The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: So much for piracy

By on April 29, 2009 12:15:08 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1469

If I wrote a post saying that Demigod sales were far below what we had hoped for and I said that the reason was due to piracy and that the answer was that we should have put some nasty copy protection on those DVDs to have prevented early piracy what do you think people would say?

I know what my answer to that would be.  I would say that Stardock couldn’t blame poor sales on piracy but rather the fact that the game’s built-in multiplayer match-making was totally broken for the first day of release due to its underestimation of network resources that a mainstream game would take and even when that got addressed, the multiplayer match-making for two weeks and counting has been incredibly flakey which affected reviews and word of mouth.  That’s what I would say.

And yet…

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23381\

Demigod debuts at #3 for top selling PC games at retail – bearing in mind that that was a partial week and that the majority of units sold were digital sales which weren’t counted.

But…but…what about those hundreds of thousands of pirates? Yep. Demigod is heavily pirated. And make no mistake, piracy pisses me off.  If you’re playing a pirated copy right now, if you’re one of those people on Hamachi or GameRanger playing a pirated copy and have been for more than a few days, then you should either buy it or accept that you’re a thief and quit rationalizing it any other way.

The reality that most PC game publishers ignore is that there are people who buy games and people who don’t buy games. The focus of a business is to increase its sales.  My job, as CEO of Stardock, is not to fight worldwide piracy no matter how much it aggravates me personally. My job is to maximize the sales of my product and service and I do that by focusing on the people who pay my salary – our customers.

As Ars Technica quoted over a year ago:

"The reason why we don't put copy protection on our games isn't because we're nice guys. We do it because the people who actually buy games don't like to mess with it. Our customers make the rules, not the pirates. Pirates don't count," Wardell argues. "When Sins popped up as the #1 best selling game at retail a couple weeks ago, a game that has no copy protect whatsoever, that should tell you that piracy is not the primary issue."

Even Demigod, a game that shipped with no copy protection on the DVD, was massively pirated, and has had, to put it mildly severe launch issues with its multiplayer match-making which has had a negative impact on its Metacritic score has still managed to debut at the top of retail sales charts  (not counting our digital sales).

Why is that?  At that point I can only speculate but the first reason is pretty straight forward: Demigod is an awesome game. Second, while the multiplayer matchmaking that comes with the game currently sucks, our customers know it will get fixed. Part of that is the demographic of Stardock customers. They’re more experienced, they know that some of the issues with the MP matchmaking aren’t due to rushing the game out or negligence but rather the fact that complicated systems sometimes don’t scale well and there is no substitute for time when it comes to fix them.

I think there are many lessons to be learned from Demigod.  For example, if I had to do it over again, I would be inclined to require a valid user account to play LAN even if it only has to be validated one time. That way, we could also make it a lot easier for a legal user to have a LAN party with a single license. Anyone who has played Demigod on Game Ranger probably knows what and why I'm bringing that up.

When the focus of energy is put on customers rather than fighting pirates, you end up with more sales.  It seems common sense to me but then again, I’m just an engineer.

Locked Post 238 Replies +6
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 4, 2009 3:47:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Ah yes, the exact letter of the law.

The mistake you are making is that you equate profit via copyrights as the only way for one to be rewarded for their work. Once I then say that I am opposed to this kind of profit, you claim that I am against people being rewarded for their work.

Needless to say, this is not what I propose. I fully believe that people should be rewarded for their work but that copyrights are the wrong way to do it with as it does far more harm than good.

May 4, 2009 5:04:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ownership of an idea or a product you have created off of your own brains and brawns is the central principal to the modern world; besides the law, of course. Freedom of information to all is a noble idea, and I would support it in an ideal world however since 100,000 people illegally downloaded this game before it was offically released I would say we don't live in an ideal world and these people don't deserve the benefit of the doubt; they obtained the game in a manner deliberatly designed to avoid payment of it and thus I call them thieves. The law states a person in entitled to reep the profits of an idea/product that they have marked and registered as their own; are you above the law?

May 4, 2009 5:29:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
Ownership of an idea or a product you have created off of your own brains and brawns is the central principal to the modern world;

No, ownership of an idea was never a central principle of the modern world. Never (quite the contrary actually if you care to look at the history of art before the mid-20th century). You have laws which jury-rig something like an "onwership" of an idea for the purpose of promoting creativity, so when creativity is not promoted anymore, then the law is obsolete.

they obtained the game in a manner deliberatly designed to avoid payment of it and thus I call them thieves.

That does not follow. Thievery does not equate with "avoiding payment". By this reasoning, someone who becomes friends with Frogboy and gets a copy for free is a thief as he "avoided payment". Same for someone who got the game as a promo offer or somesuch.

Whatever you may call them, is irrelevant. You may call them murderers too, but that does not make them so.

The law states a person in entitled to reep the profits of an idea/product that they have marked and registered as their own; are you above the law?

Just because something is the law, does not make it right. Otherwise laws would never be changed (as they do all the time)

May 4, 2009 7:52:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting db0,
That does not follow. Thievery does not equate with "avoiding payment". By this reasoning, someone who becomes friends with Frogboy and gets a copy for free is a thief as he "avoided payment". Same for someone who got the game as a promo offer or somesuch.

Whatever you may call them, is irrelevant. You may call them murderers too, but that does not make them so.

Ah, of course, because by "avoiding payment" I meant people who receive the game through give-aways and promotional offers, and not downloading it from a peer-to-peer network or off of a LAN network or cracking a friends copy of the game by locating a cracked execute file on the internet and downloading it.

*Sigh*

Arguing to the definition of the words used in ones post rather than for or against the general idea, ideal or concept the post puts forth - which you will no doubt argue is in fact put forth by the exact words one uses - is a pointless debate. You chose to not understand and argue against contrary definitions derived by deliberatly ignoring the concepts, ideas and ideals of a post while seeking holes in the finer details to provide a fruitless argument or debate.

The fact remains you don't believe downloading the game over a peer to peer network is stealing the game. I disagree. To argue that it's not theft because it's not causing them to lose a sale is refering to the strictest terms of the law. This assume the person downloading the game did so because they did not want to buy the game. Well, I don't want to pay for my Cars' tires, can I take those without payment or permission? I didn't cost them a sale because I had no intention of buying the Tires. Oh, no, wait - that's stealing. Where do you draw the line? Right there - you say - between the real and the digital? Between whats considered a material product and whats not? As you yourself put it:

Quoting db0,
Just because something is the law, does not make it right. Otherwise laws would never be changed (as they do all the time)

The laws are simply behind the times to define the terms in more accurate terminology, however only those profiting - and by profit I actually mean through the cost of no expense, since your not making money illegally downloading games your simply not spending money - chose to be ignorant to that fact that it is stealing. You believe internet based piracy is in fact a good thing, spreading the products to the masses which in term generates buisness for the people who rely on the sales of their computer applications for their livelyhood ... how? Word of mouth? When offered two identical products, one that costs and one that does not, it's safe to assume that the person is going to chose the product that is of the best value. It's difficult to beat anything 'free' in terms of value, especially if a group of talented people have spent years crafting it to ensure it provides "value".

If you were to select a career dedicated to the production of a particular product, and then spend many, many months creating a product from that career path for the sole purpose of selling copies of it to provide yourself with money to continue paying your bills, buy food, etc. and this product didn't sell because someone was able to hand the exact product you created - not a knock-off, not a cheap immitation but your product - to the masses through a method of reproduction without your consent, you'd be ok with that? You'd pat them on the back and say "Well done lad"? I think not.
You'll argue that Stardock has made money off of Demigod, and I can't prove that piracy cost them a Sale. True. I can't. I can use my brain though, and summise that at least 100,000 people downloaded the game - that's actual, confirmed figures - and tried to connect to Stardock's servers. Since Stardock offers unconditional refunds for it's games, why? Download the game and try it, and if you don't like it get a refund. The only difference in the situations is the transfer of funds. They downloaded the game from the peer-to-peer network because they didn't want to transfer funds from their accounts to Stardock for the purposes of owning their game. They stole it because they didn't want to give Stardock they're money, costing them sales.

May 4, 2009 11:01:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting db0,

Quoting Vespucci, reply 6

I cited which dictionary and which definition.  Whatever, I picked the definitions which were germain.  How could using steal to mean "conduct in a clandestine manner" have /any/ relevance to you cheating people out of their hard earned money.  C'mon.  Maybe you're Blaster and I'm Mel Gibson and some midget is running around yelling "Who run bartertown?!?!" but I was hoping you were Tina Turner in that scenario.  Guess I was wrong.
You're getting very disconnected. Take your meds.

Shall I repeat what I said above? You are using particular definitions that fit your purpose. If I were to use another definition of stealing, you argument would collapse. You are furthermore using this particular definition so you can claim "See Stealing" which most people will understand as physical theft. Therefore you're bartering on equivocation to make an emotional argument for the audience. This is intellectually dishonest.

just because plagiarism is another word for "stealing ideas, credit, etc" doesn't mean it still isn't stealing.  .

*sigh*. No Plagiarism is not the same as stealing. It's weird that I had to point that out...

Frogboy generates 1,000 completely new ideas a year.  He charges people $10 to hear one of his ideas. 

Stop right there. The problem in the first place is that Frogboy has a bad business plan (IN this example, as I know that this is actually not his business plan). He has a business plan which does not take into account the reality (Ie piracy exists, ideas are not scarce etc) and is also based on an obsolete law (ie copyrights) designed to work in a scarce society. Furthermore, just because it can work via this old law, it doesn't make it so that people deserve to profit, especially since that law was not about helping people monetize their idea, but rather about promoting creativity. And as you mentioned yourself, through piract creativity has been promoted, and much faster than through copyrights.

I don't think you can argue reasonably that nothing happened.  Yeah, so what happened . . .[...]
Of course what happened is what would happen if an obsolete law didn't violate its own spirit (ie promoting creativity). As for our imaginary Frogboy, there is no objective moral law that says he should be profiting from selling his ideas. Certainly he deaserves to be rewarded for his mental work but he should be using the correct business plan instead of forcing everyone to conform to one that is based on obsolete laws that do more harm than good.

i will sacrifice a goat if this makes more sense.

Remember: Meds!

Do you have any sort of response which isn't just a personal attack?  Really?  If that's the best you can do, then you've already admitted defeat.  And the psh-pah handwaving thing doesn't carry any more weight.  Anyway . . . I'm also disappointed you missed a classic Mad Max reference.  I probably would have at least looked for your next reply if had got it.  Oh well.  Enjoy being wrong!

*plonk*

May 4, 2009 1:33:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Brad,

I don't know if you remember me from the old strategy newsgroups (Bob Perez) but you and I used to talk about piracy all the time. As I said then, and continue to say now, the more people playing your game, the more people buying your game. It's always worked for me and my productivity software sales, and I believe it's also true for games.

Congratulations on a great game. My family and friennds are all playing it non-stop.

BobP

May 4, 2009 2:02:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Did anyone else see the latest Gameranger announcement that soon it will be requiring patched,up-to-date versions of Demigod? Score one for the legits.

May 4, 2009 2:02:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

God, of all the stupid arguments...

You can run around trying to redefine and properly define and misdefine all you want, but it boils down to two things:

Developers and publishers have a right to be paid for the product they put out, and by pirating it you are stealing that money from them.  You can run around complaining that it isn't actually theft because of xyz or say that it actually falls under the legal definition of SomeStupidThing, but you are, morally and ethically, stealling from the people who made it.

All the fancy arm waving and carefuly constructed arguments cannot defeat that simple point.

May 5, 2009 12:41:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why argue about it (piracy and it's rationalisation)?

If you are serious about making money from software, you need to make it so that people can't pirate it (which is likely to be impossible) or make it so that it is more convenient to buy it. As simple as that

It's the responsibility of those creating things to safeguard their investment, not the general public to ensure they comply with the desires of those making products for consumption.

May 5, 2009 6:07:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I always wonder at what price point would piracy be minimally reduced to almost say 10%? What if Demigod came out at $19.99 ? ~ $29.99 ?

With the upcoming 50% off coupon given to all the people who bought before May 10th? I forget the exact date , if you think about it , everyone on average bought the game for $39.99 ~ $49.99 .

Say they sold 50k copies in that time ( just a guess ) so now say the 50k customers each give away their 50% off coupon for a friend to get the game at half price.

Thats another 50k copies sold at $19.99 ~ $24.99

So you are looking at 100k copies sold at an average of say $25.xx , if the game would be released from the start at this price point , would the overall piracy numbers be so high? Also take into account a percentage of the piracy is due to the game being released at different dates in different territories.

I am and always will be a strong proponant to the fact that game are overpriced and at their introduction they are focused at the MUST OWN IT NOW (IMPULSIVE) buying crowd / fanboys. ( I am a part of this fanboy crowd , at least with Stardock and Relic Games) ... then 2-3 months later when the price drops is when the mainstream crowd that waits for reviews and such , then make their purchase.

Some say pirates are people who would never have been customers, some say they are customers that are under-served, I think pirates are customers that don't want to pay the introductory price and don't want to wait 2 months for the price to drop. In the end there will always be pirates, but I think their numbers would be reduced if inital prices were lower. Just something to think about.

May 5, 2009 6:54:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think your point is best emphasied by the gaming industry in Australia.

Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 games retail for AU$120.00 at launch. Even the shit ones.
Nearly all PC Games will cost AU$100.00 at launch, some expansion packs and other 'smaller' games will cost AU$79.95. I'm not sure of Demigod's price at retail, I paid $59.00 for it over Impulse.

If I remember rightly, and I can't provide links but it's the main reason I refuse to use it, Steam adjusted it's prices to Australian customers after several publishers complained that games were cheaper on Steam by quite a high margin which lowered the amount of retail sales or some such. So, for no understandable reason, all Steam games cost more to Australian customers than they do to American customers. It's certainly incentive to Pirate games right there.

May 5, 2009 6:58:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That and they release no blood versions of games in Australia, retards.  People should be able to make up their own minds about the level of detail & violence in games without some fat cat who doesn't even play video games making them for us.

Some people become pirates because they are sick of being screwed over left right and center.

May 5, 2009 9:43:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have 300+ official games, about 90% I have or had played in pirated form before I bought them. Quite a few of those boxes have never been opened because I finished the game already!

Even when it was possible to play the game online and I could with a pirated copy, I still bought it in the end. These days as my time to play games is limited, and I tend to have more monetary resources, I buy most games immedialty, and only those I'm unsure about I might play in pirated form. Last game I played like that was Far Cry 2, which I avoided like the plague afterwards   (looked nice and the idea was nice, but not when you get shot in the ass S.T.A.L.K.E.R. style after cleaning up a camp by freshly spawned enemies the moment you turn around! )

Quite a few games I wouldn't have bought if I hadn't played a pirated version first! (Like Star Wars Rebellion, I loved it, still do though it got awful reviews... Or Sins of a Solar Empire, of which I hadn't even heard before reading about it on a certain torrentrelease site). 

I'm not defending pirates because I hear a lot of people who skip buying a certain game because they got it cracked, or who never buy any games at all because they can play them anyway, I also know quite a few people who wouldn't have bought certain games if they hadn't played the pirated version first or got told by someone who did

Oh and I didn't pirate or play Demigod pirated out of principle, due to Sins of a solar empire and Stardock (and their principles).  I am a Dota player though

May 7, 2009 3:36:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Ah, of course, because by "avoiding payment" I meant people who receive the game through give-aways and promotional offers, and not downloading it from a peer-to-peer network or off of a LAN network or cracking a friends copy of the game by locating a cracked execute file on the internet and downloading it.

You tried to equate "stealing" with "avoiding payment". This is the logical end of your equation. Now you're trying to twist out of it by claiming that "Oh I really meant something specific, not _avoiding payment_ in general." which just shows that your whole argument is based on a equivocal edifice.

Arguing to the definition of the words used in ones post rather than for or against the general idea, ideal or concept the post puts forth - which you will no doubt argue is in fact put forth by the exact words one uses - is a pointless debate. You chose to not understand and argue against contrary definitions derived by deliberatly ignoring the concepts, ideas and ideals of a post while seeking holes in the finer details to provide a fruitless argument or debate.

I can argue the general idea of piracy as well, but Frogboy and many others here don't make a general argument against piracy, but rather simply equate piracy to thievery. Thus the argument here is on wether those are the same. Don't try to switch arguments when it doesn't suit you.

If you want to talk about the merits and demerits of piracy ,we can do so.

If you want to talk about wether piracy is the same as theft, we can do so.

But make up you mind which one you want.

To argue that it's not theft because it's not causing them to lose a sale is refering to the strictest terms of the law.

