The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Demigod #1 Concepts

Feel free to add your ideas here

By on April 27, 2009 12:40:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

These are just my ideas, feel free to add.

Name of Demigod: TBD

Type of Demigod: General

General description: More of a classic wizard. Carries a staff, wears long robes.

Abilities:

Ability 1.

1. Set totems that give friendly Demigods 20% more experience in a given area.  (level 1)
  2.  Totems  now also give friendly Demigods 20% more HP in a given area. Last 30 seconds. (level 3)
  3.  totems now also  give friendly Demigods 20% more attack damage in a given area. Lasts 30 seconds. (level 8).
  4. totelms now also give friendly demigods 20% more armor in a given area. (level 10)
Abiilty 2.
  1. Spell: Immunity. Makes friendly demigods immune from attacks for 2,3,4 seconds (depending on level).
Ability 3.
      1. Magic Missile. Sends 1,2,4,8 magic missles (depending on level) at a target area that does area damage.

Ability 5.
  1. Charm beast.  Causes 15%, 30%, 45% of enemy reinforcements to switch sides depending on level.
Ability 6.  Magic Armor. Provides 400, 800, 1200, 1600 armor depending on level.

Ability 7.  Melee Combat.  Base melee damage with staff adds 5 times level, 10 times level, 20 times level.

Ability 8. Money Purse. Provides 2, 4, 8 more gold per second to that player.
Thoughts?

+912 Karma | 292 Replies
April 27, 2009 12:47:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

sound good to me, just make sure that when someone is under the effects of spell immunity the other team can tell

April 27, 2009 12:52:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the idea of the totems, however I think you might want to scale that back to give extra xp/armor/hp/mp all at once, but do a % modifier like 5/7/10/extra perk or 15% sort of thing... otherwise it would be a little overpowered if a 20% flag and the 10% favor item is attained, I think you could see a level 10-12 wizard when everybody else is around 5-6.

It could still be useful if specialized in, as if it was a longer game I still think they would get to level 20, when others are around 16-17, which would be a fine reward for investing in it.

The immunity might be too much like the Oaks ability, perhaps do something along the lines of disabling an enemy hero like a polymorph/sleep where any damage removes the effect? Great run away/DG control tool!

Rather than an AOE ability, how about a drain mana ability? Unless I'm mistaken we don't have any DG's that employ that sort of attack just yet. Perhaps the mana drained could be distributed to friendly DG's in a certain range of the caster, or cause something like +25%/+35%/+45%/+55% mana regen for "15~" seconds to friendly teammates within a certain radius... has a lot of potential!

Magic armor seems good.

Melee combat could work as well - kind of a melee support wizard idea, I'm guessing your just throwing whatever numbers out, but 20 times level sounds like you would have him hitting for 750+ with a few attack items, I'm guessing that could be more like 2x, 4x, 6x, 10x?

Money purse might be a little weak of an ability, as you would sacrifice alot of utility to get it right at the start, perhaps if it was closer to 4/6/10? You might have players who go pure support role with this DG, and invest alot in the citadel, with the extra income they could buy the additional gold/xp upgrades for the team. I think several more 'pure' support DG's would be a great addition for team games.

April 27, 2009 12:53:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice, i like the gold earning skill

April 27, 2009 12:54:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

great idea! charm beast could be a very AWSOME ability although i think pathing isses would be the biggest hurdle for that one to work

I would assume with the wizard being a general his minions would be attained though charm beast? it could be made so the enemy reinforcment, affected by charm, are only converted for 10 seconds then explode exposing ooze creatures which would be his minions

April 27, 2009 12:57:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like this.  I love the idea of a nuker/support mage.  I am a HUGE fan of casters in RPG-type games, so this is very appealing to me. 

"Abiilty 2.
  1. Spell: Immunity. Makes friendly demigods immune from attacks for 2,3,4 seconds (depending on level)."

So, this is basically like Oak's invulnerability shield, correct?  I imagine that this also means, if this skill is included, that this Demigod would HAVE to go to the Dark Forces since it'd be kind of overpowerd if the Light Forces had two Demigods who could both cast invulnerability on allies. 

April 27, 2009 12:59:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Magic Missile?

Yeah, that ability needs an other name.

I think the money purse could be a bit OP, for example when two people in a 5vs5 match choose the wizard and help their team to get all the citadel upgrades early.

The immunity ability is a bit boring, IMO. How about invisibility or something like that?

April 27, 2009 1:02:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I like the totem idea, but instead of totems what about orbs of some kind? This is a, concept, wizard and all. Tread the bonus exp carefully though. You already have exp upgrades at the citadel. Instead of Charm beast causing enemy troops to switch team sides. What if instead the ability would boost nearby portal minions. Like some kind of aura. Oh and what happened to ability 4?

Hell I'm just gonna throw this out there. Make it a woman. We already have 6 men. Then again... What is Unclean Beast?

April 27, 2009 1:02:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like that one.

I'd like to see one with a combo of mobility, invis, illusion and mana draining. Just to keep the enemy on their toes.

April 27, 2009 1:03:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont think that a mage as you described will work in the story line. He will be to human and not a God class.

We need a abrobatic speedser like a monkey King.

April 27, 2009 1:04:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

immunity is too much. the totems + magic armor already increase the survivability. instead a crowd control/disable ability would suit better.

April 27, 2009 1:05:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like the effects of the last 3 buffs for ability 1, however I don't like the 20% more exp. It's a huge gain, especially if you factor in the flag cap and a favor item, and combined with ability 8 and citadel upgrades, it all but guarantees that the Demigod would be able to get good equipment and his team be high level much earlier.

Exp is a very important "stat" in that a single point into an ability can make a big difference, so I don't think an xp bonus should be given out as a team-wide ability.

Ability 7 doesn't reall fit with a wizard archetype. When do you see wizards in melee bashing things with their staves? (Gandalf in Return of the King doesn't count, that was stupid and never happened in the real story - book). If you're going to give him melee stuff, it's not really a classic wizard but more of a battlemage, which would focus on powerful short ranged attacks.

Magic Armor then becomes a little boring. Decrease the armor bonus, but change the ability to be a "blade shield" type of thing. Spinning blades around him do increase his armor a bit, but they also damage anything in close range. Higher ranks add more blades. Alternatively make these blades his unique minions, and increasing ranks increases their dodge rating and damage. If that's the case, Magic Armor should be something that discourages things from beating up on him. Returns a % of the damage, up to an x damage returned, going up by ranks.

More later..

April 27, 2009 1:06:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Name of Demigod: Tactician

General description: General focused on building structures to give tactical advantages to the battlefield

Abilities:

Ability 1.

1. Walls - give ability to law down wall that can funnel/block creep/demigod advancement.  Start out weak
  2. Walls have more HP and take more damage (level 3)
  3. Walls have even more HP
  4. Walls have even more HP and are equiped with spikes, which cause damage to any unit that attacks it (not against ranged units, though)
Abiilty 2.
  1. Fortify - buffs any structure for a duration improving its health and damage resistance (offensive structures with fortify buff give the Tactician partial credit (gold/xp) for creep/dg kills).
  2. More health and DR, and improves attack speed (if it's a tower or other offensive structure)
  3. More health and DR, and now improves tagets damage (if it's a tower or other offensive structure)
Ability 3.
      1. Turret - Constructs a non-moveable turret that attacks targets.  Can be buffed by ability #2
      2.  More skills into it more health/dr/damage/attack speed

Ability 5.
  1. Entrench - the demigod gives off an aura so that any unit in it's radius is given a defensive bonus, although also causes a small run speed debuff
  2. Additional levels in this ability improves defensive bonus, and reduces run speed penalty
Ability 6.

1.  Assualt - the demigod gives off an aura so that any unit in it's radius is given a damage and run speed bonus, but also causes the units to have reduced defense.
      2.  Additional levels could inprove damage/run speed and reduce the defense penalty

Ability 7.

1.  Flag Lock - Builds a structure on top of a flag that causes it to not be able to be capped by the other team.  The structure must be destroyed prior to capturing that flag again

Ability 8.

1.  Reinforcements - the tactician calls in for reinforcements, which is a 4-8 creeps.  These reinforcements are temporary
      2.  Improves the duration and damage of the creeps
      3.  Grants 2 additional creeps, which are priest
      4.  Grants 2 additional creeps, which are siege creeps

I dunno, all I can think of for now

April 27, 2009 1:13:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And I agree with other posters, invulnerability is meh. Replace it with something a little more fun - blink, invisibility, etc.

April 27, 2009 1:18:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Oh and I also want to add take your time with new concepts. I love how each original demigod is solid in their own unique way. Not saying you won't use any R&D, but I believe this game has a huge potential to stand above the crowd.

And yes, I know this is only a blueprint concept.

April 27, 2009 1:18:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'd really like to see a tinkerer type demigod to contrast with all the fantastical magic that the other demigods are putting out. The character would be so enamored with technology and machinery it'd rise to godlike status, similar to how Batman is a super hero despite the fact he doesn't have any special powers. 

April 27, 2009 1:19:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Renevent,

General description: General focused on building structures to give tactical advantages to the battlefield

Abilities:

Ability 1.

Walls - give ability to law down wall that can funnel/block creep/demigod advancement.  Start out weak
Walls have more HP and take more damage (level 3)
Walls have even more HP
Walls have even more HP and are equiped with spikes, which cause damage to any unit that attacks it (not against ranged units, though)

Abiilty 2.

Fortify - buffs any structure for a duration improving its health and damage resistance (offensive structures with fortify buff give the Tactician partial credit (gold/xp) for creep/dg kills).

More health and DR, and improves attack speed (if it's a tower or other offensive structure)
More health and DR, and now improves tagets damage (if it's a tower or other offensive structure)
Ability 3.
      1. Turret - Constructs a non-moveable turret that attacks targets.  Can be buffed by ability #2
      2.  More skills into it more health/dr/damage/attack speed

Ability 5.

Entrench - the demigod gives off an aura so that any unit in it's radius is given a defensive bonus, although also causes a small run speed debuff

Additional levels in this ability improves defensive bonus, and reduces run speed penalty
Ability 6.

1.  Assualt - the demigod gives off an aura so that any unit in it's radius is given a damage and run speed bonus, but also causes the units to have reduced defense.
      2.  Additional levels could inprove damage/run speed and reduce the defense penalty

I dunno, all I can think of for now

That is actually a very nice idea!

+_+

As for Frogboy's idea:

The Charm beast sounds INSANELY POWERFUL! Think aobut using it when reinforcments are at their best...sort of like enemies converging on your citadel..one cast and BOOM 100+ minions for you

Magic Missile.......I see whre you get your references now

April 27, 2009 1:22:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Lost_WLd,
I'd really like to see a tinkerer type demigod to contrast with all the fantastical magic that the other demigods are putting out. The character would be so enamored with technology and machinery it'd rise to godlike status, similar to how Batman is a super hero despite the fact he doesn't have any special powers. 

Hmm, there should totally be a steampunk Demigod! Clockwork things as his minions, with gears and rivets flying every which way when they're destroyed.

April 27, 2009 1:25:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Magic Missile.......I see whre you get your references now

Which is the challenge in coming up with a varied mage type guy. D&D has so many spells that pretty much anything you might think of is there. Magic Missile is pretty obvious, but Mordenkainen's Sword, not so much. There was also a spell that created I think 7 spheres around you, and you could expend the sheres at will that each did a different effect.. I wanted to look up the stats on that spell, but I forgot the name.

April 27, 2009 1:29:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry for repeated posts, but here's a fun idea for an abiilty - Cancel enemy buffs. For x seconds, no buffs can be applied to the target Demigod, and all existing buffs are suppressed (this includes "active" buffs like health regen, but not passive ones like +hp/armor/attack speed). Oaks won't get their spirit damage bonus. Rook won't get his Divine weapon damage bonus, Sedna will lose her heal aura.. stuff like that.

April 27, 2009 1:39:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Instead of immunity (already in game), give him either the ability to recall an ally to him (additional ranks decrease cooldown/cast time?) or the ability to teleport to a friendly structure (further points decrease cd/cast time/manacost, until its on par with either favor item or scroll.)

Personally I'm leaning more towards the recall ally ability, it would synergise nicely with ability 1.  Not sure if replacing ability 7 with a disable would make him over powered.

April 27, 2009 1:39:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd like to see the magic missle have user selected targeting.  By that I mean have left click fire x number of missles at x number of targets in the area; have right click fire all x missles at same target.  That way it's useful for both creep and DGs.  I agree with invunerability belonging to Oak but I propose you replace it with teleport (similar to scroll & items) with a very long initial cool down that is reduced with level.  You could have the teleport level also reduce the activation time to further differenciate it from the items.

April 27, 2009 1:43:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This will never happen to hard to balance and from the first day of the beta players have been told no RTS building.

Plus what happened to the Deimgod that are built and in the code from GPG? (Occulus that the beta players was to have day 0)

April 27, 2009 1:43:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

magic armor and spell immunity both seem to copy other demigods little to much

maybe magic armor could reflect damage back but only be half as strong, think that would be a pretty cool ability

spell immunity could maybe also drain mana or deal mana damage but also be less effective

April 27, 2009 1:46:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally I'm leaning more towards the recall ally ability

This would be way open to abuse by team griefers, though, so it's a bad idea.

April 27, 2009 1:48:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lprometheus,

This will never happen to hard to balance and from the first day of the beta players have been told now RTS building.

That really isn't "RTS building", and is pretty similar to the Rook setting up towers anyways...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.