The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[MOD] OAK

By on December 13, 2009 5:14:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hes quite fine as it it but i thought his third shield is pretty rape at that time in the game.

--MASTER THREAD CLICK HERE--

-----------------------------------------------------
# Oak
-----------------------------------------------------

Version 1.21

Bug Fixes
- Level 3 shield tooltip description is fixed
- Level 3 shield now heals as intended

Penitence I,II
- reduced mana cost to 400/500 from 450/550
>> these 2 levels of penitence arent the greatest for how
much mana they cost, so i slightly dropped the cost.

version 1.2

Shield III
- re-applied stun immunity
- reduced shield duration to 4 seconds

Rally
- added passive +400 armor
- added passive +10% attack speed

Shield III
- not immune to debuffs at this level (this includes stuns).

Death Effect
- effect radius increased to 20 from 10.

+32 Karma | 64 Replies
December 13, 2009 5:41:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Exactly why did you nerf shield?

December 13, 2009 6:04:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Because its possibly the best abiltiy in the game.

But most likely hes just sick of me/others exploiting stun immunity. Dragging two players to defend a portal i have no chance of taking and just teleing out, is both an effective startergy and really annoying.

But why nurf oak and buff UB (till level 15) level 3 shield is the only thing keeping him as good as UB, LE now hes just almost as good as them.

Mind you stun immunity breaks a few game machanics so maybe it should be removed.

December 13, 2009 6:39:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well... Shield V would still give you stun immunity. If you use shield on another demigod at level 15 with Shield V and they attempt to stun you they can't. Which, isn't nerfed.

December 13, 2009 6:48:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Meh, I think shield's stun immunity is a fun mechanic now that you can't both cap and teleport during it.

December 13, 2009 7:31:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i only removed it from shield level 3. shield 4 is still stun immune.

But why nurf oak and buff UB (till level 15)

i buffed a skill that was rarely (RARELY) used with a UB.

to me stun immunity early game is way too beneficial.

December 13, 2009 2:14:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well then i expect a nerf of ereb minions and the effects that erebus' bite has!

as i mentioned once before: i dont think that you should nerf the good characters much but especially buff the others so that (for example) tb+reg doesnt mean to lose automatically anymore.

but now nerfing shield 3 is a bigger nerf than you might think. until now it was possible to really annoy the enemy. i mean REALLY annoy them with shield 3 as a safe way out. you didnt really need shield 4 at all. and now you really need it if you want the old strategies to work.

December 13, 2009 4:35:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

as i mentioned once before: i dont think that you should nerf the good characters much but especially buff the others so that (for example) tb+reg doesnt mean to lose automatically anymore.
Not a good direction to go. It's fine that TB+reg is a likely loss because there's no balance to it. Even double UB is very easy for an assassin+general team, and that doesn't mean UB is weak.

December 13, 2009 4:54:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont really like Rally. Any way to make it more useful?

December 14, 2009 12:58:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i dont think that you should nerf the good characters much

you make it sound like i completely stuffed up Oak.

3rd shield is still a 6 second stun. if u die after that, its ur fault for being ill-prepared. BUT what i coudl do is add the health benefit to the 3rd shield instead of just applying for the 4th shield.

December 14, 2009 1:00:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ntropy,
I dont really like Rally. Any way to make it more useful?

ill see if i can add a constant passive buff for this skill, in conjunction with its current function.

any suggestions for what it could be?

December 14, 2009 2:05:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting gkrit,

Quoting ntropy, reply 8I dont really like Rally. Any way to make it more useful?
ill see if i can add a constant passive buff for this skill, in conjunction with its current function.

any suggestions for what it could be?

You could make it also proc when Oak gets an assist.

Edit: I think I'm okay with Shield III losing stun immunity, as long as Shield IV keeps it.

However, maybe it could be made so that whoever is shield cannot be snared, which should be the same code as Unrelenting Wrath. It's a slight nerf while still making it pretty damn useful (Shield III + Wand of Speed would work in a pinch).

Edit Edit:

I think how Oak's current power level is a weak-early game in exchange for a strong late game. I think this is fine and good, different playstyles are a good enriching thing. However, I do think that Oak's power-peak may come just a :little: bit early. Right now it's around levels 8-9 when he has 2 mana helms on. I'd like to see that changed to 9-10 with 2 mana helms on, though I think the nerf to Shield III might do that just very thing.

If there is a way to change the rate at which a demigod's stats increase instead of just a static amount every level, but a special amount regarding their current level you could give Oak rising +stat bonuses per level.   Eg, decrease level 1-5's stat bonus, but increase levels 6-10 very slightly so that they 'intersect' at level 10 or so. Then it continues at it's original levels. Though that sounds kinda stupid >>

Other way of doing it would be to further nerf his starting stats but increase his static per-level bonuses. This makes him even more terrifying late-game which might pose to be a problem.

Another possibilty is increasing the mana costs of Penitence by 35/30/25/20 or something like that (I know those are tiny numbers, that is sort of the point You become even LESS useful until you get those double-helms). It's already a very strong ability, and I'd like to see a slight nerf to Bite and increasing Penitence's mana cost slightly to 'balance' would probably be a good idea.

December 14, 2009 2:29:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

im dont think bite needs a nerf. the debuffs r only 3 secs. if u take them out though they are enough to make erebus lose his unique ability's effectiveness.

but if i do end up nerfing it ill only take out the armor reduction debuff.

but bak onto oak/....

yeh i dont rlly wanna change too much more with oak apart from what ntropy mentioned. so ill wait till after i release the mod before everyones patience runs out

December 14, 2009 4:06:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"im dont think bite needs a nerf. the debuffs r only 3 secs. if u take them out though they are enough to make erebus lose his unique ability's effectiveness."

If it's only 3 seconds then removing it isn't much of a nerf

No, but I do think that removing the armor debuff from Bite would be a large step in balancing Erebus to everyone else's level. I know that it's only 3 seconds, but Bite also is a nuke, heals, and snares, and is a fantastic finishing move with Batswarm - Bite

Erebus is just soooo hard to kill and sooooo good at killing / ninja'ing portals / pushing towers / being a general, etc. Dropping the armor reduction for Bite, making Batswarm maybe like 100 more mana, giving a duration cap for Mist, and reworking how his minions work to 0/4/7/10 insetad of 2/6/8/10 and maybe dropping the amount of max hp they have by 100.

Armor Reduction for Bite is only a big deal in ganks, otherwise it's only something like adding 75 damage at the highest levels (3 auto attacks at +10%), means it isn't a major nerf. Adding a Mist Duration is only a nerf is special cases and forces mist-builds to invest more points in it if thats what they want to do. Adding a slight cost to Batswarm makes it harder to do the evil batswarm-mass charm-bit combo that is so killer.

And his minions are better than everyone else's and he doesn't even have to invest mana or skill points in order to get them...

December 14, 2009 6:37:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well ill show you what ive doen for ereb coz i tweaked him.

December 14, 2009 5:13:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay, I finally figured out why removal of stun and debuff protection from Shield III is bad.

The reason is that it's just a nerf for its own sake. The thing is Oak is not too powerful against EB, Oak, Rook, and probably not even Sedna (though maybe a little). In fact those DGs hold their own against Oak quite well.

However, he is likely too good against TB, QoT, DA, and Regulus. So what do they all have in common?

Solid, dependable interrupts:

Oak, Penitence

Sedna, Pounce

UB, Grasp

EB, Mass Charm

Rook, Boulder Roll

TB, Deep Freeze

Direct counters to shield+teleport:

TB, Deep Freeze

DA, Shadow Swap

The characters you want to improve actually either have no way to interrupt anyway so the change does nothing for them (reg, QoT), or they have the best counters in the game to it already. DA's shadow swap will interrupt a teleport through shield and Deep Freeze will increase the cooldown of shield to 67 or 77 seconds.

So really what's your goal by removing that immunity? I just don't think it helps anything.

December 14, 2009 5:29:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i still think that this is too big of a nerf. you should at least make it last one or two seconds longer or reduce the slowing cap to normal speed during shield time. now you have to get shield IV and many games are sort of over before you can get that.

December 14, 2009 11:07:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DA's shadow swap will interrupt a teleport through shield

nooooo false it will not interrupt through lvl 3 shield and will most likely put you in their base....

December 14, 2009 11:34:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Maccilia,
nooooo false it will not interrupt through lvl 3 shield and will most likely put you in their base....
I did double check this and you're correct.

December 14, 2009 11:44:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Direct counters to shield+teleport:

TB, Deep Freeze

DA, Shadow Swap

Does sheild III not remove debuffs like heal III does? For example, you can heal off a MotB on sedna so it does not actervate.

Both the counters to sheild don't work too well if the oak player is aware of them being used.

I think reducing sheild 3 to 4-5 secs durration would be a better nurf than removing the stun immnity. He will not be as good as erebus or UB till at least gaints if it is removed (taking no damage can be achived by everyone, shield is just not that good without immnity to stuns). This is by far the biggest nurfing you have done to the demigod that did not really need too much of a nurfing. (Unless you fixed up the bug with level 4 shield so you can be stuned durring it, i have heard players say that this is possible (i wait till i can get level 5 as 600 health is not that useful), in that case its ok though 600 health at level 3 would be nice instead).

Now we just have 2 demigods at the top, followed by a second teir that is rook, sedna and oak and so on down with nothing else changing.

December 15, 2009 12:02:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does sheild III not remove debuffs like heal III does? For example, you can heal off a MotB on sedna so it does not actervate.
It removes debuffs but incurs the delay regardless.

Both the counters to sheild don't work too well if the oak player is aware of them being used.
Both mean he either leaves the battle early more similarly to other DGs, or he dies. 7 seconds is an eternity when you're trying to do the kind of low health tricks you normally do with shield.

December 15, 2009 12:04:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

gkrit, i like your motivation, but there is a reason Oak is the way he is. Oak beggining game is not very powerful, but he gains the most power late game. He is the only Demigod that can cancle out debuffs, and that is one of his advantages. Why do insist on getting rid of it?

December 15, 2009 12:25:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lemme reword my point here. The weak DGs are the ones who have the crappiest interrupts anyway, if they even have them at all. Nerfing shield is just taking pot shots at a character you view as too strong. The real reasons why Oak is so powerful are Divine Justice and Penitence... If you reduced DI to 5/10/15 you would significantly nerf Oak without making him a whole lot less fun, unlike nerfing shield.

December 15, 2009 12:28:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Both mean he either leaves the battle early more similarly to other DGs, or he dies. 7 seconds is an eternity when you're trying to do the kind of low health tricks you normally do with shield.

I guess i was wrong but using sheild to leave battle is not gkrits issure with shield. Its me an most likely others useing it to push up to a portal flag (on cateract) draw two enermy demigods to defend it and then once they are both downt there on tele cooldown just teleing out with little consiquence and no way to counter (this always benifts my team and there are only reltitivly innefective premptive counters to it). I dont think it is considered overpowered compared to batswarm in esaping battles. 77 secs considering someone else apart from tb would have to come to stop the flag capture is not really a hard counter though it might discourage it.

December 15, 2009 12:37:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, it is fairly unique to be able to do that, but even the idea here wouldn't prevent it.

December 15, 2009 12:50:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, it is fairly unique to be able to do that, but even the idea here wouldn't prevent that.

No it does not but im fairly shure that is gkirt's reason for wanting shield nurfed in this way.

Can anyone here confirm that you can stuned durring a level 4 shield?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.