The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Your First PC Game

By on April 3, 2009 11:22:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hi! everyone, I have a simple question, what was the first PC game that you have played and loved?

For me it was Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty.

It was way back in 1993 (cant believe its been already 16 years) on my IBM 486 with all 4MB of ram. Since that time I have played over a 100 PC games, but I was wondering what was other people's gaming debut. Feel free to elaborate on the subject (what year, at home, at a friend, how much you paid).

+8 Karma | 231 Replies
April 4, 2009 4:20:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Been playing since before I can remember...

First purchased was either Simcity 3000 or Empire Earth, can't remember which.

April 4, 2009 5:43:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I just got around to reading ALL the posts, very interesting. Its incredible to think that those early games changed our lives forever. I'm willing to bet that no one could have forseen that we would still be gaming 15+ years later. Imagine if any of you had never played that very first game, you could be living a very different lives right now (we'll never know!). There are moments in our lives that are more significant then we can image, they shape our future without us ever noticing. They make us who we are today!

BTW, my 5 first games:

1. Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
2. Doom
3. Alone in the Dark
4. X-Wing
5. WarCraft: Orcs & Humans

One more question, how come they dont make games like they use to? Back then, there was very few games, but most of them where really good. Take 1996 for example, Windows 95 was still very new, and games were amazingly fun; Heroes of Might & Magic II, Master of Orion II, Red Alert, Diablo, Tomb Raider, Civilization II and many more! And thats just for 1996. I feel there are too many games out there and not enough good quality games.

OK, enough philosophy for today!

Please continu with the feedback.

April 4, 2009 7:32:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

First 'IBM PC' game that I played (and owned, before I even had my own PC system) was Links: The Challenge Of Golf (which was the reason that I switched from an Atari ST to a PC).

First 'Personal Computer' game would have been a 'navigate the blob cursor through a maze' game (typed in from a listing in a magazine) on a TRS-80.

First computer game that I ever played would have been Advent (which became known as The Colossal Cave Adventure in its later incarnations) on the local technical college's PDP-8 back in 1976

April 6, 2009 1:26:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

TRS-80.

I sold a few of these in a Radio-Shack store back in summer '82... i tell ya, those were the days where DOS 1.0 was a swift loophole towards Realistic own "operating system".

Snap a cassette, watch a bunch of multicolored rectangles in a fully rendered 256 depth (80 columns!) in a 16k ram monster tower of power.

April 8, 2009 6:03:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Wolf 3D!!!!!

April 8, 2009 6:36:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Our first PC was a Commodore 64.

There were a LOT of games going around on floppies for that system. The ones I remember the most are:

Shamus (1982)

Impossible Mission (1984)

The Bard's Tale (1985)

April 8, 2009 7:04:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

genome, and starcraft. games i grew up on. oh and oregon trail of course lol

April 8, 2009 7:07:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

several ascii games:

Star Trek

Rogue

Empire

April 8, 2009 7:28:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't remember which was first, or the names at this point, but I do remember loving one game I had on my old "IBM compatible" I guess it was an x86??  Just not sure.):

Leisure Suit Larry

A buddy and I used to giggle ourselves silly playing that.  Just imagine a couple of 11 year olds coming home every day after school trying hopelessly to get Larry laid laughing our asses off, but not too loud--we had to keep an ear out for when my mom got home so that we could quickly change the 5 1/4" floppy to space invaders or some shit.

Another game we used to play was a text based game based on Hitchicker's Guide to the Galaxy.  At that point I hadn't read the book, but my buddy did.  The game was so close to the novel that he was able to tell exactly what needed to be done from memory of the book.

Wow, I haven't thought of that in years!

April 8, 2009 7:49:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

cant remember the 1st pc game... but i do remember what was my very first online Game... it was Barren Realm Elite and Solar Realm elite... those text only where played on BBS..... u know B4 internet!!!!!!.... i know im old.... i do remember also my first experience on Star Control 1 and 2...... and... the all mighty Another wOrld... all on my 286.... with a 1200 baud modem that cost me a big 200 $....  (geez ... this thing was so slow... u can OVERLOAd that modem by typing too fast)...

April 8, 2009 7:52:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Dargoon999,

One more question, how come they dont make games like they use to? Back then, there was very few games, but most of them where really good. Take 1996 for example, Windows 95 was still very new, and games were amazingly fun; Heroes of Might & Magic II, Master of Orion II, Red Alert, Diablo, Tomb Raider, Civilization II and many more! And thats just for 1996. I feel there are too many games out there and not enough good quality games.

OK, enough philosophy for today!

Please continu with the feedback.

SOOOOOOOOO TRUE!!!..... and sad at the same time

April 9, 2009 1:09:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

First computer game was a BASIC rendition of Star Trek on the campus 360-50 (aka Fat Albert).  You could play it over the teletype/terminal (assuming you had an account with time on it.....)

Ignoring the Atari 2600 and the many cartridges....

First PC games were on the Sinclair 16K (you had to enter the programs line by line, tho), and later, on the C64, my main time consumers were Elite, the D&D games, and one little game (the name escapes me at the moment), but you had to clear spaceships of rogue robots via a control unit/robot (weaker than everything else).  To take over other robots you had a quick "battle" against the target robot by activating various electronic inputs leading through logic gates to the controls.  Yes, you had to recognize/read logic diagrams on the fly.

April 9, 2009 1:20:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Charvel1,
Our first PC was a Commodore 64.

There were a LOT of games going around on floppies for that system. The ones I remember the most are:

Shamus (1982)

Impossible Mission (1984)

The Bard's Tale (1985)

Geez, I forgot to put in LodeRunner (1983)

April 9, 2009 1:47:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

those text only where played on BBS

Gee that reminds, i did play a sort_of Space trading connect the dots by feeding the 300bauds Terminal with asciis on the TI/99-4A for a few weeks before buying VGA Planets (on the first PC, a 386DX40).
Can't recall the exact title, maybe someone here will?

April 9, 2009 3:08:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Serpentine and pacman on the Apple 2+.  Boy do I feel old.  Heck, I was a veterin gamer when Oregon Trail came out.

April 9, 2009 3:20:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ultima 2 and Caverns of Larn on my AtariST 520.

April 9, 2009 3:22:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Serpentine!!  Loved that game!

Crossfire?

I remember a cetipede clone set in a graveyard that was fun too.

Anyone play Aztec?

April 9, 2009 3:26:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Barring educational games like Oregon Trail and Carmen San Diego, Kings Quest. Do not remember which one though. After that, Duke Nukem 3D.

April 9, 2009 3:52:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

First Mac game: The Fools Errand.

April 9, 2009 4:08:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Hawawaa,
I will say xwing the first one I played... First buy... Age of Empires, Star Wars Rebellion, then Half Life, Starcraft 2, Homeworld and Deus Ex... ya then it just exploded from then on...

starcraft 2, wow talk about advance copy lol.

My first pc game was starcraft though, awesome game.

April 9, 2009 6:32:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kend0,
Barring educational games like Oregon Trail and Carmen San Diego, Kings Quest. Do not remember which one though. After that, Duke Nukem 3D.

Maybe my memory is not serving me too well, King's Quest was an educational game?

April 9, 2009 6:58:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Settlers II - What a game! (Or so it seems through these rose tinted specs ). I can sort of sing the main background music, and can sort of hear the sound effects in my head.

I spose before them I played some tiny adventure game at school that took (I think 6 or 7 year old me) about 15 minutes to complete, and an artillery style game with cannons. I remember I worked out how to play it - no one else could figure it out, and of course at that point we were like "WOW CANNONS".

I also have vague memories of an angle related snooker game, where you could put in angle 999, force 100, and win every time.

April 9, 2009 7:33:39 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

First computer games were on an Acorn Electron (mid 80's - there were also electronic games such as Pocket Simon (small version of Simon Says etc...).

About '91  I got an Amiga 500. Memorable titles include

Keef the Thief (if you opened up the art files from the disk, the bar maid was topless. You just didn't see this in the game as the bar was overlayed on the top).

Meglomania

Lemmings

Civilisation

Populous (never quite got the hang of it....)

Then I finally for a 486 DX2-66 with 8MB or ram - super sweet.

This introduced me to X-Wing (wet dream or what for a teenager who is a huge SW fan!!!!), followed up later by Tie Fighter

C&C (original....)

When I hit Uni and started doing lan parties in about '97, '98 - CARMAGEDON!!!! Cunning Stunt bonus' all around. Or was we used to say - stunning......... bonus

April 9, 2009 8:05:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

King's Quest was "educational".  King's Field was not

April 9, 2009 8:14:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

hmmm

the first PC game i ever played and loved  has to be STARCRAFT  and then later STARCRAFT:BW

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.