The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Erebus nerf in next patch

By on May 11, 2009 10:42:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I didn't see a post on this so many have probably missed it.  Looks like it might be a pretty good 'tweak' not a huge nerf which is good.

Quoting Frogboy,
Just got this note from GPG. Not for today's update but for the next one (which is likely going to be v1.01):

BALANCE- Lord Erebus Bite

Bite's Mana Cost increased, Damage decreased, Armor Reduction decreased.

Mana Cost increased from 300/420/500/595 to 350/500/650/800.

Damage and health gain decreased from 300/500/700/900 to 250/425/600/775.

Armor reduction decreased from to 250/400/600/800 250/400/550/700.

+7 Karma | 126 Replies
May 11, 2009 10:53:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This will anger several, but I don't care either way.

May 11, 2009 10:57:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That's good in my opinion. It's very damaging how it is.

May 11, 2009 10:57:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe, but it isn't a huge nerf.  The armor reduction changes are pretty much negligible, the mana cost is only significant at the highest level, at which point you probably have tonnes of mana anyway - so its just the damage/health nerf, which isn't a huge change either.

I play Erebus quite a bit and it seems like a reasonable tweak to me, he will still be pretty tough.

May 11, 2009 11:03:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Super-Duper-Lame-Face-God-This-Sucks

Goes to show if enough people complain about something it will get changed....

/Sigh

How 'bout them Sedna nerfs and UB spit going to melee? That coming soon too?

May 11, 2009 11:11:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice avatar

May 11, 2009 11:17:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I feel the nerf is warranted, however perhaps not to the degree that has taken place. Bite is a core component of how Erebus opperates - it's still quite viable, however and I'll wait till I get some hands on before I pass judgement. It's clearly not going to be the only balance chance in the patch - it may well balance out.

May 11, 2009 11:17:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,
Nice avatar

hahaha

May 11, 2009 11:50:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wouldn't nerf it that much. The armour and speed debuffs a bit, perhaps, but not the damage it does. Especially with the massive cost increase. One or the other's livable, but both is a little extreme. Remember, Erebus counts on bite for survival and killing power, and he can't do much more then kill other DGs, so nerfing this skill to the point where it loses it's viability as Erebus' main attack ends up nerfing him considerably more then any of his other abilities, or dare I say, the abilities of other DGs.

May 11, 2009 11:57:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Kills the idea I had with having him as my ally in a 3v3 though

Drat

May 12, 2009 12:00:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Erebus can down out grunts pretty easily with bat swarm, it is effectively an AE

May 12, 2009 12:18:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sheezwack,
Erebus can down out grunts pretty easily with bat swarm, it is effectively an AE

I occasionally use bats as an AoE, but only in emergancies, or there's no forseeable danger for at least another 15 seconds or more, factoring in mana usage. I (and smart Erebus players) would rather try to keep it for situations where it's use is integral.

What I think really hurts Erebus most is that, especially at early levels, Swarm already takes up a lot of mana. This big mana increase might just kill the combo. Which is a shame, because, quite frankly, what does Erebus do after teleporting?

Also, escaping with swarm will be harder too, as, once again, you'll be drained in mana. Personally, if you never get low on mana, you're not extending yourself far enough(likewise, if you end up running out, you end up overextending). I think this will drastically change Erebus' safe energy threshold, and in a bad way.

May 12, 2009 12:23:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its an extremely small nerf, actually. just run the numbers on it. nothing was adjusted by more than about 17%, except for the rank 4 mana costs, which were raised by a bit more than that (increased by about 1/3rd at rank 4). 

seems totally reasonable and is very much in line with what i've been suggesting, which is a small adjustment to the mana efficiency of the skill to put it more in line with other abilities. thats exactly what has been done. seems correct. 

May 12, 2009 12:38:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheGuildfordStrangler,

Quoting Sheezwack, reply 10Erebus can down out grunts pretty easily with bat swarm, it is effectively an AE

I occasionally use bats as an AoE, but only in emergancies, or there's no forseeable danger for at least another 15 seconds or more, factoring in mana usage. I (and smart Erebus players) would rather try to keep it for situations where it's use is integral.

This is no different to any other DG, if I'm a torch bearer I could save my AE's until it's safe since they can be used against other DG's as well - and those spells can chew through mana, particularly frost spells.  The point is some people are acting as though is the only ability Erebus gets, yet he is actually a very versatile DG - which is why this nerf really will not hurt him much.

May 12, 2009 12:39:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dang.  The big problem I have with the damage reduction at the higher levels is that it was always my "save it until you get the insta kill" move, as enemy demigods would frequently be unaware how close they really were to death.  Maybe it's time for me to try a different demigod... I hear UB is pretty good

May 12, 2009 12:46:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You only have to wait one more hit then you can use it in exactly the same way

May 12, 2009 12:57:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

what i find most shocking is the fact they nerf stuff ppl wernt even complaining about, ppl had a problem with the mo0vement speed reduction and armor debuff they barely touch the armor an didnt touch the movement debuff at all! then they increase the mana cost of max rank by what 60%? (guesstimate). then nerf the dmg/heal i mean if your gonna nerf a move nerf what ppl have a problem with seriously.

May 12, 2009 1:06:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

he is still a very strong hero.

May 12, 2009 1:13:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lionheart1118,
what i find most shocking is the fact they nerf stuff ppl wernt even complaining about, ppl had a problem with the mo0vement speed reduction and armor debuff they barely touch the armor an didnt touch the movement debuff at all! then they increase the mana cost of max rank by what 60%? (guesstimate). then nerf the dmg/heal i mean if your gonna nerf a move nerf what ppl have a problem with seriously.

35%. That's a lot, not 60%, but a lot, especially since that's not the key issue. It's overnerfed, and in the wrong areas.

May 12, 2009 1:16:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nerf well deserved!!!!   Awesome job gpg.

May 12, 2009 1:18:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Changing everything at once is a strong scientific approach.  That way it will be easy to understand & interpret the results data later on.  I feel so very confident in the devs now.

May 12, 2009 1:24:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

35%. That's a lot, not 60%, but a lot, especially since that's not the key issue. It's overnerfed, and in the wrong areas.[/quote]

yea sorry i guesstimated that max bite cost 500 not 595 so i was off heh but still liek ya said pretty big increas imo.

May 12, 2009 1:30:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

YES! About fucking time. I got sick of all those Erebus nubs.

May 12, 2009 1:31:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OhLordE,
Super-Duper-Lame-Face-God-This-Sucks

Goes to show if enough people complain about something it will get changed....

/Sigh

How 'bout them Sedna nerfs and UB spit going to melee? That coming soon too?

muahahahah

May 12, 2009 1:32:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lionheart1118,

Bite is a low cd spell that has a low enough mana cost that you can cast it often in combat. raising the mana cost may mean he can cast it one or two less times which would change how long he slows you down for as well.  I think the mana cost and dmg needed to be adjusted. Bite did 900 dmg and healing which is like 1800 hp exchange. thats more than lets say UB's spit which is 1650 in 10 sec, sedna's heal which is 1500? (1700 if u count 200 dmg it does to the demi god at max rank and not counting its aoe) even rooks hamer does what 1700 at max? and all these spells are a good bit higher mana cost than bite which not only does the 1800 hp exchange but does a significant slow and armor reduction. With the nerf it will do 1500 hp exchange but keep a significant slow and an armor reduction makes closer in power to the other spells than before.

May 12, 2009 1:49:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

watch your potty mouth proto, do we need to break out the swear jar?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.