The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Official "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" MEGAThread

Are you ready?

By on November 10, 2011 12:38:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ZehDon

Join Date 04/2009
+115

Skyrim's street date has been broken in Australia by a solid 10 hours, however - because Steam owns PC Gaming - it can't be installed until midnight.  So, until then, I get to stare at my legally purchased, worthless piece of plastic that amounts to little more than a Steam Activation code.  DRM's a real bitch.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm still very, very excited - enough so to buy it regardless of the Steam bullshit it's shackled to.  Anyone else pumped for what has the potential to be Game of the Year?

Locked Post 228 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 21, 2011 9:23:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I play at adept most of the time, but the leveling system of the enemies isn't smooth, so I adjust it, up or down to give a good, but not easy or impossible fight.

November 21, 2011 1:00:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I really like the performance of this game right out of the box, you can tell alot of love went in to this. Again this shows what a great single player game can be when the devs do not have to cater to the multiplayer rocket jumpers out there. If I could only RIDE the dragons like my old favorite Drakan..........

btw who reads all those books?

November 21, 2011 1:32:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I read a lot of the books, but that is probably less than 10% of them.  I try to read the ones that have to do with the grand history.

November 21, 2011 2:19:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really like the performance of this game right out of the box, you can tell alot of love went in to this.

I'll bet you my last red penny that the performance of Skyrim out of the box has everything to do with which platform it was primarily made for.

Say what you will of console titles, they run and they don't crash. I think development of Skyrim started for the 360 from the ground up, and that's why it's easily the most solidly preforming game Bethesda has ever released. If Skyrim were a 100% PC game, I think it would have been much, much much less stable.

It probably would have had (even) nicer textures from the outset too.

November 21, 2011 2:47:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree, that it works well is no surprise given how it was built for consoles as well. It's actually sort of funny that "modern" games haven't really pushed the need for consumers to upgrade their hardware, thanks to consoles. I think that's something good, it means we can play the games that come out. On the other hand, no doubt it has delayed the development of new technology. I guess it's one of those "polarizing" issues, where what you think more important is highly personal and in no way definitive.

I haven't gotten my soundtrack yet from skyrim... I'm choking!

November 21, 2011 2:58:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

On the other hand, no doubt it has delayed the development of new technology. I guess it's one of those "polarizing" issues, where what you think more important is highly personal and in no way definitive.

More and more, I think what gamers really need to be satisfied these days isn't so much "new tech" as in a new engine, new rendering methods, ect....but in content creation tools. Not even necessarily for modders, but for developers. So many games have to build stuff from the ground up that it eats into a significant portion of their content development time. I think even Carmack has said something to this effect. More time and effort could be going into content generation and content pipelines and it's something you'd hope this window of a stable performance reqs would have bought developers. Doesn't seem to have happened though. Instead it seems like most games have taken the time gained by accessibility and ease of development for multiple platforms and pumped it straight back into moving up release dates. Because no one wants to fund a game that spends a year straight making content creation tools in an economy like this. They just want a title they can send to market.

And then, bizarrely, some stuff has managed to get even worse despite how much easier its gotten on developers. Re: 75% of the UIs I've had to deal with in the last 2 years, with Skyrim's being the most recent offender.

November 21, 2011 3:26:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't really get whats so bad about it.  It's slightly imperfect but it was easy to learn and doesn't hamper me in any way.

It's quick, it does the job, I leave it and get back to the game.

I wouldn't have even bought it if it didn't have a DX11 renderer coming, I sure as hell hope it fixes the random glitching I get in distant mountains and such.

November 21, 2011 5:40:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Say what you will of console titles, they run and they don't crash.

...in theory. Batman hard froze my PS3 twice a few weeks ago.

November 21, 2011 6:25:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't really get whats so bad about it.  It's slightly imperfect but it was easy to learn and doesn't hamper me in any way.

Let's see....

First and foremost its inconsistent. Meaning they put hardly any time into the PC interface to ensure it works. The same key that opens a menu often doesn't shut it, because it's only coded to care about the default keys and even then it wasn't thought through. It doesn't recognize key-rebinds across multiple instances. The precision of click boxes is atrocious. Miss an item entry by a fraction of an inch and it kicks you out of the menu immediately. Or it sticks to the last highlighted item. Lists are displayed poorly considering they KNEW you'd have 50+ items in some categories like potions and ingredients. Half of the menus have scroll functions when there's no earthly reason WHY they should have scroll functions ...and then they default to a position forcing you to scroll (I'm looking at you, inventory category list.) Gratuitous amounts of space are wasted so it could look nice and clean. With so little going on, it STILL manages to be half done.

Secondly, the Dialog UI is similarly a pain in the ass. It can't decide whether it cares what your mouse is pointing to, or what your keyboard cursor is pointing at. Meaning you'll hit the keys to scroll dialog options just to see them, THEN you have to move your freaking mouse to highlight it, or its still stuck on the last menu entry the mouse was pointing at. Why not have the keyboard cursor move the selection as well? Oh, did I mention the click boxes for those menus sometimes extend the whole length of the screen, so if your mouse is in the extreme upper right corner, it may or may not think it's pointing to the first menu item.

Thirdly, there's so much hard-coded BS in the key config that it's not flexible, either. Like arrow keys? Screw you! Like your number pad? Too bad! Like using your mouse for basic stuff like unsheathing and resheathing your weapon? Get a job, commie!

And then there's the perks window. They force you to zoom in on a perk to even read its description or requirements, and often clicking or using the arrow keys to move to the next link of the constellation takes you....into another constellation group entirely. So you have to BACK out, go BACK in and do it a second time. All the time went into making it look pretty without making sure it wasn't obnoxious to use after the 5th, 10, and 70th time. Because it's not like we might want to do both, look at the shape of the constellation while being able to see all the names. Nope. You've either got your face pressed against it, or you're browsing all categories.

Considering how good some game UIs are, Skyrim's interface feels like it was made by someone who didn't understand what playing the game was like after 20 hours.

November 21, 2011 6:34:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fantastic, apparently they made an update today that forces the game to run the launcher and wait for Steam, so you can't just run the game directly any more.

November 21, 2011 6:34:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@kantock re map.    the 3d map is actually much more versatle with the 3D map mod (actually, a set of ini edits) that allows the map to be zoomed in right to ground level.   Very cool.  No more, struggling to find a road / path up that mountain...

@nenjen  re. UI.  yes, the interface is very awkward on the (my) PC.   And not being able to 'see' what items are equiped is a pain.  Why can't threre be a place for the currntly equiped head, hand, body, feet, necklace/amulet, and ring (singular) be placed all together, so the player can 'see' what is actually obvious to the avatar? 

Is it me, or can the avatar have only one ring equiped at a time?

TESV is awesome, beautiful, really cool quests, and some fights I can't seem to win.....

I am looking forward to ....

... Wyre Bash for V to come out... even if it just automates installing / uninstalling graphic (texture) mods.

... a decent UI that fits PCs.

... a decent quest organizer.

November 21, 2011 6:39:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fantastic, apparently they made an update today that forces the game to run the launcher and wait for Steam, so you can't just run the game directly any more.

They also nuked LAA so it's no longer possible. Thanks Bethesda, big ups there.

November 21, 2011 6:41:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's just plain silly. They patched in additional DRM, as if that's going to impact pirates who aren't using the game via Steam in the first place and won't even receive the update. It does absolutely zero but inconvenience paying users.

November 21, 2011 7:02:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's done more than inconvenience me. I needed that 4gb patch to get to the level where I'd call Skyrim "stable." My performance was directly impacted by this. I don't know who they think their target audience is, but damn near anyone trying to do AAA gaming probably has more than 2 gigs of memory. The fact they didn't add it to the configuration file to automatically detect how much memory you have and configure the .exe is stupid AND lazy.

It's not like they care though. "GOTY" is on everyone's lips, so they have capital to spend on worrying about piracy.

November 21, 2011 9:44:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The Good

1. Enchanting is available to non-casters as it is not linked to known spells.

2. Dungeons all have a quick exit at the back.

3. The graphics are pretty good.

4. Shooting people from stealth makes them say stupid stuff like... "Huh? What was that?" wait a few seconds "Oh, guess it was a bat" sit down.

The Bad

1. Overall i felt the character customization way too reduced but this isn't too big a deal, oblivion wasn't that good either in this area but mods fixed it later.

2. No custom spells, instead of working to balance the custom spell system they just removed it.  Magic is just weaker than using weapons as the damage doesn't scale well.  On the other hand combat is super easy no matter what you do so i guess magic being weak isn't too bad.

3. Most dungeons/quests are unrewarding/repeditive.

4. The controls were clearly made for consul and are terrible on pc.  Clicking on one item in a list sometimes selects 1 3 or 4 rows away ;/

5. The favorite list instead of a more convenient hot bar is really lame.

6. There are several perks that remove annoying game mechanics... there mechanics just shouldn't be in the game.  Perks should be little bonuses, not things i feel like i must select on every character as to prevent myself from /wristing after a few hours with poor mechanics.

As with the other games in the series, i enjoyed it a but just after release, then it got dull as the various issues outweighed the good stuff.  I hope that as with the others, mods will solve a LOT of problems and breath new life into the game for me.

November 21, 2011 10:41:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Delmoroth: Do you want to give examples of annoying game mechanics? Nothing has really annoyed me.

Quoting kryo,
It's just plain silly. They patched in additional DRM, as if that's going to impact pirates who aren't using the game via Steam in the first place and won't even receive the update. It does absolutely zero but inconvenience paying users.
Damn, and I just today decided to buy it legitimately too. I guess that was a poor decision.

November 21, 2011 10:54:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No, it honestly wasn't. Bethesda games are solid investments by virtue of the modding fan base. You just chose a.....embarrassing time (for Bethesda and Steam) to pick it up. You're going to get your money's worth right now, unless your in that small group of people who needed LAA to get Skyrim running to their satisfaction.

Already seen people claiming they have a working LAA fix that doesn't alter the .exe too. It's kind of hack job now and not everyone can get it to work, so in another day or two it will be solidly compiled and tested.

That addresses one problem. Steam effectively having put Skyrim on DRM lockdown, there's no real legal fix for.

November 21, 2011 11:12:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, one mechanic that annoyed me is the standard TES magical merchants that can tell if any common item has been stolen from anywhere on the planet, so if you want to sell them you can either camp out in the thieves guild over and over selling a little at a time, or burn perks to fix it.

That has no effect on actual character power level as if you want you can still sell everything without it, you just have to waste time waiting. The only thing it accomplishes is to annoy the player into jumping though hoops that make no sense.  I would understand if a merchant knew something in his town was missing , but mystical knowledge that the dagger you enchanted was stolen a week ago across the world is a bit silly.

"Say... i heard a peasant who I have never heard of or met lost a butter knife that looked a lot like that one.... THIEF!"

"but sir... you just bought six other identical knives from me... what is wrong with this one..."

"I can tell... you stole it... get it away from me!"

"How about if i go craft daggers for a while so you like me more?" (craft daggers, level, buy a perk unrelated to what you did to level)

"Hello, Can i sell you this butter knife?"

"Sure... that is a fine butter knife"

"I stole it"

"Its all good man"

Another poor mechanic is the way you learn alchemy ingredients.  You can either randomly combine them over and over and pray you figure them out, or, as most people will do, tab out and look up all the combos when you are doing alchemy, then trick the game into letting you tab back in so you can learn the recipes.  I mean really.... come on.  Even using the tab out and look method takes eons to free up all the ingredient info.  To fix this issue you can sink points into a skill that does nothing but remove a poor mechanic. They should have just stuck with the oblivion method of letting you know more of the affects as you raised your skill.

Lol anyway, it may sound like I hate the game, I don't, I am just waiting for the mods to start rolling in.  That is when the real fun begins in a TES game.

November 21, 2011 11:26:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nenjin: It's not a question so much of whether I'm getting my money's worth as it is of whether I want to support the company. Skyrim is a fun game that's well made (bugs notwithstanding) which I have and will continue to sink quite a few hours into. I thus prefer to own it legally for moral reasons. I also wanted to indicate with my money that the PC is a viable market, in the hopes that Bethesda will put more focus on it in the future. But I don't want to indicate that this sort of pointless and annoying DRM is acceptable.

Delmoroth: Okay, the fence thing is a fairly good point. That's not a poor mechanic in and of itself, though, it's just a mechanic applied poorly. If I was in charge, I'd have them track theft only for items which are unique or exceed some arbitrary value threshold, and have that specific to the hold from which the item was stolen. But the notion that you can't sell stolen goods to a normal merchant unless you're a fast talker is a perfectly legitimate idea.

You can learn what ingredients do by eating them without the perk, you just learn more potential effects with it. I haven't tabbed out to look things up at all. Random combination has worked just fine for me, though. It's more fun than getting the whole alchemy system handed to you on a silver platter anyway.

November 22, 2011 10:02:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
LAA is still easily done.  You just need to run a tool instead of the game directly.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013
November 22, 2011 5:14:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Savyg,
LAA is still easily done. You just need to run a tool instead of the game directly.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

Nice job.  I was just coming to post this.  

Anyone who has consistent CTDs should try this fix.  It removed my 1/hour CTD problem completely.  I played for ~25 hours with zero CTD after making the exe LAA.  Which Bethesda then promptly screwed up.  The file linked by Savyg allows you to do LAA again (since the old method now breaks the steam wrapper and kills your .exe).  

November 22, 2011 5:41:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

By any chance, have any of your horses killed a dragon? I could swear mine did. I wasn't near him, Lydia was stuck in a rock, the dragon had almost no HP left, and then BAM! Horsed to death.

Also, since I'm running on below system specks, I'm not sure how the physics are supposed to work. Whenever I go down a hill, on hors, if there are any rocks, there's a chance the horse will lift off and die on impact. Also, while I was in the mountains, I was jumped by a pack of wolves. I was climbing as they came down. One jumped, he went over my head, and landed behind me, dead on impact. A suicidal wolf.

Is that normal for the game? 

And for the record, I run the game in 1GB of RAM, out of which at best 750MB are free. I have had no CTD so far, no fixes of any kind needed. That in itself is a miracle for Bethesda. 

November 22, 2011 6:28:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've definitely seen plenty of physics caused deaths involving mountains or walls and Fus Roh Dah or impact knockback.  

No horse heroics though.

November 22, 2011 7:43:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting kryo,

Its not just silly, its a stupid business move.  I bought my collectors edition of skyrim and was enjoying it for days with only 1 crash to desktop.  Now, with the steam update something went wrong and I was unable to load the game via steam, and i have frequent crashes to desktop.  I tried reinstalling the game and was having a hell of a time with this as well, as steam was trying to redownload it.  Naturally I thought this slow download wasn't worth it so I found how to install the game via a disc.  After that annoying learning curve, I SPENT TIME SEARCHING FOR A WAY TO ALTER SKYRIM SO THAT IT DOESN'T NEED STEAM. 

I'm a paying customer, and I've seen many sites where pirates already have steam hacked to do their bidding or they just repacked the game and cracked it.  I'm sorely tempted to just torrent the game to give me the ease of use and control that I want, that I FEEL that I paid for(i'm not afraid of the legal issues, the law is simple and defending yourself is easy and cheap, if you have educated yourself properly).   You had better believe that when I find a stable, mod friendly crack to the game i'll be torrenting it.  Steam lost my faith in one patch, a useless 3rd party only has one chance in my book.

The legal issues are irrelevant in this case, as they are outdated when faced with this new situation.  We have outdated legal practices trying to govern this industry and it fails because there is a fundamental cultural change happening since the internet came into existance and with the large new generation.  I will pleasantly wait to see some of my peers in congress and sitting on the supreme court bench years from now getting some sanity passed in the courtrooms.  I'll pleasantly wait for the baby boom generation to kick the bucket so that the turn over of ideas will be permanent and opposition to change will have all but died out.

November 22, 2011 7:44:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kryo,

The update to the game's .exe was to keep compliance with Valve's requirement for games that use Steamworks - namely, that they require the Steam Store Client.  Failing to comply with Valve's requirements would have led to the game being removed from Steam - this would have prevented new customers from even installing their game thanks to the way Steamworks functions.
Bethesda did what they were told.

Quoting Heavenfall,
...It's actually sort of funny that "modern" games haven't really pushed the need for consumers to upgrade their hardware, thanks to consoles. I think that's something good, it means we can play the games that come out...

I think the consoles have fixed an issue that was creeping up in the game's industry prior to their dominance: optimisation was optional.  A lot of PC Games were released that had high system requirements, not because they were actually demanding, but because they were so poorly optimised, designed and executed.  Developers would simply bump up the requirements to save themselves some work, and call it a day.
With consoles, it doesn't really work.  It has to run well.  Unfortunately, this has given rise to the bad PC Port - look at basically everything from Rockstar Games - where PC is treated as an afterthought, and gamers should be happy that their console overlords even allow them to still play games.
Crysis 2, for example, does impossible things with DX9.0.  And it does it because the developers were forced to utilise DX9.0 thanks to developing for consoles.
When done correctly, it gives gamers more bang for their buck and hardware that doesn't need to be replaced every three months.  In fact, Skyrim is first game I've played that I couldn't just hit "Ultra" and have it run perfectly.  It took four years for this to happen.  "Back in the day", your PC was obsolete before you opened the box.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: