The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Biggest Imba's That Need Balancing

By on May 18, 2009 9:26:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1. Rooks Towers. Simply too strong when spammed and abused - especially at higher levels. On small maps like prison they just become a joke when 8 towers are plopped up infront of your base. Something about them needs to change. Either the max cap of them goes down, the mana cost, the cooldown, the HP of it (imo this is the best solution) - any one of those is fine. NOTE: Only OP in certain situations.

2. Heart of Life + Shield. This can be done with Oak, and can provide an easy 6 seconds of very high hp and mana regen. You can use this with any Demigod if you take Orb of Defiance. Whenever you get hit - whether you actually take the damage or not, the Heart of Life regen should be interupted.

3. Heart of Life and Cape of Plentiful Mana should not let Erebus regen mana in mist form. In fact, maybe this is okay - but I think that Erebus should only be allowed in mist form for a max amount of time - 10 seconds or so maybe? (figure can change). It feels like this move can be abused pretty easily.

4. Erebus - Despite his bite nerf, he is still clearly OP. His bite should not slow you down. The fact one move with a 7 second cool down can - 1. Damage you 2. Heal 3. Slowdown 4. Reduce Armour - is just too OP imo. I still dont see why his bite needs to slow enemies down if he already starts with a base speed of 6.3. Also, im thinking bring back the old mist. Mist should also do damage to Erebus. Not crazy amounts, just slight ones. If any of you were in the beta you will know what im talking about.

So far thats the only noticeable imba I can see that definately needs balancing. If anyone else has any other imba's that they think needs balancing post here and back them up with good reasoning and logic and I will add them to the list.

+26 Karma | 121 Replies
May 19, 2009 4:44:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oak with hol is a beast and, as his name suggest, he is very hard to kill but hol recharge is 30sec and in that time 2v1 youll kill him or force him to retreat shielded.

Let him shield and use hol, when he is out of shiled you have 30 sec to deal 5000dmg nothing impossible with 2 demigod, plus you can both have hol and use it while he his grasped or retreating.

But i thin that hol shoul not work when you are in oak shield, qot shield or misted (in mist you regen only mana, but still...)

Towers farm is very powerfull but is effective only on crucible and prison because those maps are flawed, to deal with him in other map just don't let him ammass that many tower, or just contain him and control the rest of the map.

May 19, 2009 1:12:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

But i thin that hol shoul not work when you are in oak shield, qot shield or misted (in mist you regen only mana, but still...)

Oh wow - really? Didnt know you could regen the mana in mist form. That would explain why someone was using mist for 20+ seconds mid game my last match (late game u can do it for very long just with lots of mana helms). Thanks for pointing that out ill add it to the list.

Towers farm is very powerfull but is effective only on crucible and prison because those maps are flawed, to deal with him in other map just don't let him ammass that many tower, or just contain him and control the rest of the map.

This is also true. However on Cataract when he sets them up at your portal things can get pretty nasty too. I think a nerf needs to happen that will only nerf its effectiveness or mainly effective it only on the small maps like crucible and prison.

May 19, 2009 1:43:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it takes 80 seconds to set up 8 towers. i think thats plenty of time to put together a response. i'm pretty sure that if you leave ANY demigod alone for 80 seconds they'll screw you pretty bad. 

if there's one change to the Rook Towers that i might get behind it would be an adjustment to their life cycle and health pools. 

i'd like to see them naturally live longer (2 minutes instead of 90 seconds) but would automatically lose health if their host Rook was more than 30 units away from them. that way remote tower farms would be harder to set up and they would be much easier to remove if you killed the Rook, but it would keep the strong ground holding ability that Rook is designed to have. 

May 19, 2009 1:58:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it takes 80 seconds to set up 8 towers. i think thats plenty of time to put together a response. i'm pretty sure that if you leave ANY demigod alone for 80 seconds they'll screw you pretty bad.

Sigh, im getting really tired of hearing this. Once a rook has two or more towers set up and is backed up by one other Demigod, things start to become really hard to deal with. From then one you may be able to deal with him but he will slowly keep getting towers up. Even with 4 or 5 towers around your portal it becomes difficult to take back your portal.

May 19, 2009 2:00:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh, so now he needs backup from another DG, eh?

so we can talk about how much a pain in the ass it is when a Sedna and a Torchbearer go in and decide to camp your portal flag. 

or we can talk about how Oak and Unclean Beast will assassinate infinite demigods in -14 seconds. 

come on man. 

May 19, 2009 2:12:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No he doesnt need back up from another DG im just giving a realistic example. Try 1v1'ing a Rook with 3+ towers set up around him, tell me how it goes.

Btw how long you played Demigod?

May 19, 2009 2:37:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Two days ago I played a fortress match against a Rook with a Queen of Thorns as an ally on Crucible. QoT would bramble shield him so he could set up towers and attack our defenses without taking damage. He set up a group of towers in the lane leading out of our base so we couldn't get out. It was ridiculous, although my ally and I stuck it out through the whole match in hopes of a comeback. Naturally, it didn't come close to happening.

May 19, 2009 2:51:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Two days ago I played a fortress match against a Rook with a Queen of Thorns as an ally on Crucible. QoT would bramble shield him so he could set up towers and attack our defenses without taking damage. He set up a group of towers in the lane leading out of our base so we couldn't get out. It was ridiculous, although my ally and I stuck it out through the whole match in hopes of a comeback. Naturally, it didn't come close to happening.

NO BUTZ U GAVEZ HIM 80 SECOONDS TO SET TEH TOWERS UPZ!!!1111 /endsarcasm

Also after more testing, Erebus is still far too OP.

May 19, 2009 3:18:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what the heck kind of question is "how long you been playing?" the game is a month old. i've been playing since release. 

you want to have a pecker contest so you can whip out your "beta tester" package and say yours is bigger than mine?

go ahead, your obviously more interested in one upmanship and winning the internet than having a reasonable debate. 

May 19, 2009 9:04:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The towers HP/dmg should scale with fort upgrades or something, I dont like that they are OP early and mid game, but completly useless later.

May 19, 2009 11:39:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with 2, 3, and 4.

However, 1 is patently incorrect. Rook's towers are easily countered by QoT and TB's AoE damage. Considering this is 1/4 of the currently available DGs, the odds that one of them are playing against you are pretty decent. I play TB and I rarely have trouble destroying Rook's towers (and hurting him in the process, if he is standing nearby).

May 20, 2009 12:17:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the only thing in this game that is OP is Queen of Thorns with uproot and shamblers.  Seriously this needs to be nerfed and is ruining my gaming experiance.   

May 20, 2009 11:40:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what the heck kind of question is "how long you been playing?" the game is a month old. i've been playing since release.

you want to have a pecker contest so you can whip out your "beta tester" package and say yours is bigger than mine?

go ahead, your obviously more interested in one upmanship and winning the internet than having a reasonable debate.

Sorry for asking the question, "how long you been playing?". It was an outrageuos question which was really stupid and offensive. Or maybe I was just curious whether or not you had been playing the game for one week or for one month...But thats a stupid assumption to make isnt it? It just sounded like you were one of the players who had just got the game last week.

I still think the Rook's tower needs a small hp nerf. They arent crazy OP, but it would just be a lot more balanced imo if they were slightly easier to kill with other characters other than QoT + TB as mentioned above

May 20, 2009 11:55:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally, I don't think really anything is imbalanced right now. Hell, I didn't think Bite was imbalanced. Once they add condition removal scrolls, we should be set. Personally, I'd like to see Mist actually have a casting time, since I find free condition wipes that can't be interrupted to be a little cheesy, but, it's not really a problem.

May 20, 2009 2:27:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,

Don't get why they made a demigod so big and durable looking only to have him the exact oppsite.
Well in the beta he sometimes became near impossible to kill and could get up to 8k+ HP which was pathetic, and he simply needed a HP nerf

Go for the middle ground then, less then in beta but more then he currently has now. As they're some situations where simply the wrong demigod came and now you're dead even if you run at 100% hp. (Done it with UB, erebus, and sedna to rook at some point.) Just feels like he has no options to counter anything outside of hiding behind 8 tiny towers.

May 20, 2009 4:13:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,

I know, everything is OP in this game.

I mean, how hard is it to comprehend that almost each demigod has a powerful move? How is that OP?
Im getting fed up with you people saying "everything is OP /endsaracasm" when ever an OP thread is made. Yes most of the time they are complete bull, but have you guys ever stopped to think - Wait, maybe this game isnt perfectly balanced and there are certain imba's in it like every other game that is in existence. Towers were complained about towards the end of the beta too.

Im not saying make towers useless, im just saying give them a small nerf - that is all. From experience they can be way too OP.

Yeah, well, if it was "perfectly balanced" it woouldn't matter which DG you pick anyway. And then you'd complain about that.

May 20, 2009 7:11:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, well, if it was "perfectly balanced" it woouldn't matter which DG you pick anyway. And then you'd complain about that.

Why would I complain about each Demigod being balanced? Is this the most stupid post I have seen on the forums yet??

May 20, 2009 11:29:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IMO its a bit to early to make assumptions on what is OP and what isn't. Let the tweaks we got in the last patch settle in. Lets play for a month then talk about it. Better yet lets have a tourney and see if a certain demigod sticks out above the rest. I really don't think anything is to outragous right now.

I played a game with a tower rook recently. I was unclean beast and i didn't have much trouble with the rook. I would ignore his towers and just focus on him with spit/ooze and my DPS I would always get him to back off. I ended up suiciding into his towers a few times but I got him more than he got me. I also think that a tower rook misses out on hammerslam/boulder roll so rooks kill ability faulters when he goes tower build.

so imo lets give it some time before we get an immediate nerf patch like erebus recieved.

if anything needs to be fixed its item balancing.

May 21, 2009 1:58:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

4. Erebus - Despite his bite nerf, he is still clearly OP.

Are you kidding ? Erebus isn't autowin anymore, and is perfectly balanced, deal with it.

May 21, 2009 2:04:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting FidelCastrol,

quoting post4. Erebus - Despite his bite nerf, he is still clearly OP.

Are you kidding ? Erebus isn't autowin anymore, and is perfectly balanced, deal with it.

Agreed. He never was autowin to begin with, his pantheon rankings were actually in the middle to low end. Now there's no excuse to nerf him.

May 21, 2009 2:11:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting muusbolla,
I agree with 2, 3, and 4.

However, 1 is patently incorrect. Rook's towers are easily countered by QoT and TB's AoE damage. Considering this is 1/4 of the currently available DGs, the odds that one of them are playing against you are pretty decent. I play TB and I rarely have trouble destroying Rook's towers (and hurting him in the process, if he is standing nearby).

What if you're not playing one of those classes? Should I just disconnect in the first minute if I see I'm playing against a Rook?

4. Erebus - Despite his bite nerf, he is still clearly OP. His bite should not slow you down. The fact one move with a 7 second cool down can - 1. Damage you 2. Heal 3. Slowdown 4. Reduce Armour - is just too OP imo. I still dont see why his bite needs to slow enemies down if he already starts with a base speed of 6.3. Also, im thinking bring back the old mist. Mist should also do damage to Erebus. Not crazy amounts, just slight ones. If any of you were in the beta you will know what im talking about.

I don't see the problem since it does low damage, low heal. The nerf brought the damage back into line with comparable abilities, now its just like using penitance or mines or rain of ice where you are doing some damage and debuffing your opponent. Keep your armor up to a respectable level so he can't put you into negatives and you won't have to worry about bite. 

He also needs to wait until after combat has started to get the most out of his bite, by which point it may be too late since his HP is low.

May 21, 2009 4:10:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed. He never was autowin to begin with, his pantheon rankings were actually in the middle to low end. Now there's no excuse to nerf him.

Wow....You never played a good Erebus did you?

I don't see the problem since it does low damage, low heal.

775 Damage + 775 Heal adds up to a total of 1.5k hp difference.  The thing is it may not me be that much, its just that he can bite then mist, wait for bite to CD, then come out and bite again. There, he just healed 1.5k hp and dealed it to, and there was nothing you could do about it. Not to mention he has pretty good hp regen and you can get him up to very high hp levels. And lets say you do manage to outdamage him despite his healing etc., he then just has to batswarm out.

And does no one care about the fact that his bite can do so many things? Slowdown, Heal, Reduce Armour and do Damage...The fact he can batswarm without you expecting it and just throw a bite on you is fine - but the fact that it also slows you down while reducing your armour etc. means that you cant really escape from him now, can you...especially since his base speed is 6.3.

May 21, 2009 6:52:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Give me a break, it takes a while for the Rook to setup his tower farm. What were you doing during that time? Making cookies? Plus, Generals Minions builds and Frost TB will own that tower farm.

Oak Shield does not protect him from Stun or interrupt effects. Those shut down HoL. I play Oak enough to have experienced this plenty of times.

Erebus is fine now. That perma Mist form never worked against my team and I mean never, not even on Exile. All you have to do is make sure Erebus minions are dead when your wave of creeps goes through. The perfect job for a TB.

May 21, 2009 7:45:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Give me a break, it takes a while for the Rook to setup his tower farm. What were you doing during that time? Making cookies? Plus, Generals Minions builds and Frost TB will own that tower farm.

No I was fighting The Rook - but he was still setting up towers.

Oak Shield does not protect him from Stun or interrupt effects. Those shut down HoL. I play Oak enough to have experienced this plenty of times.

I was unaware of that, good to know. Still, its a very powerful move and you shouldnt need a Demigod with stun or interupt to stop it.

Erebus is fine now. That perma Mist form never worked against my team and I mean never, not even on Exile. All you have to do is make sure Erebus minions are dead when your wave of creeps goes through. The perfect job for a TB.

Im talking about an Erebus who can just swarm > bite > mist then come out and repeat. If he gets on low hp he can just stay in mist and wait till swarm comes back or help arrives.

May 21, 2009 8:51:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DalzK,
Im talking about an Erebus who can just swarm > bite > mist then come out and repeat. If he gets on low hp he can just stay in mist and wait till swarm comes back or help arrives.

If Erebus is going directly into mist after he bites, the debuffs from bite aren't worth much, now are they?  In order to get the most out of bite, Erebus has to time his attacks very carefully, to include managing healing so that he enters combat at something below optimal health.  It's not that easy to do.  While I agree with you that Erebus in the hands of a skillful player is still one of the more powerful demigods in the game, a further nerf at this point is just ridiculous.  I have mixed feelings on the HoL exploit.  Part of me thinks that it should be removed for both Mist and Shield, and part of me thinks it should stay.  Either way, it's not a particularly big deal.

As far as the Rook is concerned, his OP-ness is extremely map and opponent specific.  On a map with limited avenues of manuever and lots of chokepoints (Crucible, Exile and kinda sorta Cataract) against opponents that are crap at attacking structures, you can have problems, but even then every single demigod has the ability to attack structures efficiently, either through skills or minions in the case of generals.  Rook and QoT using intelligent teamwork on Crucible is basically the most extreme case imaginable, and even then they're going to be hard pressed to deal with an Erebus that can jump across and retain flag control (QoT is at a disadvantage solo vs. a good Erebus and Rook cannot leave his farm to recap in this situation), a Regulus or TB taking on the farm, UB spitting, Oak's minions, etc.  Sedna, because of how crappy Yetis are, is the only DG who really has little to say vs. a Rook and his tower farm, but even she can be very effective in support of an allied DG with Heal, Silence and moving in for a Pounce burst when Rook gets low on HP. 

As much as I find Rook frustrating at times, I would rather not see him get nerfed.  He has significant downsides to go along with his advantages.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.