The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Plasma or LCD

By on January 6, 2009 10:57:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm looking to buy a new hdtv. I've been looking around and I am stumped.

Can sombody explain to me the difference between plasma tv and a LCD one? And which one is considered better?

I'm looking to buy 42 inch hdtv less then 1000$.

Thanks for any info

+15 Karma | 28 Replies
January 6, 2009 11:19:11 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Plasmas have come a long way toward dealing with the burn-in or ghosting issue, but they're not as resistant as LCDs.  That's fairly important if you're going to go with an HD service.  The non-HD channels will generally leave a blank area on either side of the screen and ghosts of these bars will eventually show up when you watch HD content.

You can get by that by using the "stretch" mode on the TV, but some HD channels also inject bars with graphics into the picture when brodcasting SD content within an HD program.  These bars will also cause a ghost over time.

LCDs are virtually immune from ghosting under the same circumstances.  On the other hand, I've noticed some rare stuttering on my LCD screen.  It's llike a split second freeze that's almost imperceptable.  It's very rare and I'm not sure if that's from the screen or the DVR's time shift feature.  Probably the latter.

I'd rather put up with that than a bar ghost though.

January 6, 2009 12:26:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

My understanding is probably about 6 months old which is a long time in this rapidly changing field. Caveat Emptor.

Size. In general plasma TV’s are larger and LCD’s are smaller. The break point is right around the 42” that you mention so you probably do have a reasonable choice between the two as long as the industry hasn’t drastically moved in the last 6 months.

Cost. In general the cost per size ratio is comparable between plasma and LCD, however for the same size screen you’ll probably have to pay a couple hundred more for a Plasma TV versus a LCD TV. Given your 42” for $1000 metric this may restrict you to an LCD TV.

Color. LCD requires backlighting whereas Plasma does not. This means that colors might be slightly muted and black may be merely dark gray (i.e. lower contrast) on a LCD TV versus a similar plasma TV. In all honesty I found this to be a very small difference as long as the LCD TV isn’t the cheapest one on display but it *can* be noticed.

Motion Artifacts. LCD TV’s have a tendency to have difficulty displaying certain scenes containing movement. The classic one is someone in a striped shirt swinging on a swing. This can result in apparent disconcerting jumps in the picture. To get around this the better LCD TV’s refresh at 120Hz as opposed to 60Hz and this is generally sufficient to virtually eliminate the problem. If you go LCD I highly recommend 120Hz over 60Hz. Plasma TV’s do not have this issue. I believe this is the stuttering issue that Motti mentions.

Viewing angle. A long time ago the difference here used to be extreme but LCD’s have caught up significantly to Plasma’s recently although Plasma’s do still have a slight advantage. The standard LCD viewing angle is 160 degrees although some models boast up to a 175 degree viewing angle. Plasma’s have up to a 178 degree viewing angle although it *is* possible to get an LCD with a better viewing angle than some Plasma’s.

Lifespan. Lifespan is defined as the number of viewing hours a TV provides until the overall picture dims to half brightness. This is an area where LCD has historically had the advantage over Plasma but Plasma has pretty much caught up. For LCD’s the standard metric is a 60,000 hour lifetime which is 27 years of 24/7 viewing. You can now get Plasma’s in this range but the average may be somewhat less.

Burn In. I believe that Motti correctly and sufficiently covered this.

Pixel Issues. LCD’s may have stuck (always on) or dead (never on) pixels or various combinations given that every pixel consists of three sub-pixels (RGB or CMY - Cyan, Magenta, Yellow). At reasonable resolutions dark pixels can be difficult to notice but stuck pixels are really annoying. To me this is the single biggest concern when buying an LCD. Carefully read the literature on the specific model you intended to purchase and fully understand the manufacturer’s pixel defect policy. I would never accept a TV with a stuck pixel of any kind nor more than a handful of isolated dead pixels. To the best of my knowledge Plasma’s do not have this issue.

The only other thing I can think of is weight, power and altitude. Plasma’s are heavier, more fragile and consume more power. Plasma’s may not work so well above an altitude greater 6500 feet. LCD’s are lighter, more robust and consume 30 to 40 percent less power than a Plasma of similar size and are not affected by altitude.

Happy shopping. 

January 6, 2009 12:39:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you both for the really informative posts. This really helps me making a clear choice.

January 6, 2009 1:03:30 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Out of curiosity, any of you guys have both a Plasma/LCD TV and CRT's in the same house?   Do you find yourself gravitating to the Plasma/LCD because you like it so much better?    My TV's are all trusty ole CRT and over 10 years old, and my desktop is my same old 21" CRT monitor I bought 13 years ago for $1100.  I'm doing just fine, digital signal and all.   If I got an LCD, I don't see myself recouping the depreciation cost in power savings.   In a normal-sized room, are these big $1000 screens really improving the experience that much, or are they pretty much just man-toys?

January 6, 2009 1:45:20 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

In all honesty I do not own a Plasma or LCD TV. My current TV is 14 years old. The information that I gave above was pretty much garnered during a fairly deep investigation into the issue 6 months ago. Given the rapid change in the industry I wanted to defer my ultimate decision as long as possible.

I have been using LCD monitors for years now having had dual 1600x1200 monitors at work for at least 5 years now and my current home setup is a 1600x1200 LCD with a 1280x1024 LCD monitor on the side.

I did come to the conclusion that if I were to buy a HD TV it would be a 42" 120Hz LCD in the $1200 to $1500 range as long as the pixel defect policy of the manufacturer was acceptable.

However I'm still not totally sure I'm even going to make the change come February but it's not due to any uncertainty about HD TV it's more about a dislike of the apparent hand in hand relationship that digital TV has with DRM.

Basically the story is this. Yes you can buy a digital TV but that is only capable of receiving broadcast digital TV. If you have cable or direct TV then each "Video Service Provider (VSP)" has the right to encode their signals differently and you will be required to use a converter box or in some case use a firmware driven "personality card" to decode your VSP's signal. The VSP is required to provide one such decoder free but in any case you do not own it and additional boxes must be rented. Also the VSP industry has successfully kept the TV manufacturers from providing any kind of "universal" digital tuner.

This is tied into attempts by the industry to close the "Analog Hole" that allows people to currently freely record and to burn on media of their choice any content either broadcast or cable. If you noticed the trend is to provide DVR functionality (which in fact you rent but do not own) to record a "soft" (i.e. electronic) copy onto a hard drive but then put in restrictions on how that saved copy can be "burned" to permanent media. There is also a drive to force the requirement that DVR/Blu-Ray equipment have an internet connection so that if an attempt is made to record content that the rights holders’ site can be accessed to authorize the recording. There are even provisions that will allow the content rights holder and/or the cable/satellite company to actually disable your DVR *and* your TV until a representative from your cable/satellite company or content rights holder in the case of broadcast TV comes to your home to resolve the issue.

All in all this is too much Big Brother for me and I'll eschew HD TV for as long as I can just so my wife can record a VCR tape of any random show she wishes.

If you wish to read up on this see http://www.eff.org/issues/broadcast-flag or just google "digital tv and DRM" and you find a whole bunch of stuff. Clearly anything from industry sources talks about this as if it's the best thing since sliced bread and is somehow a benefit to the consumer, but dig a little deeper and it will scare the shit out of you.

[edit] I forgot to mention that anything you get should be 1080p. This should pretty much be standard now but there still might be one or two 1080i sets out there, if so avoid them. [/edit]

January 6, 2009 1:58:45 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

They just did the same crap with cell phones.  It used to be I could just record any sound I want and set that to my ringtone.  Then Verizon said I should "update" my software, which I did, and now I have to use only their ringtones, which we have to buy for $6-$10.  ...then, later, it turns out that the ringtone you "bought" expires 12 months later and you have to buy it again.

January 6, 2009 2:09:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Yeah. All in all I don't believe that this attempt will be sucessful, just look at various ripper software available today and whatever is done in the future will have some way around it.

Not that I am in any way promoting anything that could be construed as advocating piracy but google "phone cracking".

January 6, 2009 2:21:53 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

HD is a joke.  just the other day i was in walmart looking at the HD tv's and ever one of em had a fuzzy screen because some of the pixles didnt have any thing to do. and they had what i would call motion blur  but it made me dizzy. so unless you get HD channels a HD tv is a wast

January 6, 2009 3:22:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

That's some good info, Mumble.  I'm not quite as technically inclined, so my observations are from my own viewing experience and from the Dish installation guy's warnings about viewing SD content with a Plasma TV.  You might be right about the freeze thing.  I haven't notived it since we upgraded our service to HD though.  It's been as smooth as our CRTs, but the picture in HD is nothing short of phenominal. 

At first, it looked 3-D.  I'm more used to it now and have come to expect the TV to look like a clean window.

Quoting tetleytea,
Out of curiosity, any of you guys have both a Plasma/LCD TV and CRT's in the same house?   Do you find yourself gravitating to the Plasma/LCD because you like it so much better?    My TV's are all trusty ole CRT and over 10 years old, and my desktop is my same old 21" CRT monitor I bought 13 years ago for $1100.  I'm doing just fine, digital signal and all.   If I got an LCD, I don't see myself recouping the depreciation cost in power savings.   In a normal-sized room, are these big $1000 screens really improving the experience that much, or are they pretty much just man-toys?

We gravitate to the LCDTV.  We don't have a plasma though.  We have a 32 inch Trinitron CRT (from my pre-Sony boycott days) and a 27 Inch Toshiba CRT upstairs.  The 46 Inch LCD is downstairs on a wall. With the only High Def TV being the LCD, it stays powered up most of the time.

Quoting Kaltes,
HD is a joke.  just the other day i was in walmart looking at the HD tv's and ever one of em had a fuzzy screen because some of the pixles didnt have any thing to do. and they had what i would call motion blur  but it made me dizzy. so unless you get HD channels a HD tv is a wast

The picture quality won't be so good at Walmart since they use a split RF signal going to their display TVs.  They also set the display to "Full" or "Stretch" mode on the SD broadcasts, so the quality is degraded further.  If you have a friend that has an LCDTV at home, especially if they use regular mode in SD and component video signals instead of RF, I think you'll be impressed.  Even our SD channels look great with the component signals.

One last comment that's probably the most important - Whichever way you go, make sure the screen is anti-glare.  The highly reflective screens will look better in the store, but when you get them home, the reflection from any light source will tempt you to toss a rock at the screen in short order.

January 6, 2009 3:50:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Strangely i just bought a Toshiba Model #32AV502U -- LCD-HD 32" panoramic 16/9 (for 500$+, pretty good Holiday season deal) and there IS a huge blurring difference between the oldy CRT tube and that brand spanking new technology.

Here's a link to describe it better;

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Toshiba_32AV502U_32_High_Definition_LCD_TV_p/05232av502.htm

Watching a few channels or specific programs (by regular 60ohm cable feed.. not HD, btw) creates ugly rescaling gimmicks which i can only describe as oil painting "variations" - mostly noticeable in newscast lettering or high speed sports such as hockey.

I figured i would enjoy a better experience than analog, but digital (and further along HD) isn't 'imaging stable stuff' enough specially at closer viewing range.

When somebody out there will provide a true final standard 1080i (or p, depending on what the source signal is, BlueRay or DVD crap talk anyone?) sharpened picture WITHOUT any artifacts from the usual or pay-per-view transmission pipelines - just call me.

In the meantime, analog signals are way much worst on LCD than they were on low-tech but steady 480i CRTs.

Sadly, i do have the proper appliance to *always* display better HD - but at 20$ more per month to cable or satellite supplier corps and the fork out of 300$+ for the necessary converter terminal(s)... one may think that buying such a service to suffer through 35% worth of publicity time every hour by invasive stupidity of the pseudo modern era of TeeVee programmers is not funny at all.

My time is **that** precious when it comes to paying for home leisure.

I recommend high contrast ratios and if you can find it - a much sturdier backlit circuitry, cuz these can enhance the experience without costly repairs to the set. Also, make sure you get plenty of "Connection outlets" for your wallet; HDMI, PC, Console, Video feeds, S-Vid, streaming choices, audio, Progressive scanning, etc.

January 6, 2009 3:58:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There's also the DLP.  We got a 57" DLP about 2 years ago.  At the time you got more inches for your dollar over plasma and LCD.  I don't know if that still holds true.  You also don't get the pixel issues, burn-in, or glare and the color/contrast is superior to both.  It looks like you have 180 deg viewing or as close as you can get.  It is very light for the size.

Disadvantages: You have about 17" of depth, so you must set it on something (we bought a new entertainment center that fit around it), but it's better than the old rear pojections big screens.  Bulb replacement:  this is the big one for me.  I'm a little irked after having to replace 2 bulbs already.  First one under manufacturers warranty and the second for $300.  Supposedly they only last 18-24 months.  We had gotten the extended warranty from CompUSA (great store, but went out of business) and we though we had 1 extended warranty bulb replacement, but it wasn't in the system for the people who took over from CompUSA and we couldn't find our paperwork.

January 6, 2009 3:59:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

As someone that recently went through the same purchasing decisions with an open mind I would simply say this, 90% of the time a decent plasma will trump an LCD screen, just make sure you buy either a Panasonic or Pioneer.

There are exceptions such as excessively bright viewing conditions, static images or pure video game performance but pretty much anything else goes to the plasma esoecially when you factor in standard definition broadcasts, fast motion in sports and dark scenes in films.

The second point worth mentioning is that a decent LCD display over 40" is expensive, over 50" its really expensive. Less than 40" means you need to save more money before buying.

Finally something that applies to both types of TV... once you sit further than 9 - 10ft away from the screen unless your screen is massive (i.e. 65" plus) things like 1080p is just pure marketing hype unless you like to watch TV with binoculas.

January 6, 2009 4:02:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've also never had any problems watching SD or HD on the DLP and the HD is fantastic, especially football games.  It seems you can see every blade of grass on the field.  Sometimes its kind of scary seeing all the blemishes on the newscasters that were previously hidden by the SD.

January 6, 2009 4:15:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Id love to have a small LCD tv to get rid of my old one. Problem is the only room I can mount it is already cramped for space. I thought about wall mounting it and it seems like the best solution.

Is there any way to mount a flatscreen on the outside of a corner so that the tv can turn to both sides?

January 6, 2009 4:21:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

There are swivel mounts that mount to the inside of a corner (the opposite kind of corner--the kind a normal room would have 4 of).  I can imagine you should be able to mount those backwards and achieve what you want.

January 6, 2009 4:29:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tamren,
Id love to have a small LCD tv to get rid of my old one. Problem is the only room I can mount it is already cramped for space. I thought about wall mounting it and it seems like the best solution.

Is there any way to mount a flatscreen on the outside of a corner so that the tv can turn to both sides?

I'd be afraid someone would run into it and knock it down.

January 6, 2009 5:25:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's all in the quality of the set.  I have a small 19 inch LCD from Samsungin the kitchen for $220 and it is OK but certainly not HD as advertised.  I also have a 37 inch Sharp Aquas ($1300)and EVERY picture is beautiful HD signal or not with no blur, ghosting etc. 

January 6, 2009 5:28:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If you have cable or direct TV then each "Video Service Provider (VSP)" has the right to encode their signals differently and you will be required to use a converter box or in some case use a firmware driven "personality card" to decode your VSP's signal. The VSP is required to provide one such decoder free but in any case you do not own it and additional boxes must be rented. Also the VSP industry has successfully kept the TV manufacturers from providing any kind of "universal" digital tuner.

Well, you'd need a box either way if you want digital cable/sattelite, regardless what type of TV you have. Though I don't think I've ever seen a TV thus far that accepts CableCards directly.

January 6, 2009 5:31:14 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Strangely i just bought a Toshiba Model #32AV502U -- LCD-HD 32"

Got one myself back in the summer (when $650 was "cheap" for a good quality 32"... sigh). It's pretty good--I've got the cable box and the 360 both on HDMI--but now that it's past its 90 days the backlight is occasionally not firing up when I turn it on...

January 7, 2009 2:24:07 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I should try to use the HDMI channel myself to see if that enhances the VideoTron source feedback box instead of considering 60ohm copper wirescrews the optimal way to connect such a "better" TeeVee... time to go shop around for wiring-cables (pun intended).

Yep, the BackLit (Dyna) on that set is truly amazing technology -- if electronically reliable enough to outlast other key components.

780p is not that high of a figure, anyway.

January 7, 2009 5:03:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Solam, I recommend This for a $1k 42 inch HD TV.

Excellent black levels, 4k gradients, 30k/1 static contrast, 1000000/1 dynamic, a truly beautiful tv, and 10 years of continuous play to reach half intensity.  The last guy that came looking for a TV, I sent after one of these.  He's extremely happy with his choice.

TFL, get your eyes checked.  I can see the jagged edge of a non horizontal line on a .48mm aperature just fine from eight or nine feet, going lower than 1080P for a 42 inch would drive me batty with an LCD.  I can also see the flicker in a 60hz refresh rate looking dead on.  Watching a standard TV drives me nuts, not to mention gives me a headache after a couple hours.

January 7, 2009 10:24:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Getting this type of hd tv, what kind of picture can I expect if I do not have HD at home? Meaning only digitla cable which I have now?

January 7, 2009 11:24:06 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You know, if you don't really need to buy your own digital converter box, now is probably not the best time to get a digital TV.   If you're willing to wait several months, prices will probably drop a good bit, after this whole analog switchover thing shakes out.  Everyone else is upgrading their TV's right now because of the switchover, which keeps the prices up.   Once that buying frenzy blows through, the Japanese will have to drop their prices to keep us buying.  That's the right time to get it.   Right now, it's not terribly difficult to get ahold of a good CRT for free--at least, if you have any family & friends.  Just use the box your cable/satellite provider gave you.

I know people are going to say, "electronics prices will always go down, might as well get it now", but these are extenuating circumstances.   I think we'll see a good dropoff in like 3 months.

January 8, 2009 9:52:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting tetleytea,
You know, if you don't really need to buy your own digital converter box, now is probably not the best time to get a digital TV.   If you're willing to wait several months, prices will probably drop a good bit, after this whole analog switchover thing shakes out.  Everyone else is upgrading their TV's right now because of the switchover, which keeps the prices up.   Once that buying frenzy blows through, the Japanese will have to drop their prices to keep us buying.  That's the right time to get it.   Right now, it's not terribly difficult to get ahold of a good CRT for free--at least, if you have any family & friends.  Just use the box your cable/satellite provider gave you.

I know people are going to say, "electronics prices will always go down, might as well get it now", but these are extenuating circumstances.   I think we'll see a good dropoff in like 3 months.

interesting point. I am thinking of buying it in spring anyway. But I am trying to find out all I can right now.

January 8, 2009 10:46:29 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I would recommend a LCD and it should be a Samsung my first choice or even a Sony those are top 2 in HDTVs.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.