The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: So much for piracy

By on April 29, 2009 12:15:08 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1469

If I wrote a post saying that Demigod sales were far below what we had hoped for and I said that the reason was due to piracy and that the answer was that we should have put some nasty copy protection on those DVDs to have prevented early piracy what do you think people would say?

I know what my answer to that would be.  I would say that Stardock couldn’t blame poor sales on piracy but rather the fact that the game’s built-in multiplayer match-making was totally broken for the first day of release due to its underestimation of network resources that a mainstream game would take and even when that got addressed, the multiplayer match-making for two weeks and counting has been incredibly flakey which affected reviews and word of mouth.  That’s what I would say.

And yet…

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23381\

Demigod debuts at #3 for top selling PC games at retail – bearing in mind that that was a partial week and that the majority of units sold were digital sales which weren’t counted.

But…but…what about those hundreds of thousands of pirates? Yep. Demigod is heavily pirated. And make no mistake, piracy pisses me off.  If you’re playing a pirated copy right now, if you’re one of those people on Hamachi or GameRanger playing a pirated copy and have been for more than a few days, then you should either buy it or accept that you’re a thief and quit rationalizing it any other way.

The reality that most PC game publishers ignore is that there are people who buy games and people who don’t buy games. The focus of a business is to increase its sales.  My job, as CEO of Stardock, is not to fight worldwide piracy no matter how much it aggravates me personally. My job is to maximize the sales of my product and service and I do that by focusing on the people who pay my salary – our customers.

As Ars Technica quoted over a year ago:

"The reason why we don't put copy protection on our games isn't because we're nice guys. We do it because the people who actually buy games don't like to mess with it. Our customers make the rules, not the pirates. Pirates don't count," Wardell argues. "When Sins popped up as the #1 best selling game at retail a couple weeks ago, a game that has no copy protect whatsoever, that should tell you that piracy is not the primary issue."

Even Demigod, a game that shipped with no copy protection on the DVD, was massively pirated, and has had, to put it mildly severe launch issues with its multiplayer match-making which has had a negative impact on its Metacritic score has still managed to debut at the top of retail sales charts  (not counting our digital sales).

Why is that?  At that point I can only speculate but the first reason is pretty straight forward: Demigod is an awesome game. Second, while the multiplayer matchmaking that comes with the game currently sucks, our customers know it will get fixed. Part of that is the demographic of Stardock customers. They’re more experienced, they know that some of the issues with the MP matchmaking aren’t due to rushing the game out or negligence but rather the fact that complicated systems sometimes don’t scale well and there is no substitute for time when it comes to fix them.

I think there are many lessons to be learned from Demigod.  For example, if I had to do it over again, I would be inclined to require a valid user account to play LAN even if it only has to be validated one time. That way, we could also make it a lot easier for a legal user to have a LAN party with a single license. Anyone who has played Demigod on Game Ranger probably knows what and why I'm bringing that up.

When the focus of energy is put on customers rather than fighting pirates, you end up with more sales.  It seems common sense to me but then again, I’m just an engineer.

Locked Post 238 Replies +6
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 30, 2009 4:33:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This argument could go on forever;

Essentially i must agree with one comment that is correct:

Allow "spawn" clients that will only work if a full retail is also present.

This was what made me and all my friends eventually purchase most of blizzard games.

re: CD keys

They ARE DRM, you are correct.  However when was the last time the CD key (written on paper and authenticated online) installed a hidden program which you could not remove (ie Securerom).  When was the last time a SecureRom(TM) or other "OMG STOP THE PIRATES" drm did that.

Yes it "authenticates via your PC"...So does every STEAM product.  So does your credit card when you go to the local Mall (you sign or pin).  Im sure you would object if you had to give a DNA sample + a bone marrow sample every time you tried to use your credit card to stop "credit card fraud"..knowing a PIN numbeR (ie CD key???) should be enough, with a photo id to back it up if nessacery (ok so i cant help the ID bit into DRM speak)

For the record I have downloaded pirated games and will continue to.  I Also bought this one because its actually GOOD.  I have also bought a LOT of games.  I continue to PAY for a MMO subscription. 

Not ONE game that I have downloaded with ANY DRM, has ever stopped me.  the NO CD and cracks for the copy protection are out within 24 hours of release.  The only people that make any money are the DRM manufacturers, because the game developers shell out ludicrous amounts of money for a system that NEVER works. 

Thankfully Stardock wised up and figured out that you shouldnt punish your LEGITIMATE customers because pirates MIGHT steal something.  Authenticating online play I personally think is important for a second more important reason; Cheating.  If you dont have an account to Ban for hacking up the server what do you do!

Re: "Piracy has no excuses" : The lack of Demo's IS an issue.  the Lack of reasonable pricing IS an issue (Ie Australia, buy COD 4 off Steam in the first 7 days, was $US 49.99, after the first 7 days the Retail disrtibutor cried, demanded it be changed, so COD 4 was priced at $99.00 AUD.  At the time it was 88 cents in teh dollar to american$...ake a $55 game because 99 because of location. And we dont get payed twice as much as you guys do in America!!)

Pricing this game @ $39 US is completly reasonable, as opposed to $99 AUD it will be priced at when it releases here!

Most of my games that I purchase are purchased AFTER pirating to demo the game.  It was a shame Demigod didnt demo itself first, but in this case, i trusted players i played with's reccomendation.  And I dont regret it.

/rant off

April 30, 2009 5:18:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Forgboy.. actually I was going to ask you if there was some way to get 1 license to use at a lan party to show the other guys the game and play with everyone.  We have some LAN Partys ever so often (about every month or so) and some of the guys don't really like games like demigod (they usually play call of duty 4).  What does stardock feel about using one license only in the lan party session to play with about 10 other guys?  (I know three of them already purchased the game, me included)

April 30, 2009 5:24:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The sales in germany didn't started yet.

I have to wait until Mai 14 till i get my retail version from amazon.de.

So crossing fingers that your sales will rise!

April 30, 2009 6:19:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and have been for more than a few days, then you should either buy it or accept that you’re a thief and quit rationalizing it any other way.

I file-share games regularly, however I have bought all my Stardock games just because of (whatt I thought was) your stance on Piracy.

Now you made me wish I hadn't...

So tell me exactly, since Piracy doesn't result in any lost sales, since piracy actually may have a net positive effect on your sales, where exactly do you get off calling people thieves when you haven't lost anything to them?

April 30, 2009 6:47:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The people, such as those at Stardock and GPG, who make retail games spend years crafting their titles. The amount of work that goes into a game these days is phenominal. Having those people work so hard for so long only to download their game and not pay for it is stealing. People who steal are, guess what, thieves! He's right on the money. And being "offended" by Pirates being called thieves demonstrates you have no idea why the word Pirate was coined to describe these people in the first place.

Pirates love to justify their actions by saying they're making some kind of statement, like they're "sticking it to the man". The try before you buy argument is, in my opinion, slightly acceptable. Companies like EA Games delight in making their games look amazing - and they nearly always fail to deliver (SPORE?) and after being bitten many times I can at least understand this mentality. However the plain and simple truth is that in today's world many, many people simply want everything and they don't want to pay for it. It's not about trying a game or making a statement - they simply want the next big game and they don't want to pay for it. It's this reason that things like DRM have sprung up. The problem with DRM is it's completely ineffective because the people breaking down the code and making cracked executes and patches are talented and working against others in an almost competition style race to do it. They will break it, and they will do within days. Accept it. I remember hearing about how Half-Life 2 was engrained in STEAM and you couldn't play HL2 without it. Within days after it's release a non-STEAM version was floating around the net, ready to download and play.

Stardock's stance is exactly the kind of stance I would make if I ran a game company. Instead of making games riddled with punishing DRM systems that, due to the talented crackers out there, only effect the legitimate users Stardock have opted to simply make good games that people want to buy and providing their customers with a quality service. Considering I'm posting this on a forum for a Multiplayer centric game who's multiplayer component currently doesn't work myself, that speaks volumes about the company.

If you want to steal games, go ahead. Just remember; your not the one cracking the games and your not the one out-smarting DRM. Your the guy sitting in his room downloading the game to avoid paying for it. Nothing more, nothing less.

April 30, 2009 6:49:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TohKlidan,
The sales in germany didn't started yet.

I have to wait until Mai 14 till i get my retail version from amazon.de.

Why just don't buy from Impulse? You save money, even so much that you could buy another game like World of Goo or Braid.

April 30, 2009 6:52:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Having those people work so hard for so long only to download their game and not pay for it is stealing.

You probably have a very unique definition of stealing because that's not it.

When you can prove that a file downloaded is a sale lost then you can talk about stealing.

Spare me to moralistic and emotional BS. Stardock hasn't lost a single sale because of Piracy, if anything, they benefited enormously from it and all the free publicity it provided.

April 30, 2009 7:03:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting db0,

You probably have a very unique definition of stealing because that's not it.
When you can prove that a file downloaded is a sale lost then you can talk about stealing.

People have a profession.
Their profession produces a product.
This product contains features that require purchase.
They sell their product to their customers.
Other people acquire their product without purchasing it.
They search and obtain software that allows them to use the features of this product without purchasing it.

This is called stealing.

If I take a functional car from a Car Wreckers yard that was to be scrapped without permission and without paying for it and I am caught by the Police, I am charged with stealing. How is this so? If anything, I saved the wrecker work - he didn't have to scrap another car and has lost no money due to my actions. Hell, I saved him money because he doesn't have to use the electricity and hydryolics on the Car Crusher to crush the car.

This is also called stealing.

April 30, 2009 7:07:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I honestly doesnt believe pirating is such a big issue, people who download and don´t buy the game wouldnt have bought the game anyway.

1. They can´t afford

2. They don´t like it

3.. and so on

My opinion, not facts.

April 30, 2009 7:10:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I understand that, it's part of Stardock's reasoning and I agree. My point is the people who download the game for free are stealing the game whether they were hypothetically going to buy the game or not if piracy was not an option.

April 30, 2009 7:51:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

and have been for more than a few days, then you should either buy it or accept that you’re a thief and quit rationalizing it any other way.

I am not a pirate, i am just wanted to say that i am still waiting for it before i can play. and there are maybe more gamers out there wait for the release in germany.

Why just don't buy from Impulse?

Why not? I can wait.

I bought Sins also as german retail version in a store and only Entrenchment over Impulse.

April 30, 2009 7:58:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shedding,
Forgboy.. actually I was going to ask you if there was some way to get 1 license to use at a lan party to show the other guys the game and play with everyone.  We have some LAN Partys ever so often (about every month or so) and some of the guys don't really like games like demigod (they usually play call of duty 4).  What does stardock feel about using one license only in the lan party session to play with about 10 other guys?  (I know three of them already purchased the game, me included)

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/349758/page/1/#2175677

Back on page 1 of this thread.

I dislike the idea of requiring online checks to play on a LAN, for one reason: Internet access can go down. What happens when my Internet goes down and I still want to play? The LAN works fine, it shouldn't require something else to function.

April 30, 2009 8:01:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frenzyone,
I honestly doesnt believe pirating is such a big issue, people who download and don´t buy the game wouldnt have bought the game anyway.

1. They can´t afford

2. They don´t like it

3.. and so on

My opinion, not facts.

4. They're cheap.

People always prefer free to not free. That's one of the most fundamental rules of economics (and human nature). For every pirate where one of those holds true, there's another one who can afford it, does like it, and pirates simply because they can get away with it.

April 30, 2009 8:48:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

They search and obtain software that allows them to use the features of this product without purchasing it.

This is called stealing.

This is still not stealing. It's a violation of an (extended) copyright law, but not stealing.

Stealing requires someone to lose ownership, ie it's a zero-sum game. File-sharing is not.

You're simply trying to twist the meaning of a word to make an emotional argument.

If I take a functional car from a Car Wreckers yard that was to be scrapped without permission and without paying for it and I am caught by the Police, I am charged with stealing. How is this so? If anything, I saved the wrecker work - he didn't have to scrap another car and has lost no money due to my actions. Hell, I saved him money because he doesn't have to use the electricity and hydryolics on the Car Crusher to crush the car.

yes, because the car is the ownership of then wreckers who loses it after you take it, and thus lose any profit they might make from scrap metal.

Your analogy doesn't hold.

April 30, 2009 9:56:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is called stealing.

Fair enough; but judging by the fact that MANY developers (thankfully NOT stardock) are now making it a "lease agreement" where you "lease 3 installs of the game" (*COUGH SPORE COUGH*, your theory ceases to function as well.  Where ownership of the game is NOT what you are purchasing but rather a "usage right" to get around the US "Right to make one backup copy of any product you own" exemption...If its leased you cant back it up! you dont own it.

You cant make the laws work ONLY in your favor..its a two way street there.

(Again, Thankfully we have Stardock as a shining light of what game developers SHOULD be doing).

April 30, 2009 9:59:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

hey guys, i didnt read the whole stuff till now, so i hope no other one already gave my thoughts to this thread...

at first, i still cant play multiplayer games, no connection is possible, but its ok. im from europe and i hope until the official release here (14.5. ??)

it will work. also some other guys i brought to this game can play without problems so its not directly your fault.

but i have to say, even if i cant play online... I LOVE THE GAME!!!! i preordered in may 2008 and there is not a single aspect in this game that makes me sad about it. only the piracy of it is pissing me off...

i mean, yeah i pirate games as well... why?? i think one guy of valve said it with the right words: GAMES ARE TOO EXPENSIVE.

dont take me wrong... i have no problem in paying 60$ for a game. not for general. but that forced me the most time to pirate a game. that price.

i dont go into a car-house and buy a car without ever have driven it or sat in it right? many games dont even have a demo version today. look the EA games. most of them are crap. not in sight of the game enginge. crap in point of long-time interrest. they are all over in a few hours, the netcode of CNC sucks since generals for example... and that i should pay 60$ for??? the price/quality relationship is no longer given in the most parts of game industry, but you guys are making a quality of which some other publishers and developers could only dream and because of which i would ever buy your games without any bad feelings.

is there no possibility to come up with such a lan verification in a further patch of he game??? so that if they want to get the new heroes and so on they will have to buy the game and validate their account... ?

the problem i see with this is again the thing out of §15 game inlay with no licence restrictions in lan mode... i mean its great to play with your friends in a REAL LAN, without making piracy neccersarry or have all of them to buy it. thank you for that. but hamachi and so on will also be able to play on then. they only copy the whole game and share it (installed folder) and that works... i hope youll find something to prevent the piracy in a way like you were always going : NO DRM because its useless, and another reason why i buy your games

but i got another idea: some of you maybe know the playtime-keys you can give to your friends to be able to play for example team fortress 2 for 2 month without buying it. would it be posible to come up with something like that in demigod? another example is found in BattleForge (the only good EA game for years ). they got a trial version whith which you can play the game forever if you want, but there are restrictions in game so that you can only play the first 5 missions. i think such trial versions are a handy thing to make people interested in the game and brings them to buy it. also you give the people a possibility to test the game if it fits to their likes. i think you agree with me that you more likely got a customer less than a customer whos not satisfied with the product just because he doesnt like the kind of game and then giving negative reputation to others... but that way he can say, "hey, the game was not realy something for me but look at www.demigodthegame.com ,  there you can get the trial, and test it yourself"...

April 30, 2009 10:06:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting bansama,
if you’re one of those people on Hamachi or GameRanger playing a pirated copy and have been for more than a few days, then you should either buy it or accept that you’re a thief and quit rationalizing it any other way.

I totally agree with you. The one thing I hate most about pirates is the way they constantly try to justify their actions -- trying to lay the blame on anyone but themselves. "Oh, I pirated it due to the DRM" or "I pirated it due to there being no demo" or "I pirated it because it's too expensive" or "I pirated it because it's crap!" and so on.

We all already know the first claim is false, look at games like World of Goo --  an indie game with no DRM and the pirates are still all over it. In cases where there is no demo, why can't they simply wait for one? (And note to developers, that don't put out demos; start putting them out.)

If it's too expensive, then either save up or buy it when the price goes down. The price of the game is never a valid reason to steal it -- and don't start on the "it's not theft, it's copyright infringement" argument. By not paying for the game and playing it, you're stealing income the developers should have gotten from you. That's theft. And in the final case, if it's too poor in quality to pay for it, then simply don't play it.

Why do pirates always assume that they simply MUST play every game even if they can't afford to buy it or are not willing to buy it? That's what I hate about *those* people. And please, don't try to use your geographical location as a way of justifying piracy either. Don't try the, "it's not sold where I live, so I had no choice" argument; *I* live in a country where PC games are not sold domestically, yet I manage perfectly well to purchase games. Thank you very much.

So yeah, I agree. These thieves need to stop trying to explain how they couldn't possibly be thieves and accept the simply fact that they are.

I also don't think, on the publisher's side, that DRM is a valid solution. Legitimate customers should be rewarded for their purchase, not treated like they can't be trusted. I really hope that with Demigod, we will see some additional content which is simply never going to be accessible to the thieves. But I'm not an idiot, I expect they will still find a way to steal the additional content too . I really hate pirates. They ruin it for the rest of us.

First off, I know i probably shouldn't bother writing this post because bananasam isn't going to read it and probably doesn't even care what I have to say.

But here goes.  Having pirated, no, I'm going to use the word stolen, having stolen more games over my lifetime than a whole highschool of virgin nerds could fathom, I think I have a pretty good idea into the mind of the digital pirate.

Movies/music are different story, imo, but if you interested in my take, let me know.

I think bananasam's most accurate point, which Frogboy seems to understand clearly, is that people who steal games aren't going to pay for them no matter what you do.  It's true.  Those people are clearly aware that it's stealing and you know what? Those people don't care.  We live in a culture of IP theft.  I think most of forum people are old enough to a have jobs, but how many of you have seen a Xeroxed copy of that stupid beat up cat with the caption "I only have one nerve left and you're getting on it" on the wall at someone's desk?  Or the 85 different funny versions of the serenity prayer? Yeah, that overweight middle aged cat lady in your office didn't come up with that on her own, she stole it.  So when we come to software/movie theft what you're seeing are the 1%ers of the digital world.  The other 99% are doing it too, but in the socially acceptable way, and by definition the 1%ers don't give a crap about what you think.

Where banasam is wrong.  It is about price, partly.

Looking back, I think the stolen games I played the most were Liesure Suit Larry 1, 2, and 3, King's Quest 1, Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Lego Star Wars, and Rome: Total War.  The LSL and KQ we ended up buying as part of the commemorative multipack, in the lsl after we had already bought 4, 7, and 8?, so zen, whatever.  Wolfenstein 3D . . . did anyone buy that game? not to digress, but I have no memory of seeing it for sale.   Ok, so the other three . . . I maybe put 10-12 hours into RCW, 6 at best in LSW, and 15-20 in RTW.  Yeah, those are games I should have paid for (from my point of view, you can say what you want).  I would have paid $6-10/hour to play those.  Imo, that's a lot to pay for this kind of entertainment, but it's in an acceptable range. This actually a good place to mention I've heard game exec type people price their games this way. Too bad they're out of touch.  It usually goes something like "Ok, so you and a buddy go to a movie theatre, the good one in town, ok, so that's $12 each.  Oh, wait, it's 3D, so $14 each.  You get a drink, popcorn, and candy, that's another $10 each. Ok, ok, so it's an animated movie so it's only 90 miuntes long.  Man, our game will take you at least 360 minutes, so we can charge like 4 times as much dude.  So that's 14, 10, times 4, carry the 1, times 2, jesus christ we're gonna be rich dude we can charge $190!!!  Oh, wait, even better, if we knock $100 off we'll sell even more copies at $90!! yaaayy!"  Yeah, no. I did exaggerate, I'm sorry.  But I did see this defense on a nightly news show.  Man, are game budgets really on par with movie budgets?  And I slap the guy that just thought of clerks.

Ok, so now, the typical scenario.  Invited to a lan party for a game I don't own which doesn't have spawns.  Hell yeah I'm going.  If we block 12 hours for the party, someone is playing around 9 of those, and all in for maybe 3 hours, tops.  I think it's ludicrous to ask someone to pay $60-85 to play a game for 3 hours.  Insane in the membranes as the backwoodsy people would say. And then again for every flavor of C&C? Really?  How is that not about the price? I don't even like C&C, but most of my friends do, so I tolerate it. Movie theatre candy isn't that overpriced, and remember what I said about a culture of theft.  I would say ~60% of the games i stole were to play at some lan party, yes, I'm a social geek/pirate/a-hole.

The other 30% typically came in the form of some friend saying "remember XXX? this game is just like it except yyy." Where XXX is the game which we played almost exclusively for 4-5 years and continued to play for another 4-5 years part time, and yyy is modern graphics/interface/or mouse support.  You know the advertising is always top notch, and it's the number 1 game of year according to the game website.  So you really have no idea 1) what the game is, 2) how it plays, or 3) if you'd even like it. (this is usually where somebody says 'ooooh thats part of the thrill of buying a new game because you never know whats inside' and my response to that is, "hey once you've finished your marketing internship and get laid, call me up if you need a job, I could really use a doorstop) If they had demos would I have got the demo?  Probably not. Demos are invariably neutered so they can use the tagline "all this PLUS zzz feature" where zzz is the one feature you were actually interested in. I can't say I played any of these games for more than 90 minutes.  Yeah, I know, it's my fault for not liking the game.  It doesn't matter that it's not the game I wanted to play.

So why did I buy sins instead of steal it?  It came highly recommended from people who play different genres.  It really did sound like XXX (which happens to be Stars!) with yyy.  It was only $40.  It was the hottest selling game and I knew I could sell it outside the grocery store for $5 less than I paid for it if I didn't like it.

And how does this matter?  Frogboy probably walks around like he ate the whole bottle of Enzyte saying "gawdammit I knew it, I knew it, I knew it, In yo' FACE SONY!!" when he reads stuff like this. Talk about a forward thinking big picture guy.

Oh, wait, you noticed that's only 90% didn't you?  Yeah, I've got about 250-300 gigs of games I've not even tried yet. I've been too busy playing sins/entrenchment.  I've not played another game, except stupid flash games, since march of 2008. To be honest, I'm probably not going to get around trying them before I decide to use the drive for something else, especially since Demigod looks so good.

(Oh, so as an addendum, I did recently buy an honest copy of XP.  I had just never gotten around to it before.  So, do I steal business software? I don't know if I've registered my winrar . . . nope, I use OpenOffice (I contribute $) but I keep a stolen copy of MS Office to make sure important docs look right in PPT or Word, I have some video editing software I stole for hobby/project I haven't used in 4 years, and I had a stolen copy of quicken for four months, and then bought the newest edition.)

April 30, 2009 10:26:55 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Tridus,

Quoting Frenzyone, reply 9I honestly doesnt believe pirating is such a big issue, people who download and don´t buy the game wouldnt have bought the game anyway.

1. They can´t afford

2. They don´t like it

3.. and so on

My opinion, not facts.

4. They're cheap.

People always prefer free to not free. That's one of the most fundamental rules of economics (and human nature). For every pirate where one of those holds true, there's another one who can afford it, does like it, and pirates simply because they can get away with it.

Uh, I doubt you realize that you just equated pirates with super villains like the Joker?  They commit crimes for the purpose of getting away with it?  I like to think that's not what you meant.  Yeah, dude, I don't speed to get places faster, I do it because it's illegal.  Maybe teenagers of alcoholic mothers are like that.

April 30, 2009 10:38:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting db0,

This is still not stealing. It's a violation of an (extended) copyright law, but not stealing.

You may twist and turn it around as long as you want. Frogboy's definition of a thief is someone who plays Demigod without paying for it.

April 30, 2009 10:56:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting db0,

Quoting ZehDon, reply 8
This is called stealing.

Stealing requires someone to lose ownership, ie it's a zero-sum game. File-sharing is not.

You're simply trying to twist the meaning of a word to make an emotional argument.

yes, because the car is the ownership of then wreckers who loses it after you take it, and thus lose any profit they might make from scrap metal.

Your analogy doesn't hold.

Dude, it's totally stolen income.  You've gotten lost in the technical legalese.  You're stealing.  I will do my best to construct a more accessible scenario for you.

1. I go to a car dealership and get the VIN off of a used car in the back of the lot.  I forge the documents and have the car titled in my name. I use the title to get a new key cut.  I go back to the car dealership, start the car, drive it around to the front and use it as a trade in on a new car.  They never lost possession of the car.  They never even legally lost title to the car.

The crimes, forgery, probably some misdemeanor using falsfied documents to get the key cut, and then fraud (which is theft by deception) of the value of the trade in.

2. 250 of my closest friends and I jump the gate at Disneyland and ride the teacups all day long.  Disney paid the same electricity bill, employee wages, and gay spousal benefits that they would have whether we were paying or not.  We didn't cost them any more money.  In fact, 251 of us didn't even stand out in the crowd of thousands. 

The crimes? We stole $12,500 in admissions fees just as assuredly as if we'd taken it out of the register.

April 30, 2009 11:01:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TohKlidan,

Why just don't buy from Impulse?
Why not? I can wait.

I bought Sins also as german retail version in a store and only Entrenchment over Impulse.

Wait for what? My hint was that you can play this game right now, and save 15€.

April 30, 2009 11:10:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Farcon,

You may twist and turn it around as long as you want. Frogboy's definition of a thief is someone who plays Demigod without paying for it.

However Frogboy wants to define a "thief" it still does not make it accurate. I can say that people who don't give me a 1000$ are thieves. Does that make it so? Of couse not. But you're accepting a similar arbitrary definition and then arguing against stealing, which is wholly different than file-sharing.

Quoting Vespucci,

Dude, it's totally stolen income.  You've gotten lost in the technical legalese.  You're stealing.  I will do my best to construct a more accessible scenario for you.

To prove that it's stolen income, you need to prove that every downloaded copy is one lost sale. A claim that has been thoroughly debunked so good luck with that.

1. I go to a car dealership and get the VIN off of a used car in the back of the lot.  I forge the documents and have the car titled in my name. I use the title to get a new key cut.  I go back to the car dealership, start the car, drive it around to the front and use it as a trade in on a new car.  They never lost possession of the car.  They never even legally lost title to the car.

The crimes, forgery, probably some misdemeanor using falsfied documents to get the key cut, and then fraud (which is theft by deception) of the value of the trade in.

This is fraud, not stealing. The two are similar but different, and both are totally different from file sharing. The are significantly different because in both former cases the victim loses either a valuable possesion or money while in the later they do not lose anything but most likely gain.

2. 250 of my closest friends and I jump the gate at Disneyland and ride the teacups all day long.  Disney paid the same electricity bill, employee wages, and gay spousal benefits that they would have whether we were paying or not.  We didn't cost them any more money.  In fact, 251 of us didn't even stand out in the crowd of thousands. 

The crimes? We stole $12,500 in admissions fees just as assuredly as if we'd taken it out of the register.

That's tresspassing, not stealing. If you get caught, you won't be charged with theft but with tresspassing. Not, tresspassing is not the same as file-sharing either. It's a closer example than stealing, especially when you do nothing wrong while tresspassing and the reasons why it is punished are different than the reasons why copyright violations are punished.

April 30, 2009 11:28:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting db0,

Quoting Farcon, reply 19

However Frogboy wants to define a "thief" it still does not make it accurate. I can say that people who don't give me a 1000$ are thieves. Does that make it so? Of couse not. But you're accepting a similar arbitrary definition and then arguing against stealing, which is wholly different than file-sharing.

Quoting Vespucci, reply 20

To prove that it's stolen income, you need to prove that every downloaded copy is one lost sale. A claim that has been thoroughly debunked so good luck with that.

This is fraud, not stealing. The two are similar but different, and both are totally different from file sharing. The are significantly different because in both former cases the victim loses either a valuable possesion or money while in the later they do not lose anything but most likely gain.

That's tresspassing, not stealing. If you get caught, you won't be charged with theft but with tresspassing. Not, tresspassing is not the same as file-sharing either. It's a closer example than stealing, especially when you do nothing wrong while tresspassing and the reasons why it is punished are different than the reasons why copyright violations are punished.

Is he the kind of guy you all are moaning about so much?  I think I'm beginning to appreciate your frustration.

fraud. (n.d.). The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Retrieved April 30, 2009, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fraud

1. A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.

stealing. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Retrieved April 30, 2009, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stealing

2. to appropriate (ideas, credit, words, etc.) without right or acknowledgment.

fraud = stealing where value is involved, in this case money.

As for the trespassing, when you've done it you must not look like they can get the money from you, since if you pay the price of admission the charges mysteriously go away.

Anywho . . . what's the matter with kids these days?

April 30, 2009 11:37:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vespucci,

Uh, I doubt you realize that you just equated pirates with super villains like the Joker?  They commit crimes for the purpose of getting away with it?  I like to think that's not what you meant.  Yeah, dude, I don't speed to get places faster, I do it because it's illegal.  Maybe teenagers of alcoholic mothers are like that.

WTF? You're reaching pretty far now.

People download games because they're cheap. They want free games. There's no real punishment for it, so there's no reason for them not to.

You speed becuase you want to get places faster (you said so yourself). If you had a 100% chance of getting caught and ticketed every time you did it, you wouldn't speed as often (or you'd pay a whole lot in fines, which if you're rich is probably doable).

It's got nothing to do with super villans, I really don't know how you managed to come up with that. Pirates do what they do because they're cheapskates at heart and there's no consequences for it. People who try to justify it are just deluding themselves.

April 30, 2009 11:39:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Vespucci

First: You're picking and choosing dictionary definitions that fit your arguments. 

Second: You can easily fall into an equivocation fallacy through perfectly accurate dictionary definitions.

If you want to use dictionary definitions then first state which meaning of stealing you use and then we can discuss if it's harmful or not.

Are you using the definition of "to appropriate ideas without right or acknowledgment."? This is also called plagiarism and the harm it creates is debatable.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000031   Page Render Time: