The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Beta 2 Walk-Thru

By on December 16, 2008 10:53:27 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

Beta 2, like Beta 1, is multiplayer only.

We haven't put in the obfuscation yet for the password so don't logon in front of anyone yet.

Beta 2 is about the custom game (which we'll probably rename to skirmishes later).

Beta 3 (January) will focus on the Tournaments.

THIS is the screen where the pain will take place.  We do NOT have the Internet stuff working very well yet.

Let me talk about the issue here so that everyone is on board:

Unlike most games where users try to open up router ports and port forward to a particular machine, Demigod is using Impulse Reactor's CVP (Common Virtual Platform).  What this does is have the Impulse cloud take care of setting up multiplayer games.  This means not having to open ports, it lets people in college dorm rooms play each other as well as others on-line, and eliminates all kinds of other hassles normally associated with PC multiplayer games. Yay.

But right now, it's flakey and slow.  Very flakey and slow.  Yesterday, we did get a good Stardock vs. GPG game going using it. But at other times, I couldn't play someone at Stardock whose machine was 5 meters away. 

So that is what we're working on fixing between now and Thursday's release of BETA 2. But odds are, it'll still be flakey.

Click on the achievement slot on the UI to spend favor points to get persistent items.

Generals have their own minions that are unique to each General but they can also purchase generic minions too.

Don't forget to upgrade your Citadel -- unless you're playing me in which case, don't bother, they're a waste of time and what not.

Suggestion: Make your minions TOUGHER before you add more of them so that you're not just giving your opponent free XP.

Other things to note:

We're still balancing things and will be for awhile. We have only partially implemented the flags and a lot of items are not in the game yet. So stay tuned.

Locked Post 36 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 16, 2008 11:11:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

<drool drool drool>

December 16, 2008 11:17:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks Frogboy.  On one hand it's too bad that the multiplay system is slow and flakey, on the other, it's refreshing that you tell us what's going on..

I'm psyched for generals

December 16, 2008 11:17:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is awsome, I can't wait for Thursday, this game just keeps getting better and better all the time.

December 16, 2008 11:19:04 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll second the droolage, and raise a question:

Are the "favor point" rewards specific to each Demigod? As in, if you buy an item for your Oak, will it only show up when you play Oak, or every Demigod you play? How can you switch these if you buy several? Or do you have to re-buy each time?

December 16, 2008 11:36:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think for this Beta Phase, due to the fact we're doing Skrimish Games, the Favor Points may not be persistant. But then again, I do not know! It's be interesting to see them tracking it, but right now I have a feeling they are mainly focusing on fixing multiplayer and just giving us enough Favor Points to test out things.

BTW: Minimap looks real nice.

December 16, 2008 11:36:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good question, Annatar...

Also, is singleplay skirimish an option in Beta 2?

December 16, 2008 11:54:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You can still play on the Internet against AI players only (like in the screenshot).

December 16, 2008 12:41:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

AHHHH! I'm going crazy all these new posts showing new features are so awsome! I can't wait any longer! That is a a good question Annatar11 hopefully one of the devs will answer soon.

December 16, 2008 12:42:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can still play on the Internet against AI players only (like in the screenshot).

That will completely shut down the Beta process everytime there's a problem with the online service. You'll get far more testing done when you give people the ability to test even when something outside their control, on the developers side of things, goes wrong. They can continue to discover bugs and send feedback all the time that way.

December 16, 2008 12:45:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

*WHEW* thought I'd have to get friends there, you scared me .

December 16, 2008 12:48:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That will completely shut down the Beta process everytime there's a problem with the online service. You'll get far more testing done when you give people the ability to test even when something outside their control, on the developers side of things, goes wrong. They can continue to discover bugs and send feedback all the time that way.

I don't think the two are necessarily related, otherwise I doubt they'd actually release the beta. If I had to guess, from the way Brad described it, it's that connecting to other people is where the problem is, but running a local game with AIs works fine.

That's what I get out of it..

December 16, 2008 12:54:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,

Seems like simgelplayer skirmish should still be an option.  Take a look at the character setup screen, Draginol with only AI.  Although Launch game is not possible, they may be waiting for slots to be filed or closed.  I doubt that would be disabled.

Clearly I can't walk away for a monment from this topic or the answer is already given by the devs.

December 16, 2008 1:24:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BRB changing underwear

December 16, 2008 1:25:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Clearly I can't walk away for a moment from this topic or the answer is already given by the devs.

lol, I know right?  Pesky devs, answering our questions within 18 minutes...what's up with that?  Give me the ol' EA stonewall any day...

Ahem, glad to hear we will have singleplay...really good for testing things out...thanks

December 16, 2008 1:45:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

some people might consider it rude to continually tease people  

December 16, 2008 2:04:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,

Quoting Ke5trel, reply 6

Seems like simgelplayer skirmish should still be an option.  Take a look at the character setup screen, Draginol with only AI.  Although Launch game is not possible, they may be waiting for slots to be filed or closed.  I doubt that would be disabled.

Clearly I can't walk away for a monment from this topic or the answer is already given by the devs.

I think Launch isn't available because he hasn't clicked ready

And does that mean no more lanning?

December 16, 2008 2:44:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cool. cant wait!

December 16, 2008 3:18:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks Draginol this article was awesome. I have learned alot from it thakyou for your time. Pleese keep us posted of what your doing. It really helps me keep focused and its also good to tell you about stuff we might want changed better.

December 16, 2008 3:46:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Xan25,
This is awsome, I can't wait for Thursday, this game just keeps getting better and better all the time.

So then I take it that Beta 2 is scheduled for release on Thursday?

Yay!  Though a Wednesday release would be even better for me...

December 16, 2008 6:42:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well thats what all sources including draginol in the reading say so I would say yes.

December 16, 2008 7:39:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
Well thats what all sources including draginol in the reading say so I would say yes.

Whoops, I missed that in the original post

December 16, 2008 9:54:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

its ok I've done the same thing

December 16, 2008 11:23:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great.....I can't wait till Thursday, but I have an AP Chemistry final friday that I need to get a good grade on....decisions decisions

December 16, 2008 11:51:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"Thursday's release of BETA 2."

Wooo!

December 17, 2008 1:04:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ron Lugge,
<drool drool drool>

Na-ah! I drool 10x more than you!

I was going to say, release it one day early and give us droolers something to shit our pants over!

Now that you got that lovely image in your mind... I sure hope it works on xp x64!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000984   Page Render Time: