The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Practice Tourney - Sunday at Noon EST

By on February 4, 2011 1:10:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

pacov

Join Date 02/2008
+183

Ok guys - sorry for the haste on this, but I need to head off to sleep and I'm looking to try to get a practice tourney going ASAP.  The tourney will happen THIS WEEK on Sunday at 12PM EST (2/6/2011) - (a more friendly time for many folks in different time zones). 

Here are the quick tourney rules (side note - its a practice tourney, so I am setting all of the rules):

• This is an all welcome tournament - play for fun.
  • The tourney will be 2v2
  • 1 player may choose any DG they want.  The other player MUST choose either sedna/QoT/da/reg.  DOUBLES ARE ALLOWED. 
  • Single elimination (you lose once and you are out)
  • We will use brackets (whoever is at the top of the auto generated bracket will be on light side - whoever is on the bottom is on dark)
  • Light side must pick their dg's and ready up 1st (this rule is kind of crap, but we are using it for this tourney)
  • Map is cataract using default settings
  • All players must use uberfix 1.03 (you can download from here: http://www.box.net/shared/qf7lhj1zjl)
  • 1 player from the winning team MUST upload the replay
  • ALL PLAYERS MUST REGISTER USING www.JeeLounge.com - you CANNOT participate if you do not create an account here (other details below)
  • You must be available when the tourney starts (Sunday NOON EST - I will let you folks know ASAP)

Here are some more details about the whole JeeLounge deal.  We have a guy that's been in the community for some time and is a solid player (IamKira).  He indicated in another thread and to me privately that he is tied to a site that could GREATLY simplify organizing tournaments, etc, for us.  As getting tourney's successfully completed has been a huge pain for us in the past, I'm all ears for new ideas.  Anyway, I checked out his site and I think this will be excellent for the community.  So, this test tournament is primarily to try out the new system and see if things work well for us.  If so, then we'll be using JeeLounge going forward for all community tournaments (and the next few tournaments will all carry a decent cash prize (and future ones will likely be sponsored by stardock).  So, here's what you need to do if you want to participate.

You will not need to repeat the jeelounge steps again for future tournaments once you have registered. 

And last, I can auto-assign teams if needed.  I could put everyone that registers into a team.  So, please follow the steps if you want to participate.  I'd appreciate everyone making an effort to register so we can test this new system out quickly and get on with planning some cash prize tournaments.  Reply here if you have questions and to tell us if you have formed a team (again, you MUST register on the site AND tell me that you already formed a team.)

Here are the registered teams:

• Pacov/Zen_God
  • renz/or-chin
  • omg_in1/nnnils
  • iamKira/ppapanek
  • darkliath/insidious intent
  • Jonn_Spb_rus/sazonov85

Pitch in and help out - I hope many of you can join us in the practice tournament and just play for fun!  We can play for pride/butt whopping in the next one.  For now, I'd really appreciate anyone that is willing to register and help us test this out.  Thanks!

Locked Post 117 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 6, 2011 11:42:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I need a partner, im in lagwars vent. 

j

February 6, 2011 11:49:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

jongalt will be taking in1's place.

February 6, 2011 11:55:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay, we got two issues sorted at once. Jongalt will be your IN1 tonight, ladies and gentlemen, so our team's name should be 'OMG, it's nnnils and Jongalt!" Anyways, I've checked the guys in. Have fun everyone, I'm off to work. Hope to see some crazy double Sedna vs double QoT replays  

Also, hope the real tourney won't take place on Sunday... But we'll discuss it later.

PS: Big thanks to Jon!

February 6, 2011 12:01:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Renz/Or-chin - YOU NEED TO CHECK IN

http://www.jeesports.com/tournament/participants/5

February 6, 2011 1:44:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey,looks like my friend renzo is not gonna show up. I am sure something important came up or he miscalculated the time zone. I was 10-15 minutes late as well due to over sleeping. Sorry for the inconvenience.

February 6, 2011 2:03:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Orcun-,
Hey,looks like my friend renzo is not gonna show up. I am sure something important came up or he miscalculated the time zone. I was 10-15 minutes late as well due to over sleeping. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's ok - I think we learned we need a slightly longer duration for check in time anyway... all of this is a learning experience.

Zen and I are waiting for

• Jonn_Spb_rus/sazonov85
  • No idea if they are on or around or what.

February 6, 2011 2:07:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

tourney replays feed: http://www.jeeplays.com/replay/search/1/event_replays

February 6, 2011 2:09:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

playing final match of tourney.

February 6, 2011 2:49:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here is the result page:  http://www.jeesports.com/tournament/brackets/5

I'd appreciate hearing anyone's feedback about using the new site, etc.  I'll provide some feedback of my own soon (off to plan for superbowl stuff).  The thing I liked best was that everyone that checked in was pretty damn prompt  in gettting their matches in.  Zen and I finish game 1 and have a 10 minute wait for the next game.  Nice.  Then jon/sazon, who ended up with 2 free play games (eg no one to fight in the bracket due to 5 teams), were in our game and ready to play about 10 minutes after zen and I finished game 2.  In short, things went incredibly smoothly on that end and it was very refreshing not to have to piss about hoping people will play and so on.

February 6, 2011 4:00:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Overall things went fine once the tourney got started.

i think phase was prior to the tourney, the whole team set up thing etc...

i shall write few guides about this. here are the few step bu step guides/faqs i have in mind:

1. creating a tournament (i'll describe all form fields etc...)

2. Creating a Clan (straight forward but still)

3. Creating a team and Team Leader capabilities/

4. Joining a Clan / Joining a Team

5. Leaving a Clan / Leaving a Team

Best
    iamKira

February 6, 2011 4:05:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One more thing. for those who use IRC. there is an JeeSports IRC on Quakenet. very handy to be logged there during events.

February 6, 2011 4:18:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok, so about this whole system. I think it is great, but requires someone to explain few things (haven't checked forums there, maybe there are explanations on how to form a team, join tournament, how it works, etc). Also about those team formings... At the moment I still don't know, but those people, who form a "clan" should be available earlier as to create a team, because at the last 30 minutes it might be too late OR of course those people could form clans themselves and avoid this thing (lots of 2-3 people clans?  ). This of course leads to delayed check in, which in my opinion is about fine. Maybe it could be available 30 minutes earlier, but I understand it as - I came, and I am ready to play. Coming 2 hours ago or so, even if I at that moment think, I'd be available, later because of something urgent, I may not be available.

Then... NEED TO ADVERTISE THIS MOOOORE!

I saw that just showing a link ("why would I need to type and go to some unknown JeeLounge.com?"), telling about tourney ("what is that? When will it be? How to get in there? How to get a teammate?") is not enough. Especially for other language talking players (got russians in mind, because there are mostly of them, who don't talk English well). Huge thanks to IN1 for writing those steps, because made my life easier in explaining this to someone. however, it's in one of the posts, so not very visible. Maybe people, who already did this, could explain this to new ones, but still, I think it needs to be in the OP (with all details), because when time limit comes... it's not good to try to understand all of this.

I tried ~5 hours before the tournament. To just simply open the host (" Join 2v2 Tourney, chat (no game)" ) and tell people about this. Some may be blinded and ask you to start the game some may ask you how to join the tourney, and you explain this to them. In the end out of this one more team registered (advertised maybe for an hour or two, because my connection still wasn't perfect).

Well anyway. Even though I played a very laggy match and lost it - it was fun

February 6, 2011 5:05:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If I understand it right, I think you need to be in a group (well group/clan/club - whatever).  Then once you are in that group, ANYONE can form teams.  So for instance, I think that you could have made your our 2 person team from within the teamdg group.  You MUST be a member of that group in order to register for tournaments.  Anyway, my theory is to get EVERYONE into 1 overall group (just think of it as a worldwide demigod players group) and from there, anyone could make a team.  That simplifies things, imo.  Also, I might be completely wrong, so hopefully Kira can set us straight.

Anyway, if its useful, I'll recap the steps I followed to get things up and running (to some degree, anyway):

• Create a club (teamDG)
    • Have people add me as a friend
    • Send invites to everyone that has friended me to join teamDG)
    • I setup the tournament then (just a few pages of settings to configure)
    • Then, I personally created teams for everyone that told me they would play
    • Then, those players that had joined a team needed to register for the tournament (just 1 person from the team - possibly the captain)
    • Then, 30 minutes before the tourney started, folks had to check in or they wouldn't even be added to the brackets

I can configure when registration opens and how long before the tourney starts that the teams need to check in.  I think the 30 minute window is good so that if you just sign in around then, you are good to go.  If we bump it to an hour, folks might be doing other things and delay the start... but we can figure out what's best. 

February 6, 2011 5:49:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

About Renz: it's weird. He pm'ed me 15 minutes before Jon agreed to be my alt... That happened after I checked my team in, I think. Hope everything is fine with him, no force majeure involved.

Regarding the site itself (can comment on this, since I was managing the 'bureaucratic' part). Actually, I think the site works smoothly and is quite intuitive, for the most part. What I didn't like was the strange restricted navigation/double authorization system: separate logging in with the same login/pwd needed to enter JeeSports from JeeLounge. Moreover, after you log into JeeSports, it takes you to your lounge, even if the entry point was tournament's page.

Concerning Russian speaking players: I can post this guide separately + add more info, if Julia thinks there is much interest. I know that Akumrise and Drakon4ik, both very solid players, were interested, but couldn't make it because of family matters. Dreamcatcher wanted to play with EX-Sharigan, who was N/A for some reason, and Lols_SeaWolf was feeling he's not in tourney shape this time  However, all these folks can read English just fine. I've advertised the tourney to every decent Russian-speaking (and non-Russian speaking) player I know, but most of them politely declined the offer due to short notice + time constraints.

What I think must be done next time to increase participation rate/smoothen rough edges:

(1) Fast strictly scheduled tourney is a great idea, as long as potential participants know WHEN EXACTLY it will happen. I know last moment decision regarding Sunday evening (my evening, that is) caught me a bit off guard with virtually no time to adapt to it or even to practice 2v2 with nnnils (which was a shame, since Kira/ppap were interested and online). Since mature people constitute the lion's share of this community, we should take into account the simple fact: real-life commitments (family, work, etc.) will always take precedence over DG, and the only way to mitigate this is by somewhat earlier notice. In other words, "either Fri evening or Sun noon" announced mid-week is not good enough and ultimately confusing. I suppose a tourney announced 10-14 days before it actually happens should be adequate.

(2) A convenient user's guide to JeeSports/JeeLounge must be published on the forums. It's frustrating enough trying to guide 3-4 people simultaneously via in-game pms. I assume Kira & Pacov should document the whole process, after which I shall be able to produce the Russian version of the guide. 

February 6, 2011 6:30:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am probably not the best person to say if everything is intuitive as i just spent so much time on the site

That said, i feel everything is quite simple but there are indeed many options.

I will write a guide as suggested.

Quoting OMG_pacov,
    Anyway, my theory is to get EVERYONE into 1 overall group (just think of it as a worldwide demigod players group) and from there, anyone could make a team.  That simplifies things, imo.  Also, I might be completely wrong, so hopefully Kira can set us straight.

In response to one of your comment pacov, i'd like to confirm that only the Clan manager can create teams within a clan.
    So basically as the manager of the clan teamDG you have to create all the teams.
    When creating a team you set someone as the Team Leader.
    the Team Leader is the only person able to sign up the team to a competition (tournament etc...), report the team result and set the team roster on the match details page...

For the rest the steps you described are correct.

What I didn't like was the strange restricted navigation/double authorization system: separate logging in with the same login/pwd needed to enter JeeSports from JeeLounge. Moreover, after you log into GeeSports, it takes youto your lounge, even if the entry point was tournament's page.

--> yes the account is the saame but you still have to login. Trust me i fight for this one but for security reason we just can't allow cross domain single signon.
    --> the JeeSports login and back to Jeelounge is strange. can you try again and tell me if that is still the case. i cant reproduce this

Best
    iamKira

February 6, 2011 6:53:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

--> the JeeSports login and back to Jeelounge is strange. can you try again and tell me if that is still the case. i cant reproduce this

Sorry, my description was imprecise. What happens is: (1) I try to surf to the tourney page, for example: http://www.jeesports.com/tournament/brackets/5; (2) tourney page is displayed, but I get a JeeSports login screen in the top right corner, regardless of where I came from (even if I'm currently logged into JeeLounge!); (3) as soon as I enter my login/pwd, I'm redirected to the JeeSports main screen with 'PC', 'Playstation', 'XBOX', 'Wii' planets and stuff.

February 6, 2011 7:08:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting OMG__IN1,

Sorry, my description was imprecise. What happens is: (1) I try to surf to the tourney page, for example: http://www.jeesports.com/tournament/brackets/5; (2) tourney page is displayed, but I get a JeeSports login screen in the top right corner, regardless of where I came from (even if I'm currently logged into JeeLounge!); (3) as soon as I enter my login/pwd, I'm redirected to the JeeSports main screen with 'PC', 'Playstation', 'XBOX', 'Wii' planets and stuff.

okay i understand. this shouldnt happen. we'll fix tomorrow

February 6, 2011 8:20:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And just a heads up all - you can certainly create another group if you want so that you have more direct control.  For instance, if we have another tourney and I'm not available, then you can just create your own group (or clan) and then invite whoever you want to join you.  From there, you could create your own team and register without requiring assistance from anyone else.  For instance, as I wasn't around when dark was trying to get teamed up with her partner, she chatted with kira, joined his group, and kira assigned them to a team and they could register for the tourney.  As a result, now dark is a part of the groups teamDG and fun for glory. 

Anyway, something to keep in mind.  I envision us all using a parent group, like team dg, but we can all create our own groups for more control, etc.  If we stick with a centralized parent group, then it should be pretty easy for everyone that signs up to join that and that should make things very easy to see who from the dg community is using the site. 

*snip* what in1 said

I think the sweet spot for international tourneys will likely be Saturday's around noon est.  I think that probably takes care of many conflicts and for most, its not too late and not too early.  The goal was getting this test tourney up and running asap so we could learn more about the system and see if it will work for us.  I think it will work for us and I know that I, at the very least, learned a lot about the system. 

I'm debating whether or not to have another practice tourney or schedule a real one 2 weeks out or so.  Decisions, decisions.  If we have another practice one, we can increase the exposure and hopefully end up with a nice turn out for the cash prize ones.  In either case, I'll be handling the rules for the first cash 1 and (if we have it) the next practice one for expediency sake.  After that, we'll turn rule making back over to the community and hopefully come up with some nice variety.  At the least, I enjoy allowing for the possibility of doubles in this tourney - and I'm really glad one team gave that a go. 

February 6, 2011 9:29:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sorry i missed this guys, I havent been getting much work lately and got called out to a job over the last 2 days, so i couldnt say no. Hope it went well!

February 6, 2011 9:35:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Exxcentric,
    Sorry i missed this guys, I havent been getting much work lately and got called out to a job over the last 2 days, so i couldnt say no. Hope it went well

Glad you are finding work, at the very least

February 6, 2011 9:44:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ty, it wasnt much to brag about, i had to climb down a damn drainage system (rainwater) and hand shovel out 150m of blocked pipe with a damn hand trowel (it filled up with sand during the floods and was causing problems). Not fun -- i think i would have preferred the tourney tbh lol

February 7, 2011 12:53:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If we have another practice one, we can increase the exposure and hopefully end up with a nice turn out for the cash prize ones.  In either case, I'll be handling the rules for the first cash 1 and (if we have it) the next practice one for expediency sake.  After that, we'll turn rule making back over to the community and hopefully come up with some nice variety.  At the least, I enjoy allowing for the possibility of doubles in this tourney - and I'm really glad one team gave that a go. 

Well, actually I think another practice tourney is a great idea. Maybe a 3v3 practice tourney, this time? Some players replied with: "2v2... Uh..." this time. 3v3 has a generally wider appeal, I think.

Regarding the rules: if we maintain the current set, I feel the hardcore pro players will be more than tempted to go UB+Sed for serious matches, and that's about it. I'm sure that's what Renz/Orcun intended to play (well, mb they wanted to play double Reg, I have no insider info -- just an educated guess on my part ). Now, hypothetically, if Renz and Orcun ready up w/ UB+Sed, what combo do Zen/Pacov go? A rhetorical question. Personally, I think Rook+QoT are a good competitive combo with some huge advantages mid game, but 1 interrupt really hurts them later game, when everyone begins to contest portals. About those doubles: I'd love to play double Sed w/ one of the good Sedna guys, btw. 4 interrupts is l33t during later game phase and you won't be a great serial killer in a skilled 2v2 anyway...

My opinion is for 3v3 we should maintain the 2nd community tourney point-based rules, with one change only: if we are doing Cataract we must assign 4 pts to UB. A number of playable combos with him will be very limited, and that's exactly the point. You want to have an invincible killing machine late game? Np, but risk losing it anyway by having some weak-ass teammates. I understand that will lead to a prominence of Rook-centric, and probably also Oak-centric and Erb-centric combos, but I can see pros playing several comparable combinations, not the good old UB+Sed+Occ every game.

February 7, 2011 2:16:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm debating whether or not to have another practice tourney

Another practice tourney would be great.

February 7, 2011 11:14:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Btw, I am up for another tourney this coming weekend

February 7, 2011 11:59:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I want to play!!, but you guys will destroy me

Iwill register as son as I get home tonite. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: