The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Map Idea: Canyon (With Pics)

By on May 19, 2009 7:35:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums External Link

TheScottish...

Join Date 04/2009
+81

For those who have read my other suggestions here is another.  For those who haven't here are two more of my ideas:

Gate

Knot

Now for my new idea.  Basic idea was to (again) create a map that allowed grunts to switch paths so that there is more strategic element to the game involving big team communication.  With this in mind I came up with an idea for "destructible" features in the map so that grunts are redirected to and fro.  Than map is called Canyon

Map: Canyon

Canyon is a relatively large map, probably big enough to support 5v5 match ups, but the core idea might be able to transpire into smaller maps as well.  The basic layout is this:

Environment

Basic description would be a map in a sort of Grand Canyon environment... lots of boulders and pretty sunset looking backgrounds with one large canyon cutting the map n half.  Each side will have it citadel in one of the half circles in the centre and grunts will spawn and run up and around and into the enemy.  Between these two is a large canyon (like mention before) and to cross this canyon there are bridges (the brown things).  These bridges are destructible but I will talk about that more in a bit.

Structures

As you can see below the towers are in basic formation; protecting the portals and lanes.  There are four portals: two by the citadel and two in each corner just above.  Flags can be placed by the portals to allow for enemy capture and maybe some strategic flags placed around the bridges (but not on, like I’ll explain in a bit). 

Grunts

Grunts will run in a pretty basic fashion.  Out the portal, around the curve, over the bridge and into the enemy.  In the picture below I’ve got the default route for the grunts provided all the bridges are intact.  Ideally I would like to see the portals times so that grunts all cross the bridge at the same time.  This means that the two on the corners would have to be spaced ahead so the grunts can get a head start.

(Make sure to note that the portals in the corners: the grunts will cross over to the opposite side before crossing the bridge)

The Bridges

This is where the bulk of the map is made.  basically the bridges are destructible... being with enough AoE damage to the are the bridge will collapse causing DG's and grunts to take another route before crossing.  Obviously this isn't that simple so I’ll go over the ground rules I’ve made up.

Rules:

1. Only AoE damage can affect the bridges, they cannot be targeted directly (eg. Rook's Hammer Slam does damage)
  2. After reaching a certain amount of damage the bridge will begin to "bleed out" taking 10- 30 hp in damage a sec until it collapse.
  3. When the bridge collapses all grunts and DG's on the bridge at the time will fall to their deaths.
  4. Once collapsed the bridge will remain unusable for around 10 min at which point it will regenerate.
  5. The total hp in a bridge is affected by the number of remaining bridges on the map (eg. 3 bridges remain each with 150% HP, 2 Bridges remain each with 300% HP).  When only one bridge remains it becomes invulnerable until one bridge regenerates.

The Bridge: Damage

As mentioned above the bridge will take damage and eventually collapse so I’ve made up this little diagram to show the damage:

For this example I chose the total HP to be 10 000 and the critical limit to be 5 000.  So the idea is that the bridge will start to take noticeable physical damage as the game progresses with cracks and piece missing here and there.  Once it gets to the critical point it will begin to shake periodically, with crumbling and creeks coming every now and then.  Once it gets near death a final large CRACK will signal DG's to GTFO followed by a final collapse. 

With the bridge gone nothing can travel across it until it regenerates. For this some magical piece of graphical effect can show the bridge magically rebuild itself with full HP, ready for another beating.

The Bridge: Grunts

Since the bridges are key to the grunts patching a simple change of course is needed for the grunts to continue to the other side. To help with this I have an example.  Say two bridges have been taken out.  Grunt from those lanes will simply turn around and follow another path across the canyon.  Here is a piece to help:

As you can see the runts will imply join up with another group and continue across.  Simple.

Conclusion

So this is just an idea... and the main part of the idea is the bridge part.  Let me know what you think and of any changes that would make this more stable.

Locked Post 12 Replies +9
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 19, 2009 7:40:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you always come up with cool map ideas

May 19, 2009 7:46:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You have some very nice ideas! The only criticism I can think of at the moment is that 10 minutes seems like a bit too long for the bridge to regenerate. Otherwise, it looks great and I'd love to play it.

karma for creativity.

May 19, 2009 8:02:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks like fun. I wish there were more interactive elements in the current maps.

May 19, 2009 10:41:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the idea of playing defense by blowing one of the bridges. Your opponent is putting too much heat on one of your lanes? Knock the bridge down and make them focus on one of your better-defended lanes.

May 19, 2009 10:50:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds fun!

Are the gaps large enough for warps to cross?  I'm not sure whether I want them to be or not.

May 19, 2009 11:50:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks like a lot of fun. What happens if people decide to blow all the bridges at start?

May 19, 2009 11:55:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thanx for the feed back and compliments.

@JagarJack

as far as the 10 min regen time goes on the bridges i though it was kind of reasonable.  say a game lasts 40 min then that means that spending all that time destoying the bridges ensures that that lane is protects for about 25% of the game... also with 10 000 HP under its belt and up to 30 000 HP if its the 2nd last bridge then destoying it could take a lot longer than 10 min.  but that said i'd really like to hear others opinions.  would a longer or shorted time be better? or maybe have less HP and shorted regen for faster bridges?

@lambdaman

my first intention for the bridges was for them to be pretty long.  this way when you hear that final "crack" its really a run-for-your-life! situation.  so i guess warps couldn't help you cross them... they coudl thou be time just right to jump the remaining way before the collapse.  an interesting idea might be to have the bridge collapse in a cascade from the centre giving the DG even more reason to run.  what do u think thou?  would it be better to have them closer? or maybe one or two closer and the other longer?

@VyperXXX

if all the bridges (except one, like i said in the rules) were blown up then it would be a very interesting battle with 4X as many creeps and possibl 10 DG's all battling it owt on the bridge.  this would make it very interesting when the bridges start regening and we see the demigods having to run back and forth pushing and smashing bridges.

May 20, 2009 11:36:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awesome idea I would LOVE to see some of your maps made! GPG should hire you period

July 19, 2009 2:20:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i like this one and irt can be made but  there would have to be ba bit of code that stops all the bridges breaking  otherwise  it would be fucked

July 20, 2009 1:08:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just for those interested here is a render of the 3Ds max model i'm building for this map. 

currently i've added in the ground as well which included the canyon however i might have make the ground a lot larger than previously expected.  let me knwo if there is anything i should change (the actual .max file i will upload in a bit as soon as i get the last few maps finished up)

July 20, 2009 4:33:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It sounds like a great concept... just wish I could see the pictures... (I'm sitting at work & photo bucket is blocked )

Wouldn't it just be easier to make one bridge "indestructible" from the beginning? Definitely easier that trying to code in the variables.

Actually, this would be necessary, as it would always ensure that at least one lane was "open" & allow the game to continue. Otherwise, a game could end up being a stalemate, with both teams just sitting there, waiting.

It would also result in very heavy bandwidth traffic, seeing, as you'd have a mass of minions dawdling around, waiting for a path to open!

Two methods of countering downed bridges would be (assuming the gap is too big to jump):

1. Having a Rook on your team as all the DG's could then teleport to his towers, bypassing the bridges (They would be without their grunt support though, so this could be risky).
  2. One DG that would benefit from the gaps would be a Regulus using snipe... So we end up with one DG farming & doing his utmost to get Giants before a bridge comes back up.

On a side note:

Do you know if DG's can climb a slope, or are we limited to flat playing surfaces?

It could be interesting playing a "king of the hill" type of game...

Edit - Oops! I missed this post: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/359612

July 20, 2009 4:54:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think you'd have too big a mess when multiple creep lanes converged.  Sim speeds would drop and it would be difficult to identify DGs.  I would almost rather have the reinforcements run off like lemmings than be rerouted, just to be pragmatic about performance issues.

Also do reinforcements respond well to being rerouted?  Is there a pathfinding AI in place for them?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time: