The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Claiming a refund - Look here

By on May 6, 2009 1:06:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

brazzeh

Join Date 04/2009
+2

I paid a fairly substantial amount ($69.99) to have a boxed copy of Demigod shipped to the UK since, understandably, I was excited to play the game, and would have been happy to pay the price, if the game worked well enough.

However, it doesn't.

Therefore, I contacted [email protected] about my dissapointment, and got a reply saying that a 75% refund would be issued, within the same day, Ed: WHICH I AM HAPPY WITH. I strongly urge anyone who has had a similar experience to do the same, and I have enclosed a modified version of the email I sent as a template if you have trouble with that sort of thing.

Ed: Just to clarify, stardock did not refund any of the shipping fee.

Hello,

I would like to request a full refund for the amount I paid for my copy of Demigod, the reasons for this are two fold:

- The multiplayer aspect is more or less unplayable for games of 4 players or more, and even smaller games than that are extremely difficult and frustrating to achieve; for a multiplayer centric game, this is just not acceptable. Considering I bought this game to play with a large group of friends whom I actually persuaded to get the game aswell, I'm sure you can imagine the embarassment and frustration I have felt, as we can't even play it together.

- The AI is broken and the single-player element is too underdeveloped to make up for the multiplayer's shortcomings; whilst I know that a fully fleshed out singleplayer campaign was not advertised, if the singleplayer aspect had at least passable AI, it would have made the mutliplayer problems less dissapointing.

I'm not sure how you go about making refunds as I paid via PayPal, but I have provided all the information you should require below.

I hope to hear from you with 48 hours before I am forced to take further action.

Yours faithfully,

<Name>

Impulse ID: ************
Demigod key: ########################

<enclosed paypal receipt>

Locked Post 59 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 6, 2009 5:22:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zoomba,

Quoting alban987, reply 24I can be hired to go over and muscle the stardock people for a nominal fee.

And by muscle I mean take them to the pub and by nominal fee I mean $500.

Thank you.
For your future reference, should your services be retained, I prefer to drink top-shelf whiskey.

You'll get karkov vodka and you'll like it!

May 6, 2009 5:25:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zoomba,

Thank you.
For your future reference, should your services be retained, I prefer to drink top-shelf whiskey.

hahaha

As for the OP:People just need to quit bitching already. sheesh.

May 6, 2009 5:30:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In that case, they'll get you raving drunk and get your checkbook out. Or your credit card...

@thread: As a customer service person:

You have no idea how many threats of 'further action' many companies get. America is so lawsuit happy that it's hard not to get them.

You also have no idea how useless the threats are. I've seen hundreds. I have seen only one actually try to take action, and that didn't go very far at all. After a while, they just provoke a smirk and sarcastic comment. After longer, they just provoke an eye roll.

May 6, 2009 5:38:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kitkun,

For your future reference, should your services be retained, I prefer to drink top-shelf whiskey.In that case, they'll get you raving drunk and get your checkbook out. Or your credit card...
@thread: As a customer service person:

You have no idea how many threats of 'further action' many companies get. America is so lawsuit happy that it's hard not to get them.

You also have no idea how useless the threats are. I've seen hundreds. I have seen only one actually try to take action, and that didn't go very far at all. After a while, they just provoke a smirk and sarcastic comment. After longer, they just provoke an eye roll.

the one that I love best is when they threatening to never use your service/business again and go to your competitor. You can just see the thought "That'll scare them!" on their faces.

lol I told one of said person "Would you like me to give you directions?"

lol he stormed off.

May 6, 2009 5:50:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

2 points that some people seem to be stuck on:

Firstly, I never asked specifically for a refund for the shipping, I was happy to get what I did.

Secondly, 'before I'm forced to take further action' is just something worth throwing into anything customer services related - Some companies aren't as fast acting as Stardock have proved to be, but the again, they do state that they will respond to emails within 48 hours, so its perfectly reasonable to include this.

If my tone seemed somewhat sour, I do apologise; I will be sure to make any future complaints I have about anything else, in song, perhaps?

May 6, 2009 6:07:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It sounds like some clarification needs to be made here.

Our return policy for Demigod has been temporarily relaxed due to the issues that the game is still having. We all know what they are, so it is not worth discussing them here. So, in that light, we have been providing 100% refunds to anyone who is still having trouble. Here are the four possible scenarios.

1. If you purchased the game from us as a download, we have been issuing full refunds right on the spot. More than a few people have posted on the forums about how easy we have made it.

2. If you purchased the game from us as a download + retail box, as long as it hasn't shipped yet, we have been able to cancel the shipment and issue a full refund on the spot. The game hasn't shipped, so you should get the shipping charge back.

3. If you purchased the game from us as a download + retail box and the game has already been shipped, we are able to provide a 75% refund right away on the cost of the download + retail box, which is currently $49.95 USD. What brazzeh, the author of the first post, neglected to mention was that we will refund the remaining 25% of the $49.95 USD when the box is returned back to us. We are not able to refund the shipping cost since we already used that money to ship it to you. Furthermore, if you keep the box that the game came in, you can actually reseal it, write "RTS" on it, and send it back at no cost to you. So, in the end, after you have returned the retail box to us, you will have received a 100% refund of the cost of the game, which is currently $49.95 USD. (I apologize for the redundancy, but I need to be very clear about this.)

4. If you purchased the game at a retail store, you can request a 100% refund by emailing us. We will provide an RMA code that is good for 15 days, which is plenty of time for you to send the game to us. We are not able to reimburse you for the shipping cost on this, but if you use USPS Media Mail, it will only cost $2 or $3 to send it. Once we get the game, we'll send you a check for the amount you paid for it as shown on your original receipt. This scenario is only for people in North America, since you cannot yet purchase Demigod in stores outside North America.

So there you have it. Most people have purchased the download-only version, so a full refund for them is quick and painless. I've only had a handful of refund requests from people who ordered the download + retail box version and needed a refund. For most of them, their order hadn't shipped yet, so they got a 100% refund, shipping included. The author of the original post, brazzeh, is one of only two or three people that will need to send the retail box back to get the last 25% of the refund. Brazzeh is the only person to complain about it.

We are trying to make this as painless and fair to both parties as we possibly can. There will always be unsatisfied people out there, so we are doing the best we can with everyone else.

That was amazing.  This should really be stickied as there's a lot of misinformation regarding refunds going around.

May 6, 2009 6:38:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nights Edge,
Distance selling laws in the UK mean you should be able to get a full refund within 7 days of receiving your purchase, and are not required to provide a reason.

Just as a FYI, the UK distance selling laws only actually apply to UK based companies.  I understand this even impacts purchases from online stores based in the channel islands.

Not that it matters in this case as Stardock have a very fair refunds policy.

May 6, 2009 6:39:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have made a slight amendment to my original post, since some people seem to think this thread was made as a continuation of my complaint.

May 6, 2009 6:45:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zoomba,

Quoting alban987, reply 24I can be hired to go over and muscle the stardock people for a nominal fee.

And by muscle I mean take them to the pub and by nominal fee I mean $500.

Thank you.

I'm actually more of a beer snob than a whiskey snob... I also don't know any good places near plymouth =/

I however do know some fantastic microbreweries on the east side

May 21, 2009 12:13:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Our refund policy on Demigod was just unrelaxed.  It's a little complicated, but I'll do my best to explain.

1. If you request a refund but have been able to play online for more than a few hours, we will be able to provide a 75% refund only.
  2. Our normal refund policy timeframe is back in effect for those customers that fall under Number 1.  If you paid with PayPal, we can only provide a refund within 60 days, for credit/debit cards, 90 days.
  3. All refund requests for games purchased at retail must be received within 30 days of the purchase.  Number 1 applies here as well.  We will not provide any refunds for retail copies beyond this timeframe.

So basically, if you've been able to play online and simply don't want the game anymore, a full refund is not possible.  If you haven't been able to play online and have been sticking by us, you will not be penalized should you request a refund.

It's complicated, so each refund request will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

May 21, 2009 1:18:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There's already been some confusion out there, so let me just reiterate that we're looking at all refund requests on a case-by-case basis.  There are a few factors in the Demigod refund equation that will be weighed carefully for each person.

May 21, 2009 1:21:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MeliBee,
It's complicated, so each refund request will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Really it's not that complicated at all. Stardock is one of the few companies that do this without hessitation, so people should be grateful. Thanks for making some of the consumer base not feel stupid by saying its complicated though. : )

May 21, 2009 2:00:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds to me like you aren't willing to stand behind your product, which is clearly broken.  It was released with a large number of bugs, many of which still aren't fixed.  People still can't really reliably play 4v4s and 5v5s (evidenced by the fact that you only recently dared to make pantheon 3v3.)  You promised you would get these bugs fixed and its been over a month.  What do people get for trying to support you and stand by you while you attempt to fix things, they get screwed.

People who pre-ordered the game paid more for it and Frogboy backed out of trying to remedy that.  People who didn't immediately return it at release aren't getting full refunds now.  Since when is Demigod satisfactory?  Favor is still broken, the game still desyncs, the game still crashes, and the patches that were susposed to fix these issues and many others didn't.

Worst of all, you guys are giving us a 50% coupon for another copy of a defective product (which was never actually sent out.)  So people who supported you early get screwed again.

Not giving people a full refund because they can technically play online in this trainwreck is against your Gamers Bill of Rights, releasing a game unfinished is against the GBoR.

May 21, 2009 2:12:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting brazzeh,

If my tone seemed somewhat sour, I do apologise; I will be sure to make any future complaints I have about anything else, in song, perhaps?

Haiku would be best.

May 21, 2009 2:24:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds to me like you aren't willing to stand behind your product, which is clearly broken.  It was released with a large number of bugs, many of which still aren't fixed.  People still can't really reliably play 4v4s and 5v5s (evidenced by the fact that you only recently dared to make pantheon 3v3.)  You promised you would get these bugs fixed and its been over a month.  What do people get for trying to support you and stand by you while you attempt to fix things, they get screwed.

People who pre-ordered the game paid more for it and Frogboy backed out of trying to remedy that.  People who didn't immediately return it at release aren't getting full refunds now.  Since when is Demigod satisfactory?  Favor is still broken, the game still desyncs, the game still crashes, and the patches that were susposed to fix these issues and many others didn't.

Worst of all, you guys are giving us a 50% coupon for another copy of a defective product (which was never actually sent out.)  So people who supported you early get screwed again.

Not people a full refund because they can technically play online in this trainwreck is against your Gamers Bill of Rights, releasing a game unfinished is against the GBoR.

Clearly you are unhappy. Let me provide you with a refund.

May 21, 2009 2:25:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stardock's stance on DRM, their openess to the comunity, support, and their return policy is a breath of fresh air compaired to what gamers have had to deal with in the past.  I just can't immagine why people would return anything Stardock has currently released.  Stardock would have to put out a pretty awefull game (demigod is FAR from awefull) for me to even consider a return...even then I doubt I would.

May 21, 2009 5:23:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Istari,

WarskullX did not ask you for a refund, nor does his supposed unhappyness at the facts he presents in his comment warrants your actions.

Openness to the community and support?

You just banned one of the more constructive and active members of this community, and a member of our tournament team with a match scheduled for this saturday. All that based on one fact supported comment.

Ugly move.

May 21, 2009 5:37:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

how much refund is there for being banned?

and tenet i completely agree with you

May 21, 2009 5:52:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Istari,

He had some very good points in there, and didn't asked for a refund.

While MeliBee just got karma for her good work from me, i am wondering, why it isnt possible to give bad karma. Your answer didnt help anyone.

May 21, 2009 6:03:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MishYu,

Quoting Zoomba, reply 25

Thank you.

hahaha

As for the OP:People just need to quit bitching already. sheesh.

He wasn't bitching he was telling it like it is.  Game has improved a lot now, but back a few weeks ago I was of the same mindset.

May 21, 2009 6:09:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Istari,

Not people a full refund because they can technically play online in this trainwreck is against your Gamers Bill of Rights, releasing a game unfinished is against the GBoR.

I'm thinking this was a joke?  If it wasn't, then I'd want a refund too.  Warskulls opinions match my own.  I enjoy Demigod, but it's had more problems/hassles/facepalms and broken promises than any game should.  The broken favor in particular is really tough to swallow at this stage.

May 21, 2009 6:25:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

WarskullX did not ask you for a refund, nor does his supposed unhappyness at the facts he presents in his comment warrants your actions.

You just banned one of the more constructive and active members of this community, and a member of our tournament team with a match scheduled for this saturday. All that based on one fact supported comment.

Ugly move.

They could ban whoever the hell they want. They are under no obligation to ban only the people who annoy the hell out of everybody. And openness? Don't give me that. All I read from him was "THIS GAME SUCKS!" Not only did he fail to factor in the fact that they still do provide %100 refunds, he blatantly belittled Stardock's man hours of commitment to the game. Understand, that Stardock is under NO OBLIGATION to give you any refund at all. In fact, with any other company that Warskull would have been told to go screw himself. He should be happy that he got a refund.

May 21, 2009 6:41:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting TenetGW,

Quoting Istari,
reply 15

Ugly move.

Just to clarify as someone who did not purchase Demigod but am watching the release and how well this Impulse, Stardock, Gamer Bills of Right combo works... if you request a refund, or complain to a point and are forced (?) to accept a refund, you are thereby banned from the forum and Impulse/Stardock as a service?

May 21, 2009 6:49:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No.

If you ask for a refund, you get a refund and that's that.

If you are an idiot, you get a forced refund and you're banned from the services.

May 21, 2009 6:55:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you simply mail sales and request a refund, no, there is no reason you would get banned. We've acknowledged the issues and if they're too much for you, we don't begrudge you wanting to put your money to better use.

But in the above example, a user insulted our support and dedication to Demigod and its users, and as a result was basically given his money back and shown the door; this is an exceptional case. We have no problem tolerating criticism, but if someone makes it personal like that we're not under any obligation to take it sitting down. Just as users can opt not to buy stuff from us if they like, we can opt not to *let* them.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000843   Page Render Time: