The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Proxy Servers & Responses

By on May 20, 2009 6:35:42 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

We’ve internally staged the new proxy server update for Demigod.  It’s going through QA right now but it’s looking like it won’t pass QA tonight due to just sheer lack of time.  Last week we had a lot of people working late into the night in QA to get builds but I’m trying to avoid having people working crazy hours now that the MP works for most people pretty flawlessly.

Here are the things that the update is supposed to do:

1. If a user failed direct connect and then fails to connect via NAT it will send them over to a proxy server that will host the game for them. In theory, it should be pretty bullet proof but you’d be surprised how hard it is to test since, not surprisingly, “direct connect and NAT work great here!”.
  2. Supposedly the favor points and favor items work properly. But I’ve heard this before so I’ll believe it when I see it.
  3. Supposedly, and I haven’t verified this personally yet, the /noAI option is in which will prevent AI players from being in pantheon or skirmish games.
  4. When looking to join pantheon or skirmish games, Demigod will tell you once it starts polling users, how many people are looking for games. By doing so, we can increase the match making max time from 2 minutes to 5 minutes so that players can get better quality matches.

But it’s not looking like it’ll go up tonight for the public.

Some comments from “What the hell happened?”

I get around the net too and the article I wrote that outlined specifically what happened with Demigod got out there. There have been lots of interesting comments on the net and I thought I’d take this opportunity to respond to some of them.

How did they not perform any simulations or trial runs with players connecting out over the internet in order to stress test this? If they did, how could their testing not notice that routers in general don't like large numbers of listening sockets on it's clients? This is a serious amateur mistake.

Very few routers have a problem with this.  The problem was not the # of sockets but the precise timing needed in handing off the sockets. We didn’t realize until 2 weeks in that the scalability problem in Demigod’s MP matchmaking was due to the third party network library we used having up to 30 to 40 second delays once there were thousands of players on.  During the beta, users ran into this problem too and the solution was to add more servers and increase the timing threshold from <1 second (in beta 2) to around 5 seconds for beta 3f and release).  But the delays we saw weren’t 3 or 4 seconds but 30, 40, 60 seconds. It increased exponentially not linearly.

Minus an open public MP beta, this would never have been found.  In hindsight, that’s what we should have done, clearly.  But neither Stardock or Gas Powered Games, both with considerable experience in this area, foresaw a problem. Clearly we blew it.  The ultimate answer is that neither of us have ever released a game that was primarily played multiplayer and so our assumptions on what to expect were simply wrong.

I thought it was so distasteful how this team tried to blame Gamestop for releasing the game early... but then the big problem with the game really ended up being shitty coding on their part. I kind of think Stardock is full of whiny bitches now.

The Gamestop early release didn’t help matters but it did expose that the MP system didn’t scale well.  And while Stardock takes full responsibility for the decisions it made. The issues involved don’t involve Stardock “code”.  We are the publisher of the game and licensed third-party tech.  The third party tech works very well under normal circumstances but simply had not been used in a P2P game like this.  As the publisher, we made the final call on what tech was used for this so it’s ultimately our fault.

Soooooooooooo they are going to do it right this time with their Single Player [Elemental] game, but not fix Demigod so it's server hosted?

We can only do things “right” on games we code.  Moreover, Elemental is a turn-based game and thus a client/server game is less sensitive to latency than a RTS like Demigod.  For the record, I support GPG’s MP design given what was known at the time.  Every RTS I know of, other than Sins of a Solar Empire, is P2P.

What is going on these days with company reps feeling obligated to explain the intricate deatils of the inner-workings of their, engine, business strategies, technical issues.

Here's news to anyone in the future who feels compelled to offer an explanation for whatever bad befalls their company.

No one cares why. Notice in sports how there isn't a "Loseres circle" where the losers get to rationalize and explain why they lost. Sadly reporters force the loser coaches to speak up these days but in general we do not celebrate the loser.

So buck up kiddies. This is a tough inductry, not for the faint of heart. When you fail you (should) fail alone. Don't bring the rest of us down with your miserable stories of failure.

This comment is particularly hard to address.  Demigod is certainly not a “failure” by any standard.  While I might focus on the negative (clearly, I’m a glass is half empty kind of guy), Demgod’s reviews put it well in the upper list of games released this year (particularly if you remove the first week reviews).  Its sales are quite strong, particularly digitally.  That doesn’t mean the multiplayer launch wasn’t a total cluster. It was. But I don’t think that makes Demigod anything remotely approaching a failure. In the long-run the game’s constant updating and growing community will ensure it has a strong long-term future.

That said, I also believe strongly that when a product or service has problems in some area that the company who produces (or publishes) it should be very up front with their customers.  Maybe I’m wrong and people are sick of these journal entries but that’s my view on it.

+897 Karma | 90 Replies
May 21, 2009 3:56:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"...that the MP works for most people pretty flawlessly."

Guess it works "fine" for the 5 - 10 hosts which are currently hosting a custom game in the match lobby.

May 21, 2009 3:57:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anyone has a tip what I can do so myself or my friends can get connected by someone ?

We only get connected to 1 person and everyone who tries connecting to us fails.

We have no software or hardware firewalls running.

MP worked fine on 13th & 14th May for us.

May 21, 2009 4:06:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can wait. I work in software development and know how long it can take to solve something of this complexity, even if it "has been done before." While SD hopes that the proxies today/tomorrow will solve a good portion of the problem, I think that it will be another month or two before things are in really good shape.

Look at Dawn of War 2. The game has been out for over 3 months and they still haven't gotten match making down properly. The lobby is non-existing (doesn't even have a refresh button. you have to wait until it decides to refresh), people are constantly matched against players that out-rank them despite the team's claim that you should be getting matched against equal ranked players, the AI is piss-poor (the last patch helped but it still needs a lot of work) and random disconnects mid-game are not uncommon. These are the guys that brought you Company of Heroes, Homeworld and a slew of other MP games.

DGs problems will not be solved in a week or two no matter how much time and resources they pour into it. Your best bet is to be patient. If you can't stand it, play something else and come back in a month to see where things are at.

May 21, 2009 4:21:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dawn2 matchmaking works fine, Ive played over 100 multiplayer 3v3 matches.

We never had an ingame tech-disconnect in that amount of games.

Started playing on the 1st day of the German box release.

I dont care about the AI in Dawn or Demigod, we just would like to be able to play multiplayer Demigod somehow again.

Your writing that the problems will get solved over time, but the community manager in the forum here is writing that MP now works fine for most people.

-------------------------

Just tried a Pantheon:

The connection service wildy tried to connect 8 players. That went on for several minutes. Sometimes I was even connected to a few players and some where connected to me. At the end this match making attempt failed again for those who had been involved in the connection attempts. "Couldnt connect to the NAT facilitator".

From my point of the developers live on a different planet and arent aware of the practical problems in reality for their customers which try to play MP. So much for MP working nearly "flawless".

May 21, 2009 4:36:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

"That said, I also believe strongly that when a product or service has problems in some area that the company who produces (or publishes) it should be very up front with their customers.  Maybe I’m wrong and people are sick of these journal entries but that’s my view on it."

No, I absolutely agree with you, Stardock's openness about mistakes or other unpopular issues is one of the main reasons I think you actually care about customer satisfaction apart from the consequent profits.  I'm much more likely to buy a Stardock gamethan a game developed/published by a company with the standard CYA approach.

May 21, 2009 4:48:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Go stardock squash the bugs and make this game as great as it should be!!!

May 21, 2009 5:25:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dawn2 match making does not work fine for me. Maybe I'm in the 5% that has connection problems in that game.

Edit: Woops, quoted wrong person.

While some people don't care for AIs, I care about Dawn2s AI considering I can't reliably play online.

May 21, 2009 5:32:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For testing of that title switch of software/hardware firewalls.

If you then still dont manage to connect I would phone the support to get help.

May 21, 2009 8:22:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Axyun,

Look at Dawn of War 2. The game has been out for over 3 months and they still haven't gotten match making down properly. The lobby is non-existing (doesn't even have a refresh button. you have to wait until it decides to refresh), people are constantly matched against players that out-rank them despite the team's claim that you should be getting matched against equal ranked players, the AI is piss-poor (the last patch helped but it still needs a lot of work) and random disconnects mid-game are not uncommon. These are the guys that brought you Company of Heroes, Homeworld and a slew of other MP games.

DGs problems will not be solved in a week or two no matter how much time and resources they pour into it. Your best bet is to be patient. If you can't stand it, play something else and come back in a month to see where things are at.

Have you actually played DoW II, or are you just talking out of an alternate orifice?

My dear, most customers did not have issues with actually playing DoW II multiplayer. Yes, matchmaking originally was poor, and yes, some lobby features are missing. But at least you could enter a game, establish a stable connection to other playerrs, and be reasonably assured that other players are not going to be dropped by the game.

Not everyone can do this with DG, and many have had this problem since released.

The issues you mentioned are relatively minor in comparison to not being able to play a multiplayer game at all.

Not only that, but in DoW II, matchmaking is working now. Also, random disconnects mid-game are uncommon. On those two points, you're simply mistaken.

We're not talking about solving DG's problems in a couple of weeks, though problems this severe should have been solved in a couple of weeks. We're talking about a released game that has been so broken for a couple of months that it essentially cannot be played at all for a very large number of players.

So no, DoW II's release was much more succesful, and yes, you're wrong.

In addition, I have gotten my 75% discount. I am not going to bother with the other 25% partly because I appreciate SD's and GPG's dedication and partly because I'm just too lazy to bother sending in DG's box.

May 22, 2009 12:26:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting knardi,
...it's ridiculous for someone to object to the publishing of information that they are not required to read on the grounds that they don't want to read it.

QFMFT

May 22, 2009 12:40:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

>Every RTS I know of, other than Sins of a Solar Empire, is P2P.

I think you guys are making some eroneous assumptions about how other major RTS developers make their games (blizzard). Blizzard doesn't host the game on their servers, but their topology doesn't look like yours either, as near as I can tell.

In WCIII there are no shenanigans trying to work around NAT. If you don't forward your ports, you can't host, but you can still connect as a client. Also, I don't think everyone is connected to everyone else. I get the impression that there is one server, and maybe some fallback mechanism to make to transform another port forwarded client into the server if the current server quits.

Think about this. WCIII has 12 player games with *TCP*. They do not use UDP, or at least do not require you to forward UDP traffic. They may be doing NAT tricks, but I doubt it... becuase as you know by now, those don't work reliably, and WCIII *does* work reliably. If they were using the everyone connects to everyone else model you think they are, that means they would have n(n-1)/2= *66* TCP connections open at all time over the whole graph. Yet warcraft plays very smoothly... The logical conclusion is they are not using peer to peer, but getting many of the benefits of the peer to peer model without the costs.

The game tries to make it *look* like it is peer to peer by simulating lag on the host if the clients are lagging. However, if you play the game you can recognize that the UI behaves differently if you are lagging as host or as client.

My impression from the behavior of the game is that they have one host, who everyone connects to, and who must have port 6112 accessible. However clients have a complete copy of the state of the game, and all clients are aware of all other clients that are accessible (port forwarded). I think that there is then some kind of mechanism for picking the next fall back host if the current host disconnects, and just having all clients connect to that guy.

I've been in games where the host dropped and someone else picked up the game. I've also been in games where there were many players, but most weren't port forwarded. The host dropped, and everyone else was subsequently dropped as well.

Now, maybe you guys know for a fact that I am wrong. Maybe you have hired one of blizzard's networking guys. Maybe you've spent some time in wireshark looking at WCIII network traffic. However, my impression at this point is that you did not do those things... becuase if you did your game's networking should be *at least* as reliable as WCIII, which it is not.

May 22, 2009 1:35:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Warcraft III and Starcraft are plain simple, old fashion tried and tested Server/Client TCP.

The game creator acts as the host, all other players(clients) in that game send/recieve information to/from other clients through the host. Clients only connect to the host, not each other.

The host must have good upload bandwidth and must have his ports forwarded, the game makes no attempt to work around network issues and routers (blocked ports/NAT). Clients do not need to forward ports and can play with much less upload bandwidth. If you are a client and the game is using 2.5kb/s upload speed, then to host a 5v5 game, you need atleast 22.5kb/s upload bandwidth.

In the case the host rage quits or is disconnected, the game will attempt to find a replacement host amongst the clients with open ports.

May 23, 2009 12:50:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Denominus, yes, that's the impression I got playing the game. I don't know why Frogboy seems to think that RTS are peer to peer... I wish they had just gone with the tried and true model.

Peer to peer sounds sexy... but it is not a good idea for a video game. Video games != bittorrent.

Working around NAT *sounds* like a good idea too, but I have yet to see anyone do it reliably, and people have been trying for years.

May 29, 2009 1:20:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

after i added " /serverproxyonly" to the shortcut my ping is now 200 from 800. good work i hope more proxy for asia people

June 1, 2009 6:16:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The proxy servers don't work for me, sadly. I am still unable to connect to multiplayer games.

Sadly for me, I've NEVER yet connected to ANY single multiplayer game after purchasing Demigod for a month or so...

I've really hit a wall on Demigod and am just going to quit it altogether since refund is impossible here. I guess I can only hope for the best and just treat this as a lesson learnt not to purchase any P2P games anymore.

Whats more I've sent Stardock an email on my network log and they claim they'll return a reply within a few working days, but I'm GLAD to say I've got a reply. Woot for WEEKEND IMPULSE BUY emails!!! Great reply.

I understand that my connection issues might have to do with my ISP, but Stardock never even bothered to attempt to reply the email I sent them. Thats what I find that is absurb. Even if they can't find a solution, won't it help by replying either way?

Kudosssssss Stardock.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.