The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Why I love Demigod

By on November 10, 2009 7:29:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Demigod isn't perfect of course. No game is.  I have a laundry list of things I want to see changed and with the upcoming modding, I am hoping to see those changes happen.

That said, let me tell you why I think Demigod is the best new strategy game of 2009.

1. It has the best game mechanics of any RTS of 2009.  The balance between citadel upgrades, flags, and personal items are just wonderful.

2. The fact that it is really easy to learn how to play but that a well coordinated team can own 3 experts who don't play well together.

3. The multiple ways that most of the Demigods can play.

4. It's beautiful. I can zoom out and see the whole arena or I can zoom in and see stunning graphics. Demigod is that rare game that looks terrific but whose engine is highly practical too.

5. Sheer polish.  If you have a moderate system that plays fine today, fear not, the game looks incredible at 2500x1600 thus it won't get dated soon.

6. It's continuing to get better.  If you read the forum posts, you sometimes forget that the game has only been out about 6 months and has received continual updates throughout its life with more updates in the works. It ain't going anywhere.

Just some quick thoughts on the matter.

Locked Post 79 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 10, 2009 7:41:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

can agree on everything here

November 10, 2009 7:52:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The game has certainly captured my attention since release.  I would not be coming back to it every night if it were not a good game.  Here is what I like:

1) Game is polished.  Graphics and animations look very good.

2) Game is reasonably balanced. 

3) Game is competitive and raises the adrenaline often enough.

4) Game has good pacing.  It is active from start to finish.  Traditional RTS you spend the first 30 minutes before real contact.

5) Characters are satisfyingly different.  They are not just the same characters with different skins.

6) Game takes some skill to play right.  Team work is definitely rewarded.

November 10, 2009 8:03:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The main thing that I love above Demigod is the gameplay, pure and simple. While I enjoyed the DotA Mod a few years ago, it was always just a spam fest where victory hinged on your APM and making sure you out-ganked your opponents. While some that still remains, Demigod takes the concept and makes it cognitive; it's a thinking game where the moment-to-moment and the strategy arc all come together in equal measures.

And, of course...

...our loveable forum troll

November 10, 2009 8:37:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The gameplay and graphics really are amazing. I so used to zoom now I'm not even sure I'll be able to play Starcraft 2.

November 10, 2009 8:45:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeh the graphics in this game rlly set it apart from others in this genre. but not only that, the gameplay is just great and it doesnt have a RLLY large learning curve (apart from remebering all equip effects).

but i still think certain things need balancing in regards to equips.

November 10, 2009 8:49:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting obscenitor,
The gameplay and graphics really are amazing. I so used to zoom now I'm not even sure I'll be able to play Starcraft 2.
Hehe yeah, the good old "Supreme Commander -" or "Strategic Zoom - Disease" . Has "ruined" other games for quite a lot of people, including me. Even playing games that have a generous zoom but do not zoom to and from your mouse position are very akward for me.

November 10, 2009 9:01:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed re: the zoom.  All great points.  Demigod has been such a love/hate thing for me.  So many good things keep me playing though. 

November 10, 2009 9:23:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If more people played, then I'll be happy as can be.

November 10, 2009 9:26:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For me all of those features have kept me coming back, but the real reason I play (not so much cause I can't find anyone on vent ) was the teamwork

November 10, 2009 9:52:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod isn't perfect of course. No game is.  I have a laundry list of things I want to see changed and with the upcoming modding, I am hoping to see those changes happen.

That said, let me tell you why I think Demigod is the best new strategy game of 2009.

1. It has the best game mechanics of any RTS of 2009.  The balance between citadel upgrades, flags, and personal items are just wonderful.

2. The fact that it is really easy to learn how to play but that a well coordinated team can own 3 experts who don't play well together.

3. The multiple ways that most of the Demigods can play.

4. It's beautiful. I can zoom out and see the whole arena or I can zoom in and see stunning graphics. Demigod is that rare game that looks terrific but whose engine is highly practical too.

5. Sheer polish.  If you have a moderate system that plays fine today, fear not, the game looks incredible at 2500x1600 thus it won't get dated soon.

6. It's continuing to get better.  If you read the forum posts, you sometimes forget that the game has only been out about 6 months and has received continual updates throughout its life with more updates in the works. It ain't going anywhere.

Just some quick thoughts on the matter.

This and,....

The game has certainly captured my attention since release.  I would not be coming back to it every night if it were not a good game.  Here is what I like:

1) Game is polished.  Graphics and animations look very good.

2) Game is reasonably balanced. 

3) Game is competitive and raises the adrenaline often enough.

4) Game has good pacing.  It is active from start to finish.  Traditional RTS you spend the first 30 minutes before real contact.

5) Characters are satisfyingly different.  They are not just the same characters with different skins.

6) Game takes some skill to play right.  Team work is definitely rewarded.

...this.  This has to be not just one of the best strategy games of 2009, but probably ever.  I have played them all  and this is in my top 5.  If launch and networking was smoother I honestly think this game would be huge and it would be looked at by all the magazines as a possible RTS of 2009.  Ihope this game continues to get refinements, because I still love playing it more than anything else.

November 10, 2009 10:51:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,
Agreed re: the zoom.  All great points.  Demigod has been such a love/hate thing for me.  So many good things keep me playing though. 

Samesies!...Id like to make a shout-out/song request on DG radio to my favorite videogame of all time!...Rihanna feat. Ne-Yo - Hate That I Love You...I despise that I adore you, Demigod!

November 10, 2009 11:31:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

Yeah, I agree. Great game and all, but I definitely want to see some more follow-thru on the issue of additional content and updates.

November 11, 2009 12:10:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The game is just really awesome, i enjoy every game i play (well except for the desyncs, rage quitters and lost connections)

but yeah, this is the best game i have played in 3 years.

i look forward to the patches =]

November 11, 2009 1:53:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All of the above and I love the pacing, abilities, flags, teamwork, the maps, artwork... and that a certain publisher plays the game a lot. It's great to know The Man in Charge(TM) knows what he's talking about first hand!

November 11, 2009 2:58:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Once ingame this is definately the best RTS of 2009 (or at the very least one of the best). Gameplay is awesome. Its just getting into the games/the features/the activity/lag that stops it actually being the best game of the past few years.

November 11, 2009 6:02:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agreed, i havn't discovered such a good game since diablo 2 in 2000.

I think i have just found my new dope

Cheers Frogboy and Coe, keep go on making this game more and more awesome.

November 11, 2009 7:02:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy, you dont have to make this forum post to make us love demigod.

Despite all this whining, the anger, the supposed "hatred", we ALL LOVE Demigod. If we didnt love this game, we wouldnt be still here eh?

November 11, 2009 7:12:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this is definitly not the best rts game. it has probably one of the best gameplays but to be a good RTS game i concider having the must haves EVERY RTS MP-TITLE has: teamed auto matches (registering as a team and getting random fitting opponent teams). This is an ABSOLUTLY MUST HAVE and a shame demigod didn't had it already in beta. in fact it is scandalous!

This breaks the community at most as we have seen the conflicts between puggers and premades...

and it is even more to be ashamed off that even after 6 months there is not even a sign on the horizon of getting such thing before and of the world 2012.

and btw. morph already said how usefull this thread is.... beside of that i absolutly don't agree with point 6! the support and patch progress is really really bad and slow as the prioritizing is!

November 11, 2009 7:18:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this is definitly not the best rts game.

Probably true. But...

Demigod is the best new strategy game of 2009

Also probably true.

November 11, 2009 7:59:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1) The feeling you get when you shield someone with oak right before the fatal snipe.  I used to love this feeling when playing QoT before people figured out how to abuse her.

2) The feeling you get when you're not sure whether your enemy outran your rain of ice... but then you see "So and So was made Thundercles Bitch!" come up on top of the screen or something like that... my memory ain't so good.

3) The feeling you get when you wind up for that fatal fireball and they keep running... like its gonna do them any good.

November 12, 2009 5:12:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DAMN GPG AND THEIR CREATION OF THE ZOOM FEATURE
DAMN YOU

On a side note demigod is awesome

November 12, 2009 8:42:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just want to say that Supreme Commander introduced the ultimate zoom in one of the best RTS games ever, and they did a similar thing in Demigod.

Good work GPG!

November 12, 2009 8:59:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I tried playing Starcraft a few weeks ago, and couldn't stop myself from using my scroll wheel when I wanted to focus on a different part of the screen.  Not that I was good at it to begin with, but now it's that much worse. 

November 12, 2009 10:16:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am sorry gonna have to side with Empire Total War for strategy game of 2009.

Demigod is a good game however, I think it would be a shame to say that it is the best strategy game of 2009. I like it, but really cannot say that it is a AAA title. No real singleplayer, badly broken (on release) multiplayer match-ups and for me a simplistic gameplay put some marks down.

On point 5. Sheer polish for me means that the product as a whole is polished. At the moment that is not true, multiplayer matchups are still a hodge podge.

I am still watching out for Elemental though and SupCom 2 (although I know this has little to with Stardock). Your efforts with Galciv and Sins are definately AAA

November 12, 2009 12:01:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Galciv and Sins AAA I agree completely. In fact.... I can't believe it's the same company that made demigod.

Demigod can't be the best strategy game of 2009 if it lacks features from 1999.

EDIT:

Starcraft did not have zoom because it was a 2D game. Warcraft 3 and frozen throne both had zoom - how do you think they got the box art / screen shots?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: