The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

The Official "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" MEGAThread

Are you ready?

By on November 10, 2011 12:38:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ZehDon

Join Date 04/2009
+115

Skyrim's street date has been broken in Australia by a solid 10 hours, however - because Steam owns PC Gaming - it can't be installed until midnight.  So, until then, I get to stare at my legally purchased, worthless piece of plastic that amounts to little more than a Steam Activation code.  DRM's a real bitch.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm still very, very excited - enough so to buy it regardless of the Steam bullshit it's shackled to.  Anyone else pumped for what has the potential to be Game of the Year?

Locked Post 228 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 10, 2011 12:53:59 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Meh, I already wasn't planning on getting it right away, if I have to deal with Steam too I will probably wait a year or two until we get the gold edition with everything for less than $40 (though I don't buy many games at release anymore ). It does look very cool though, but in the meantime I still have a lot more Oblivion mods to go through.

November 10, 2011 8:24:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Waiting on Steam, like you.  I purchase very few games at launch each year, but as soon as I heard about Skyrim it was guaranteed to be one of them.  Seeing what they've done with the game only reinforced it.  

My wife conveniently wanted to go visit one of her college friends this weekend.  "You should absolutely go!  Have a good time!" 

I've already informed my classmates that I'm "out of town" this weekend and unavailable for group meetings.  

November 10, 2011 9:19:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I dont buy games before release. I wait a few days and see what happens. Recent examples of games that I havent bought on release (that I consider buying later) are Heroes VI (buggy), Sword of the Stars II (buggy and incomplete), Dawn of Magic (MMO done differently, but not well) and Stronghold 3 (buggy).

I expect bugs in games, and can live with some patching. Recently I think that many games have been unplayable on release, so now I am wary.

I WILL buy the next installment of Kings Bounty on release though. They have earned my trust!

Back to Skyrim. Will look at feedback and consider buying it in a while

November 10, 2011 9:28:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'll probably be buying it day 1...and I didn't even think Oblivion was all that.

November 10, 2011 10:36:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll wait till it's cheap on a sale.  By that time mods will have made it more fun.

But from what I've heard..it isn't much of an upgrade over oblivion.  The rendering still has that dead feeling, characters are lifeless, ai just as bad, UI worse.  But I'm biased against it, so..

November 10, 2011 10:55:49 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Day one purchase incoming from me.  Preordering and preloading immediately after work today. 

edit - for anyone that is getting this on console, you can still order it today on amazon and you'll get it tomorrow (at no additional cost) and a $10 credit for a future game purchase.   I'm getting it on pc, so not really relevant to me.

November 10, 2011 11:03:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It figures that the time I get a review copy of a new Elder Scrolls game, the PC goes up and dies. I'm going to try and run it on this thing, but I doubt it'll run. Kinda makes me wish it was made on the old Gamebryo tech, that actually ran on a cardboard box filled with hamsters.

November 10, 2011 1:42:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

About to play my copy for the first time.  I watched the DTOID review to get a better idea of what to expect.  The same sensitive friendly fire AI issues as in Oblivion, but nothing that can't be patched/modded out.  That's the only real beef I've seen anyone give this game.

Quoting Windexglow,

But from what I've heard..it isn't much of an upgrade over oblivion.  The rendering still has that dead feeling, characters are lifeless, ai just as bad, UI worse.  But I'm biased against it, so..

Exactly why nobody will put credit in that statement.  All the reviewers, fan or critic alike, have given this game nothing but love.

November 10, 2011 2:22:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Considering it's an entirely new engine with flowing water, snow accumulation, and other relatively pointless additions that exist just to look cool, I can't see comparisons of the rendering to the predecessor being fair.

The AI not being able to jump up on rocks and shit was a real bummer though, if they haven't greatly improved on that...

November 10, 2011 2:55:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm in Battlefield 3 mode (which I suck at). But I plan to get this during the holidays.

November 10, 2011 5:00:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I'm in Battlefield 3 mode (which I suck at). But I plan to get this during the holidays.

Chief, you remember how a while ago you sold Impulse for those truck-loads of money we talked about? You don't have to wait for the Holidays to afford it

November 10, 2011 5:01:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

Skyrim's street date has been broken in Australia by a solid 10 hours, however - because Steam owns PC Gaming - it can't be installed until midnight.  So, until then, I get to stare at my legally purchased, worthless piece of plastic that amounts to little more than a Steam Activation code.  DRM's a real bitch.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm still very, very excited - enough so to buy it regardless of the Steam bullshit it's shackled to.  Anyone else pumped for what has the potential to be Game of the Year?

Man you know it . Feel lucky you at least have the disk in your hands though. I can't get mine until the midnight release tonight at my local Gamestop. Seven more hours to go....*sigh*

November 10, 2011 5:24:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

preloading now... forgot that I pre-ordered this on steam sometime back.... 1.1%

Me = wonders if its midnight EST or what for the unlock... oh well.  Taking the day off work tomorrow to nerd it up.

November 10, 2011 6:23:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

According to Steam, it looks like its actually unlocking at midnight EST, which is rare (usually its PST).  The unlock times have been known to slip a bit though, so who knows.

November 10, 2011 6:55:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I got some fixes for you gentlemen.  The PC version isn't 100% fully optimized (mainly, in terms of controls), but despite the bitching you might see, it is fixable without mods.  Here are some other common fixes that you might encounter:

Sound:  Alot of people are reporting staticy, and glitchy sound.  It's pretty easy to fix.  Just change your sound output to ~44Khz @ 24bit.  You can adjust it in the sound options in the control panel.  Screenshots if you're windows stupid: http://i.imgur.com/IOicc.jpg

Quick note:  For some reason, my creative sound options weren't adjusting it right.  You'd think it'd override whatever is set in windows, but I had to do it through the windows option.  Never knew this.

Control fixes:  The sensitivity of the mouse, by default, is pretty shitty.  Doing some of this will help you fix it:

-It's been recommended to turn off vsync.  You can do it through the skyrim.ini in your my games folder (located in my documents).  Put "iPresentInterval=0" under the [display] field (without the quotes, of course).

-Turning off mouse accelaration also helps.  In the same folder, but in the skyrimprefs.ini, put "bMouseAcceleration=0" under your [controls] field.

-Manually tune your mouse sensitivity to what you like.  You can do this in the skyrimprefs.ini file under the [controls] field.  Adjust the "fMouseHeadingSensitivity" to what seems to work best for you (the differences won't show until you're actually in game.  The main menu mouse sensitivity is the same).  I believe the default is 0.0125.  I adjusted mine to 0.0325.  Works great on mine end like that, but it's up to you.

Other tweaks:  Some of the old gamebyro ini tweaks will still work.  You can find an ongoing test of them here:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1255692-skyrim-pc-ini-and-console-tweaks/

On a side note: fuck Steam.  There was no point in releasing a single player game with using a DRM that has a mixed history like that.  If the game had multiplayer, I'd have a different take on it.

November 10, 2011 7:33:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting XATHOS,

On a side note: fuck Steam.  There was no point in releasing a single player game with using a DRM that has a mixed history like that.  If the game had multiplayer, I'd have a different take on it.

???

Steam's DRM doesnt have a mixed history.  Its overwhelming popular, and users dont mind it in general.  They certainly like it MUCH better than the realistic alternatives (like what Ubisoft does or SecuROM).  In what ways has Steam's DRM been negative (other than the fact that some people hate all DRM)?

And people pirate single player games.  A lot.  So expecting a game not to have DRM just because its single player is just not realistic. 

November 10, 2011 7:42:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting XATHOS,
I got some fixes for you gentlemen.  The PC version isn't 100% fully optimized (mainly, in terms of controls), but despite the bitching you might see, it is fixable without mods.  Here are some other common fixes that you might encounter:

Running XP or what?  I haven't had to do anything like that in years.

November 10, 2011 8:45:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Steam's DRM doesnt have a mixed history.  Its overwhelming popular, and users dont mind it in general.  They certainly like it MUCH better than the realistic alternatives (like what Ubisoft does or SecuROM).

It does have a mixed history.   If you want something that's good for users: good ole games.

In what ways has Steam's DRM been negative (other than the fact that some people hate all DRM)?

It's reliant on an external program for no reason.  Steam has also been known to fuck up on updates.  I don't feel like having to redownload everything because it fucks up.

Running XP or what?  I haven't had to do anything like that in years.

I have an XP partition for legacy support, but I haven't ran that in over 2 years (since I upgraded).  I don't know why, I'm thinking it's because of the compliancy with 7.

November 10, 2011 11:05:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

50 minutes!  *pacov tries to keep himself busy and awake*

November 10, 2011 11:07:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting XATHOS,

It does have a mixed history.   If you want something that's good for users: good ole games
???

So the only thing "mixed" about it according to you is that it exists.  I see.

Listen, you can choose to make up your own world where games dont need DRM.  Where publishers are willing to get destroyed because 90%+ of the copies of their games are pirated (which is exactly what DRM free game makers have publicly claimed).  But here in the real world, game designers have to do something to try and cut down and delay piracy, and Steam's DRM system is a very good system for doing that.  For both the gamers and the devs.

GoG generally only has games that are so old that they have been pirated to death anyway.  Thats usually the only reason they can do what they do.  And when they do work with new games, its often not a great experience.  For example, the GOG experience with The Witcher 2 was a huge mess compared to Steam at release from what I recall. 

November 10, 2011 11:24:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anyone see a good torrent yet?   

Can't wait to play all this hard work for free!

November 10, 2011 11:32:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Anyone see a good torrent yet?   

Can't wait to play all this hard work for free!

Either you're trying to be funny or trying to get banned.

Not a good tactic for the first option.

November 10, 2011 11:34:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've preordered a PC version with the cd...box.   Supposedly, it will be available tomorrow morning.  We will see.....

You all on steam.. have fun.... I'm going to sleep....  looking forward to trading info, stories, etc., over the weekend.....

November 10, 2011 11:45:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

10 minutes!

November 11, 2011 12:00:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Krazikarl,
Steam's DRM doesnt have a mixed history. Its overwhelming popular, and users dont mind it in general. They certainly like it MUCH better than the realistic alternatives (like what Ubisoft does or SecuROM). In what ways has Steam's DRM been negative (other than the fact that some people hate all DRM)?

I've only used Steam once, and that was for Empire: Total War. It was not a smooth experience. For some reason despite supposedly having the game on the disk, I had to wait hours to download something (maybe a patch, maybe the whole game again, I don't remember), found the game had all sorts of technical problems at launch (granted not steams fault, but it didn't help things), and when I decided to give up on it I eventually resorted to having my computer block it as a startup program to prevent it from taking system resources all the time (granted impulse does that too but it makes it easy to disable that feature and I can uninstall it and still play my games).

This December I may try my hand at playing Empire again as I would hope all the big issues should be fixed by now (if not they never will), and perhaps I'll find Steam as improved as well. But at the time I was not thrilled with Steam as a program to say the least (I was already using Impulse at the time with no complaints, so I'm not just against such systems either).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time: