The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Beta 2 Preview

By on November 17, 2008 3:13:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Gas Powered Games is working hard on Beta 2 of Demigod. We don't have a definitive date for it but we're hoping to get it out before Thanksgiving so people can play it over the break (that would be next week).

Now, so far beta testers have only played the engine test. That was basically just to see compatibility and performance.  We've taken that data and the GPG team has increased the game's performance dramatically.

Beta 2 is where we get into the "meat" of the game.  As we've mentioned before, beta 1 wasn't supposed to be fun. We're delighted some people found it fun but it wasn't really meant to be fun.

Beta 2, by contrast, is where the fun starts. How fun it'll be depends on how many of the features get in.  Below are some of the key features beta 2 will introduce:

1. Objective Flags.  Beta 1 has a couple of these but beta 2 adds a lot more.  Winning at Demigod is about your ability to capture and make use of these objective flags.
  2. Skill Trees.  The skill trees have been greatly expanded upon.
  3. Generals.  While Assassins are extremely powerful on their own, Generals can summon minions who can be controlled like an RTS.
  4. Internet play.  Impulse Reactor based "cloud" multiplayer gets in which should make getting games going very easy (fingers crossed).
  5. Citadel upgrades.  Right now, things progress based on time.  In Beta 2, players will have to spend gold on Citadel upgrades to get access to more units, better units, etc.

We also have some surprises that we hope will make it into Beta 2 but we can't commit to that or whether they'd fall into Beta 3.

+77 Karma | 67 Replies
November 18, 2008 1:40:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Delete me, double post

November 18, 2008 1:42:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Having Beta 2 come out in the same timeframe as the Entrenchment beta... just nasty!

Quoting theleif,
Will it be playable for users with non ASCI chars in ther local folder path?

That would make my day.

That's an unusual request...  Not something I imagine the devs run into too often!

Edit:  I hate it when the internetzors at school don't work right -- like right now.  I thought I hadn't posted to this thread yet, but I guess I had...

November 18, 2008 6:05:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

And to think that ive taken 2 weeks holidays 2 weeks early doh!!! Cant wait.

November 18, 2008 6:41:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can't wait.  I need a good holiday break. 

November 18, 2008 6:44:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just blew in my pants

November 18, 2008 10:05:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I WANT

November 18, 2008 10:16:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Reaver,
I just blew in my pants

That's disgusting.  My question is #1, #2, or of the semenal variety?  On second thought, don't answer that.

November 18, 2008 11:21:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So when the Beta is released, will we all be notified to where to go to download.... or how exactly does that work?

(realises his comp will be needing about a week for download with his net connection)

November 19, 2008 3:22:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Belsamuel,
So when the Beta is released, will we all be notified to where to go to download.... or how exactly does that work?

(realises his comp will be needing about a week for download with his net connection)

I am assuming you are new to the beta.  If this works similar to beta 1, as I am reasonably sure it will, your card will be charged and when you next load impulse or click the "check for updates" button under the impulse orb, Demigod will show up on your "My Games" page on impulse.  When this happens, simply click Download (or Install) and it will tell you the progress of the download.   When that hits 100% it will say stuff like extracting and installing with a % again.  Then you can play the game. 

If you get on the demigod irc channel, you can chat with others as to how close they are to you.  Last time they did tokens first, then credit cards, and then paypal.  I, for example with beta 1, was constantly asking, "are you processing credit cards yet?"  Then when they were processing cc, I was asking, "if you are in what date did you order?"  Since they process in chronological order this game you a good idea on your wait.  And just in case you were wondering, I was far from the only one asking.  Hope that helps, and see you soon.

November 19, 2008 4:00:16 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I can't wait.

November 19, 2008 4:17:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just pre-ordered 11/11, do I have a chance to get in this?

November 19, 2008 4:29:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yep

November 19, 2008 5:04:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great news, the article was appetite-whetting and the screenshot pantcreaming.

REALLY can't wait

November 19, 2008 8:56:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Oakwarrior,
Great news, the article was appetite-whetting and the screenshot pantcreaming.

REALLY can't wait

You and Reaver should really invest in some scotchguard for your pants.

November 19, 2008 11:27:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't take what I say/write too literally

November 19, 2008 11:37:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Update from irc today:

9:42 AM <Yarlen> There is no Demigod update this week - probably not next week either because its Thanksgiving in the U.S. and we'll be closed part of the week.
9:49 AM <Zoomba> plans are tenuous things... they change a lot
9:49 AM <Zoomba> and we'd rather do things right than rushed

Hope no one is too bummed.

November 19, 2008 11:43:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

eh. I kinda am but I have TON of stuff to do these next two weeks so it's probably a good thing.

November 19, 2008 11:59:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,
Update from irc today:

9:42 AM <Yarlen> There is no Demigod update this week - probably not next week either because its Thanksgiving in the U.S. and we'll be closed part of the week.

Well, between L4D, FO3, and Sins update it's probably for the best that beta 2 doesn't come out any time soon, unless I remove sleep from the equation...

hmmm, perhaps...

November 19, 2008 1:36:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,
Update from irc today:

You just have to work harder faster and be more productive!!!!

I think you all need to be better team players!!! Man Up and get it released

November 19, 2008 7:03:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would like to see a daily screen cap building up to the release.  They could start with "finalized" Beta 2 features like the menu, then a single player setup (to reveal if it is available), the a pic of the shop menu, the citadel upgrade screen, and so on and so forth.  Would be a nice teaser.

Is it just me or is it clear from this thread alon that I don't sleep enough.

November 19, 2008 11:47:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think they should take the time they need personally.  And they should NOT release if the internet multiplayer isn't ready.  I thin that's key.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't want to bother with hamachi who REALLY want to try this game out against other people.....Like me for instance.

November 20, 2008 12:15:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well I think that's one of the things they might need to put into Beta 2 to test. Not only do they need us to test the online multiplayer on impulse, but they also need to see who might have problems with it, what those problems are, and so on. I agree that it will be a very important thing to perfect before the full game is released, but I don't think it's going to be working at 100% for beta 2.

But there's always wishful thinking!

But yes, take your time and make it good.

November 20, 2008 3:25:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sweet! tesb, you were right. A CSR emailed me today to confirm that I'll be in the Beta (and that is when they'll withdraw the amount from my CC) and

November 20, 2008 4:48:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Beta 1 had many issues..same can be expected from beta2.

Unless beta2 includes actual rts gameplay (that makes sense to rts fans) as advertised, not many players will end up buying this at the end.

dont set your hopes too high...

November 20, 2008 9:09:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting champ_1,
Beta 1 had many issues..same can be expected from beta2.

Unless beta2 includes actual rts gameplay (that makes sense to rts fans) as advertised, not many players will end up buying this at the end.

dont set your hopes too high...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.