The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod vs DOTA

By on December 8, 2008 7:42:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey guys.

I havent had the pleasure getting to play demigod yet, but when beta2 starts i will be all over it. Im just wondering how this game matches up to dota. How similar are they in fact and in your oppinion what is the best of them? One of my biggest conserns is that i heard you can only choose from 8 different demigods opposed to 93 in DOTA. Does the increased options of speccing your hero even this out a bit? This is comming from a guy who has played +5000 games in DOTA so im really worked up about this game.

0 Karma | 212 Replies
December 12, 2008 3:39:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This i agree with. "I want to take part in Demigod Tournaments where people are more my standard of play", but the rest is just plain wrong "and I get rewarded equally to that of the Hardcore players." 

So like, I want all that guy gets from winning by training and doing his best but i don't want to actually work for it so if you would just give me the prize that would be cool? 

For all who's being cursed for being noobs, i feel with you. It happned to me and it still does. The worst part about this is that it just happens regardless of your own skill. they just want to blame it on others. Even if your on the other side of the map they say, hey why didn't you help me (slight exageration). DotAs community really is bad but i think it's like that everywhere tough.

100.000? I don't know what they do to get those number but maybe they count marketing fees and stuff like that? I don't know but no matter what reasons you give 8 is not enough to start with when it's realeased. There's an option in the game that's somthing like mirror mode off. So that you can't choose 2 of the same heroes. So when you play 5vs5 map you's have to turn mirror on. Don't you think that feels really... cheap? Or just really bad. Like a halfassed game.

Quoting Ke5trel,

Edit:  Think about it this way, Teh_Senkon -  DoTA is a mod built on an ancient engine by one guy and maintained over the years by two others.  The engine has limitations and the crafters had finite resources, but they still managed to rock.  Let's pretend number of demi's is a given limit of 8 at release - it's a rule of the universe.  Within that limitation, what can we do to make a great game?   

Firstly it was started by one guy continued by two guys + a couple of tousands of players. You just can't make a great game out of eight demigods, a decent game would be the limit. And if it's a rule of the universe then i want to destroy that universe (or maybe just change the rule would seem less extreme).

December 12, 2008 3:50:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We know u don't like 8 demigods we just want to know what u do want.

December 12, 2008 5:17:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Teh_Senkon, yes I strongly feel casual players should be praised, prized, and rewarded 100% equal to that of Hardcore gamers. Making it where there is no different for someone who players all day long, and someone who plays for an hour during their lunch break. Games which support a hardcore crowd and reward them for having little, or no life needs to come to an end as it is eating away at our standards of life and mentality. For further reading on this issue, please indulge yourself on one of my essays which carefully details my point of view.

Analysis Monster Hunter 

Here is an section quoted from my Essay I want to draw focus to:

The very act of sitting down before a television, picking up a controller, slipping on the microphone, and tossing a few grenades while trash talking ones opposition is quickly becoming a national past time. Even if there is concern from certain governmental figures declaring that many games are “bad for the American youth” they are perhaps missing the point entirely. As the games are now designed to appeal to a certain mentality that is becoming vastly shared within urban regions, and now only grows outward in several directions from coast to coast. Each game has become an outlet, fueling on the flame that the society we live in has ignited with the inherit demand to not only consume, but to consume the flesh of your enemy – metaphorically and somewhat literally.

But the enemy is not the outsider, no, it is your neighbor. The greatest threat to the American youth has been, and always has been themselves. This has been predetermined long before they were even born, and it is to the gain of several gaming companies who have successfully tapping in on that desire to be 'better' than someone else. This gives the youth a certain amount of self gratification, ensuring that they are the alpha, they are the pack leader, and it is they who is quicker, smarter, stronger than those they just blew away with a plasma grenade. In short, they are providing virtual banquets for an entire nation of urban influenced youths to socially cannibalize each other. 

With this in mind we look at the success and failure of certain games, and also bring up even more questions of potential contradictions. Another Capcom title is Lost Planet, a very successful third-person shooter when we look at the game for what it is. Again, it manages to be solid, enjoyable, challenging, repayable, and easy to pick up – the aspects that make a game 'good' at its core. Yet, it doesn't quite compete with games like Halo, or other more highly marketable games like the Grand Theft series. In fact, there is little hope a game like Lost Planet can really even make a dent against such titles as that without some considerably populous analysis. Lost Planet succeeds greatly as a game, but not one that is marketable to a very voracious public.

Games like Halo succeed for two real reasons, and neither of them have anything to do with the actual gameplay. First, there is no denying that Halo always has an insane marketing protocol. By the time they are done advertising the game, the date of its release is virtually ingrained into the very fibers of your being, even if you care little about the game itself. Secondly, it's an extremely social game. Friends persuade friends to play, to encourage and ensure they can compete. Even friends desire to best each other, because there is always that desire to be the dominant human that society has successfully installed within them. 

Clearly not every youth is so fully infused with the desire so socially cannibalize, or maybe they are – but simply have very little outlets in which to express such a need to be better. There exists the population of youths which are in fact antisocial, or simply lack a quantity of friends. Since they were not nurtured on series such as Halo when they were young or had no real impulse to play it because of the lack of social interaction – these gamers can find themselves seeking out not so well known titles like Monster Hunter for example. Perhaps Monster Hunter is one of the better examples in fact, because of the system in which the game is engineered it can be seen a fine proxy when there is no one locally to 'best'.

December 12, 2008 5:31:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Woah, this thread is evolution in action....

as an aside to what seems to be a debate on casual vs. hardcore vs. socially cannibalistic youth gaming -

it looks like Demigods will have between 7 and 15 skills in Beta 2, according to Arisal's take on the IGN Blog screenshots released today.  I haven't seen them yet behind my big ol firewall, but this certainly speaks to the need for diversity discussed earlier, so if you can go look...

Edit: ok so I've seen the screenie...looks like there will be several ultimate techs that completely remap a given skill as well as two more skill lines for seven in all....I'm really excited to play Regulus at this point....

December 12, 2008 6:18:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teh_Senkon,

Firstly it was started by one guy continued by two guys + a couple of tousands of players. You just can't make a great game out of eight demigods, a decent game would be the limit. And if it's a rule of the universe then i want to destroy that universe (or maybe just change the rule would seem less extreme).

Why can't you make a great game out of 8 heroes? Why would being a decent game be the limit? Please explain your reasoning.

December 12, 2008 10:27:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,
Woah, this thread is evolution in action....
it looks like Demigods will have between 7 and 15 skills in Beta 2, according to Arisal's take on the IGN Blog screenshots released today.  I haven't seen them yet behind my big ol firewall, but this certainly speaks to the need for diversity discussed earlier, so if you can go look...

Edit: ok so I've seen the screenie...looks like there will be several ultimate techs that completely remap a given skill as well as two more skill lines for seven in all....I'm really excited to play Regulus at this point....

I am really excited to see reg again.  Did Arisal discuss this in a post and where?  I can't seem to find it.

December 12, 2008 10:38:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It was an ign blog on home page look for it and I have a post about it. https://forums.demigodthegame.com/332663/#1973829 here.

December 12, 2008 11:45:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I posted a reply in the Demigod ideas post: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/326614

Basically I was commenting in that post how I totally agree there should be more abilities per demigod like almost double what was in beta 1 and it looks like Regulus will now have 11 different skills which I was very excited to see in the ign blog screens.

December 13, 2008 3:33:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="C.C" reply="5" id="1973582"]
Why can't you make a great game out of 8 heroes? Why would being a decent game be the limit? Please explain your reasoning.
[/quote]

I'll compare it too a game called Super smash bros. melee. It's a fighter game with 24 nintendo characters. It came out like seven years ago and i still think it's a great game. A game with alot less characters, let's say 10, would have the flaw that those 14 heroes that somebody liked does not exist anymore and for those people the game lost all it's apeal or at least staying power. Not only that for those who still has the ones that they like, let's take me for example, i like marth, shiek, bowser and zelda the most but i still like most of the others too just not as much. However, most of those characters would not exist in the 10 character game. So whenever i play my friends and wanted to switch it up by playing someone else i would't be able too as much. Over the course of seven years with this limited choises i would most likely grow tired of it.

This would be even more true in a game like dota and demigod. In ssbm you only play 2-4 i each match but in demigod theres 10 in 5vs5 matches.Lame---> All availble gods would be played in the first match (plus two duplicates)<---Lame. You would then see the same heroes every match and grow tired from it. Even if they are customizble to the extent that it would be like 15 gods you would still have to look at the same god and visuals is important to. And it gets confusing when theres alot of the same heroes on the field, espesially in a team fight. With only 8 more often than you might think there would be matches where many would want to use the same heroes. 3 wants to play unclean one regulus and 2 torch or whatever. Then you would sit in the chat and argue about how lame it would be and ask someone to pick someone else and noone would want to but someone would in the end or someone would leave and join another game. The game would be so much better if in a game there would enough gods to not be to much of a chance that picking the same heroes would be a problem.

Think of it this way, if a thousand people is playing at any given time, how many times do you think having a small amount of heroes would be a problem?

Edit: I forgot but i looked and it seems like regulus only have 7 skills (not counting stats). The big diffrence seems to be that they have alot more followups now and they change alot along the way. Seems really cool and i hope i get to play it soon.

Edit 2: The torch has 7 skills as it is now, so if regulus got more skills to get to 7 then i wonder how many torch would get.

December 13, 2008 6:12:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Alright I completely agree with a lot of what is being said in this thread about addind depth to Demigod.  I think in terms of UI Jinx is totally right and the will be what we see in Beta 2 it has to be intuitive.  The most frustrating thing in a game is the lack of control of your character, period.  Just having an easy to manuever interface is like 50% of a game.  Second in terms of making casual gamers equal to regular gamers that sounds insane, of course if you play more you should be able to get better but that game shouldn't be based on time.  For instance, as a gamer I don't want another WoW where I have to play for 1 million billion hours to start the real game at level 70.  Please make the game based on SKILL, like CounterStrike with headshots, or Dota with last hits and gank timing.  One big thing not mentioned is the longetivity of this game.  Hopefully there users will be able to create content for Demigod with custom games or maps or something like that.  That would be a HUGE boon for this game.  Just look at past successes like WC3 or CounterStrike.  The best parts of those games aren't even the original games they are the added content by users.  As consumers I think we should demand better games with longetivity not just greedy game companies trying to sell us the next 60 dollar game.  I hope other people can petition for this longetivity that can eventually make Demigod a great game.

December 13, 2008 6:36:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yes I strongly feel casual players should be praised, prized, and rewarded 100% equal to that of Hardcore gamers. Making it where there is no different for someone who players all day long, and someone who plays for an hour during their lunch break. Games which support a hardcore crowd and reward them for having little, or no life needs to come to an end as it is eating away at our standards of life and mentality. For further reading on this issue, please indulge yourself on one of my essays which carefully details my point of view.

So 9th Division football players should get the same like champions league players? I agree on the praised part but not on the prized equally. In the 2 Money Tournaments GPG held they split the crowd into 3 Divisions based on their Elo score and gave money to the top 10 of each division, but less for the lower divisions. Thats a system I like very much because competition is someone people can enjoy regardless of their own skill level but giving 1500$ to the overall best player on a game and 1500$ to the of those whose Elo is below average would be silly. Imagine getting as much money as Anand for winning a chess tournament where only people participated who started playing chess the day before.

Aside from that there is also the problem that people will abuse an equal-reward-system  purposely playing bad in the ladder or only playing via hamachi with their partners (when spent time is the criterium) so they get into the lower division and will win it then. That would be cheap money for them and very unpleasant for the players who really belongs into that category. Think of Robinho and Ballack playing 9th Division because they get the same money there for winning the championship as when playing in the Premier League, that wouldn't be fun for anyone. The only way around that is having more rewards for the better players.

For someone who is so concerned about people having "no life" you write a damn lot on forums (even on forums of games you don't like) which for me is about as much "no life" as playing a game.

I don't think that 8 Demigods is too few when you can play them differently; saying 8 is too less per se is like saying "Dota sucks, there is only 1 map how boring"

December 13, 2008 8:41:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dude your a moron super smash bros started out with 8 or 10 charcters. Over the years they have gained alot though. PLaying with those 8 charcters was still fun though. Maybe over the course of years if demigod does their may be expansions leading to more demigods. *In edition to downloadable content. Super smash bros melee was the 2cnd super smash bros so obiously their would be more characters. Super smash bros was fun than when their were 2d maps like 10 maps, 8 characters and a bunch of items.  I still think it is better than some games today including Dota and yes I have played dota and similar games like it. super smash bros didn't have alot of people but it had quality and replaybility. U would verse the same guys alot of times

edit*

December 13, 2008 10:02:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I agree with TheBigOne, Orlean that is one of the most condescending things I have heard someone say on a forum.  I am glad you think you are morally better than us because you "play on your lunch break" and have wrote an entire essay about it but games are competitive get used to it.  Get up off your moral high horse and step down to the real world.

December 13, 2008 11:12:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheBigOne,
So 9th Division football players should get the same like champions league players?

Allow me to begin by stating that Football is a professional sport, and though I personally do not condone it, I will for this argument recognize that others appreciate it as a major league activity in the real world which requires very vigorous physical activity and dedication to ones who body and mind. We must understand that gaming is well and good, but we need to recognize that playing a game on the television or the computer is not a healthy activity, and equating it to a competitive sport is only further legitimizing a compulsion to remain seated and play it. Have you ever watched gaming tournaments on television? The youths I see there are very obese and out of shape, they focus intensely on a readily available game at the cost of their own health - and for what, a meager cash prize that will later seem like a wisp of smoke versus the immense health care bills they will have to pay when they begin to suffer from diabetes? 

My problem is not the players themselves who constantly what to legitimize immobility in a culture that is steadily becoming more and more immobile (think Wall-E and floating chairs, equal to that of guided strollers for giant babies) -- it's the society itself that has shaped them and it needs to be changed. For now, I want people to understand my argument more clearly and what I mean about equal reward, and what I meant about tournaments. 

More Clarity 

I wasn't speaking about offical Tournaments for cash prizes and nor did I feel the idea of the Ladder system, or at least a single Ladder system, is viable for a system which gives appreciation to the casual gamer. To be frank, I would strongly recommend not having a ladder at all in any fashion, where there is no number one player, and no single random matching software which potentially uses the one-size-fits-all policy. We know that Demigod will have a Tournament Mode, which goes over a duration of two to three months. It would be great pleasure to not just see one type of Tournament Mode which houses all player types.

I suggest multiple segments of the online realm, much like the single player, which is seperated into Easy/Medium/Hard for example. I'd also recommend that the system not be based on ladders, wins, or losses. Then how would such a system have a checks and balances? Actually I've a few developing ideas, but it's something in this spectrum I'd like to have support fleshing out. I personally feel that recording a player's performance by a ladder system is not only out dated, overrated, and more importantly unhealthy -  but it also can lend itself to opening the doors to some really rude community goers who base their right to cruel to others off their ladder rank.

We can change the system, we just need more open minds to consider the posibilities and help make that fiction a reality.

December 13, 2008 12:18:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Many of those points are absolutely true and could very well make Demigod a fantastic game (hopefully).  I'm always skeptical about future "free" updates and I rarely hold my breath on those promises. While Stardock has a good rep for doing updates, GPG isn't exactly known for great service.  Plus there's the recent failure, Space Seige which was also developed by Mike Marr (according to Moby Games).  I'm not saying Mike is a bad designer, but I can only look at things with the information present.

This isn't being very fair to Gas Powered Games.

Developers have little control over releases. It's the PUBLISHER that has a lot more control over it.

Stardock and GPG have funding for Demigod updates for long after the game's release.

I can also say that Mike Marr is an outstanding game designer.  Moreover, Stardock published games are significantly different from how other games are published.  We are intimately involved in the design of these games whether it be Sins of a Solar Empire or Demigod, we are actively involved in the design.  It's a true collaboration.

To be honest Jinx, I think you've been completely unfair to Demigod from day 1.  We made it very clear that Beta 1 was an engine test and that it was explicitly made NOT to be very fun in order to get players to focus on compatibility and performance.

There's nothign wrong with being a DoTa fanboy.  Dota is a good game. Demigod certainly got a lot of its original inspiration for it.  But a $40 to $50 commercial game can't simply be a stand alone version of a free add-on.  We had to have a lot more scope.

The # of races/heroes in a game is irrelevant.  Galactic Civilizations II has 12 races in it, Starcraft only has 3. Does that mean GalCiv is automatically better than Starcraft? Or heck, I think Space Empires V has like 50 races in it.

It's not even a quality versus quantity argument because it's all apples and oranges. Even if creating Demigods was dirt cheap, I would have vetoed having more than a dozen or so Demigods on release because it diminishes the uniqueness and specialness of each Demigod.  I'd rather have more time put into each Demigod to let players equip and play them differently so that they get to know the Demigods.

Same was true with Galactic Civilizations.  Creating a race in Galactic Civilizations costs basically nothing. I could have had 500 races in there. But we limited it to 12 so that each one had its own interesting backstory that players could get to know and appreciate and relate to.

December 13, 2008 12:19:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting TheBigOne,
there are items as well in dota... (Jinx ninja posted me)

Guys seriously withhold discussion about this until we at least see beta2 and then discuss in a polite manner without bashing others or other games.

I think the planned Item count is something between 70 and 100 or so, there are like 40-50 in it currently I think.

There's way more than 100 items when you count in the favor point based items (permanent items you purchase with points earned in a game).

December 13, 2008 12:33:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Have you ever watched gaming tournaments on television? The youths I see there are very obese and out of shape, they focus intensely on a readily available game at the cost of their own health

uhm I dunno I can't think of one korean pro gamer that is fat, not even of one that has a BMI more than ~25 (just a rough guess don't have exact figures). Those guys spend 2-3 Hours each day with physical training as you need a well-shaped body to compete, thats the same for chess professionals. Vishinand Anand swims each day 1-2 hours despite hating it, but its necessary for the condition. Give me some pictures of pro-gamers that are fat please would really want to see them (you specifically spoke about those which are shown in television, I won't argue that there are fat competitive players who are good in counterstrike or stuff like this, but even then I doubt the ratio of obese people there is higher than the average).

I also don't see the correlation between competitive gaming and playing much, there are lots of people who play games many hours without playing them competitively.

My problem is not the players themselves who constantly what to legitimize immobility in a culture that is steadily becoming more and more immobile (think Wall-E and floating chairs, equal to that of guided strollers for giant babies) -- it's the society itself that has shaped them and it needs to be changed. For now, I want people to understand my argument more clearly and what I mean about equal reward, and what I meant about tournaments.

If you think the solution to that problem is removing the competitive spirit of a game is very naive. You actually burn a lot more energy when playing competively than when playing a casually, competitive computer gaming is very similar to chess in that. It is by no means a replacement for movement/sports but you surely don't get fat because of it, you wouldn't argue that you get fat from playing chess would you? The two main reasons  for obesity are wrong and too much food and too less movement; removing the competitive spirit of a game won't make people eat more healthy food nor will people start to do more sports. That is the responsibility of the education system, the parents and friends.

I suggest multiple segments of the online realm, much like the single player, which is seperated into Easy/Medium/Hard for example. I'd also recommend that the system not be based on ladders, wins, or losses. Then how would such a system have a checks and balances? Actually I've a few developing ideas, but it's something in this spectrum I'd like to have support fleshing out.

Matchmaking based on wins and losses has the ultimate goal of matching up 2 players/teams which have equal skill so both can enjoy the game, no matter how good they are (and If you take a look at Warcraft III where 90% of the players have a win ration between 45-55% it works damn good). I don't see how you can have any as reliable system by having such a crude system with Easy/Medium/Hard and people are categorized in it based on some obscure conditions which even you don't really seem to have a clue of.

I personally feel that recording a player's performance by a ladder system is not only out dated, overrated, and more importantly unhealthy - but it also can lend itself to opening the doors to some really rude community goers who base their right to cruel to others off their ladder rank.

Sorry but it seems to me that you are the hate-spitting person relying on wrong clichés here, and thats without even having a Demigod Client at all yet. Every Community has its bad guys but if you think that they go away just because there is no ladder, dream on.

I do play games competively, run 1000m in under 3 minutes, have a BMI around 20,5 and I am no exception, to all the tournaments I have been either as visitor or as player there was rarely a fat player and almost never an obese player. (But then Obesity is much less of an Issue in Europe and also in Asia than it is in the USA)

December 13, 2008 12:42:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheBigOne,
Matchmaking based on wins and losses has the ultimate goal of matching up 2 players/teams which have equal skill so both can enjoy the game, no matter how good they are (and If you take a look at Warcraft III where 90% of the players have a win ration between 45-55% it works damn good). I don't see how you can have any as reliable system by having such a crude system with Easy/Medium/Hard and people are categorized in it based on some obscure conditions which even you don't really seem to have a clue of.

All the contrary to one of your many, mounding assumptions, I do have very much a clue on what I propose; however, before I go spouting off another giant essay of ideas I'd like to assure people will read it.

So far I stand by my comments, but I never suggested taking out the competitve element of the game. I merely suggested changing the system in which that element is introduced. I feel we can think of something other, and more creative than the Ladder system.

December 13, 2008 1:51:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Who isn't all for even matchmaking?  I don't understand the problem, I mean win/loss is the simplest way to pick out which players are better when comparing to others.  This helps make games more even and thus more fun. 

I wrote this essay with compelling evidence on how competitive play works:

Here

Here is an excerpt I particularely like:

"*Snore*"

Anyways blaming games for obesity is like me blaming someone else when I punch them for getting in the way of my fist.

December 13, 2008 2:10:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So I continue to propose a way to further devlope the competitive nature of a game and express a desire to build a new system that may be better than the classic match making and ladder - and instead of wanting to put heads together to craft interesting ideas, you want to flame me? Please recall we're in the Stardock forums, not the Blizzard forums. Please get your attitude it check so we can progress this conversation in a constructive manner.

Again, I do have many ideas on how to change the system, and I'd love to share them.  But I'd aprpeciate it if people would try to understand that I do not want to take away the competitive element or punish high performance players. I would like to lay down the idea framework for:

• A system which still retains the competitive element, but doesn't force it upon players.
  • Does away with the single one-size-fits-all ladder and matchmaking system.
  • Does away with player records that shows Win/Loss ratios publically. (This promotes negative behavior)
  • Ultimately seperates the new players and the experienced players on ranked type games (freeplay options can exist for no restriction of who plays who). 
  • Autobalancing currently exists in the system. (Automatch 2 v 5 based on skill) - So build on this more.
  • Allows players of different skill levels to be equally rewarded for victories in tournaments of their tier. (Doesn't discriminate agianst players with lives)

Now, I have some clear details on my ideas on how to accomplish this, and I honestly do not feel it folly to follow this line of logic. The very nature of the negative flak I am getting for such ideas only bolsters my reasoning, and makes me feel such is all the more a much needed change to a functional, but unhealthy system that promotes bad behavior amung fellow gamers.

Note: I'm more concerned on the behavior rather than the physcial health element. As a change in behavior effects everything else down the road, including the physcial.

December 13, 2008 2:26:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OrleanKnight, your points are all valid, but I think that this 2-3 Month Tournament will be already exactly like that.

a system which still retains the competitive element, but doesn't force it upon players.

Custom games? like in every RTS which is out there already? In fact the majority of most RTS player mostly or even exclusively plays those.

Allows players of different skill levels to be equally rewarded for victories in tournaments of their tier. (Doesn't discriminate agianst players with lives)

Yes tiered tournaments are great (as long as everyone can compete in higher tiers if he wants to). SupCom has a lot of tiered tournaments. I am also for having some tournaments run using swiss style system so all players can play all games of the tournament instead of being knocked out. (but there should also be knock-out tournaments.) And I personally find this " doesn't discriminate players with live" very insulting as it implicates that a good player has no life... which is just wrong. Why do you have to insult other people in every post you make?

Does away with player records that shows Win/Loss ratios publically. (This promotes negative behavior)

if there is a good matchmaking nobody but the top 5% will have a win/loss ration which is much different from 1:1 so this is hardly the source of bad behaviour. Remember, Dota doesn't has a win-loss record at all but yet its one of the most unpleasant RTS/RPG communities I ever met.

December 13, 2008 2:39:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Keep in mind that the small size of the DotA community, not to mention where how many did migrate over from Counterstrike, was a large factor into the contribution of negative behavior in the community. Now, I'm not aiming to insult players, but I never exactly linked a good player to having no life. I mean to give focus to people who may be playing at work, and work all day, and barely have time enough to even think about a game. I come from the gaming industry, and I know very much that many people work very long hours and don't play many games (aside from the designers).

It'd be nice to have a game they even hard working individuals feel they can have a great time playing and take part in very rewarding tournaments they don't have to break a leg to be a part of. Allow me to let you in on some of my ideas, thought I will not provide them in clear detail quite yet as to not be a hinderance to the topic.

Consider this, imagine a Multplayer has as six (maybe even five) tiers. All players begin at the bottom teir, all upward tiers are locked. Win or Lose, taking part in any game will allow a player to gain points. These points act like a form a virtual cash, which they can then use to unlock the tier ahead of them. Eventually, a player will unlock most of the tiers as their skill progresses. it will come to a point where unlocking the next tier, will lock the first tier. Preventing them from taking part in low end games with new players.

Players who will seek a great challange will go to the highest ranking tier and ramain there, if not in the slightly lower arenas below it. Based on where you are in the tiers you've unlocked, that'll reflect on your reward. Such as, fighting in a lower tier will mean you win less points. Losing of course, doesn't reduce your points.

Players may find they like a certain level of a tier and desire to remain there.

The problems of course are applying elements which can prevent the invetible skilled player from diving into tiers they do not belong in. Perhaps, allowing players to only have access to one tier at a time? That can be debated.

Note this is not my only idea, nor is it a clear illustration of one idea. But I'm tossing it out to see how people may react to it.

December 13, 2008 3:06:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I really don't see how it is different from a well made ranked system using elo scores with limited search range for matchmaking.

In Supcom a player with an elo of 2000 is only matched up vs players with a score between 1750 and 2250 and a player with 1600 is only matched up with a player between 1350 and 1850. that is more or less like your tiers except that they are more dynamic compared to having 6 fixed tiers. The rating difference in which players are matched up in supcom is rather big but thats mainly a problem of a too small population as you have don't want to have people wait for an hour until they are matched vs someone.

If I understand you tiered approach right it is decision of the player to go to the next tier, so people can remain in the lowest tier forever and restricting them to a single tier won't do any good in this case and if you put them in a tier based on how they did in their games you just have a normal ranking system, just that there are only 6 different skill levels which is a lot more crude than a elo based system with limited search ranges.

If the player population is big enough it surely would be a good idea to have new players (less than 10 games or something like this) matched up vs other new players so they have a good starting experience.

Another important point to prevent "noob-bashing" is to limit each CD-Key to 1 Game-Account so people can't just make a new low ranked one and grief around.

can you please explain why the small size of the dota community results in a bad behaviour? First of all the dota community is by no means small, I'd say it is bigger than any non-blizzard rts community. Additionally from my experience a community gets worse overall the bigger it is.

And again I totally agree that there should be tournaments and events for all kinds of players from the most casual to the most aspiring ones, but without knowing which players are experts in a game, which are average and which a novices/casual players it is hard to do such tournaments in an enjoyable fashion, thats why some sort of rating system is needed (and even if you decide to hide that you still have to tell the people at some point in which tier they belong)

December 13, 2008 3:23:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OrleanKnight,
Keep in mind that the small size of the DotA community, not to mention where how many did migrate over from Counterstrike, was a large factor into the contribution of negative behavior in the community. Now, I'm not aiming to insult players, but I never exactly linked a good player to having no life.

I disagree Dota has a very large community and it continues to grow from what i am seeing. Also it does seem that you're insulting those taking a game more competitively then others by branding them of having no lives. I believe that win/loss ratio being shown to the pubic doesn't bring out bad characters. Its rather the persons attitude themselves you can't blame a win/loss ratio being shown for a persons character.

On the subject of obesity gaming has nothing to do with the obese problem in America. People are obese cause they choose to be if people rather stay home and play games rather to go out and lose those pounds its there problem. You cannot blame games for peoples own choosing if they want to be obese and die from clogged arteries let them be. Cause you lessen competitive or get rid of e-sports isn't going to change the problem of people being obese. Its like TheBigOne said "That is the responsibility of the education system, the parents and friends."

December 13, 2008 4:24:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have to say, in my experience gamers are more often very slim rather than obese. Also, most adults in developed countries don't play sports regularly or do very much exercise. I think blaming games is missing the point a bit (unless it's World of Warcraft, which I have seen destroy lives). You can have more than one hobby.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000734   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.