The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Your First PC Game

By on April 3, 2009 11:22:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi! everyone, I have a simple question, what was the first PC game that you have played and loved?

For me it was Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty.

It was way back in 1993 (cant believe its been already 16 years) on my IBM 486 with all 4MB of ram. Since that time I have played over a 100 PC games, but I was wondering what was other people's gaming debut. Feel free to elaborate on the subject (what year, at home, at a friend, how much you paid).

+8 Karma | 231 Replies
April 3, 2009 11:35:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Does Apple count?

In order of time:

1. Hi-res Breakout (1978-ish)
  2. Lemonade Stand (1979-ish)
  3. Odyssey The Complete Apventure (1980)
  4. Zork (1980)
  5. Olympic Decatholon (1981)
  6. Taipan (1982)

On the PC:

1. Tetris
  2. The X-Wing series
  3. THe Dark Forces serie

Thanks for making me feel old.

April 3, 2009 11:44:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

First game playing?

The Oregon Trail.

Here lies Rob.  "Life Sucks"

First game buying?

Codename Iceman + hint guide with supid red plastic answer filter.

April 3, 2009 11:47:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Umm probably a fairy tale thing. I don't remember

I do remember the point and click adventures like Spy Fox and Pajama Sam and Putt Putt and Fredy the Fish.

I'd say my first real computer game was either the Sims or X-Wing Alliance. Or something before those two that I forgot about.

Funny how I look back on those two games and I hate the sims (as a series) but I still love XWA

April 3, 2009 11:59:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Age of Empires, first pc game and rts.  Some of my early ones were Total Annihilation, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Sim City 2000, and Tie Fighter.

April 4, 2009 12:01:09 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I will say xwing the first one I played... First buy... Age of Empires, Star Wars Rebellion, then Half Life, Starcraft 2, Homeworld and Deus Ex... ya then it just exploded from then on...

April 4, 2009 12:10:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

First PC game... probably Solitaire. First that I remember: Command and Conquer: Red Alert.

April 4, 2009 12:50:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have played so damn many I can't recall where it all began. But I know for a fact that my first was dos based.

Quoting Zubaz,
Thanks for making me feel old.

Me too. Every now and then I drop the name of a really old game and no one knows what the hell I'm talking about! THAT makes me feel old. It doesn't matter how *old* the games are, its how obscure.

I remember playing a screensaver game called "killer crayon" on my dads 386. Then came a number of other DOS games that I can barely remember. Then came Kid Pix. There was some wacko game about recycling where this dinosaur roams around collecting parts to build a spaceship, eventually bartering for a bag of raked up leaves to recycle as fuel. Then came a game about a stuffed bear who came to life when his owner was sleeping. I think you had to bake her a cake or something, that game was great.

Then we got a 486 and my game library got a lot bigger, Jaz jackrabbit. One must fall. Xargon, Solar Winds, all through dos. X-wing, TIE fighter, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Tyrian 2000 even super solver game you could mention. Also that one with a submarine that shot ink torpedoes and was recovering parts of a crashed spaceship. Then Ancient Empires which was basically super solvers in egypt, with laser guns. Duke Nukem and Doom when the parents weren't watching... Hexplore. XCOM. Hyper 3d pinball...Oh right, incredible machine! Dark forces 1 I beat, but I never did dark forces 2. All those awesome Dr. BRain games. Pitfall and Earthworm Jim fit somewhere in there. Outpost 1 and 2.

Somewhere after that we got a new computer, this time a pentium 333. The Exile trilogy, mechwarrior 3... Hell even 10six, NONE of you know what that game is without google I guarantee you. Now I'm really starting to get the dates muddled up...

Oh! I know, if I were to pick from all the games windows 95 and previous it would be an even tossup between Timone and Pumbaa's Jungle games and The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis.

--

Heh that brings back memories. I guarantee you there are at least another 200 I can't recall off the top of my head. Battlezone 1, Deathtrap Dungeon, Army men (the original!),  Command and Conquer, Screamer racing (its on GoG), Master of magic, Master of Orion 1 (never got around to 2), Hyper 3d pinball, I think there was a Zork game in there somewhere.

Some sort of RTS jurassic park game, countless "edutainment" games I can't remember the name of. Lode runner, Dune 2000, Oddworld, Worms, Hellbender, Fury 3, Simcity (black and white on mac!), Sim ant and other sim games. Space hulk.....

April 4, 2009 1:04:11 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have you all beat here.

Mid to late 70's, my dad bought the home version of pong. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong

I was a portable console you plugged into your tv, and essentially played ping pong on it, there was two dials on it, one for each side playing.  At the time, something like that was on the cutting edge of what you could do at home.  I remember staying up and playing almost all night with my older sister. 

After that, maybe a few years, my dad bought his first computer.  It was an AT&T 6400.  It booted from a floppy drive, it was way pre-386.  One night my dad got ahold of MS Flight simulator 1.01.  I flew the heck out of that thing, and one time I figured if I took off from Chicago, flew in a general area, I would eventually reach New York.  I took off, and 4 hours later I landed in NY.  One time, I flew my plane in between the WTC towers, it was so narrow, I had to turn my plane on its side as I passed between them, and it worked.

Of course I had the Atari 2600's, then moved on to the 5200, then the 7800 as a kid.

April 4, 2009 1:12:07 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The first real game I played was probably Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, if my memory is correct. Before that I played this educational game, but that doesn't count.

April 4, 2009 1:13:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. I spent days and weeks with one friend sit on a 386 trying to design our own crazy adventures. That game and itslevel editor were simply amazing

April 4, 2009 1:43:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Omitting any educational games (IE, Oregon Trail, even tho that game ROCKS)

1. Command and Conquer: TIberian Sun

1.5: Firestorm Expansion

2. Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2

2.5: Yuri's Revenge expansion'

3. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morriwnd (Greatest Game of All time in my Book)

3.5 Tribunal and Bloodmoon Expansions.

4. Final Fantasy XI Online. (And still play to this day, sadly lol)

April 4, 2009 1:43:46 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The earliest I can clearly remember was King's Quest and Swashbuckler on Apple, and the original Space Quest on PC. Funnily enough it was years later that I actually owned my first PC game (Master of Magic), until then I played on friends' computers, my uncle's computer, and school computers.

April 4, 2009 1:48:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Of course I had the Atari 2600's, then moved on to the 5200, then the 7800 as a kid.

I still have my 7800 (my 2600 is gone, sadly), along with a sizable pile of old 2600 games (backward compatibility is our friend).

April 4, 2009 1:56:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Had an Atari 7800 as well.

First computer game though was Subbattle simulator.

First game bought was Wing Commander

April 4, 2009 2:02:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The first "game" I played was a custom-written game on a Goupil computer. It was a very basic cat&mouse game. You controlled the mouse (a square of pixels) and had to get away from the cat (a bigger square of pixels) and eat as much cheese as possible (a huge square of pixels...). It ran on that thing. We still have one of those somewhere at my parent's home (and last time I tried to boot it - from a 5¼ floppy - it was still working!). Ah, those green monochrome screens...

The second (and real one) was Castle Adventure on a 286 (you had to park the drive before moving it...). I spend long summer nights on that one. The computer was from my father job at the University, and he only got it home during summer vacation.

I feel old too now (but not as much as Zubaz ).

April 4, 2009 2:05:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The first game I can recall buying for PC was Baldur's Gate. There's nothing like little kobolds exploding into chunks to get you hooked on PC gaming... 

April 4, 2009 2:12:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vulturev4,
Mid to late 70's, my dad bought the home version of pong. 

Ah! I remember that, played it once at electronics summer camp.

April 4, 2009 2:13:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Eyes of beholder.  Wow I miss those dark age days when computers were slow.

April 4, 2009 2:46:31 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I was on C64 then Amiga's for a long time and there were so many games.

I guess the Original Test Drive, or Shadow of the Beast. Maybe Slap fighter...Don't relly recall the first games TBQH.

Street Rod maybe??

First PC game was in 01 and it might have been Black and White, or Age of Empires...Civ II maybe.

April 4, 2009 2:54:50 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

First PC game that I played extensively (we had it on the computers back in elementary school):  Oregon Trail.

First PC game that I *purchased* and played extensively: Command & Conquer Red Alert (the first one). 

April 4, 2009 2:56:18 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hi! everyone, I have a simple question, what was the first PC game that you have played and loved?

For me it was Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty.

It was way back in 1993 (cant believe its been already 16 years) on my IBM 486 with all 4MB of ram. Since that time I have played over a 100 PC games, but I was wondering what was other people's gaming debut. Feel free to elaborate on the subject (what year, at home, at a friend, how much you paid).

That would have been, Autosketch.

Back then, it was a game to me. Go figure.

Wow, but that brings back memories. Go back 5 or 7 or more years.

My boss at Magic Pan had just gotten a bit angry at a slow response from her computer, and literally threw the computer across the room into a wall.

I asked her if I could have the dead hulk, and it began. My days of PC gaming.

It was an 8086 based machine, with a 20MB hard drive the size of 2 stacked DVD drives and 640k of RAM. The drive was dead from the impact, which gave me cause to open it up and look inside (how many of you youngsters have actually seen the inner workings of a hard drive?). I got my first look at a drive with actual physical platter damage due to an impact.

I repaired the computer and got it running again, but was unable to use the program I wished to use most - Autosketch 2.0, by Autodesk - a 2D CAD program. So a brand spanking new MB that used the (amost) latest 286 CPU, and a memory upgrade, let me play my 'game'.

We are lucky these days. Back then a simple change of one of many BIOS settings would hose the hard drive or motherboard, leaving the computer nothing more than an expensive paperweight. If you came in at the early 486 level, the worst thing you could have done would be to install the CPU incorrectly (like 180 degrees reversed, because the pins were not keyed in those days), thus frying it with the first power-on.

But then, everything with computers back then was a game, and a gamble. Win or lose though - you always learned something.

My first actual "game" game? Sim City 2000.

April 4, 2009 3:01:42 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hey, the question is PC games...

Tim Wisseman's VGA Planets-3 in '92 - still have the floppy.

Soon after Everett Kaser's Sherlock-2.

But, as long as everyone above went off to different Hardwares;

In 1982 and for about the next 10 years worth of coding, i had the TI/99-4A and a whole bunch of modules for it... even compiled three games with eXtended-Basic & AssemblyCode; HoneyBees!, Chexx & Psyclon.

In 1986/87 during my College Degree i got to drive a few golf balls with MS-Golf in all its glory Green/Black in between Cobol_Pascal_Lotus123_DBase exams. For my final 'promotion' project as programmer-analyst i coded the Hexagonal chess game based on Chexx above.

The rest, as they say, is history.

April 4, 2009 4:43:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

First I played: Larry 3, the scene at the beach where Larry removes the crabs from you know where still makes me laugh. Was it released somewhere near 1995, not sure.

First I owned: Dune 2000, a dune themed rts with the gameplay mechanics of CnC games. Released in 1998 I think.

April 4, 2009 5:09:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My first real pc game was called "Ladder". It came bundled on a floppy disc that came with my brand new KayproII. http://oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html

http://ostermillar.org//ladder/

April 4, 2009 5:38:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

At School (got me started)

Oregon Trail

Number Munchers

There was another one that i can't remember, i think it was math related and you grew a plant

At Home (got me hooked)

Legend of Kyrandia

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.