Demigod isn't perfect of course. No game is. I have a laundry list of things I want to see changed and with the upcoming modding, I am hoping to see those changes happen.
That said, let me tell you why I think Demigod is the best new strategy game of 2009.
1. It has the best game mechanics of any RTS of 2009. The balance between citadel upgrades, flags, and personal items are just wonderful.
2. The fact that it is really easy to learn how to play but that a well coordinated team can own 3 experts who don't play well together.
3. The multiple ways that most of the Demigods can play.
4. It's beautiful. I can zoom out and see the whole arena or I can zoom in and see stunning graphics. Demigod is that rare game that looks terrific but whose engine is highly practical too.
5. Sheer polish. If you have a moderate system that plays fine today, fear not, the game looks incredible at 2500x1600 thus it won't get dated soon.
6. It's continuing to get better. If you read the forum posts, you sometimes forget that the game has only been out about 6 months and has received continual updates throughout its life with more updates in the works. It ain't going anywhere.
Just some quick thoughts on the matter.