The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Claiming a refund - Look here

By on May 6, 2009 1:06:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

brazzeh

Join Date 04/2009
+2

I paid a fairly substantial amount ($69.99) to have a boxed copy of Demigod shipped to the UK since, understandably, I was excited to play the game, and would have been happy to pay the price, if the game worked well enough.

However, it doesn't.

Therefore, I contacted [email protected] about my dissapointment, and got a reply saying that a 75% refund would be issued, within the same day, Ed: WHICH I AM HAPPY WITH. I strongly urge anyone who has had a similar experience to do the same, and I have enclosed a modified version of the email I sent as a template if you have trouble with that sort of thing.

Ed: Just to clarify, stardock did not refund any of the shipping fee.

Hello,

I would like to request a full refund for the amount I paid for my copy of Demigod, the reasons for this are two fold:

- The multiplayer aspect is more or less unplayable for games of 4 players or more, and even smaller games than that are extremely difficult and frustrating to achieve; for a multiplayer centric game, this is just not acceptable. Considering I bought this game to play with a large group of friends whom I actually persuaded to get the game aswell, I'm sure you can imagine the embarassment and frustration I have felt, as we can't even play it together.

- The AI is broken and the single-player element is too underdeveloped to make up for the multiplayer's shortcomings; whilst I know that a fully fleshed out singleplayer campaign was not advertised, if the singleplayer aspect had at least passable AI, it would have made the mutliplayer problems less dissapointing.

I'm not sure how you go about making refunds as I paid via PayPal, but I have provided all the information you should require below.

I hope to hear from you with 48 hours before I am forced to take further action.

Yours faithfully,

<Name>

Impulse ID: ************
Demigod key: ########################

<enclosed paypal receipt>

Locked Post 59 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 6, 2009 1:15:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Policy as I understand it:

75% refund if you just don't like the game and want to return it.

100% refund if you can't play the game due to technical issues like your PC not handling it; also if you make a good enough case when requesting a refund.

This seems pretty reasonable to me.

May 6, 2009 1:31:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol, I wish I could have done that with Warhammer Online.

May 6, 2009 1:41:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Distance selling laws in the UK mean you should be able to get a full refund within 7 days of receiving your purchase, and are not required to provide a reason.

May 6, 2009 1:50:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The game has not been released in the UK yet, if you paid massive shipping for a box copy, it's really not Stardock's issue. You should have purchased it from Stardock.

Also, offering the type of return policy they do is a courtesy to you.  Your tone, demanding a refund within 48 hours is unprofessional, and unwarranted.

May 6, 2009 1:50:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lol @ "before I am forced to take further action."

May 6, 2009 1:52:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You should demand a 100% refund of the price excluding the shipping. It is obvious you want a refund because the game did not work the way it was supposed to, NOT that you didn't enjoy it.

Edit: This is assuming you actually ordered it from Stardock and not a retailer.

May 6, 2009 1:58:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He's not gonna get a full refund complaining about AI, or that large games are hard to come by. 100% refunds are issued for "game doesn't work", not "game mostly works, but I don't like it"

May 6, 2009 2:08:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting BlackJack666,
Lol @ "before I am forced to take further action."

why lol? he can easly drop some problems on Stardock if they will not follow rules
so if by law they must provide refound withing 24 or 48 hours, and it took longer, you can suie them
and then to reciave much more then the 40$ you payed for it.

P.S
Is it me or Demigod got an historical record as the most refounded game ever?

May 6, 2009 2:11:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

^ yeah good luck with that lol

May 6, 2009 2:13:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lol @ this moron, why would stardock refund your shipping?

May 6, 2009 2:15:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CocaColaAddict,

Quoting BlackJack666, reply 5Lol @ "before I am forced to take further action."
why lol? he can easly drop some problems on Stardock if they will not follow rules
so if by law they must provide refound withing 24 or 48 hours, and it took longer, you can suie them
and the recove much more then the 40$ you payed for it.

P.S
Is it me or Demigod got an historical record as the most refounded game ever?

lol, no, the most he could do is bitch and moan on the forums a bit. He is certainly not going to hire an international lawyer to represent him in a county court, and since his claim is less than 25,000, he cannot bring it to to High court.

With paperwork, fees, travel time to and from the court house repeatedly, it is likely he would just shut up, wait, and take what is offered to him.

May 6, 2009 2:32:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is altogheter too much lols in this thread.

We all know connectvity is shit, and people have gotten 100% refunds based on that alone before. He absolutely should demand a 100% refund, if he's having problems playing more than 2v2s. It might not work, but its worth a shot.

May 6, 2009 2:59:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so much stupid brain hurt, urg urg

hope this is trolling, even if it is horrible trolling...

