The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Erebus nerf in next patch

By on May 11, 2009 10:42:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I didn't see a post on this so many have probably missed it.  Looks like it might be a pretty good 'tweak' not a huge nerf which is good.

Quoting Frogboy,
Just got this note from GPG. Not for today's update but for the next one (which is likely going to be v1.01):

BALANCE- Lord Erebus Bite

Bite's Mana Cost increased, Damage decreased, Armor Reduction decreased.

Mana Cost increased from 300/420/500/595 to 350/500/650/800.

Damage and health gain decreased from 300/500/700/900 to 250/425/600/775.

Armor reduction decreased from to 250/400/600/800 250/400/550/700.

+7 Karma | 126 Replies
May 12, 2009 11:53:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

he has the worst armor in the game if u dont get him upgrades for health or armor he is very squish so this is not very aplicable

No he doesn't.  Rook has the lowest armor in the game.  In fact, Erebus has the second BEST armor in the game  (below UB).  He also has the 2nd highest health (below Rook).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=944424&topic=49287562

May 12, 2009 12:03:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good nerf.

Happy its small and not massive.

People shouldnt complain about OP Erebus now

May 12, 2009 12:14:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the nerf was minor at best, I'm not sure it will stop him from being the clearly best demigod in the game right now.  I don't think it was the mana cost nor damage that was the problem.  It was the slow and massive armor reduc.  The slow really has to go.  He shouldn't be able to go invul whenever he wants, have a stun to disrupt your chance to tp out, have a blink to get in combat or leave combat, and have a slow/armor reduc/dmg/heal move all rolled into one.  This isn't even including his free minions or high base movement speed.  A good erub you basically have to stay miles away from or he will eat you. 

Suggestions:

Put dmg and mana cost back on bite, take slow off completely, leave new armor changes (even tho they are still high imo), up recharge time slightly.

Up mana cost of mist or make abilities not recharge while in mist.

Up the cast time on the stun?  Not sure what can be done to balance this, I'm not sure why anyone would have high base speed, a slow, a armor reducer, a heal, a teleport and a invlunerability button.  Most demis can do nothing about the following: Erubus comes out of fog of war, blinks on top of you, bites you, his minions catch up and start wailing on you with your lower armor and movement speed, if you try to tp (stun), if you dont, humps your leg and spams bite, if for some reason you happen to be able to stop him or force him to a situation where he won't win the battle (mist, bat swarm away after cooldown).  But that situation is rare once the game gets going.

I see noob erbus's lose for certain, but it seems to me with equally good players no one will beat the erubus.

May 12, 2009 12:50:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RobWild,
I think the nerf was minor at best, I'm not sure it will stop him from being the clearly best demigod in the game right now.  I don't think it was the mana cost nor damage that was the problem.  It was the slow and massive armor reduc.  The slow really has to go.  He shouldn't be able to go invul whenever he wants, have a stun to disrupt your chance to tp out, have a blink to get in combat or leave combat, and have a slow/armor reduc/dmg/heal move all rolled into one.  This isn't even including his free minions or high base movement speed.  A good erub you basically have to stay miles away from or he will eat you. 

Suggestions:

Put dmg and mana cost back on bite, take slow off completely, leave new armor changes (even tho they are still high imo), up recharge time slightly.

Up mana cost of mist or make abilities not recharge while in mist.

Up the cast time on the stun?  Not sure what can be done to balance this, I'm not sure why anyone would have high base speed, a slow, a armor reducer, a heal, a teleport and a invlunerability button.  Most demis can do nothing about the following: Erubus comes out of fog of war, blinks on top of you, bites you, his minions catch up and start wailing on you with your lower armor and movement speed, if you try to tp (stun), if you dont, humps your leg and spams bite, if for some reason you happen to be able to stop him or force him to a situation where he won't win the battle (mist, bat swarm away after cooldown).  But that situation is rare once the game gets going.

I see noob erbus's lose for certain, but it seems to me with equally good players no one will beat the erubus.

tthe armor reduction was never a prob  speed reduction should be a bit lower like 20% or 25% at max

tthe cost off mana was barly a prob  but seeing as it was nerfed then his other skills need to be ajusted

his tele costs 950 mana at max  which is too high i think it is the highest in the game for a combat skill he should have a max off 800

for the fact that bite was increased   i tend 2 have arround 5k mana arround 10 but i  have to waste so much mana i cant attck one dude retreat  then go back at him again  because i would have wasted sio much mana 

May 12, 2009 1:10:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thats the whole point s1foo. the main problem with Bite was not its effectiveness (basically fine), the problem was the mana cost, which was way too low. they could have changed nothing but the mana cost and fixed it.

the behavior your describing - being able to easily bat swarm in and out of combat while still having enough mana to spam bite every CD - was exactly the thing that was imbalanced.

now Erebus will have to manage mana slightly more carefully. thats the desired result of the change. i think they did it right by making only tiny adjustments to the damage and armor and a large adjustment to the mana cost.

May 12, 2009 1:17:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Erebus is still too powerful, in a game where positioning is everything, being able to teleport is an enormous advantage, for both escaping certain death(as if he doesnt have ways to do that already), and finishing off fleeing demigods who otherwise would have been too far to hit. He shouldn't be able to do it as often as he can. He already has one of the highest base movements speeds. The recharge of bat swarm should be increased by 5 seconds , and also if he's under 50% health when he uses it, he should be stunned for 2 seconds after coming out of it.

Mist spamming is bs too, he can constantly avoid debuffs and damage and already has a way to escape death. Mist's recharge should be doubled, and its initial mana cost increased by 100.

May 12, 2009 1:32:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Busdude,
Erebus is still too powerful, in a game where positioning is everything, being able to teleport is an enormous advantage, for both escaping certain death(as if he doesnt have ways to do that already), and finishing off fleeing demigods who otherwise would have been too far to hit. He shouldn't be able to do it as often as he can. He already has one of the highest base movements speeds. The recharge of bat swarm should be increased by 5 seconds , and also if he's under 50% health when he uses it, he should be stunned for 2 seconds after coming out of it.

Mist spamming is bs too, he can constantly avoid debuffs and damage and already has a way to escape death. Mist's recharge should be doubled, and its initial mana cost increased by 100.

by a 100 are u retarded  really  come one  100+pnto the mana per sec  that means in about 5 secs  u will be out about 750 mana

he is mobile  requires health and ass shit armor  his  armor is so low and his health isn't much better  he needs to have bat swarm toned down a bit because it drains so much mana as it is and  bite people have bitched about so much it makes them stupid for not countering it  shield  on oak counters debuffs at llv ten and protects  so u can infedct a shit load of dmmg while being oprotected

the manaon his other skill added onto his bite  nmakes him suck for mana he always has  now it has just gotten worse  what most people dont realise is that in a long fight he is fucked

May 12, 2009 1:47:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

by a 100 are u retarded really come one 100+pnto the mana per sec that means in about 5 secs u will be out about 750 mana

He said the 'initial' cost.  As in, it would cost 100 extra mana to jump into mist-form and the standard 125 thereafter.

May 12, 2009 1:49:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting si1foo,

by a 100 are u retarded  really  come one  100+pnto the mana per sec  that means in about 5 secs  u will be out about 750 mana

he is mobile  requires health and ass shit armor  his  armor is so low and his health isn't much better  he needs to have bat swarm toned down a bit because it drains so much mana as it is and  bite people have bitched about so much it makes them stupid for not countering it  shield  on oak counters debuffs at llv ten and protects  so u can infedct a shit load of dmmg while being oprotected

the manaon his other skill added onto his bite  nmakes him suck for mana he always has  now it has just gotten worse  what most people dont realise is that in a long fight he is fucked

Your grammar is off-the-chain, my friend

May 12, 2009 2:06:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sakhari,

by a 100 are u retarded really come one 100+pnto the mana per sec that means in about 5 secs u will be out about 750 mana
He said the 'initial' cost.  As in, it would cost 100 extra mana to jump into mist-form and the standard 125 thereafter.

Was distracted by how he came to the conclusion 5 seconds = 750 mana When it currently costs 125 per second which is 625 for 5 seconds and if it costed 100 extra mana per second it would be 1125.

May 12, 2009 2:07:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"We don't like Bite, too strong, too fast, gives him too much staying power, never mind its all he really has going for him"

" That bat swarm, somethings gotta be done about it. Dont like how he can just zip around like that for 950 mana, who  does he think he is. Then he tends to use it with bite. Wtf. Bite is melee range but he should have to earn it!"

"Oh yea, and mist too! Wtf man, he totally went intangible and started eating up his own mana bar to avoid damage/situation and I couldnt be bothered to move my minions off the swirling portal on the ground. Too much, too strong"

Ok so three moves Erebus has that no other God has anything similar too...That leaves his weak stun, all his passive minion talents...poisoned blood and auto attack.

Alright, so now that he can't do anything. Is he still too tough? Cause you know, we can take more too.

May 12, 2009 2:08:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

man do u really thing ur the first to say something like that plus as long as u can read it then u dont need grammer or punctuation

if your mind can read the text and know were to stop then it is not needed and you only really need punctuation if yourreading out loud so u know when to stop quickly

May 12, 2009 2:19:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting si1foo,

man do u really thing ur the first to say something like that plus as long as u can read it then u dont need grammer or punctuation

if your mind can read the text and know were to stop then it is not needed and you only really need punctuation if yourreading out loud so u know when to stop quickly

Except as of late I personally cannot tell what you're saying unless I go over it several times. So now I simply skip over it unless it looks like you actually made effort to type correctly.

This is a case of just because you can type poorly doesn't mean you should.

May 12, 2009 2:29:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Erebus needed the nerf get over it.

May 12, 2009 2:33:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting csrayne,
Changing everything at once is a strong scientific approach.  That way it will be easy to understand & interpret the results data later on.  I feel so very confident in the devs now.

Then again perhaps they made small changes and had testers on their team do internal work. Then they rolled up the updated bite with all the changes THEY decided worked instead of letting the leet net players try it and make the decisions.

May 12, 2009 2:43:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

+1 for the nerf.  

May 12, 2009 2:43:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting si1foo,

You can't seriously believe what you wrote, right? I hope that you're in your early teens or something, but Jesus Christs man, get a grip.

May 12, 2009 3:24:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this is stupid, everyone on here crying about good job on the nerf told a story about how you can't run away form erebus. you would have to be a rather new player to get into a fight just to run away at the beginning of the game. point A) when you run, you can't deal damage, only receive it. running is your problem, stop it, it's why you're dying. B ) at the late levels of the game, when you have enough mana to bite as many time as ppl are complaining about, the scale has already started to leave bite in the dust as a good skill. at first leve erebus can bite 2-3 times and his mana regen rate isn't very impressive, so it'll be awhile before he gets to do it again unless he nubs back to the crystal. ppl who rage quit at level 5 aren't going to see how erebus become rather run-of-the-mill at later levels. no attribute bonus skills, oh no but he gets 4 skills if you want to take those non cost effective piles early game.

May 12, 2009 3:36:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting G4N35H,
this is stupid, everyone on here crying about good job on the nerf told a story about how you can't run away form erebus. you would have to be a rather new player to get into a fight just to run away at the beginning of the game. point A) when you run, you can't deal damage, only receive it. running is your problem, stop it, it's why you're dying. B ) at the late levels of the game, when you have enough mana to bite as many time as ppl are complaining about, the scale has already started to leave bite in the dust as a good skill. at first leve erebus can bite 2-3 times and his mana regen rate isn't very impressive, so it'll be awhile before he gets to do it again unless he nubs back to the crystal. ppl who rage quit at level 5 aren't going to see how erebus become rather run-of-the-mill at later levels. no attribute bonus skills, oh no but he gets 4 skills if you want to take those non cost effective piles early game.

your demigod got nerfed LOLUMAD?

May 12, 2009 3:40:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nichtganz,

LOLUMAD?

Sadly that probably expresses my response better.

May 12, 2009 3:56:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Eh, seems a bit excessive to me. I think it was a bit overpowered, but increasing the cost of the ability and then decreasing its effectiveness as well makes it look like overkill.

May 12, 2009 4:01:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sowaka,
Eh, seems a bit excessive to me. I think it was a bit overpowered, but increasing the cost of the ability and then decreasing its effectiveness as well makes it look like overkill.

Careful now, thats witch talk around here.

May 12, 2009 4:15:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

he is mobile requires health and ass shit armor his armor is so low and his health isn't much better

Seriously, how is having the 2nd best health and armor of all the demigods being ass shit?

May 12, 2009 4:20:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

also of note is that the first best health and armor are not on the same DG. Oak has the best armor, Rook has the best Health. thats just base stats anyway though, the differences aren't really that great considering only the base stats. equipment and experience level make a much bigger difference.

actually, the base stat that matters more than anything is your movement speed, since all move bonuses in the game are percentage based rather than just addititive. this means that given equal buffs and items the DG with the higher base speed will always move faster. it also just so happens that Erebus has the highest base move speed (tied for first actually, with UB) in the game.

May 12, 2009 4:21:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dracil,

he is mobile requires health and ass shit armor his armor is so low and his health isn't much better
Seriously, how is having the 2nd best health and armor of all the demigods being ass shit?

Because it isn't the best?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.