The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[MOD] EREBUS

By on December 14, 2009 6:41:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

--MASTER THREAD CLICK HERE--

-----------------------------------------------------
# Erebus
-----------------------------------------------------

Version 1.21

Bite
- re-applied the armor debuff
- fixed tooltip

Bat Swarm III
- added description based on my buff to the ability
    - "Affect radius is increased." (by 2)
- reduced mana cost to 1125 from 1275.

version 1.2

Coven
- changed number of minions to 4/7/10

Bat Swarm III
- dmg increased to 650
- dmg radius increased to 6 from 3 (dont confuse this with range)

>> Its mana was just not worth the minor dmg increase. This last level
now has the potential to stop creep waves late game.

Bite
- removed the armor debuff from all levels

Coven
- the minion cap reduced to 5/7/9 (1 less minion per level)

Death Effect
- increased life steal to 20% from 10%
- increased effect radius to 20 from 10.

+32 Karma | 75 Replies
December 17, 2009 1:50:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think mist needs to be nerfed. Erebus needs it as it is today or he will be cannon fodder for example UB. Acctually I think you should refrain from nerfing as much as possible. And instead focus on buffing the weaker Demigods
I disagree. I think that misting off spits is fine, I also think that sitting in mist for 10 seconds to avoid a wave of burst damage is fine. What I don't think is fine is warping to a locked flag, casting stun to lock safely, getting interrupted, then misting until stun is back and repeating indeifnitely.

As a tool to avoid combat completely I think it should be changed. Another example is the most recent mist build in the strategy guide section right now, where EB spends more time out of combat invulnerable than in combat. The idea of running into someone's base with the intention to mist for literally 5-8 minutes straight is, to me at least, silly. Hilarious, but still pretty silly.

The only nerf I would want to see is a 10-15 second cap or a slightly upwards scaling mana cost with higher ranks, and that still wouldn't affect the endless locking strategy (I think that's more of a cataract problem than an EB problem, which isn't to say it won't work on prison, etc.).

Nerfing shield is nerfing a common, robust strategy that's a part of pretty much every game and is critical to oak's gameplay. I agree that the invulnerable locks are silly and I'd like to see them removed, but preventing new spits, snares, and interrupts mid-field so that a fragile player can actually escape is not something I want to see go.

However, nerfing the more extreme 30 seconds to 5 minute mist sessions is nerfing a niche and uncommon spec which seeks to avoid combat completely. At least shield is about getting into a fight, duking it out, and then escaping what would otherwise be your death. Mist is the opposite, it's sitting on a portal indefinitely because it's literally impossible to ever send you home. If they come and fight, you mist. If they stay, they generate zero exp while you farm the portal. Your mist kills the weaker waves an dthen the priests/monks/giants stand still and fight your nightwalkers and eventually fall to the mist as well. There's no solution there for a defender.

For an oak to chain lock a portal he's either gotta be able to kill you outright or make a complete rotation from crystal to portal flag every 45 seconds. He can teleport one way, but he's gotta walk the other. In extreme situations like when he gets the journeyman's treads it can be pretty much impossible to stop him, as he'll warp in and then run out with shield active, but before that point there is a combat solution to the situation.

I could go on and on about this, because for regulus to have enough helms to perma-mist he's gotta spend so much gold that Oak will probably have his boots, but then you guys want to nerf low rank shield but keep high rank shield intact, so your nerfs wouldn't impact the boots strategy anyway... as you can see it's easy to go in circles talking about it.

So I'll stop my rambling and just say that there are a few extreme, abusive uses of mist that I think should be removed. A 10-15 second cap on it would fix them. Also it's worth pointing out that at the heart of both of these issues is the fact that there's just no counter to locks and that locking portals ends games so easily.Dancing around the issue with ranom nerfs is probably the worst solution in the end, and it should be addressed directly.

Personally I don't think you should be able to lock out an enemy portal for 45 seconds, it's just too much. Neutral flags are fine in my book, as is locking your own portals, but personally I would enjoy this game more if you fight from the start of a game to the end, instead of avoiding combat completely 20 minutes in and doing portal locking runs... I think the cap lock nerf did very little to affect late game portal locking because by that point everyone has silence, mass charm, shield, deep freeze, boulder roll, etc. to protect the full cast anyway. However, I do realize that's just my preference and it's not going to change.

December 17, 2009 9:17:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nerfing shield is nerfing a common, robust strategy that's a part of pretty much every game and is critical to oak's gameplay.

u claim this, but you say erebus cant have this same strategy? Thats completely a matter of opinion. Erebus just has a different way of doing what oak is able to do.

u also say that an erebus uses mist as a tool to completely avoid battle. My response to this... find a new build coz ur only disadvantaging urself by limiting erebus' true potential. He may be able to avoid fights by doing this but its completely useless coz ur unable to move while in this form.

also shield is far more superior than mist coz shield completely negates dmg from all sources while being able to move and use skills. The versatility shield provides is much greater than any other defensive skill in the game. Mist may make you untargetable but ur stuck in the same position until you choose to move or swarm out of there. Even if you swarm out, ur not completely out of danger.

BTW, i dont think we'll ever agree with each other horse (we see things just way too differently), unless we thoroughly test these changes made, which in all honesty i dont think my nerf to 3rd level shield will have much impact on his strategy.

Think of it like this, do you think its fair if the whole team of the opposing side attempts to capture their portal back THAT oak on his own should be able to just come in at level 7, shield it up without the fear of being stunned and continue to chain lock their portal? My answer... this unique ability should only be available later game. Just think about it and try to see it where im coming from. Im reading what you have to say and agree with some points you mention but overall, i rlly do think my nerf to lvl 3 shield is necessary. As a compramise im adding the health gain benefit to lvl3 shield also.

December 17, 2009 9:31:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

also shield is far more superior than mist coz shield completely negates dmg from all sources while being able to move and use skills.
That's an absurd statement, they're incomparable. One can be cast on other players, allows you full use of abilities (actually the only reason why I think anyone has a problem with it is because portals work), and has a significant cooldown. The other has a minor cooldown, does AoE damage, provides passive healing, and can be used to bridge cooldowns between a warp ability.

The only things they have in common are that they cost mana and you can't be damaged during them, but that's like saying spit and fireball are the same because they cost mana and deal damage.

You spam one and you save the other until the most critical moment. My complaint about Mist is different than your complaint about shield because I have a very specific issue with it, which is misting indefinitely on a portal and chaining stun cooldowns for protected locks. Mist has many legit uses, and I don't think capping it at 10-15 seconds would negate them.

Your primary but unstanted issue with shield is that it lets people teleport safely, but your nerf has a sweeping effect, the biggest collateral damage is that it can't protect against spit anymore, but there's other utilities that would be lost as well.

You're right, I'm not going to agree with you on shield, though I'm not all that opinionated about mist. I don't think it gets extremely abusive until absurd gold levels anyway, I could take or leave it, the only reason why I suggested it is that YOU made a mod nerfing EB and I think that Bite is a critical skill for him and that if you're going to nerf him you should start elsewhere.

December 17, 2009 9:34:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Think of it like this, do you think its fair if the whole team of the opposing side attempts to capture their portal back THAT oak on his own should be able to just come in at level 7, shield it up without the fear of being stunned and continue to chain lock their portal?
Yes, I do, because it means they were just standing on the portal and didn't attempt to guard the lane or the towers leading to it. Either something has gone terribly awry if a whole team is sitting on their own portal at levels 7-9, or the're doing 3v2s over and over in a lane and they're being punished for it. Why do you feel he should be able to do that at level 10?

Regardless I think it's a cap lock problem, not an Oak or Mass Charm or Deep Freeze or Silence problem.

*edit* Lemm go on to say that it's not even until cats that portal locking is really all that out of hand, at which point you would have rank IV shield anyway and I really think all the AoE cap lock protection methods are problematic. I don't want to see them all nerfed, so why not just finally fix locks?

December 17, 2009 10:20:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

that probably something else im gonna address... I might increased the cooldown time on Cap locks.

Why do you feel he should be able to do that at level 10?

Why i think the stun immunity should take effect at level 10 is because:

- It doesnt make lvl 4 shield completely redundant. As it stands now, you only need to invest in the first 3 levels of shield, only because lvl 3 shield is powerful enough to carry out these  game breaking capabilities (consistantly chain locking portals).

- Its when majority of other demigods become enough of a threat. At level 7, not many are strong enough to too even compare themselves to such a strong tier of this type of defensive skill.

- Lower levels dont provide so much gold upon death so the impact isnt as great as being defeated at level 10+. Thats why stun immunity seems more appropriate at this time of the game.

- Shield at lvl 7 negates all dmg for 6 secs which gives plenty of time to retreat or have a team mate come and assist you in ur escape (seeing it is a team game). Meaning, at that point of a match it can mean the difference between life and death (which is the way it should be early-mid game), not the ability to potentially finish a game.

December 17, 2009 10:50:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

chainlocking with oak?? well thats not possible against a good team. either he has to run in and can be killed or he has to run out. its not like with erebus who just stays there forever.

December 17, 2009 11:19:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

- It doesnt make lvl 4 shield completely redundant. As it stands now, you only need to invest in the first 3 levels of shield, only because lvl 3 shield is powerful enough to carry out these  game breaking capabilities (consistantly chain locking portals).
I feel locking ports at 7 is annoying, but hardly gamebreaking the way it is with cats and giants. I would really like to see a better effort made to combat chain locking rather than a character specific nerf.
Its when majority of other demigods become enough of a threat. At level 7, not many are strong enough to too even compare themselves to such a strong tier of this type of defensive skill.
Everyone has their full compliment of attacks and decent mana regen by that point. I don't really agree, I find the game takes off at 7, not 10. Perhaps that's just because I play UB and Rook a lot, and both of them really get going at that point (though really level 8 is when rook starts to get crazy, but I don't think Oak gets good till 8 either).
- Lower levels dont provide so much gold upon death so the impact isnt as great as being defeated at level 10+. Thats why stun immunity seems more appropriate at this time of the game.
Doesn't that make it less appropriate? It's of less conseuqence earlier, so depriving the other team of kills is less harmful.
- Shield at lvl 7 negates all dmg for 6 secs which gives plenty of time to retreat or have a team mate come and assist you in ur escape (seeing it is a team game). Meaning, at that point of a match it can mean the difference between life and death (which is the way it should be early-mid game), not the ability to potentially finish a game.
Again, I don't feel a portal cap when only priests are out is a game ender, and nor do I feel you should be letting a level 7 Oak waltz through a lane unharassed.

I think that this thread is working towards the real problem here, and I think it's really summarized by what Frogboy said in a game a month or two ago. He was on our team and I said I was going to go for the portal cap and asked him to assist. We were I believe level 6 or 7, and I don't recall if we had an Oak... He told me it wasn't worth it. I responded by telling him it gives the whole team gold and exp, and I kid you not, he said 'I know, I programmed that mechanic.'

That, I think, is the problem. The portal lock mechanic is wholly misunderstood by the people at the very top, and quite frankly I think it's misunderstood by virtually everyone else too. As UB I can spit down a pair of portal towers in about a minute and a half at level 7, I've seen Sedna do the same at 7 numerous times. EB can steamroll them with minions, and If I'm not outnumbered and harassed endlessly I'll do the same with rook; in fact Oak is one of the least effective characters in the 7-10 range when it comes to demolishing those things.. When people try to protect those towers they end up out of exp range, earlier today I had a game where the guy defending them was level 4 by the end of the game (I was rook, level 9) and he still didn't protect that portal in the end.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I just don't think it's a problem with shield. It's a much deeper game mechanic issue, and the ability to prevent snares, spits, and whatever other debuff is an extremely important part of shield and I'd hate to see it go or even delayed, because Oak is boring enough from 1-8.

December 17, 2009 11:20:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Derog,
chainlocking with oak?? well thats not possible against a good team. either he has to run in and can be killed or he has to run out. its not like with erebus who just stays there forever.
I agree.

December 18, 2009 4:18:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HorseStrangler,

Quoting Derog, reply 31chainlocking with oak?? well thats not possible against a good team. either he has to run in and can be killed or he has to run out. its not like with erebus who just stays there forever.I agree.

Me too. Tbh I don't see shield being used that way very much. Neither do I see mist being used that way. Acctually I've never seen mist beining used that way or having used it that way myself. Doesn't mean there aren't people who can't do it but what my point is: I don't really see it as a problem.

It's a part of the game, if 1 erebus is misting at the portal in a 3v3 game you can go 3 ppl and attack one of their portals.

December 18, 2009 9:02:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Of course this issue goes much deeper but how are u you going to change it if you do dont do anything? you gotta start somewhere and i started with oak. But thats not the only reason why i started with oak. Theers just things about lvl 3 shield that make it way too effective for how early you can acquire it in a game.

Lemme just ask this, Level 3 shield makes level 4 shield completely redundant as it is now, what should i do to change this? If its not taking out stun immunity (which you all know im for), then what?

December 18, 2009 11:13:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How about make Universal Gadgets remove the lock?

Edit: I mean they are supposed to be Universal after all.

December 18, 2009 1:35:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lemme just ask this, Level 3 shield makes level 4 shield completely redundant as it is now, what should i do to change this? If its not taking out stun immunity (which you all know im for), then what?
Drop rank 3 shield to 5 seconds, add the extra second on rank IV. Not everyone will take it, but it'll still be a marked improvement over rank III, not to mention it'll be necessary for the infamous lock+tp trick.

December 18, 2009 2:14:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
How about make Universal Gadgets remove the lock?

Edit: I mean they are supposed to be Universal after all.

thats a cool idea but then it should be slightly more expensive.

December 18, 2009 10:15:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HorseStrangler,

Lemme just ask this, Level 3 shield makes level 4 shield completely redundant as it is now, what should i do to change this? If its not taking out stun immunity (which you all know im for), then what? Drop rank 3 shield to 5 seconds, add the extra second on rank IV. Not everyone will take it, but it'll still be a marked improvement over rank III, not to mention it'll be necessary for the infamous lock+tp trick.

i think if i reduce the duration it should go down to 4 secs. Then there'd definately be reason to get lvl4 shield. As it stands lvl 3 with stun immunity is just way too powerful so i think 4 secs is appropriate for such a great defensive skill.

December 21, 2009 12:22:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Erebus needs a speed nerf, starting health nerf, mist needs to cost more mana and have a longer cooldown, and he should become an assassin with all creeps removed. Then, and only then, would he be on par with the other characters.

December 21, 2009 12:26:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Splitshadow,
Erebus needs a speed nerf, starting health nerf, mist needs to cost more mana and have a longer cooldown, and he should become an assassin with all creeps removed. Then, and only then, would he be on par with the other characters.

You're joking right? His speed is fine, his health is fine, but mist should have a limit. And turn him into an assassin? I don't even know where to begin with that.....

December 21, 2009 8:24:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mist having a limit...

i think mist is fine as it is.

If u mist all game, good luck killing the opponent!

December 21, 2009 11:17:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting gkrit,
Mist having a limit...

You can win a game without getting a single kill.

Also, the inverse is true: you can lose a game getting a lot of kills.

Also, the converse is true: if you mist all game you won't die.

But you probably will lose on warscore.

December 22, 2009 6:56:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting abuggeredhedgie,

Quoting gkrit, reply 42Mist having a limit...

You can win a game without getting a single kill.

Also, the inverse is true: you can lose a game getting a lot of kills.

Also, the converse is true: if you mist all game you won't die.

But you probably will lose on warscore.

If you mist the enemy will be for example 3v2 against your teammates. 

They Die.

You loose.

December 22, 2009 7:30:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

esuzu... so true and exactly my point why mist should stay as it is. It serves no "effective" purpose other than to negate debuffs, or used as an escape tactic, much like oaks shield followed by teleport. both have their pros and cons, it then just depends on how you use it.

December 22, 2009 8:32:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

but unlike oaks shield you can stay that way like forever and bind the enemy to you. they dont have to stay... well sometimes they have. i.e. if you do that on an unlocked flag or when youre half dead. though youre limited to doing nothing so its a bit like that 5 seconds invincible item just like forever.

December 22, 2009 9:21:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Still not very happy about removing the armor debuff from Bite though.

December 23, 2009 11:46:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Derog,
but unlike oaks shield you can stay that way like forever and bind the enemy to you. they dont have to stay... well sometimes they have. i.e. if you do that on an unlocked flag or when youre half dead. though youre limited to doing nothing so its a bit like that 5 seconds invincible item just like forever.

ur missing key facotrs. Unlike oaks shield, While using mist you...:

- cannot use any skills or items (which is not the case for shield)
- cannot move

Swarm only compliments this skill by giving u a greater chance of escaping but at a high cost of mana, so judging how long u shoul dbe in mist becomes another important aspect to take into consideration.

Quoting Esuzu,
Still not very happy about removing the armor debuff from Bite though.

same ... but many ppl r dead set on making it slightly weaker because they reckon its "OP" (which personally, i didnt think it was).

December 24, 2009 6:42:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think bite is the slightest overpowered in itself. And the combination with the armor debuff and his minions is extremely important. Oak got that kind of thing aswell with Penitence and so does Queen with spikes. They all have some kind of debuff to armor or something similar.

December 28, 2009 7:26:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The problem with Mist is you can completely stop all creeps.

Any map with a chokepoint for creeps (even Cat) you can Mist in this chokepoint. Archers and Minos will die and spawn vamps. The Vamps hold the rest of the grunts (including Giants) indefinantly due to Vamps constantly spawning.

At the end of the game, being down 1 player to completely stop ALL giants/Cats/Priests is a HUGE advantage.

And this would be fine IF YOU COULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. But you can't. He just chills there.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.