The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Beta 2 Preview

By on November 17, 2008 3:13:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Gas Powered Games is working hard on Beta 2 of Demigod. We don't have a definitive date for it but we're hoping to get it out before Thanksgiving so people can play it over the break (that would be next week).

Now, so far beta testers have only played the engine test. That was basically just to see compatibility and performance.  We've taken that data and the GPG team has increased the game's performance dramatically.

Beta 2 is where we get into the "meat" of the game.  As we've mentioned before, beta 1 wasn't supposed to be fun. We're delighted some people found it fun but it wasn't really meant to be fun.

Beta 2, by contrast, is where the fun starts. How fun it'll be depends on how many of the features get in.  Below are some of the key features beta 2 will introduce:

1. Objective Flags.  Beta 1 has a couple of these but beta 2 adds a lot more.  Winning at Demigod is about your ability to capture and make use of these objective flags.
  2. Skill Trees.  The skill trees have been greatly expanded upon.
  3. Generals.  While Assassins are extremely powerful on their own, Generals can summon minions who can be controlled like an RTS.
  4. Internet play.  Impulse Reactor based "cloud" multiplayer gets in which should make getting games going very easy (fingers crossed).
  5. Citadel upgrades.  Right now, things progress based on time.  In Beta 2, players will have to spend gold on Citadel upgrades to get access to more units, better units, etc.

We also have some surprises that we hope will make it into Beta 2 but we can't commit to that or whether they'd fall into Beta 3.

+77 Karma | 67 Replies
November 20, 2008 1:13:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The developers read my mind.  I was hoping that they would get the second beta out by thanksgiving so that  could devote some time to providing quality feedback (not to mention just playing it)

November 20, 2008 1:30:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

unless I'm mistaken it won't be out by T day, landisaurus...Yarlen by way of Trigeminal says it probably won't be out til the week after...

November 20, 2008 5:20:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

champ_1 if you've been following the updates you'll know that demigod does have an actual rts part to it.

And I would rather they took forever and got it right then rushed it and got it wrong. Everyone cries and complains when there is unbalance/bugs in a game - well if u want the game to be balanced and unubggy let them take their time

However some more updates on how Beta 2 is looking would shorten the wait for us all

November 21, 2008 12:24:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'd love to see this out by Thanksgiving.  Lets see if my undying trust in GPG by giving up my money before the game is even made pays off!

November 24, 2008 9:25:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Spectacular!

If I am assigning names correctly, I can envision a "classic" match-up between teams: The Oak and The Rook versus The TorchBearer and The Vampire Lord. They look like they complement each other.

November 25, 2008 6:52:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

24th of November

#Demigod on irc.stardock.com

21:39:33 | @Yarlen: It's not coming out this week

Start preparing for next week though !

November 25, 2008 8:14:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting champ_1,
Beta 1 had many issues..same can be expected from beta2.

Unless beta2 includes actual rts gameplay (that makes sense to rts fans) as advertised, not many players will end up buying this at the end.

dont set your hopes too high...

You're an official idiot. You do know that the entire Beta 1 was an engine test and they specifically did not include any of the type of generals that are supposed to offer RTS play. When the devs actually give us the RTS demigods, then you can talk about whether or not they offer RTS play, but you're a complete fuckwad for suggesting that you've been ripped off or otherwise wronged by the Assassins not offering RTS gameplay.

November 25, 2008 8:38:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DeadMG,

You're an official *****. You do know that the entire Beta 1 was an engine test and they specifically did not include any of the type of generals that are supposed to offer RTS play. When the devs actually give us the RTS demigods, then you can talk about whether or not they offer RTS play, but you're a complete ******* for suggesting that you've been ripped off or otherwise wronged by the Assassins not offering RTS gameplay.

Don't be rude. He was offering his views and to be honest that is what the betas are for. He does state "...unless beta 2...".

November 25, 2008 9:09:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think the point is that beta 2 was already stated as having these elements.

November 25, 2008 9:44:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting champ_1,

Unless beta2 includes actual rts gameplay (that makes sense to rts fans) as advertised, not many players will end up buying this at the end.

It should be noted that in order to get into the beta, a pre-order for the game must be placed.  In essence, if you're in the beta, you've already bought the game.  We aren't providing refunds for people that don't like the beta.  Actually, right now, we're not providing refunds on Demigod at all.

So if you're not sure, you might want to wait and see how the game shapes up.

Just wanted to clarify that way ahead of time.

November 25, 2008 10:28:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting champ_1,

Now, I haven't played it yet, but I already seriously doubt your statement.  So far in all the advertisements I've seen it never said it was particularly heavy in the RTS, just that certain demigods had more RTS qualities.  OR, you could go with more hack/slash diablo like demigods.  Even if that isn't fully relized in beta 10000, if thats the final product then sales are going to be fantastic.  Heck, it doesn't even need RTS.  It just needs DoTA action and I know a good handful of warcraft 3 players that will go buy it and would not otherwise if it had actual rts gameplay.

also, don't be negitive by saying things like "don't set your hopes too high" at this stage in the game development.   it makes you sound like the type of person nobody wants to have around because you hurt moral, and thats no good.

November 25, 2008 2:12:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually due to the Gamers Bill of Rights, you Are making refunds

Anyway its called beta for a reason, you cant judge the final product from it. I myself feel great about being able to influence the way this great game turns out.

December 2, 2008 11:25:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sevenix,
Actually due to the Gamers Bill of Rights, you Are making refunds

The gamers bill of rights refers to games that don't work on your system, not games that you don't like.

December 2, 2008 12:09:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting landisaurus,

Now, I haven't played it yet, but I already seriously doubt your statement.  So far in all the advertisements I've seen it never said it was particularly heavy in the RTS, just that certain demigods had more RTS qualities.  OR, you could go with more hack/slash diablo like demigods.  Even if that isn't fully relized in beta 10000, if thats the final product then sales are going to be fantastic.  Heck, it doesn't even need RTS.  It just needs DoTA action and I know a good handful of warcraft 3 players that will go buy it and would not otherwise if it had actual rts gameplay.

"Demigod is a cross-genre project in development at Gas Powered Games for publisher Stardock. Aimed at the first quarter of 2009, it's described as real-time tactical strategy with extensive role-playing elements. We'll be able to pursue glory with two types of characters. The Assassin-class options will be action RPG-like; we'll be in the thick of the arena battles, directly obliterating our adversaries' forces with our powers. Opting for one of the General alternatives will result in a heavier emphasis on strategy; we'll not only fight, but also build an army, lead it into combat, heal our troops, and weaken those of our enemies." - Developer Diary #2

Yeah, they did and still do claim that atleast half of it is RTS.

December 2, 2008 12:53:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, and tehy said in Beta 1 that they specifically did not include ANY of the RTS gameplay to work on it moar. It is not unreasonable for advertised content to not be in a beta when the beta specifically does not include all of the content.

December 2, 2008 1:07:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And said info strategy info will be in beta 2.  This is beta 1 currently, there is still beta 2 and its multiple smaller patches and a possible beta 3.  Beta 1 was just an engine test.  Please calm down.  If you want to rip the game wait until beta 2 or if you want to be really reasonable wait for the release to see what is and isn't included.

We WILL see the strategy elements and generals in beta 2, as ealry as Thursday.

December 2, 2008 2:31:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not saying there won't be RTS content - just correcting the ones who think that they never claimed there would be RTS content.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.