The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Proxy Servers & Responses

By on May 20, 2009 6:35:42 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

We’ve internally staged the new proxy server update for Demigod.  It’s going through QA right now but it’s looking like it won’t pass QA tonight due to just sheer lack of time.  Last week we had a lot of people working late into the night in QA to get builds but I’m trying to avoid having people working crazy hours now that the MP works for most people pretty flawlessly.

Here are the things that the update is supposed to do:

1. If a user failed direct connect and then fails to connect via NAT it will send them over to a proxy server that will host the game for them. In theory, it should be pretty bullet proof but you’d be surprised how hard it is to test since, not surprisingly, “direct connect and NAT work great here!”.
  2. Supposedly the favor points and favor items work properly. But I’ve heard this before so I’ll believe it when I see it.
  3. Supposedly, and I haven’t verified this personally yet, the /noAI option is in which will prevent AI players from being in pantheon or skirmish games.
  4. When looking to join pantheon or skirmish games, Demigod will tell you once it starts polling users, how many people are looking for games. By doing so, we can increase the match making max time from 2 minutes to 5 minutes so that players can get better quality matches.

But it’s not looking like it’ll go up tonight for the public.

Some comments from “What the hell happened?”

I get around the net too and the article I wrote that outlined specifically what happened with Demigod got out there. There have been lots of interesting comments on the net and I thought I’d take this opportunity to respond to some of them.

How did they not perform any simulations or trial runs with players connecting out over the internet in order to stress test this? If they did, how could their testing not notice that routers in general don't like large numbers of listening sockets on it's clients? This is a serious amateur mistake.

Very few routers have a problem with this.  The problem was not the # of sockets but the precise timing needed in handing off the sockets. We didn’t realize until 2 weeks in that the scalability problem in Demigod’s MP matchmaking was due to the third party network library we used having up to 30 to 40 second delays once there were thousands of players on.  During the beta, users ran into this problem too and the solution was to add more servers and increase the timing threshold from <1 second (in beta 2) to around 5 seconds for beta 3f and release).  But the delays we saw weren’t 3 or 4 seconds but 30, 40, 60 seconds. It increased exponentially not linearly.

Minus an open public MP beta, this would never have been found.  In hindsight, that’s what we should have done, clearly.  But neither Stardock or Gas Powered Games, both with considerable experience in this area, foresaw a problem. Clearly we blew it.  The ultimate answer is that neither of us have ever released a game that was primarily played multiplayer and so our assumptions on what to expect were simply wrong.

I thought it was so distasteful how this team tried to blame Gamestop for releasing the game early... but then the big problem with the game really ended up being shitty coding on their part. I kind of think Stardock is full of whiny bitches now.

The Gamestop early release didn’t help matters but it did expose that the MP system didn’t scale well.  And while Stardock takes full responsibility for the decisions it made. The issues involved don’t involve Stardock “code”.  We are the publisher of the game and licensed third-party tech.  The third party tech works very well under normal circumstances but simply had not been used in a P2P game like this.  As the publisher, we made the final call on what tech was used for this so it’s ultimately our fault.

Soooooooooooo they are going to do it right this time with their Single Player [Elemental] game, but not fix Demigod so it's server hosted?

We can only do things “right” on games we code.  Moreover, Elemental is a turn-based game and thus a client/server game is less sensitive to latency than a RTS like Demigod.  For the record, I support GPG’s MP design given what was known at the time.  Every RTS I know of, other than Sins of a Solar Empire, is P2P.

What is going on these days with company reps feeling obligated to explain the intricate deatils of the inner-workings of their, engine, business strategies, technical issues.

Here's news to anyone in the future who feels compelled to offer an explanation for whatever bad befalls their company.

No one cares why. Notice in sports how there isn't a "Loseres circle" where the losers get to rationalize and explain why they lost. Sadly reporters force the loser coaches to speak up these days but in general we do not celebrate the loser.

So buck up kiddies. This is a tough inductry, not for the faint of heart. When you fail you (should) fail alone. Don't bring the rest of us down with your miserable stories of failure.

This comment is particularly hard to address.  Demigod is certainly not a “failure” by any standard.  While I might focus on the negative (clearly, I’m a glass is half empty kind of guy), Demgod’s reviews put it well in the upper list of games released this year (particularly if you remove the first week reviews).  Its sales are quite strong, particularly digitally.  That doesn’t mean the multiplayer launch wasn’t a total cluster. It was. But I don’t think that makes Demigod anything remotely approaching a failure. In the long-run the game’s constant updating and growing community will ensure it has a strong long-term future.

That said, I also believe strongly that when a product or service has problems in some area that the company who produces (or publishes) it should be very up front with their customers.  Maybe I’m wrong and people are sick of these journal entries but that’s my view on it.

+897 Karma | 90 Replies
May 21, 2009 2:13:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What is going on these days with company reps feeling obligated to explain the intricate deatils of the inner-workings of their, engine, business strategies, technical issues.
Here's news to anyone in the future who feels compelled to offer an explanation for whatever bad befalls their company.
No one cares why. Notice in sports how there isn't a "Loseres circle" where the losers get to rationalize and explain why they lost. Sadly reporters force the loser coaches to speak up these days but in general we do not celebrate the loser.
So buck up kiddies. This is a tough inductry, not for the faint of heart. When you fail you (should) fail alone. Don't bring the rest of us down with your miserable stories of failure.

Human nature rears its head again. It might not be correct, but my interpretation of that comment is that it's the "First line of defence for the Ego: Ridicule the threat". It may involve an attempt at laughing at it, but it definitely involves trying to belittle and mock it. Why? Because it helps get rid of that nagging feeling of "why aren't we doing this?"

Having said that, people have a point that forums are a small, un-representative yet vocal fraction of the population. Even the chatroom is un-representative of the full population, I wonder how many can even communicate in English. Still, scrapping these updates just because it doesn't reach out to everyone is folly. Some people being placated is better than none. Those some people will also help spread word-of-mouth to those who don't directly read your updates. Something good is better than nothing.

May 21, 2009 4:40:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Keep up the good work!

All I want to say on this.

May 21, 2009 5:55:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

This is GPG's and Stardock's first multiplayer centric title so give them some time.

They've had a whole month and a beta to get the main feature of their game working, the multiplayer. And it's still not working properly for quite a big portion of the people that purchased the game. It being their first game centered around multiplayer doesn't excuse not testing their main feature thoroughly, or taking so long to fix it.

However I still appreciate all their hard work and hope it all pays off soon, but I can't say they're making good time at all, or gaining my confidence that they'll fix it anytime soon considering a lot of the patches felt like one step forward and two steps back.

May 21, 2009 6:48:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting IllegalDustbin,

Quoting ZehDon, reply 22
This is GPG's and Stardock's first multiplayer centric title so give them some time.

They've had a whole month and a beta to get the main feature of their game working, the multiplayer. And it's still not working properly for quite a big portion of the people that purchased the game. It being their first game centered around multiplayer doesn't excuse not testing their main feature thoroughly, or taking so long to fix it.

However I still appreciate all their hard work and hope it all pays off soon, but I can't say they're making good time at all, or gaining my confidence that they'll fix it anytime soon considering a lot of the patches felt like one step forward and two steps back.

They've already mentioned that hindsight, they would have done better to do an open beta instead to catch the problems they had now.

They didn't do that and problems were found after it went live. They've been doing everything they can to fix it ever since.

Also, I can ensure you, when the problem is within the library they were using or due to a design flaw, one month isn't nearly enough to fix it.

I have confidence that they will eventually do it. All we can do now is just be patient.

May 21, 2009 7:08:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As for me - i'm not sick of your journals! I like to know what company does to fix its games, i have a big respect for you that you communicate with people in this way and you can even sincerely admit mistakes (in cotrast to valve, which doesn't even bother to talk to some of their customers, not mention to say that they were wrong in some matters).

I gladly read all your journals (so please continue writing them) and they ensure me that you are working hard on this game (one of the best i played).I know it's a hard work and eventually you will solve all problems.

May 21, 2009 7:11:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The problem was not the # of sockets but the precise timing needed in handing off the sockets. We didn’t realize until 2 weeks in that the scalability problem in Demigod’s MP matchmaking was due to the third party network library we used having up to 30 to 40 second delays once there were thousands of players on.  During the beta, users ran into this problem too and the solution was to add more servers and increase the timing threshold from <1 second (in beta 2) to around 5 seconds for beta 3f and release).  But the delays we saw weren’t 3 or 4 seconds but 30, 40, 60 seconds. It increased exponentially not linearly.

This really bugs me. What kind of game-centered network solution is not designed to accomodate thousands of players simultaneously without crapping out (and exponential complexity? christ...)? I'm not into networking, but shouldn't that be a bare minimum of users you'd expect a commercial PC title to handle?

May 21, 2009 7:28:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Aeris130,

quoting postThe problem was not the # of sockets but the precise timing needed in handing off the sockets. We didn’t realize until 2 weeks in that the scalability problem in Demigod’s MP matchmaking was due to the third party network library we used having up to 30 to 40 second delays once there were thousands of players on.  During the beta, users ran into this problem too and the solution was to add more servers and increase the timing threshold from <1 second (in beta 2) to around 5 seconds for beta 3f and release).  But the delays we saw weren’t 3 or 4 seconds but 30, 40, 60 seconds. It increased exponentially not linearly.
This really bugs me. What kind of game-centered network solution is not designed to accomodate thousands of players simultaneously without crapping out (and exponential complexity? christ...)? I'm not into networking, but shouldn't that be a bare minimum of users you'd expect a commercial PC title to handle?

I feel that everyone is justified in thier complaining as the game does not seem to work as advertised...Just throwing out my take on the matter here.

The problem is that you'd think that although it may increase at a large rate based on the number of players, it was assumed it would be a linear scaling.   Using induction you could easily run the risk of having this problem crop up since you wouldn't actually 'know' until you tested it on a large enough scale.

Essentially, the coding they are using is less and less effective the more people they have as apposed to running at the same effectiveness proportional to the server support.

It's a fundamental problem with inefficient algorithms.....the sort of thing you can have if you have a method call itself........I can't speak for thier coding that they are using however.....linear scaling is what you would assume unless you understood the very basis of the coding due to the fact that they had a linear correlation model from thier testing (Correlation and cause-ation are two different things sadly).  

One could say that thier testing didn't cover enough or that they shouldn't have used the code that they did........It's rather like if you told a bunch of people to all create one fluid program, and gave everyone a specific task to complete....well.......one of the methods created wasn't as efficient or used appropriately as designed, so the projections were off even after thier level of testing.....blah blah blah....anyway you get the picture.

A great example of how this sort of production can easily have things slip through the gap, especially as things go to a larger scale and must compensate for a large variety of possibilities (computers in general) is shown by the 'wonderful' job Microsoft manages to do upon the release of most Windows products.   While this isn't on the same scale, I'm sure you get the idea....luckily, this isn't Windows ME.

I'm not saying this justifies the fact that they released a broken product, just pointing out how it happened and that I am looking forward to being able to play this game appropriately.   I am satisfied that fixes are coming down the pipe, and glad that I could give my money and support to making a great game work appropriately....as in many cases they have to meet release deadlines....and we all know how bad that can go (here's to looking at you most movie games in past).  

Oddly enough, I love videogames...and consider it a bargain to be able to purchase the games that we can in this day and age at the price we can, broken or not.   Obviously this makes me easy to please, and I prefer and will usually defer to better product......in this case I believe that Demigod as a final product is better than many/most if for nothing else other than the LAN parties.

May 21, 2009 7:51:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People who complain are absolutely correct.

We paid money for this product.

It's been 5 weeks and still it doesn't work as advertised.

Well, I take that back.

How many people here can get 5 Pantheon games in a row that have fully balanced teams?

If 80% of people can say, Yep, I can do that, then I can only conclude that my port forwarded router/ISP must be broken and that I am going to be one of those few that will never be able to play this game 'properly'.

Considering I have a bog standard router from a very large ISP (Sky which uses the same routers as a lot of other ISPs), I'll be gobsmacked if this is the issue.

From that point of view, and from my own experience talking to people who I eventually end up in inbalanced matches, I can conclude that it is the software that is at fault (and obviously fom the fact that Frogboy tells us that it basically doesn't work too well).

So, with this in mind, why are people saying that it's wrong to complain?

I DO find the journals interesting but in reality, I just want a working product.

Taking our money and telling us on a daily basis for 5 weeks that they're trying to fix it and still be in posession of a defective product is pretty much the same as having no feedback and having a defective product....

May 21, 2009 8:23:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did not receive my karma.  The ranting will continue.  May demigod have mercy on your soul.

May 21, 2009 8:26:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MrBoingy,
... I DO find the journals interesting but in reality, I just want a working product.

Taking our money and telling us on a daily basis for 5 weeks that they're trying to fix it and still be in posession of a defective product is pretty much the same as having no feedback and having a defective product....

I understand your frustration - believe me - I too am stuck in the 5% not able to play their game. It's annoying as all hell, but judging from how far we've come so far I think we're nearly at the end of the nightmare. The Proxy servers, which will increase latency, should remove the problem I have, for example, and judging from your post we have a simillar issue where we get stuck connecting to one person.

I'm going to have to disagree with your last bit there, I think it's very different. When I purchased SPORE I had issues with the DRM as I installed it on two machines which I both use often. Boy, the nightmare that caused! Reading the forums, though, you'd think nothing was wrong. Turns out a lot of threads were closed, however from the little to no feedback that was given from the Devs as to what issues people were experiencing I thought I was a one in a million. Turns out, I wasn't. After hitting some un-offical forums, I found out a lot of people were having the same problems as me and eventually I got it solved thanks to their help. The Devs remained quiet with only the occasional post saying 'We've identified several issues and are working on their solutions for our upcoming patch' (I think that was their exact words, actually). I've since taken a vow never to buy anything from Maxis or EA Games again.
Stardock, on the other hand, made sure people knew there are issues and detailed how they were going about fixing them. I'd have gotten a refund by now if it wasn't for their constant communication with the community about whats happening, as I know that fixes are in the pipeline. If there were more hours in a day, I'm sure we'd have the patches sooner.
I'm not trying to down play the issues - I can barely play Demigod at all - however I think with just a little more patience we'll have our fixes and we can look back on all of this and laugh. And point it out to other companies as the example that should be followed when the shit hits the fan.

May 21, 2009 8:57:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Quoting Dead Ghost, reply 20And btw, i'm still wondering why CoH, SC or DoW2, all p2p games, didn't have this major problems...

The games you've listed don't use the exact system Demigod uses - for example SC (Starcraft) uses Battle.net and I believe DoW2 uses Relics own networking system. I can't comment on CoH's as I've never played that game. All of those games' developers have had previous experience with multiplayer - this is GPG's and Stardock's first multiplayer centric title so give them some time.

When i've said SC, i was referring to Supreme Commander, sorry for the confusion.

May 21, 2009 9:07:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dead Ghost,

Quoting ZehDon, reply 22
Quoting Dead Ghost, reply 20And btw, i'm still wondering why CoH, SC or DoW2, all p2p games, didn't have this major problems...

The games you've listed don't use the exact system Demigod uses - for example SC (Starcraft) uses Battle.net and I believe DoW2 uses Relics own networking system. I can't comment on CoH's as I've never played that game. All of those games' developers have had previous experience with multiplayer - this is GPG's and Stardock's first multiplayer centric title so give them some time.

When i've said SC, i was referring to Supreme Commander, sorry for the confusion.

Ya you gotta say SupCom or anyone's gonna read that as Starcraft for sure.

May 21, 2009 9:15:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't do MP and so don;t own Demigod, but do have GC and its iterations, SoaSE and Entrenchment, and an Elemental pre-order.  I find the whole discussion fascinating and a wlecome breath of fresh air compared to other developers/publishers who ignore problems and hide for months, announce a patch that they claim fixes everything, and then go back into hiding.  Brad and the whole SD team could team much of the gaming industry a good lesson in communication and customer service.

May 21, 2009 9:15:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The journal updates keep me coming back to the sites of all your games, which keeps my interest up. The honest and, most of the time, friendly communication makes me like Stardock and want to support you. So for people who are like me these updates means more sales in the long run.

May 21, 2009 9:59:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Quoting MrBoingy, reply 8... I DO find the journals interesting but in reality, I just want a working product.

I understand your frustration - believe me - I too am stuck in the 5% not able to play their game. It's annoying as all hell, but judging from how far we've come so far I think we're nearly at the end of the nightmare. The Proxy servers, which will increase latency, should remove the problem I have, for example, and judging from your post we have a simillar issue where we get stuck connecting to one person.

I'm going to have to disagree with your last bit there, I think it's very different. When I purchased SPORE I had issues with the DRM as I installed it on two machines which I both use often. Boy, the nightmare that caused! Reading the forums, though, you'd think nothing was wrong. Turns out a lot of threads were closed, however from the little to no feedback that was given from the Devs as to what issues people were experiencing I thought I was a one in a million. Turns out, I wasn't. After hitting some un-offical forums, I found out a lot of people were having the same problems as me and eventually I got it solved thanks to their help. The Devs remained quiet with only the occasional post saying 'We've identified several issues and are working on their solutions for our upcoming patch' (I think that was their exact words, actually). I've since taken a vow never to buy anything from Maxis or EA Games again.
Stardock, on the other hand, made sure people knew there are issues and detailed how they were going about fixing them. I'd have gotten a refund by now if it wasn't for their constant communication with the community about whats happening, as I know that fixes are in the pipeline. If there were more hours in a day, I'm sure we'd have the patches sooner.
I'm not trying to down play the issues - I can barely play Demigod at all - however I think with just a little more patience we'll have our fixes and we can look back on all of this and laugh. And point it out to other companies as the example that should be followed when the shit hits the fan.

Yeah but the thing is, I don't think it's only 5% who can't play Pantheon. I think it's helluva lot more. Sure custom games, where u can pick and choose and kick people out, that's probably less problematical.

I think MOST people can't play Pantheon properly (ie have balanced teams).

I'm not too worried about latency cos SupCom used to set people at 500ms (actually, that sounds very high now I think about it but it was set at something that was pretty high). I'm presuming it won't hammer latency much more than that. It's not like Demigod is an ultra fast FPS or anything and it has very few units compared to your SupComs/AoEs etc.

And as for having patience, what is patience? Is that 3 days like when WAR came out, the first few days were pretty bad. Is it a month? Is it 2 months?

I just don't like it when people take my money, give me a defective product and say they will fix it in due course.

I also don't like it when people do a small closed beta and are surprised when it doesn't work in retail. Anyone who is in the game industry/plays games knows this will NEVER work.

I also don't like it when people say, You can't expect them to get it right first time cos they've never done it before and they don't have infinite resources of Blizzard. Don't take my money before it's fully working.

I also don't like it when people point at other defective products and say, Look, at least it's better than xxxxx. How does this help me with my current defective product?

I just don't think it's acceptable that the software industry is allowed to consistently bring out borked products and patch it at some later period after they have your money.

The thing is, I think the life cycle of a game like Demigod is going to be ultra short if people can't easily play a MP game within the first 2-3 months.

If they're hoping for a good player base to exist in 6 months time, they're absolutely deluding themselves. You've got SC2 coming out and maybe even D3.

I think SupCom suffered the same. Ultra ropey MP at first coupled with horrendous memory leaks. By the time it was mostly fixed, people had left the game and it was a shame cos it truly was great.

If Demigod worked, I'd be doing a fanboy dance all over these daily journals saying how brilliant the game/SD/GPG are.

I was showing a friend of mine how good Frogboy is at doing great journals. Few weeks later he asks me, shall I buy it now? My only answer is, No. 

What a shame.

May 21, 2009 11:52:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is anyone else slowly being reminded more and more of Hellgate: London, the longer this goes on?

The way they keep plugging this Elemental game of theirs reminds me of how Hellgate: London's devs kept going on about how they're going to fix Hellgate, but they just constantly suggested everyone go check out their other game, Mythos. Then ultimately, Flagship Studios sold Hellgate, sold Mythos, and shut down. I don't think that exact situation is going to play out, but simply the reminder is enough.

It's starting to feel like that, and that really worries me. Is Demigod ever really going to work properly? Really? Because if this is all fluff to give us hope for something that they honestly don't know if it will ever work, then I think I'd rather just hear the hard truth.

I haven't had many issues personally (besides being able to play with random people online, but not my friends because they don't have router access, as MANY people do not) but I think that if the game is honestly unfixable, then maybe they should cut their losses, take it back to the drawing board, rewrite their netcode, and issue a rerelease or something, much like The Witcher had its Enhanced Edition rerelease.

May 21, 2009 12:01:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kei-chan,
Is anyone else slowly being reminded more and more of Hellgate: London, the longer this goes on?

I haven't had many issues personally (besides being able to play with random people online, but not my friends because they don't have router access, as MANY people do not) but I think that if the game is honestly unfixable, then maybe they should cut their losses, take it back to the drawing board, rewrite their netcode, and issue a rerelease or something, much like The Witcher had its Enhanced Edition rerelease.

Are you having very few issues?

How good is your experience with Pantheon?

May 21, 2009 12:02:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Point Blank, if I hadn't been kept so tightly in the loop by your posts, then I would have gotten a refund for the game and sworn off StarDock altogether. Now I'm excited to get more Stardock games like Elemental since I know you're a company of heart and humility and won't leave me dry and broken after I buy your games.

I was one of the poor suckers that bought Dungeon Lords...

May 21, 2009 12:53:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Funny remark, really, considering how very many people praised you for the updates.  I can say for a fact that they kept me willing to give benefit of the doubt, when I otherwise might've thrown my hands up and walked away.  I play a lot of MMOs.  A LOT.  It's a genre prone to unpredictable, sudden failure of servers.  I can't begin to tell you how much I wish the publishers of the MMOs I play would provide the kind of detail you did, instead of "We're aware of the problem and we're working on a solution."  Great, glad to hear it.  Why is there a problem, and what's being done about it?  That's what you provided with these updates.  The longer a problem runs, the more important it is for me to have at least some understanding of it in order for me to be willing to tolerate continued problems.

People like the guy you quoted remind me of parents who act like jerks at their kids' little league games, chewing their kid out, etc.  He's right about only one thing: end the end, customers need results.  While you're working on results, though, knowing how you're getting there counts for a lot.

May 21, 2009 1:11:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Locklear93,

quoting postWhat is going on these days with company reps feeling obligated to explain the intricate deatils of the inner-workings of their, engine, business strategies, technical issues.

Funny remark, really, considering how very many people praised you for the updates.  I can say for a fact that they kept me willing to give benefit of the doubt, when I otherwise might've thrown my hands up and walked away.  I play a lot of MMOs.  A LOT.  It's a genre prone to unpredictable, sudden failure of servers.  I can't begin to tell you how much I wish the publishers of the MMOs I play would provide the kind of detail you did, instead of "We're aware of the problem and we're working on a solution."  Great, glad to hear it.  Why is there a problem, and what's being done about it?  That's what you provided with these updates.  The longer a problem runs, the more important it is for me to have at least some understanding of it in order for me to be willing to tolerate continued problems.

People like the guy you quoted remind me of parents who act like jerks at their kids' little league games, chewing their kid out, etc.  He's right about only one thing: end the end, customers need results.  While you're working on results, though, knowing how you're getting there counts for a lot.

What on earth do pushy parents and this have anything in common?!

With kids, it's not like paying for something and getting a defective product is it?

Do you work? If so, I bet your bosses love it when you hand in an erroneous report and 5 weeks later you still haven't fixed it. Maybe your bosses say, it's ok, I'm sure it's really hard but thanks for keeping us updated on why you can't get it right.

As an MMO fan, you should know better than to put up with bad service. Unless you like constantly playing over-hyped games like AoC and WAR. Who cares if there's no end game.. let's release, get people's money and then develop it!

May 21, 2009 1:25:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Brad,

I for one appreciate the updates.  I would agree with previous statements that the vocal minority is not representative of the collective Demigod community.  Unfortunately there is no 'stupid' filter on the internet so we.  I would venture to say the vocal people have no idea what kind of work goes into developing a robust P2P system.  There are always going to be unknowns and discoveries along the way.  I can't remember that far back but my guess is that battle.net wasn't a winner out of the gate, it's even run into its fair share of issues well after release proving that nothing is perfect and in software development, even the best laid plans...

I think that more developers/publishers should be more in touch with the community, I think it gives everyone a glimpse into the process, which clearly a lot of folks need to gain an understanding and rationale before they go off half cocked on a forum about how their lives are ruined because they can't connect to an MP match of Demigod.  I think some people need to go outside more often.

As is true in all aspects of life, you can't please everyone and simply not saying a word would have created an uproar of equal or possibly greater proportions.  I enjoy reading your updates, I am a pretty technical person and appreciate reading the technical explanation and the proposed solutions.  Yeah it sucks that there were/are problems but I appreciate the concerted effort going into fixing it and the corresponding updates letting us know how you're tackling the issues.

Keep it up!

May 21, 2009 2:22:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any word on this coming out this night? I really wanna get non-bot online going.

May 21, 2009 2:48:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MrBoingy,
People who complain are absolutely correct.

We paid money for this product.

It's been 5 weeks and still it doesn't work as advertised.

Well, I take that back.

How many people here can get 5 Pantheon games in a row that have fully balanced teams?

If 80% of people can say, Yep, I can do that, then I can only conclude that my port forwarded router/ISP must be broken and that I am going to be one of those few that will never be able to play this game 'properly'.

Considering I have a bog standard router from a very large ISP (Sky which uses the same routers as a lot of other ISPs), I'll be gobsmacked if this is the issue.

From that point of view, and from my own experience talking to people who I eventually end up in inbalanced matches, I can conclude that it is the software that is at fault (and obviously fom the fact that Frogboy tells us that it basically doesn't work too well).

So, with this in mind, why are people saying that it's wrong to complain?

I DO find the journals interesting but in reality, I just want a working product.

I find that most people who complain haven't ever bought a Stardock game before. Those of us who have know that Stardock ALWAYS manages to come through in the end. They work their asses off and try to support the customer as much as possible. If I hadn't bought Gal Civ II and seen just how much effort Stardock puts into making everything run smooth, I'd likely be complaining, but, I did buy it, so, I'm not complaining.

May 21, 2009 2:58:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The way they keep plugging this Elemental game of theirs reminds me of how Hellgate: London's devs kept going on about how they're going to fix Hellgate, but they just constantly suggested everyone go check out their other game, Mythos. Then ultimately, Flagship Studios sold Hellgate, sold Mythos, and shut down. I don't think that exact situation is going to play out, but simply the reminder is enough.

I supposed dumb people would be reminded of it.

Smart people would say that Gas Powered Games made Demigod not Stardock. 

If Stardock is guilty of anything it is their almost masochistic behavior in taking blame for things that are not under their control.

Elemental is something they control, they code that.  Demigod isn't coded by Stardock. The blame they are taking is that they did not see the networking problems and they chose the third party network library the turned out not to work out well when a lot of people used it.

And what did they (Stardock) do about it? Did they toss Gas Powered Games to the wolves? Did they point peopel to Raknet's website and tell people to complain to him to fix his bugs? No. They brought in their OWN development team to write a whole new system that does seem to work pretty well for most people and they have promised it will get a lot better.

In other words, the situations are not remotely similar.

May 21, 2009 3:38:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheDarkshineKnight,

Quoting MrBoingy, reply 8People who complain are absolutely correct.

I find that most people who complain haven't ever bought a Stardock game before. Those of us who have know that Stardock ALWAYS manages to come through in the end. They work their asses off and try to support the customer as much as possible. If I hadn't bought Gal Civ II and seen just how much effort Stardock puts into making everything run smooth, I'd likely be complaining, but, I did buy it, so, I'm not complaining.

I have bought Sins of a Solar Empire, thank you very much.

When you say, Come thru in the end, what do u mean by that? What kind of time scale are we looking at?

I just tried to join another pantheon match.

Half an hour later I get a game. Me and 1 other player on the same team against a bunch of AI.

Whether it's SD/GPG who made it... does it really matter? Why do they need praise for trying to fix a broken product that has been paid for? All I know is that I paid SD.

And as for the post by PsycloneTW:

Are you sure that people who can't get a fair Pantheon match are the 'vocal minority' Maybe it's the vocal majority?

Why do people who complain need to be gagged by a stupid filter?

In what way were there UNKNOWNS in matchmaking systems after countless amounts of RTSs have been made?

Some people need to go out more often? I work during the day, I come home, I spent however much on this game and all I want to do is have a quick game as advertised. Why do u infer that all I do is play video games all day long?

You can't please EVERYONE? I'm sorry but what percentage of people can get a fair Pantheon match.. let's say 80% of the time? Yeah sure, pleasing everyone is hard but how about making a system that lets you have a 50% success rate at least?

But I will say this for nothing. When this proxy system comes out this week that will let me have fair teams for 95% of Pantheon matches, I'll be the first to come here and say, Thank you for finally giving me the game I paid for, even tho I don't think it's right that I should thank someone for fixing something 5 weeks after it's been paid for.

Perhaps I'm a closet fanboy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000468   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.