May 6, 2009 3:25:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It sounds like some clarification needs to be made here.

Our return policy for Demigod has been temporarily relaxed due to the issues that the game is still having.  We all know what they are, so it is not worth discussing them here.  So, in that light, we have been providing 100% refunds to anyone who is still having trouble.  Here are the four possible scenarios.

1.  If you purchased the game from us as a download, we have been issuing full refunds right on the spot.  More than a few people have posted on the forums about how easy we have made it.

2.  If you purchased the game from us as a download + retail box, as long as it hasn't shipped yet, we have been able to cancel the shipment and issue a full refund on the spot.  The game hasn't shipped, so you should get the shipping charge back.

3.  If you purchased the game from us as a download + retail box and the game has already been shipped, we are able to provide a 75% refund right away on the cost of the download + retail box, which is currently $49.95 USD.  What brazzeh, the author of the first post, neglected to mention was that we will refund the remaining 25% of the $49.95 USD when the box is returned back to us.  We are not able to refund the shipping cost since we already used that money to ship it to you.  Furthermore, if you keep the box that the game came in, you can actually reseal it, write "RTS" on it, and send it back at no cost to you.  So, in the end, after you have returned the retail box to us, you will have received a 100% refund of the cost of the game, which is currently $49.95 USD.  (I apologize for the redundancy, but I need to be very clear about this.)

4.  If you purchased the game at a retail store, you can request a 100% refund by emailing us.  We will provide an RMA code that is good for 15 days, which is plenty of time for you to send the game to us.  We are not able to reimburse you for the shipping cost on this, but if you use USPS Media Mail, it will only cost $2 or $3 to send it.  Once we get the game, we'll send you a check for the amount you paid for it as shown on your original receipt.  This scenario is only for people in North America, since you cannot yet purchase Demigod in stores outside North America.

So there you have it.  Most people have purchased the download-only version, so a full refund for them is quick and painless.  I've only had a handful of refund requests from people who ordered the download + retail box version and needed a refund.  For most of them, their order hadn't shipped yet, so they got a 100% refund, shipping included.  The author of the original post, brazzeh, is one of only two or three people that will need to send the retail box back to get the last 25% of the refund.  Brazzeh is the only person to complain about it.

We are trying to make this as painless and fair to both parties as we possibly can.  There will always be unsatisfied people out there, so we are doing the best we can with everyone else.

EDIT: May 22, 2009 - Our refund policy on Demigod was just unrelaxed.  It's a little complicated, but I'll do my best to explain.

1. If you request a refund but have been able to play online for more than a few hours, we will be able to provide a 75% refund only.
  2. Our normal refund policy timeframe is back in effect for those customers that fall under Number 1.  If you paid with PayPal, we can only provide a refund within 60 days, for credit/debit cards, 90 days.
  3. All refund requests for games purchased at retail must be received within 30 days of the purchase.  Number 1 applies here as well.  We will not provide any refunds for retail copies beyond this timeframe.

So basically, if you've been able to play online and simply don't want the game anymore, a full refund is not possible.  If you haven't been able to play online and have been sticking by us, you will not be penalized should you request a refund.

It's complicated, so each refund request will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

May 6, 2009 3:34:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

now that is what I call clarification

May 6, 2009 3:50:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting VyperXXX,
now that is what I call clarification

LOL!  It ended up being much more complicated to explain than I originally thought it would. 

May 6, 2009 3:55:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Wow.  Doesn't get more clear than that.

May 6, 2009 4:00:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
Wow.  Doesn't get more clear than that.

/sprays some windex

how about now?

May 6, 2009 4:16:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did you just spray windex in Zubaz' face? If so, I applaud thee!

*runs*

May 6, 2009 4:26:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My goodness, someone actually emailed in asking for a refund and copied the first post in this thread.

Please, do not use the original post in this thread.  If you want a refund, simply tell us why!  We are collecting information about this that will most likely be helpful in our efforts to make Demigod better.

Some people are such sheep! 

May 6, 2009 4:31:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hehe, nice explanation MeliBee, thanks

May 6, 2009 4:32:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow.

May 6, 2009 4:37:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I enjoy the faithfully yours even though you're bitching for a refund as well as the before further action is taken part. Funny stuff.

May 6, 2009 4:37:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I can be hired to go over and muscle the stardock people for a nominal fee.

And by muscle I mean take them to the pub and by nominal fee I mean $500.

Thank you.

May 6, 2009 5:16:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting alban987,
I can be hired to go over and muscle the stardock people for a nominal fee.

And by muscle I mean take them to the pub and by nominal fee I mean $500.

Thank you.

For your future reference, should your services be retained, I prefer to drink top-shelf whiskey.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001172   Page Render Time: