The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Day 1 Status Report

By on April 15, 2009 11:32:44 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

I broke my 56 hour day this morning and took a nap before coming back.  One of the nice features of Stardock is that it has developers in the US and in Europe so we can, technically, work on things around the clock if necessary which is something we’re taking advantage right now.

So where are we at?

Today

The system works pretty well if you have a few thousand people online at once.  The system works…less well if there are tens of thousands of people online at once. And if there are over 100,000 people, well, you get horrific results such as the game being incredibly unresponsive due to simple web service calls that were considered pretty benign during the beta that suddenly start to bring down firewalls and such due to the sheer massive number of calls that are being made.

Sadly, most of the ~120,000 connections are not customers but via warez.  About 18,000 are legitimate.  So anyway, we spent a lot of time today  trying to isolate out the warez users from the legitimate users (it would require a lot of surgery to actually break them and even if we did, there’d be no friendly “ha ha pirate” message which would result in people just saying the game is buggy).  Mind you, the game makes relatively few server calls, it’s just the sheer number of people.

Our stress tests had counted on having maybe 50,000 people playing at once at peak and that wouldn’t be reached for a few weeks by which time we would have slowly seen things becoming problematic.  With Sins of a Solar Empire, the game was incredibly successful but its user base grew slowly and steadily over time.  Sometimes on a peak time the server would start to get slow and we would adjust so that it would be better next time.

But here, when you’re getting that many connections at once, you’re no longer talking about dealing with the basics like having a good SAN and lots of redundant servers. You instead fall into all kinds of weird secondary issues that start to pop up like yesterday’s case where an older network card couldn’t handle all the packets (not bandwidth limited but # of tiny packets being sent out at once).  

So during the day today, people couldn’t even logon and in some cases, the Demigod forums, which use one of the affected databases for some piddly thing were even down. Even getting the game running was a pain today because a simple HTTP call to see what the latest version would get hung leaving people looking at a black screen. Stuff of nightmares.

Before the game shipped, I wrote a scary email to our team saying how disastrous things would be and predicted doom for us and GPG if there were problems with multiplayer. At the time, my worry was about things like disconnects and CVP. It didn’t occur to me that we’d have near MMO user connections to throw in.

Tonight

Last night and all day today we’ve been working on multiple fronts. 

First, we’ve been trying to shuttle off the warez users so that they’re not slamming our servers. Well, not slamming the same servers that legitimate customers are using.  I’m feeling pretty confident that that is working better because there’s a lot more people in games with lots of people in them.

Second, we’ve developed a new connection system (pictured below).  The connection stuff in Demigod is not part of Demigod but is rather part of Impulse Reactor which in turn is talking to the various connection servers we have set up to get player A to connect to player B and so on.  It’s not done yet but amongst its new features is the ability for the host to eject players who just can’t connect.

This whole new connection service has been written in the past 48 hours.

Third, we’ve greatly expanded our capacity.  I tell you, anyone who wants to know why we delayed Society (MMO RTS we are slowly working on) need look no further than how painful the first 24 hours since the official release of Demigod have been. That was done today and hopefully users have noticed an improvement.

We’re in the process of testing out this new update to put up tonight (less than 24 hours after the street date) that should largely fix this.

Early reviews

The early reviews of Demigod have been very good – in general.

Neoseeker gave us a 10 out of 10.

Crispy Gamer gave us a “Buy It”

But the GameSpot review nailed us because of the connectivity with a 6.5. I’m pretty disappointed about that. [Begin Rant] First, I totally understand that connectivity is central to a game like this. I totally agree. But I think that should be weighted with what the average user who gets Demigod will experience and in reality, as annoying as this issue is, it’s not something that’s going to be an ongoing issue, it’s something that is likely to be taken care of in the next day or two.  So this time next week, players will be happily playing but GameSpot’s review will live on.  I suppose the solution going forward isn’t to send out review copies until the game is released and we make sure there’s no network issues. Afterall, in a week from now, the guy buying it from retail will have a great experience. [End Rant]

The IGN and 1Up reviews are coming up.  So we could be looking at a lot of reviews like that if every reviewer decides to take the same approach Gamespot did which I hope they don’t (luckily for every other on-line centric game that’s had a rough first day or two most reviewers haven’t taken Gamespot’s approach).

Video

We took a video about some of the stuff we’re working on and a little quick tour of Stardock. You can see it here:

IGN Video

Locked Post 82 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 16, 2009 9:37:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

But the GameSpot review nailed us because of the connectivity with a 6.5. I’m pretty disappointed about that. [Begin Rant] First, I totally understand that connectivity is central to a game like this. I totally agree. But I think that should be weighted with what the average user who gets Demigod will experience and in reality, as annoying as this issue is, it’s not something that’s going to be an ongoing issue, it’s something that is likely to be taken care of in the next day or two.  So this time next week, players will be happily playing but GameSpot’s review will live on.  I suppose the solution going forward isn’t to send out review copies until the game is released and we make sure there’s no network issues. Afterall, in a week from now, the guy buying it from retail will have a great experience. [End Rant]

I and several other people advocated for the release date to be pushed back to solve this issue among others. All I can say is I told you so.

April 17, 2009 3:53:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I and several other people advocated for the release date to be pushed back to solve this issue among others. All I can say is I told you so.

Would a pushed back release date have changed something since the retail version was checking for update as soon as the game was launched ?

April 17, 2009 3:56:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If having a more polished experience is so important to you then just put the game down for a month and play it later.

April 17, 2009 5:02:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

(Please fix the quote button, it quest random things)

Quoting Peach Phoenix,
Would a pushed back release date have changed something since the retail version was checking for update as soon as the game was launched ?

Who's fault for making a retail version before having finished and polished the game? Not pirates.

[quote who=Tamren]If having a more polished experience is so important to you then just put the game down for a month and play it later.[/quote]

Why SD and GPG should get "polished" money right now if the polished game come out later? People pay for things done right, people support and have faith for those things.

April 17, 2009 6:35:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GPG / SD knows about the piracy problems around the internet. The question is ..

Why they don´t release a demo (or full client - activated later with key like burnout paradise for example)?

Why they don´t have a network like relic or blizzard (key are bound on account)?

April 17, 2009 7:09:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why they don´t have a network like relic or blizzard (key are bound on account)?

They have. The problem is that the retail version of the game checsk for update as soon as it starts instead of after having successfully logged.

April 17, 2009 10:16:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why the cd key isn't use for connecting to an online MP? It's allready there for registering the game and getting updates, so why not for online play? What happend was a really hard blow for the game, imo...Now people think the game is buggy and won't buy it (at least for now); Gamespot review trashed the game because of this; and all the rest of the publishers now will rethink their strategy for the need of a strong DRM. Really bad stuff.

Oh, and not releasing a demo for it was a baaad marketing decision, especially for this type of game.

ps: if i were you, i would try and have some sort of dialog with the Gamespot editors and explain the situation, maybe they will change their score. For a game without a demo, review scores are really important for some people.

April 17, 2009 10:35:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Aside from beta testing, how do you release a demo for a game like this? Limit the number of demigods? The number of features available? The point of a demo is to have people experience a limited but satisfying portion of a game and entice them to purchase it for full. Since this is a multiplayer driven game, can you imagine the server being bogged down by hundreds of thousands of demo players? Or if SD were to release a demo that is strictly single player, then how will they make people realize the fun of the multiplayer, which happens to be the core of the game?

April 17, 2009 10:38:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why the cd key isn't use for connecting to an online MP? It's allready there for registering the game and getting updates, so why not for online play?

It is the case. The problem is that the game connects to Stardock servers BEFORE you can choose what kind of game you want to play.

April 17, 2009 10:59:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ohh . I see now. Thanks for clarifyng that to me. I understand that a patch was issued to correct this, right? Too bad the harm was done allready...

About the demo, they could have build one, with just 1 map and 2 or 3 demigods, for skirmish mode only. It's still better than none.

April 17, 2009 11:01:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

(Please fix the quote button, it quest random things)

It quotes whatever you have selected on the screen, not 'random things'.  Try highlighting a portion of the text then hitting quote... that's what get's quoted.  (Note:  If you highlight something on a different post than the one the quote button belongs to, Ugly Things happen.

Gamespot review trashed the game because of this;

I don't know about others, but I haven't paid attention to Gamespot in... a long time.  They've died, and all that's left is a rotting corpse of a zombie that refuses to admit it.

April 17, 2009 11:07:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Warez does not have a key and cannot connect to Internet play on your authentication server. And unless you are monitoring Hamachi, I don't see how you came up with those numbers, it's really fishy.

But yeah, if you hadn't tried to sell Demigod 40$+, but 20-25$, you'd see a lot more people buying it. Your game just does not offer enough for the price compared to something like Battleforge, DoW 2, Empire: Total War or even Warcraft 3 and its mods.

April 17, 2009 11:07:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I understand that a patch was issued to correct this, right?

Yes. But pirate copies won't be updated since only legit customers can update ....

April 17, 2009 11:10:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Warez does not have a key and cannot connect to Internet play on your authentication server.

Have you read what I have posted?

The problem is that the game connects to Stardock servers BEFORE you can choose what kind of game you want to play.

The warez can't play on Pantheon. But their copies connect to Stardock servers when launched to see if an update is available.

And unless you are monitoring Hamachi, I don't see how you came up with those numbers, it's really fishy.

No need to monitoring Hamachi: the game just calls home when starting to check if update are available.

April 17, 2009 11:38:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

About the demo, they could have build one, with just 1 map and 2 or 3 demigods, for skirmish mode only. It's still better than none.
A demo will be available soon. Time that would have been spent on a demo was used for improving the game for known buyers.

People that are not sure if they are going to like the game and are waitign for a demo can wait a bit longer with little risk. In the end, those that get a demo a month later based on optimised code (lessons learned from launch) may have a better experience and be more likely to purchase. 

Life is not always about first day sales.

April 17, 2009 11:52:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

About the demo, they could have build one, with just 1 map and 2 or 3 demigods, for skirmish mode only. It's still better than none.A demo will be available soon. Time that would have been spent on a demo was used for improving the game for known buyers.

People that are not sure if they are going to like the game and are waitign for a demo can wait a bit longer with little risk. In the end, those that get a demo a month later based on optimised code (lessons learned from launch) may have a better experience and be more likely to purchase. 

Life is not always about first day sales.

And for that we are eternally gratefull!!! GETTING DEMIGOD TODAY !!!!!!!!! HOPE THE STORE HAS IT!!!! BANZAI!!!!

Quoting RamzaBehoulve,
Warez does not have a key and cannot connect to Internet play on your authentication server. And unless you are monitoring Hamachi, I don't see how you came up with those numbers, it's really fishy.

But yeah, if you hadn't tried to sell Demigod 40$+, but 20-25$, you'd see a lot more people buying it. Your game just does not offer enough for the price compared to something like Battleforge, DoW 2, Empire: Total War or even Warcraft 3 and its mods.

Demigod IS SO WORTH ITS PRICE! Look how refined it is! I'll agree that Empire: Total War IS PHENOMENAL but come on no comparing with Battleforge and DoW2! Tose games were HORRIBLE! Waste of money (DoW 2 is SOOO repetitive and the maps are always the same!)

You wanna know how to win without a problem! Get Cyrus leveled up give him max infiltration and sniper shots give him the Vehicule Demo Pack and som healing as accesories and BANZAI! Unstoppable!

LOL was huge letdown, the final boss was dead in less than 10 secs and all my guys at full health...

April 17, 2009 11:53:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does anyone even pay attention to GameSpot anymore?  They've been completely irrelevant since they fired Jeff for a bad review, and actually were going that route long before then.

April 17, 2009 12:47:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

www.jeuxvideo.com (a french site) rated Demigod 14/20.

Sh..tty test (as always and as Gamespot's test.)

According to JVC, Demigod's negative points:

- Repetitive (Lasting appeal: 10/20, lol)

- No tutorial

- Only 8 Demigods and 8 map

- Only a DOTA copy

- Online issues... Like Gamespot 

Conclusion:

With Demigod, GPG insures the minimum: a sweet DOTA clone who success in distancing itself of DOTA, with its own personnality. But everything is not that nice. Chris Taylor's baby from his lack of content, and overall a huge lack of finish regarding online. It's infuriating. Demigod could be a great game, but it only a correct game.

April 17, 2009 2:34:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ouch! Next time check out our content security product, Global Garde. (2geeksinalab.com) This problem would have never occurred and would work with your GOO without any issues (digital download or retail). Great game guys, keep it up!

April 17, 2009 4:56:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Peace Phoenix,

Even with the update Demigod still has a shitty netcode. Pushing the date back a month or two would of FIXED that problem. I have a feeling this game is going to die in a hurry because of user frustration due to the poor netcode and the bad scores from places like gamespot.

April 17, 2009 5:18:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Even with the update Demigod still has a shitty netcode. Pushing the date back a month or two would of FIXED that problem.

But before correcting a problem, one must be aware that it exists in the first place. I am totally unsure that pushing the release date by one or 2 month would have ended with THAT bug spotted. After all, it is the sheer amount of connexions, especially with copies that couldn't have an account, that has put in light this problem.

April 17, 2009 8:51:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For what it is worth I was planning on jumping into the game on release but when I found out about the screwup on the release date I figured there would be issues with the server rollout so I opted not to add to the problem. I know it is not much but it is the thought that counts.

I hope is going well now and I wish the best for the game and the developers.

April 17, 2009 9:06:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Peace Phoenix,

Even with the update Demigod still has a shitty netcode. Pushing the date back a month or two would of FIXED that problem.

But before correcting a problem, one must be aware that it exists in the first place. I am totally unsure that pushing the release date by one or 2 month would have ended with THAT bug spotted. After all, it is the sheer amount of connexions, especially with copies that couldn't have an account, that has put in light this problem.

They were perfectly aware with everything that was wrong but the overflow of people that were going to connect to demigod and give the code issues. Why are you defending them anyway?

April 18, 2009 5:39:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They were perfectly aware with everything that was wrong

Were they aware that HTTP calls during starting the game were a problem since it was perfectly normal (and required) for the whole beta period ?

Why are you defending them anyway?

I am not defending them. Just arguing that even if release date was pushed back, that wouldn't have mean that the problem about HTTP calls on startup would have been fixed since it wasn't in their TODO / bug fixes list.

April 18, 2009 3:05:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting smashforce,
www.jeuxvideo.com (a french site) rated Demigod 14/20.

Sh..tty test (as always and as Gamespot's test.)

According to JVC, Demigod's negative points:

- Repetitive (Lasting appeal: 10/20, lol)

- No tutorial

- Only 8 Demigods and 8 map

- Only a DOTA copy

- Online issues... Like Gamespot 

Conclusion:

With Demigod, GPG insures the minimum: a sweet DOTA clone who success in distancing itself of DOTA, with its own personnality. But everything is not that nice. Chris Taylor's baby from his lack of content, and overall a huge lack of finish regarding online. It's infuriating. Demigod could be a great game, but it only a correct game.

Well you can't say that is not true. Actually the game should be the demo.

I don't agree with people who says it's refined and polished.

I think it's fair to wait for people to have a demo to try it out, I myself now tell people I know to wait for a demo, I have to make their interest too.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.