The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Forums go Boom!

By on December 26, 2008 7:04:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just want to throw it out there and ask if anyone else are having problems. Maybe a bit of a stupid question, since I can see no reason why only *I* should be having troubles, but I just wanted to make sure.

I've been trying to access "My Account" for a few days now, to change my avatar into my Christmas avatar, but forums go boom!

+131 Karma | 18 Replies
December 26, 2008 7:19:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Silly pigeons.

I'm seeing it as well, actually-although I never would have thought to check on my own, as I didn't need to modify my account.

On the bright side...now I have an excuse for not having an avatar!

Thank you, Stardock!

(I'm half kidding.  )

December 26, 2008 7:33:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, SoleSoul, get yourself an avatar, already!
Yah lazy bum! Key people of the community can't be without a avatar!

December 26, 2008 8:14:18 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'm having a competition with myself to see how much karma I can get while still being avatarless.

It looks far better from the GC2 forums.

December 26, 2008 8:27:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not having an avatar is like being without a name and a face.

December 26, 2008 8:36:23 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Luckmann,
Not having an avatar is like being without a name and a face.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

December 26, 2008 8:39:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There are still site related issues from the database failure the other day, and over the next couple of days everything should be resolved.

December 26, 2008 9:53:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
There are still site related issues from the database failure the other day, and over the next couple of days everything should be resolved.

Baaaaaaaw.
You people are taking too long. I need my christmas avatar NAO!

December 26, 2008 10:04:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

well as for avatar-less karma...I'm up to 31 So I guess staying anonymous aint too bad!

signed: Justin S.

Damn....not anonymous anymore!!!

PS: Ive never been able to add avatar

December 26, 2008 11:40:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Yeah, I noticed this myself awhile ago, I figured I've been active enough here to make it worthwhile to give myself an avatar.

I hope it will be fixed sooner than later.

December 27, 2008 12:19:00 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

well as for avatar-less karma...I'm up to 31
The thing about karma is that it's dependent on what site you're viewing this from. For example this particular forum can be viewed from at least 5 sites (Demigodthegame, Galciv2, Impulsedriven, Sins, Stardock and I haven't checked out the Elemental site so I'm not sure about that one). Karma received from one forum doesn't appear to transfer over to another forum so while SoleSoul has 36 karma on the Galciv2 site (i.e. "here") he has 0 karma on the Stardock site. Similarly ShadowMastiff has 0 karma here (i.e. Galciv2) and the Stardock site while he has 31 karma on the Sins site.

December 27, 2008 8:51:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ShadowMastiff2468,
[...]
PS: I've never been able to add an avatar
As a heads up to everyone that can't add their avatar(s) even when the account settings works: If you are using Flash 10, you cannot add an avatar. It's a known issue, but it does confuse some people that doesn't know about it. Use another computer with Flash 9 or somesuch, and it'll work fine.

Quoting Mumblefratz,
The thing about karma is that it's dependent on what site you're viewing this from. For example this particular forum can be viewed from at least 5 sites (Demigodthegame, Galciv2, Impulsedriven, Sins, Stardock and I haven't checked out the Elemental site so I'm not sure about that one). Karma received from one forum doesn't appear to transfer over to another forum so while SoleSoul has 36 karma on the Galciv2 site (i.e. "here") he has 0 karma on the Stardock site. Similarly ShadowMastiff has 0 karma here (i.e. Galciv2) and the Stardock site while he has 31 karma on the Sins site.
Yep, works on Elemental. It's the only one I frequent (and consequently care about). The only ones here that have Karma is me (37) and Sole Soul (8) - on my screen, of course.

It's really somewhat a pity, since I feel that Karma is a relatively good gauge on what quality a poster is. It also determines the pecking order of wheter or not I can refer to you as plebes.

December 27, 2008 9:16:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Silly pigeons.

and weebles

December 27, 2008 1:07:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yay, Finally!

December 28, 2008 12:44:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Expanding on Luckmann's post, I'm sure that most of us run Firefox in addition to IE(for just problems just like these). Open that, and in the address box, type "about:plugins" without the quotes. Scroll down a bit, and it will tell you what version of flash you are running. In  IE, click on tools, then "Manage Add-0ns". I used my Firefox to set my Avatars and stuff, as it was running 9.0.115.

December 28, 2008 10:54:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DarkSentinel,
Expanding on Luckmann's post, I'm sure that most of us run Firefox in addition to IE(for just problems just like these). Open that, and in the address box, type "about:plugins" without the quotes. Scroll down a bit, and it will tell you what version of flash you are running. In  IE, click on tools, then "Manage Add-0ns". I used my Firefox to set my Avatars and stuff, as it was running 9.0.115.
Why use IE? You can check your plugins in Firefox, as well.

Tools -> Add-Ons ("Tillägg" in Swedish) -> The tab to the far right, scroll down and Flash should be there, with version number.

The only thing that I can't do with Firefox that I can do with Internet Explorer is manage my bank accounts; Which is why I'm boycotting their internet access thingomajigs. If I could, I'd strip my windows entirely bare of Internet Explorer.

January 4, 2011 11:44:03 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey I am getting this now trying to add a post anybody else having problems today?

January 4, 2011 6:36:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No, no problems. It's not likely to be the same problem as above - the sites have been revamped in the two years since the op

January 4, 2011 7:00:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

i havent gotten this error in a while so yea.... also i have changed my avatar its working  know

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.