The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What is the best RPG.....?

By on October 27, 2009 6:38:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What is the best RPG of all time you have ever played? That includes MMORPG, Action RPG, pure RPG.... etc.

PC games of course.

For me it is "The Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion".

+160 Karma | 108 Replies
October 29, 2009 1:57:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Or maybe Rhapsody (Sarcasm detector is going off)

Rhapsody is a great game, its pretty much like Final Fantasy: Tactics except without the difficulty, the Chocobos, and the insane amounts of emo. Pity that they removed *far* too much of the difficulty, though, even boss encounters are about as hard as your average random encounter in FF:T, and random encounters are just pathetic.

In fact, I think I'm gonna search for the disc, dust off my PS2 and replay it just for fun

October 29, 2009 12:14:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, is one of those games that must be mentioned at some point.  I've come within 3 jumps of getting the Super Jacket - then excitement got to me.

Seeing how it's the only MMO I've played, WoW is pretty much it by default.  However, I've a lot to learn about the game (I get my ass kicked WAY too easily.  Need to look into those power-leveling guides sometime...)

For Action RPGs, lessee here...

Super Paper Mario:  A departure from the other 2?  Sure.  Fun? HELL yes.

Secret of Mana:  I remember playing this when I was younger (about 10 or so), and thought it was the hardest game EVER.  Now that I've got a lil' online guide saved, though, I can usually kick any enemy's ass within a few seconds.

Seiken Densetsu 3:  It's a pity this never made it stateside, but we can thank the translation patch for allowing us to experience quite possibly one of the most fun games I've ever played.  3 endings, 24 classes total, and WAY more combos than I'd care to count, it leaves me coming back for more.

Diablo II.  Nothing more needs be said.

Lost Kingdoms II:  I'm amazed this game isn't as well-known as it ought to be.  It's basically what would happen if you took Yu-Gi-Oh! and Diablo II, put them in a blender, and served as-is.

October 30, 2009 9:52:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Yes.

Diablo II. Nothing more needs be said.

Also, yes.

SSI's Goldbox games

Especially Curse of the Azure Bonds.

But above those for me would be Ultima 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7. 

October 30, 2009 12:04:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Final Fantasy VI will forever be lodged in my memory.  When I'm bored, I play through it in my head.

October 30, 2009 12:20:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,
Final Fantasy VI will forever be lodged in my memory.  When I'm bored, I play through it in my head.

Too much information, Rosco.

October 30, 2009 7:43:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,

I love every single Final Fantasy including FFVI.

Good choice!

October 30, 2009 7:44:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mooorooowind!!

Yes Morrowind is awesome but Oblivion is even better. I suggest that you try it if you havent played it already.

October 31, 2009 12:25:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Baldurs Gate 2 and Deus Ex for me - two truely outstanding games that are still great to play even now.

Neverwinter nights meanwhile was great if you wanted to build your own RPG (although the core campaign didn't come close to the heights of BG2 IMO).

October 31, 2009 12:36:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My favorite RPG of all time would probably be Baiten Kaitos.  It had an amazing story as well as an incredibly addicting battle system.

November 1, 2009 2:49:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

GOTHIC

November 1, 2009 7:59:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting aeortar,
Neverwinter nights meanwhile was great if you wanted to build your own RPG (although the core campaign didn't come close to the heights of BG2 IMO).

Once you experience the Epic Story of Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 most other RPG's pale in comparison. (at least for Story anyway)

November 1, 2009 9:19:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DraekAlmasy,
Or maybe Rhapsody (Sarcasm detector is going off)

Rhapsody is a great game, its pretty much like Final Fantasy: Tactics except without the difficulty, the Chocobos, and the insane amounts of emo. Pity that they removed *far* too much of the difficulty, though, even boss encounters are about as hard as your average random encounter in FF:T, and random encounters are just pathetic.

In fact, I think I'm gonna search for the disc, dust off my PS2 and replay it just for fun

I liked the game, too.

However it isn't what I would call "good" simply because it's so easy.

November 2, 2009 4:31:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Planescape Torment. For me it was the only CRPG that ever came close to a P&P RPG.

November 2, 2009 5:57:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OsirisDawn,
Planescape Torment. For me it was the only CRPG that ever came close to a P&P RPG.

How could you play that and Not play Baldurs Gate?

November 2, 2009 11:14:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Luckmann you would. 

November 5, 2009 8:25:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Raven X,

Quoting OsirisDawn,
reply 64

How could you play that and Not play Baldurs Gate?

I did play both BG games, but Planescape was simply better IMHO. And since there can only be one 'best of' i choose Planescape.

Both BG are very good too.

November 5, 2009 10:27:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Baldur's Gate, or possibly Ultima V.  I haven't played through Ultima IV or VII, both of which many prefer to V, or Baldur's Gate 2, which many say is better than the first.  I haven't played KOTOR, either, which may make my opinion less valid: I've read more than a few reviews that has that pegged as one of the best storylines ever.

November 5, 2009 11:55:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oblivion w/ a dozen mods running.

However, I must say that the game where I spent the most time "role-playing" was Europa Universalis II (and III). National ambition is just so much fun.

November 5, 2009 12:25:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People keep mentioning KOTOR

My mate said although the game was awesome he was put down because something like the end not being finished? ...

And does anyone know where I can get an emulator to play FFVII on my PC

On my side note I didnt like Fallout 3 and Oblivion was just not my taste

November 5, 2009 1:52:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting _Golgoth_,
People keep mentioning KOTOR

My mate said although the game was awesome he was put down because something like the end not being finished? ...

And does anyone know where I can get an emulator to play FFVII on my PC

On my side note I didnt like Fallout 3 and Oblivion was just not my taste

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are very much alike. if u dont one them then u dont like the other one (Bethesda both of them).

About the emulator

http://www.epsxe.com

Just Download it. Best psx emulator by far.

November 5, 2009 2:06:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There is a PC version of FFVII. Might be quite hard to find one, though.

But as someone mentioned, heavily modded Oblivion, on positive side, Fallout 3 needs much less mods, so maybe there's hope for Bethesda yet

November 5, 2009 4:34:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Baldur's Gate is still the best D&D style RPG out there that I've played, though I would love to try Planescape:Torment, just not for the prices I always find it at. Neverwinter Nights is great, but had some weaknesses - the story wasn't quite on par with Baldur's Gate. More to the point, the NPC's weren't on par with Baldur's Gate - "GO FOR THE EYES BOO, GO FOR THE EYES!"

Morrowind? Sorry Oblivion lovers, Oblivion is very very good, but I can't imagine people playing it in 20 years on an emulator. Morrowind? Heck, there will still be mods being made for it when my Grandkids are playing it. It's just epic on a scale that the entirely reasonable compromises done in Oblivion make unfeasible.

Daggerfall I haven't finished yet, but frankly looks like a lot of fun. Unfortunately it's a lot easier to setup in Dosbox on the PC than on Ubuntu, and my home copy of XP is getting wiped/reinstalled pretty soon so it's not running at the moment.

Can't say I consider Nethack an RPG so much as a Dungeon Crawl, but . . . it's a *REALLY FUN* Dungeoncrawl, and certainly if Diablo qualifies then Nethack does. 

And, well, if Nethack *does*, then it still wins hands down - <G>.

Jonnan

November 5, 2009 4:43:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok Morpheaus your a babe for pointing out that emulator

Now I have Windows 64bit so I cant install it ><
And I know its daft but is Neverwinter Nights a MMORPG or am I looking like a fool right now?

November 5, 2009 5:10:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Rishkith,
Final Fantasy 7 topped it for me (Yes, I played it on the PC when it came out)
You missed out, they replaced the epic Sephiroth song with a midi file on the PC version.

November 5, 2009 5:16:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tormy-,
Temple of Elemental Evil.

YES! A very underrated game.

Although for me it has to be Baldur's Gate series.

In terms of Pen and Paper RPGs, Unknown Armies has the best game mechanics I've ever seen.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000485   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.