No it's arguing on the definition of theft most people use. The reason that law differentiates between theft (a criminal offense) and copyrights violation (a civil offense) is because it needs to avoid equivocation arguments as each has different harms associated with it.

In short, the law is strict because it needs to be so to avoid doing more harm than good. Something you obviously don't need the need to adhere to.

This assume the person downloading the game did so because they did not want to buy the game. Well, I don't want to pay for my Cars' tires, can I take those without payment or permission?I didn't cost them a sale because I had no intention of buying the Tires. Oh, no, wait - that's stealing. Where do you draw the line? Right there - you say - between the real and the digital? Between whats considered a material product and whats not? As you yourself put it:

Again you have to rely on an analogy with scarce material goods. I've refuted such arguments in this thread what? 3 times now? No, it's not the same because in the later case, the original owner will LOSE THE ACTUAL TIRES. Is this "line" so difficult to see? Here let me make it more clear

Stealing: Original owner lost the commodity

Copyright Violation: Original owner did not lose the commodity

The laws are simply behind the times to define the terms in more accurate terminology, however only those profiting - and by profit I actually mean through the cost of no expense, since your not making money illegally downloading games yoursimply not spending money - chose to be ignorant to that fact that it is stealing.

There you go again, making up your own definitions. "Profiting" now equals a violation of copyrights. What an amazing dictionary you must have.

You believe internet based piracy is in fact a good thing, spreading the products to the masses which in term generates buisness for the people who rely on the sales of their computer applications for their livelyhood ... how? Word of mouth? When offered two identical products, one that costs and one that does not, it's safe to assume that the person is going to chose the product that is of the best value. It's difficult to beat anything 'free' in terms of value, especially if a group of talented people have spent years crafting it to ensure it provides "value".

I believe Piracy is a good thing because it promotes creativity, something which is the original meaning of copyright law. The fact that products that are more pirated generally do better sales is a good correlation as well.

The trick to "beating free" is not competing with it on price. The trick is to instead use the free distribution of digital goods to power different business models. Stardock already recognises this with their "Games as service" plan even if you cannot imagine it. Which is incidentally why Stardock is much more blase about Piracy than others. They're just held back by previous misconceptions too.

If you were to select a career dedicated to the production of a particular product, and then spend many, many months creating a product from that career path for the sole purpose of selling copies of it to provide yourself with money to continue paying your bills, buy food, etc. and this product didn't sell because someone was able to hand the exact product you created - not a knock-off, not a cheap immitation but your product - to the masses through a method of reproduction without your consent, you'd be ok with that? You'd pat them on the back and say "Well done lad"? I think not.

Nobody can sell my product to the masses. it has to be a cheap immitation or a knock off if we're talking about material goods. If we're talking about ideas, then obviously I would be a fool to select such a career. As big a fool actually as going on a career to build a Telegraph system in the age of Telephony.

You'll argue that Stardock has made money off of Demigod, and I can't prove that piracy cost them a Sale. True. I can't. I can use my brain though, and summise that at least 100,000 people downloaded the game - that's actual, confirmed figures - and tried to connect to Stardock's servers. Since Stardock offers unconditional refunds for it's games, why? Download the game and try it, and if you don't like it get a refund. The only difference in the situations is the transfer of funds. They downloaded the game from the peer-to-peer network because they didn't want to transfer funds from their accounts to Stardock for the purposes of owning their game. They stole it because they didn't want to give Stardock they're money, costing them sales.

There's lots of reasons on why people will download instead of buy and refund. It could be that they have no credit card. it could be that they have no money for the initial investment. It could be that they don't care for the hassle as downloading for trial is easier. Ask 100.000 people and you'll get 1.000 answers.

So you're only showing with your "brain use" that you're eager to jump to the desired assumptions in order to falsely call others "thieves".

@Vespucci

If one sentence making fun of your disconnected writing style is enough to stop you from arguing then I guess that's just you grasping at straws to declare victory. Well done. You win one internets. You can exchange it for a pirated copy of Demigod.

May 7, 2009 5:11:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have to admit when I first got this game I was pondering the worthyness of it, but after multiplaying for awhile I am addicted. I do see the bugs some places, but what games doesnt have them. I am glad to see your apporach to DRM and piracy as it is a refreshing change to other publishers. I just hope I can convince my brother to try it and buy a copy to play with me, but thats another story.

I am also glad to see a CEO has time to view forums and actualy get a message out to the people that he cares. Lets face it, CEOs in the past do not always have a consumer friendly approach.

May 7, 2009 5:57:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

When the focus of energy is put on customers rather than fighting pirates, you end up with more sales.  It seems common sense to me but then again, I’m just an engineer.

Amen to that. I was a little sceptic at first to this game because it didn't seem like my type of game. With your healthy attitude regarding DRM and piracy really made me want to support that, so I went ahead and bought it. It's still a nice game but I'm very happy that I got to encourage your stance.

May 7, 2009 6:19:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting db0,

Again you have to rely on an analogy with scarce material goods. I've refuted such arguments in this thread what? 3 times now? No, it's not the same because in the later case, the original owner will LOSE THE ACTUAL TIRES. Is this "line" so difficult to see? Here let me make it more clear

Stealing: Original owner lost the commodity

Copyright Violation: Original owner did not lose the commodity

Hi db0, I can see that you're a real fan of analogies, let's see if you can debunk this one:

I worked in a glass factory, pretty standard stuff, producing glasses, plates, and all kind of things you can imagine made of glass. There is something in there called quality control: one plate is not properly painted (back face, factory stamp not really visible), which makes it improper to sell -> quality checks guys break it, and throw it into a huge bin. Same happens for glasses, and all other products. Note that the functional quality of the products is not a problem (who would check the stamp on the back face of a plate while eating, or if a crystal glass has a very little air bubble inclusion?).

Quality guys did something. They had a nice idea: why just break this perfectly nice stuff, when it could be used? And here they go! For two quality problem product they notice, they keep one aside. And at the end of the day, they fill their trunk with this stuff, and keep some, and give some to their relatives, and sell some to friends. No one looses anything: it's not a lost profit for the factory, as it was supposed to be broken after all.

Yes and no. Those guys were arrested one day, after factory security checked one of the cars at the exit of the factory. Guess what was the motive of the arrest: Thievery. And they all got fired in the next weeks, and some got jailtime.

No one was hurt initially there, just some kind of copyright violation by your definition (Original owner did not lose the commodity). But in the wake of this "affair", an audit of the accounts of the outlet center next to the factory revealed a 12% cut in the sales compared to the previous year's sales (2003, to avoid the "worldwide crysis" argument), when the workers started to distribute the products around. (usually, internal workers are big customers in the outlet, as they have a special 25% rebate card on non high-end products like crystal)

I do see pirates like these workers: having a nice idea (something for free), supported by a mean (quality control/crackers scene). They end up with something that they would maybe have paid for, and most of them will not pay for it once they had it.

Being one of the worker's friends, what would have been your stance if he offered you some free plates - promised, no one's hurt? I can't see anyone trying them, break them (tryout period), and go buy the same with a proper stamp.

Hope that you enjoyed my little contribution to this post, and my little experience.

May 7, 2009 6:20:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting db0,

You tried to equate "stealing" with "avoiding payment". This is the logical end of your equation. Now you're trying to twist out of it by claiming that "Oh I really meant something specific, not _avoiding payment_ in general." which just shows that your whole argument is based on a equivocal edifice.

Actually, I used the vague term 'avoiding payment' to refer to the many methods one can use to illegally obtain a copy of the game without paying for it. These methods are used to .. thats right .. avoid paying the company for their product. These include downloading the game from a Peer to Peer network, cracking a friends copy of the game, buying the game then burning it and then cracking it and then returning it to the store, downloading the game via Impulse and then backing up the files and then applying for a refund and then cracking your backed up files. I meant what I wrote - you can take from it what you'd like.

Quoting db0,
... the argument here is on wether those are the same. Don't try to switch arguments when it doesn't suit you.

Piracy is obtaining the game without paying for it. Stealing the game is obtaining the game without paying for it. Your argument is that a physical object needs to be taken for it to equate to stealing. I disagree. A product or service does not have to be material in order for it to be stolen, thus stealing does not equate soley to the theft of material objects. If a banker transfers all the money out of your account using his software, is this not stealing?

Quoting db0,

There you go again, making up your own definitions. "Profiting" now equals a violation of copyrights. What an amazing dictionary you must have.

If someone can profit from their crimes when stealing material objects, how does one stealing immaterial objects not equate to profit? They've profited by obtaining the game from free. This equate to profit in the eyes of the law.

Quoting db0,

I believe Piracy is a good thing because it promotes creativity, something which is the original meaning of copyright law. The fact that products that are more pirated generally do better sales is a good correlation as well.

Interesting. You see people pirating popullar items a good thing and an indication of popullar the item is however people were unable to market it towards them successful hence the piracy. Myself, I see people obtaining the most popullar items without paying for it as a sign they want the most popullar thing and they don't want to pay for it.

Quoting db0,

If we're talking about ideas, then obviously I would be a fool to select such a career. As big a fool actually as going on a career to build a Telegraph system in the age of Telephony.

I'll let you explain that Stephen King, who's books are scanned into a computer by pirates and downloaded by people who want to read his books without paying for it.

Quoting db0,

... it could be that they have no money for the initial investment.

Someone who has no money is unable to buy something that has a price tag and instead of waiting until they can afford it they go out and obtain it without paying for it illegally. Nope, not stealing at all.

Quoting db0,

So you're only showing with your "brain use" that you're eager to jump to the desired assumptions in order to falsely call others "thieves".

100,000 people illegally downloaded the game. Thieves.

May 7, 2009 7:00:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*skipping through the age old arguments*

Here's my story:

Growing up with my parents, they were anti gaming, anti buying anything that is over $10 unless it was school related or absolutely neccessary. They were thrift becuz we were broke. They hated gaming cuz it was a waste of time to their eyes. I was never allowed to play PC games or much console gaming. But hell, I LOVED gaming even as a child. I was nuts whenever it was computer lab day in school cuz I got to play Oregon Trail.

It wasn't until I was a teenager that I learned how to use the internet and pirate, yes, pirate stuff. And boy did I have a blast with that. I now had music I otherwise wasn't allowed to have (which I kept hidden), I could watch movies my parents would break my neck before they'd let me watch, and so on and so forth. I never did pirate games from the internet becuz our connection was way too slow and it took too long so it made me more vulnerable to getting caught. But I had a neighbor (bless his heart) who gave me a pirate copy of old sega games, Shining Force, Sonic, among many many others, and that was the best thing ever!

Most won't believe how harsh and strict some parents are. But enough of about my tortoureous childhood. It was due to that, I do see a different side to piracy.

That being said, I do believe that piracy is stealing. I don't think people should pirate stuff simply because they can even though they have every means possible to obtain the material legally. Now that I'm on my own, make my own money and can do as I please, I pay for all the movies I have, all the games I play and *most* of the music I listen to (considering I don't pay for Youtube or any of the other sites out there that hosts music vids and stuff). 

May 7, 2009 7:54:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@yaume, your anecdote has 2 distinct aspects to it that one needs to address

1. Was the charge of stealing levelled at the workers correct?

2. Was the act itself of the workers wrong.

The first can easily be answered in the positive. The act was theft because they took items from the original owner (thus, he lost them) without paying. This is obvious theft as the reason why the owner wanted to keep them is irrelevant to the case. The item, according to law, belonged to the owner who could decide himself how he wanted to dispose of it.

The second part is a bit more tricky. I would say that the act itself was not wrong since as you rightly pointed out, caused small harm. Of course there are caveats to that. 1st, it caused harm to the original owner because it reduced his demand and thus his profit. It is for this reason basically that those doing it were prosecuted. Of course, I wouldn't ally with the owner in that he needs to make this profit. The second caveeat is that the state would consider wrong for some people to avoid security laws to get something cheaper. I wouldn't agree with this condemnation either.

So while it is true that from a utilitarian perspective, this act was not bad, from a business perspective it was, and it is business that makes the laws, which meant that the workers were punished.

As for me, I would take the glass and tell them to be very careful.

@ZehDon

Actually, I used the vague term 'avoiding payment' to refer to the many methods one can use to illegally obtain a copy of the game without paying for it.

No you used the term to denote thievery. Since you already forgot what you said let me quote you:

they obtained the game in a manner deliberatly designed to avoid payment of it and thus I call them thieves.

This was simply another of your attempts to somehow link piracy to thievery which you're trying to save now.

These methods are used to .. thats right .. avoid paying the company for their product.

Many other methods are used to avoid paying a company for their product as well. That does not make "avoiding payment" equal stealing.

Perhaps you mean that "illegaly avoiding payment" is stealing. Which means that you are simply begging the question. If the law changes to make file-sharing legal, is it not stealing anymore? If the law makes second-market sales illegal (as some companies are trying to do), does this make reselling equal stealing?

Piracy is obtaining the game without paying for it. Stealing the game is obtaining the game without paying for it.

You can repeat your assertions until you're blue in the face but it won't make it so. Stealing, to repeat myself once more, requires more than "not paying". It requires that the owner also loses the commodity. Not only that but even by your definition, a game I give as a gift is "stealing".

Your argument is that a physical object needs to be taken for it to equate to stealing. I disagree. A product or service does not have to be material in order for it to be stolen, thus stealing does not equate soley to the theft of material objects. If a banker transfers all the money out of your account using his software, is this not stealing?

My argument does not limit itself to physical objects. I simply say that victim needs to lose whatever the thief gains through the act. So taking money out of one's bank account is obviously stealing.

If someone can profit from their crimes when stealing material objects, how does one stealing immaterial objects not equate to profit? They've profited by obtaining the game from free. This equate to profit in the eyes of the law.

You're begging the question again. The argument is wether copying digital goods is "stealing", which means you cannot use that  as proven "how does one stealing immaterial objects..." in your own argument.

Not only that, but even your use of "profit" equivocating between the informal use of the word and the business use.

Interesting. You see people pirating popullar items a good thing and an indication of popullar the item is however people were unable to market it towards them successful hence the piracy. Myself, I see people obtaining the most popullar items without paying for it as a sign they want the most popullar thing and they don't want to pay for it.

Wrong. People were able to market it to them successfully, which is why there is a demand. You're also wrong on why I see Piracy as good (I've said it above so I won't repeat myself)

I'll let you explain that Stephen King, who's books are scanned into a computer by pirates and downloaded by people who want to read his books without paying for it.

And your point is what? That your analogy doesn't hold in regards to books?

Someone who has no money is unable to buy something that has a price tag and instead of waiting until they can afford it they go out and obtain it without paying for it illegally. Nope, not stealing at all.

There you go once again, falling back to your original tactic of making an analogy (presupposing a link) between physical theft and piracy, the same thing you're trying to prove.

100,000 people illegally downloaded the game. Thieves.

What, your argument now devolved into stubbornly repeating yourself? Will you plug your ears and go "La-la-la I can't hear you!"

May 8, 2009 1:04:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

EDIT: the quote tags seem to hate me today, sorry for it being difficult to read, and replied to same statement twice (yeah, I'm smart lol)

No you used the term to denote thievery. Since you already forgot what you said let me quote you:

This was simply another of your attempts to somehow link piracy to thievery which you're trying to save now... Many other methods are used to avoid paying a company for their product as well. That does not make "avoiding payment" equal stealing.

Firstly, as I've previously stated, your simply refering to the least logical meaning of my statements and debating from there rather than deducing the correct meaning and debating from that point. Any word or sentence can be misunderstood, so let's start out by laying some ground information. Now that you have a clearer understand of the word, I'll direct you to use of the word "avoid" in my argument, from which you can then extrapolate the meaning of "avoiding". Avoid can be used in a situation where the word escape doesn't apply in it's purest meaning. Taking this information, I'm sure you can realise that 'gifting' the game or recieving the game as a gift is not 'avoiding' payment if the word avoid is properly understood and the correct meaning, of several, is used. Avoiding payment of a product can, if the correct method of avoiding payment is used, be equated to stealing. Such as in the instances of digital piracy, for example.

If the law changes to make file-sharing legal, is it not stealing anymore? If the law makes second-market sales illegal (as some companies are trying to do), does this make reselling equal stealing?

Actually file sharing is legal, otherwise companies like Microsoft and other OS companies who product network code for the express purpose of file sharing would be liable under whatever law you think makes file-sharing illegal. Hell, it could well be argued that anyone with a network card that has ben used would be liable.
Thats answering your question, however through my "brain use" I can deduce this was not your intendead meaning. Peer 2 Peer networks are legal, copying of copyrighted material is not... hence the extience of the laws surrounding "copyright".
And the concept of second-market selling would have far reaching repercussions, ebay would need to restructure or close and garage sales would be a jailable offense for multiple violations, so I can only guess your refering to the re-selling of games. For this to be done, the EUA you agree to when purchasing video games would need to be amended, in which case selling the game after purchasing it would place you in violation of your Agreement rather than theft of the game. I can see your point, however the company has still received payment for their product which was sold with permission through the correct legal channels and as such negates the use of the term 'theft'. The people wanting to criminalise second-market selling are merely trying to increase their profit protential by cutting down on the people who buy the game, finish it, and re-sell it to someone else wanting to experience the game. The potential for this to cripple the industry relies on a single assumption; no one wants to play the game more than once. 

You can repeat your assertions until you're blue in the face but it won't make it so. Stealing, to repeat myself once more, requires more than "not paying". It requires that the owner also loses the commodity. Not only that but even by your definition, a game I give as a gift is "stealing".

Actually, no. Theft requires only that another persons legal belongings are appropriated by someone else without permission. Buying the game from a retailer is a form of permission and is clearly identified in the eyes of the law. Interlectual property laws were created for just such situations, funnily enough.

Not only that, but even your use of "profit" equivocating between the informal use of the word and the business use.

Valid point, I hadn't realised I'd done that. Sorry.

What, your argument now devolved into stubbornly repeating yourself? Will you plug your ears and go "La-la-la I can't hear you!"

Having resupplied information and supplied new information I restated my point. 100,000 people downloaded* the game. Thieves.

*Downloading in this is sense of the word takes into consideration the common useage of the word to describe the act of obtaining copyrighting material illegally via the networking service and system known as Peer to Peer networks.

May 8, 2009 2:14:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Firstly, as I've previously stated, your simply refering to the least logical meaning of my statements and debating from there rather than deducing the correct meaning and debating from that point. Any word or sentence can be misunderstood, so let's start out by laying some ground information. Now that you have a clearer understand of the word, I'll direct you to use of the word "avoid" in my argument, from which you can then extrapolate the meaning of "avoiding". Avoid can be used in a situation where the word escape doesn't apply in it's purest meaning. Taking this information, I'm sure you can realise that 'gifting' the game or recieving the game as a gift is not 'avoiding' payment if the word avoid is properly understood and the correct meaning, of several, is used. Avoiding payment of a product can, if the correct method of avoiding payment is used, be equated to stealing. Such as in the instances of digital piracy, for example.

If you want to use a particular definition of "avoid", then come right out and say it, because the way you explain it, you wield "avoiding payment" simply as an extra equivocation step between 'piracy' and 'stealing'.

Actually file sharing is legal[...]I can deduce this was not your intendead meaning.

You knew perfectly well what I meant so what was all that? An attempt to support your "brain use"? Lets not waste more time please.

Peer 2 Peer networks are legal, copying of copyrighted material is not... hence the extience of the laws surrounding "copyright".

That's cyclical reasoning. Copyright violation is not legal and because of that we have laws making it not legal? If you see the real reason why copyright violation is not legal, why copyrights exist in the first place, then you say what I've been saying all along.

And the concept of second-market selling would have far reaching repercussions, ebay would need to restructure or close and garage sales would be a jailable offense for multiple violations, so I can only guess your refering to the re-selling of games. For this to be done, the EUA you agree to when purchasing video games would need to be amended, in which case selling the game after purchasing it would place you in violation of your Agreement rather than theft of the game. I can see your point, however the company has still received payment for their product which was sold with permission through the correct legal channels and as such negates the use of the term 'theft'. The people wanting to criminalise second-market selling are merely trying to increase their profit protential by cutting down on the people who buy the game, finish it, and re-sell it to someone else wanting to experience the game. The potential for this to cripple the industry relies on a single assumption; no one wants to play the game more than once.

Now you're starting to use correct arguments. Namely utilitarian. You see, the point is not wether second-hand selling would become illegal, but why it would become illegal. All your arguments above won't make a jolt of difference if companies succesfully pass laws barrnig second-hand selling, such laws are almost never passed on utilitarian arguments but rather based on lies and powerful lobbies. As such, one can conceive a time where Second-Market sales do become illegal (yes, even for everything). That eBay will lose their business model is irrelevant as others will profit immensely.

If such an event does happen, according to your definition of 'stealing', second-market sales would equal theft. In this situation, you either have to define theft from utilitarian perspectives, in which case neither illegal file-sharing, nor illegal second-hand sales would be stealing, or you have to define it from a purely legal perspective, in which case both would and it would make a 'theft' apply very widely.

Actually, no. Theft requires only that another persons legal belongings are appropriated by someone else without permission. Buying the game from a retailer is a form of permission and is clearly identified in the eyes of the law. Interlectual property laws were created for just such situations, funnily enough.

You're again basing yourself on what is legal, this is what we've been arguing above already so I won't rehash it.

Having resupplied information and supplied new information I restated my point. 100,000 people downloaded* the game. Thieves.

This. Is. What. We're. Currently. Arguing!

You have not yet proven that piracy is theft. Supplying information that I've already refuted is not a case.

May 8, 2009 5:31:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

EDIT: Ok, now the quotes want to work. I hate the internet sometimes.

Quoting db0,
If you want to use a particular definition of "avoid", then come right out and say it, because the way you explain it, you wield "avoiding payment" simply as an extra equivocation step between 'piracy' and 'stealing'.

C'mon now, I shouldn't need to explain the meaning or usage of a word - when reading my argument, which use of the word did you think I meant? I find it difficult to believe that you did not understand my inital use of 'avoid'.

Quoting db0,
You knew perfectly well what I meant so what was all that? An attempt to support your "brain use"? Lets not waste more time please.

I was demonstrating how easy it is to misread someones statements when it's clear what the intended meaning of the statement was as I believe you had done previously. Let's both try to read between the lines a little, I think we'll come to a conclusion a lot faster.

Quoting db0,

That's cyclical reasoning. Copyright violation is not legal and because of that we have laws making it not legal? If you see the real reason why copyright violation is not legal, why copyrights exist in the first place, then you say what I've been saying all along.

I'll concede, I poorly worded my statement.
Copyright, as law and an ideal, exists as a way to define ownership of the immaterials work or work that is required to be copied for the creator for sale, such as music, digital products and movies. Books are covered as well, however if someone buys a book, scans the pages into the computer and then freely distributes this over the internet, is this theft or copyright infringement? What we're arguing is where to draw the line; my argument is that there is in fact no line. Yes, the person has purchased the book, however when they scanned the pages into the computer with the express intent of transfering this to others they commited copyright infringement. Copyright infringement is a legal term to refer, but not limited, to the theft of interlectual properties - infact those exact words appear in the Act (at least in Australia) and it's subsequent amendment(s). When the person downloads the book, they've also commited theft - of interlectual property.
This is a simillar situation to the second-market sales - the difference here is that the person did not breach copyright by selling the game as the original and ownership has traded hands. In fact the re-sale of ones own belongings is covered extensively in law. There are several legal document precedents that can used for a personal agreement when selling ones own belongings. If you are not able to sell the things that you own, who can? If the person in my above example had of simply given the book to another this would also have been acceptable however they reproduced a copy of the original for another, in violation of copyright.
In the eyes of the law, ownership was transfered to you when you purchased whatever product you've paid for - in this case a video game - and when you sell that, ownership is transferred from yourself to the purchaser. Plain and simple.
As I mentioned, trying to outlaw selling video games 'second-hand' is merely a grab by companies to increase their profit potential. The fault is not the end user - they are well within their legal rights to sell their own belongings and have not denied the producer their rightful income as they purchased, and thus own, a copy of the game legally.

Quoting db0,
If such an event does happen, according to your definition of 'stealing', second-market sales would equal theft. In this situation, you either have to define theft from utilitarian perspectives, in which case neither illegal file-sharing, nor illegal second-hand sales would be stealing, or you have to define it from a purely legal perspective, in which case both would and it would make a 'theft' apply very widely.

Agreed. The problem with this situation is that it would have to be agreed in a legal sense that no one owns anything that they've paid for, as if it's legal to sell one's own belongings how can selling them be in breech of copyright and thus equate to stealing? This would need to change, and the law would never be passed. It's not a question of lobbies, it's merely a question of common sense and how the law views the situation. As has been pre-established as a fundamental principal of Western society, the idea of ownership is what led to the creation of copyright laws in the first place.

Quoting db0,
This. Is. What. We're. Currently. Arguing!
You have not yet proven that piracy is theft. Supplying information that I've already refuted is not a case.

I wasn't making a point, I was stating my view point. Piracy is theft.

May 8, 2009 6:25:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

e the way you explain it, you wield "avoiding payment" simply as an extra equivocation step between 'piracy' and 'stealing'.
C'mon now, I shouldn't need to explain the meaning or usage of a word - when reading my argument, which use of the word did you think I meant? I find it difficult to believe that you did not understand my inital use of 'avoid'.

In the way you are using it, avoid has different meaning, which is what makes it an equivocation.

What you're saying is: Stealing is "avoiding payment". A copyright violation is "avoiding payment". Thus Copyright violation is stealing. This is equivocation because these two "avoiding payment" would be defined differently in each situation.

This is also logically invalid as the premises do not provide any support for the conclusion.

I was demonstrating how easy it is to misread someones statements when it's clear what the intended meaning of the statement was as I believe you had done previously. Let's both try to read between the lines a little, I think we'll come to a conclusion a lot faster.

I know that phrases can be misunderstood, but the difference in our cases is that I wasn't making an attempt at equivocation.

Copyright, as law and an ideal, exists as a way to define ownership of the immaterials work or work that is required to be copied for the creator for sale, such as music, digital products and movies.

NO!

This is not why copyrights exist as an ideal. This is what I've been saying all along and you've ignored me every time. Copyrights exist to promote creativity.

From Wikipedia:

An example of the intent of copyright, as expressed in the United States Constitution, is "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors...the exclusive Right to their...Writings"

Just from this point your subsequent argument fails.

You keep referring to what the law says as an argument, but I do not care what the law says, since I consider the law obsolete. This is a moral argument, not a legal argument.

Agreed. The problem with this situation is that it would have to be agreed in a legal sense that no one owns anything that they've paid for, as if it's legal to sell one's own belongings how can selling them be in breech of copyright and thus equate to stealing?

Here's a simple answer, because copyright law gives the authors "exclusive rights to their writings", which means that you don't have the right to sell those writings yourself.

This would need to change, and the law would never be passed. It's not a question of lobbies, it's merely a question of common sense and how the law views the situation. As has been pre-established as a fundamental principal of Western society, the idea of ownership is what led to the creation of copyright laws in the first place.

Either argue from the perspective of the law, or from "common sense". You can't have both. From a "common sense" perspective , copyrights and patents should have been revoked already.

I wasn't making a point, I was stating my view point. Piracy is theft.

You think I don't know your viewpoint by now?

May 8, 2009 6:49:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting db0,

From Wikipedia:

An example of the intent of copyright, as expressed in the United States Constitution, is "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors...the exclusive Right to their...Writings"
Just from this point your subsequent argument fails.

bad db0! never used wikipedia as a direct quote, it is not reliable

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001375   Page Render Time: