The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Balance] Should Regulus be able to destroy all defenses alone and with no danger whatsoever?

By on January 7, 2009 5:23:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Because this is what basically seems to happen. He extends his range and then goes around destroying defences without as much as a sweat. I understand that he's supposed to be long ranged but he is becoming the best siege machine in the game. Not only that but towers give a nice amount of money on destruction, making him rich in the process.

Perhaps this can be fixed if there is a castle upgrade that allows you to extend the range of your towers? This way if you see Regulus going for this tactic at least you have a way to counter even if a bit expensive.

+7 Karma | 25 Replies
January 7, 2009 5:36:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Up until late game he is pretty slow about it.  He will chip away at your towers, but almost every other demigod can do it.  The generals have their archers, the torch bearer can fireball the tower, rook can just drink the tower (yes, he is getting hit, but it ends up a net positive for him.)  The counter is simply scaring him off or killing him.  While he is just outside of tower range, he isn't a great distance from the tower.  If torch bearer and someone else both scroll to the tower he is plinking at the same time you can snare him and probably kill him.

Running around, completely unable to be caught, is more a symptom of the many stacking speed items.  You can stack the anklet, the boots of speed, the improved boots of speed (last expensive item in footwear shop), and late game the cloak to reach untouchable speeds.  Any hero except rook can move around with impunity with stacked speed.  In my opinion stacked speed absolutely needs to be removed and heroes shouldn't be balanced around it staying.

January 7, 2009 6:06:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hero speed is going to be reduced it seems, and outranging the towers is the whole point of playing a sniper build regulus.

January 7, 2009 7:33:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sure, Regulus can do this.  But it takes quite a while to take down towers, especially at first, and focusing on knocking down defenses provides almost nothing as far as EXP goes.  A regulus play who just runs around plinking defenses is going to get steamrolled by other demigods.

I really don't see a problem with him being able to outrange towers, that's kind of the point.

January 7, 2009 8:18:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He is a sniping hero, so obviously he can outrange a tower but since he can't hurt them (or at the cost of a LOT of time) it is not a problem.

January 7, 2009 8:38:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't see his greater range being an issue.

If he wants to spend his time killing towers I will win the match.

Sammual

January 7, 2009 10:59:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don’t see it as an issue either. I do however see the speed stacking as one however.

January 7, 2009 11:08:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i think he's fina as he is

January 7, 2009 11:35:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A regulus play who just runs around plinking defenses is going to get steamrolled by other demigods.

This is totally untrue. Taking down defenses while killing the creeps on the other side with mine when they arrive can be very lucrative and gives a nice amount of xp. This money can be used to upgrade your creeps and due to lack of defences start hitting the opponent's. In a recent game I played at the mid game, all both regulus' did on both side was attack defences because it was the best thing to do.

No other warlord can do this so easily, especially not when the defenses have been upgraded 2-3 times. There are some defenses for example, like the group of 4 towers in the sides of Leviathan that a lone melee warlord can't take one due to the sheer damage dished out.

January 7, 2009 11:57:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hero speed is going to be reduced it seems, and outranging the towers is the whole point of playing a sniper build regulus.

Hero speed is not really an issue.  If they reduce hero speed all heroes will have their speed reduced.  The issue is specifically speed boosting items and these items stacking.  The default speeds of the heroes are fairly good.

January 7, 2009 11:58:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The issue is specifically speed boosting items and these items stacking. The default speeds of the heroes are fairly good.

Well this is really a different subject. Lets not take it up in this thread

January 8, 2009 6:10:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I also do not think that the regulus taking down towers is a problem.

January 8, 2009 6:23:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Almost every Dg can easily take down towers late game and if regulus tried to i n the beggining of game he would get no were. Thats why its fine as it is

January 8, 2009 6:48:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Almost every Dg can easily take down towers late game

Which is why I was talking about mid-game

January 8, 2009 2:04:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting db0,

This is totally untrue. Taking down defenses while killing the creeps on the other side with mine when they arrive can be very lucrative and gives a nice amount of xp. This money can be used to upgrade your creeps and due to lack of defences start hitting the opponent's. In a recent game I played at the mid game, all both regulus' did on both side was attack defences because it was the best thing to do.

No other warlord can do this so easily, especially not when the defenses have been upgraded 2-3 times. There are some defenses for example, like the group of 4 towers in the sides of Leviathan that a lone melee warlord can't take one due to the sheer damage dished out.

Really?  That's interesting, I've never managed to keep up, level wise, if I focus on an early game tower hunting strategy.  Of course, I'm not regulus expert either, most of my experience with him has been fighting against him.

January 8, 2009 10:22:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

in mid game he doesnt do enough damage to take down the towers quick enough, an enemy dg should be able to stop him before he can do little damage.

January 9, 2009 3:10:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting db0,
Which is why I was talking about mid-game

Both generals can threaten towesr very early game if they take siege archers first.  The rook can push a tower effectively quite early also.  Regulus's tower kill power does not seem to outpace the other demigods.  Yes, he can outrange a tower and eventually kill said tower if you leave him alone.  Most other demigods can do this however and any demigod left unchecked is going to give you issues.

January 9, 2009 4:07:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Alright, it seems that I can't convince anyone with this concern. I'll playtest more and see if a siege regulus is problematic

January 12, 2009 4:59:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Each character may have a field in which they excel. If Regulus can snipe at defenses without taking hits in return, thats his forte. I don`t mind according a character I usually play against rather than as this advantage.

By late game he may have the capacity to take down such very quickly thanks to levels and items, but then again its late game. This really is nothing beyond a General Demigod instructing his Level IV fireballer Minions to attack a defense, right?

January 13, 2009 4:12:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't see how a sniping character should have a "thing" about taking down fortifications. I would expect that from the Rock (who does have specific skills to that extent) but not from Regulus.

And again, I'm not talking about the late game

January 13, 2009 8:26:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He can't take down fortifications early game - he can outrange them, due to his sniper nature.

January 13, 2009 9:59:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dude, range should totally be scrapped and replaced!

I'm amenable to trading in Reg's range upgrades for

1.  Oak's never-ending Last Stand

2.  Erebus' Vampiric Aura

3.  Regulus' Snipe (wait a minute...)

4.  A level 80 Rook mount

5.  Stackable 70% speed upgrades

6.  48 minions

7.  A Space Pony

January 13, 2009 5:30:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Because this is what basically seems to happen. He extends his range and then goes around destroying defences without as much as a sweat. I understand that he's supposed to be long ranged but he is becoming the best siege machine in the game. Not only that but towers give a nice amount of money on destruction, making him rich in the process.

Perhaps this can be fixed if there is a castle upgrade that allows you to extend the range of your towers? This way if you see Regulus going for this tactic at least you have a way to counter even if a bit expensive.

Yes he should

January 13, 2009 8:41:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it takes regulus alot of time to destroy firtifications in mid game and when he is doing so hes an open target.

January 15, 2009 7:10:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Dwarven Sniper from DotA has the same property, he too can outrange towers if he maxes the ability that increases his range, and it hasn't ruined that game, so I can't see the issue here either...

January 15, 2009 6:15:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just to say this games isnt Dota and what works for Dota doesnt nessisarily work for demigod but yes its fine.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000296   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.