The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

XvX Vent Bal Games Going Up This Weekend - Play with pacov and use voice chat

By on October 2, 2009 2:33:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well hello there, Dg Community. 

This weekend I will be hosting some XvX Vent Bal games.  That silly game name means the following.  XvX - at least 2v2 but as many as 4v4.  Vent - Games that will have voice chat enabled.  If you join the game and aren't willing to join a vent server, you will be kicked.  Bal = Balanced games.  I'll be ensuring that those games are reasonably balanced based on stats.  You can prepare for these games in advance.  The bottom line is if you are willing to take 5-10 minutes to set up vent, you'll at least be able to hear other people speak in the games I'll be hosting (eg if you don't have a mic).  The overall goal is to get more players using voice chat so that its easier to coordinate teams and hopefully people will form some teams of their own. 

Here's all the info you need on getting ventrillo up and running along with a public dg server (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/362211/ thanks go out to CallTheVoid). 

Here is where you can download the client (its free): http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

Here are instructions on how to use ventrilo to connect to a server:  http://www.ventrilo.com/setup.php

And here's the needed server info: 

Sever name:  chi05.hurricanehost.com
Port:  4636

If you see any of my XvX Vent Bal games up and are willing to give voice chat a shot, please join them. Looking forward to meeting you and getting to play on the same side with you as well.  I'm not sure how many of these games I'll be hosting this w/e, but hopefully a few.

Update - I've played 4 games so far and will play some more today. 

Edit - The public server is no longer available

+161 Karma | 59 Replies
October 2, 2009 1:33:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I will keep an eye out for these games

October 2, 2009 4:37:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here are some extra details on how I’m planning on running these games. 

• I’m going to pull up ready to play (http://www.stardock.com/products/readytoplay/downloads.asp) and send out some invites, pretty much at random, to players in my friends list and some friends that ready to play recommends. 
  • Once people respond to my invite to play, I’ll reiterate what I’m trying to do with these games (that vent is required and that I’ll balance the teams in game, etc). 
  • I’ll share the vent server info (listed in the OP) and wait for people to get signed in.  I’ll also find out who can actually chat using a mic at this point.  Everyone will need to join whatever channel I am in so we can chat as needed.  PLEASE choose your EXACT in game handle as your username in vent.
  • Depending on how many people respond via the ready to play system, I may put a password on the 1st few games so only those that were in the ready to play chat will be able to join the game once I host it in demigod.  Just FYI in case you see my XvX Vent Bal game up with a password on it.  I WON’T be handling all of my games like this, but probably the 1st 2-3 games to keep things from getting too confusing.    
  • I’ll handle balancing teams in these intial games based on how I personally assess skill level (generally total games played (high value to me) and then a glance at their win loss rates (low value but I still look)). 
  • I will most likely start looking up players after they have signed into vent based on their usernames.  Once we have enough people and I’ve determined appropriate teams, those teams will move into their own channel on the vent server. 
  • I’ll then host a game w/ or w/o a password on it and we’ll get onto our predetermined teams and fight it out. 
  • I expect that if the teams are balanced, I’ll play 1-2 games with everyone and then repeat this process with a new group of players.  The good news is that if people enjoyed playing together, they can continue playing without me while I get another game going.  That way, we'll keep building up the population on the vent server and hopefully more people will play without me getting thing moving

Some ventrilo guidelines:

• Setup ventrilo in advance.  You’ve got the directions in the OP.  Take the time and configure it, test it, and make sure you are ready to use it if at all possible prior to getting an invite to play from me.
  • Don’t be afraid to login to the server.  You can just login and see who’s online and logout if you like.  All of you should do this at least once to make sure you are setup properly.  You might even find someone online TODAY that would enjoy playing a game with you, but you won’t know unless you log in. 

Ventrilo ettiquite: 

• There are multiple channels in the demigod pub vent server we’ll be using.  When you login, you will start in the general public lobby.  You need to move your self to one of the Demigod public lobbies.  People actively in games or about to be should be in one of the Demigod rooms.  It is not ok to just jump into people’s in game channels and chat them up.  If you are waiting for a chance to get in a game, please just wait patiently in the public lobby.
  • When your game is finished, jump back into demigod public lobby and chat about the game or see if anyone that is waiting around is interested in playing.  There's no harm in sending me a message using Demigod's in game chat to let me know that you want in on the next game. 
  • Don’t have loud music on in the background.  People want to hear YOU speak – not hear all of your background noise. 
  • Don’t talk nonstop.  Speak when its appropriate in game.  If your jabbering away, it makes it difficult for the rest of the team to coordinate. 
  • Don’t grief your team.  Be constructive.  People make mistakes and there will be multiple levels of skill when we play.  They do not need to get reemed out by you to get better.  I find a simple “Rook, you need to back up now” or “You need to be more cautious – don’t get into a 2v1 situation” goes a long way if my teammate understands English.  I’ve had my moments where I’ve lost my temper with my team, but try to keep a level head.

Demigod team ettiquite:

• You don’t get to rage quit.  As a team, you will all make a decision to quit or play it out.  And you should defer that decision to the most experienced person on the team if some are wanting to give up.  Concede, but I don’t want to see any random drops outside of crashes or technical issues.  These games are meant to be fun games, win or lose.  Don’t ruin the experience for you team by dropping if you die once, etc.
  • Don’t start a game that you don’t think you can finish.  If you can’t block out and hour to play, you shouldn’t start IMO, especially at the competitive level. 

Planning in the lobby (strategy):

• Once you get into the lobby, take some time and discuss what characters you are planning on using.  Tell the team who your best character is, etc.  Discuss intial strategy (do you have reg… will he have level 1 snipe + heaven’s wrath, favor items, what lane are you and X player are going to go to).  Once you have covered this, ready up. 

I’m not entirely sure when I’ll start hosting these games.  It could be as early as tonight after 10PM Eastern Time or sometime tomorrow (sat). 

Don't let the fact that I'm not hosting these games right this second keep you from trying to get some games in using voice chat now!  Sign into the vent server and see who's online right now.  Ask them if they'd be interested in a game.  Or, on your next PUG game, suggest to your teammates that they get onto the vent server and you guys can talk.  You can always mute players if you bump into any jerks

And last - I fully expect to win some of these games and lose some.  Let's just have some fun!

October 2, 2009 5:44:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just a reminder - the vent server is a shared server (split between demigod and eve online ATM).  When you login, be sure to move down to one of the demigod public lobbies.  Thanks!

October 2, 2009 10:04:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1st attempt at this is starting right now. 

edit - 1st game was a success.  4v4

October 3, 2009 12:47:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok - so far I've played a total of 2 games where everyone had voice chat.  It was the same group of people in both games with a pretty wide range of skill based on experience.  We balanced the teams as best we could so it would be a fairly even experience and after the 1st game, asked if anyone wanted to change things up.  No one was vocal about changing up. 

Here are some details for those who care

I used ready to play initially.  Didn't get anyone on my first try (invited maybe 10-12 people).  Sent the invites and waited around a few minutes.  Got a few people who jumped into chat, but all indicated that they weren't free at the time.  I sign into the pub vent server and notice that a few peope are in the demigod AFK channel.  I host an XvX vent Balanced game in DG.  People slowly join.  I explain that its a vent only game.  A couple leave, but most stay.  Many have to download vent, but seem to figure it out easy enough.  I pass the vent information along.  I think it took about 30-40 minutes to get the first game up and running, but everyone was surprisingly patient while they waited.  I explain how the vent server is setup (channels, etc) and what the goal is (getting people using voice chat and playing more balanced games).  I check stats along with abuggerhedgie (bugger is a part of my premade and agreed to help out as a team captain for the other team - THANKS!) and we balance the teams as seems appropriate.  We get our first game together and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well everyone on my team quickly coordinated.  Some of the things I found interesting:  my teammates, by and large, respond INCREDIBLY well to having someone coordinate the action.  I typically am the guy that calls out "port on blank" or "all of us need to go to blank immediately" or "watch and port to the health flag."  I think that the players on my team enjoyed the experience and actually learned a bit more about team tactics as a result.  I'm hopeful that the 2 games I put in with them will motivate them to get more games going using voice chat, but time will tell.

Here are the 2 games we played: 

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/999850/player/28414/ 

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1000013/player/28414/

I have a replay of the 2nd one that I'll post later on gamereplays. It's up now - http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=popular&show=details&id=97322

I'm going to try to get another game going now.  If you are just reading this... look for an XvX Vent Bal game now!

October 3, 2009 4:38:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Games 3 and 4.

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1000239/player/28414/ - here's a replay for game 3:  http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/replays.php?game=51&tab=upcoming&show=details&id=97324

http://pantheon.demigodthegame.com/game/1000348/player/28414/

It took 1 HOUR to get game 3 up and running - UGH.  We brought in several new players, but it does take a bit to get people setup.  Game 3 was absolutely our best game.  Exceptionally balanced where it was back and forth (replay going up later).  I enjoyed it and wished we could have gotten a rematch going, but not everyone could stay.  Game 4 was a whoppin for me.  Bugger (the other captain) lost the previous 3 to my team, so I agreed that if there wasn't a clear balanced game solution that we'd slide things slightly in his favor.  WELL - we got whopped.  BAD.  They even had someone on their team drop (crash) in the game and we still got whopped.  It was a pretty frustrating game for me, but it was still a good game. 

That said, the thing that excited me the most tonight was this:

Those were 2 of the guys that joined in our last game, going out and trying to get new games going.  I'm hoping we can get more and more people doing this.  Me and bugger will show you how (if you don't know) and then you can do the same thing.  I'll be playing some more XvX vent bal games tomorrow.  Hope to see you then! 

October 3, 2009 4:48:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

F'ing brilliant idea, pacov! I'd love to see this catch on permanently.

+1

October 3, 2009 12:16:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well... I checked out those 2 games that chowdown and janook hosted... looks like they didn't quite get off the ground.  The lousy part is that you currently do have to be willing to wait a bit to get these types of games off the ground (mostly because I'm pretty inflexible about everyone MUST be on vent).  I do think everyone is enjoying the experience of having voice chat and being on balanced teams. 

October 3, 2009 12:22:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hint hint. Wink wink. I think voice chat is something Stardock can do with the overlay.

October 3, 2009 12:30:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Replays of game 3 and 4 are up (see a few posts up for links).  For those of you that have participated so far, if you have any feedback, please post away.

Poly - that would be great. 

October 3, 2009 1:28:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hosting today as well?

October 3, 2009 1:39:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yup - got to handle some things around the house but I'm going to try to get at least 2 games in today. 

October 3, 2009 3:06:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I played in games 1 and 2.  It definitely took a little time to get everyone on the same page.  People would join the lobby, not want to deal with ventrilo and then drop.  Amazingly the first burst of 5 people stuck around the entire time.  Eventually we had enough for 4v4 and pacov/Bugger worked out how the teams would best be stacked.  We moved around a little based on overall games played I believe.  A few people had 100+ games while a group of us were around 50 games.

When I first started with DG I had a friend that played as well. We talked over Skype and it helped immensely.  Unfortunately we lacked a bit in strategery.  Having pacov at the helm of our team helped immensely.  He was very vocal through each match without ever being berating.  I learned a lot about things that I don't always watch for and I found that during the second game I was starting to do things just before he called for them.

I think the key to using voice chat succesfully is to play with a group of open minded individuals.  I can see where jumping into a game through vent with some people might be fairly depressing.  Hopefully the community that builds around this vent channel will continue to be supportive.  I don't think it will be long before we have quick, challenging matches on a regular basis.

October 3, 2009 4:08:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I learned a lot about things that I don't always watch for and I found that during the second game I was starting to do things just before he called for them.

Also - PRO.  I'm decent at coordinating things when needed (eg when you are just forming a team, I'm a very good guy to have around).  But if you are making quick decisions and porting in to get a kill or trap or even just picking up on things a few moments before I say anything, you are moving in the right direction.  Thanks for taking the time to play with us, Mauxe!  Looking foward to playing w you again. 

October 3, 2009 6:24:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

got 2 more games in.  Be on again later tonight... we had > 10 ready to play at one point.

October 4, 2009 1:38:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well then... here are some preliminary results of my little experiment.  I've played a total of 8 XvX Vent Balanced games.  I think I"m actually good at balancing because frankly, if teams are balanced a 50% win rate is more than likely what will occur.  Of course, the downside is that a 50% win rate will occur .  It took QUITE a bit of work to get the original games going (yesterday).  Today has been REALLY smooth.  I only needed to explain how to connect to the dg public server to 2-4 people.  As a result, most of my games were up and running inside of 10 minutes. 

Things I've learned - people are generally cool to play with even using voice chat.  I don't think anyone was rude or busting chops too much.  At this point, it seems like if I leave and am not up for another game, things fall apart.  I'm unfortunately still the glue in this thing.  After my last game, we had a total of 10 people up for a game.  I told them I was done for a bit.  All but 4 left immediately.  I bet we'd have had a 4v4 if I was willing to play another.

SO - I'll keep putting up these games form time to time.  Its probably the absolute best way you will ever be able to PUG (balanced teams + voice chat).  If you see one of my XvX Vent Bal games up, please try to join.  The EASIEST way to be a part of them is this:  join the demigod public vent server and sit around the the demigod waiting for a game channel.  People are starting to come and go alot and will wait in that channel.  I look there before I host one of my balanced games everytime. 

Also - if any of you are willing, start hosting your own games.  I'm convinced that the most hardcore Puggers out there will prefer this method of play. 

October 4, 2009 7:08:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeh, I wish theyd put ingame voicechat rooms.... Tried to connect to your vent server but do connect, though Im sure you were not online at the time...

October 4, 2009 1:57:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

After my last game, we had a total of 10 people up for a game.

yeah,  but that 5v5 took forever!

October 4, 2009 2:04:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Was fun yesterday.

Will gladly join again.

October 4, 2009 2:08:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Was fun yesterday.

Will gladly join again.

It was good playing with you and your buddy as well, cosmo.  Thanks for joining in!

yeah, but that 5v5 took forever!

yeah - I think I'll probably restrict these to 4v4's when possible. 

And for those of you are that are interested but haven't joined the vent server yet, here's what the population was like a minute ago:

As you can see, not a HUGE amount of people, but people are checking in more often and this should go a long way at getting more games going with voice chat. 

October 4, 2009 7:44:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Going to try and get insome more of this tonight.  I had jumped on earlier last night and started a room with little luck.  After the big 5v5 it was ~1:15 EST and I had to get up somewhat early

I think that there have been enough ppl the past 2 nights that we can start to keep games going without pacov's direct intervention, although any time you have to give definitely helps

October 4, 2009 9:39:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay, I got a bingo! Tested today, stupid me had the wrong port number in..... Gave a hello andd got a response (Yanks talk funny LOL).

So I think we need more people to jump on this! Would be good. Especially Aussies, because when we play, it's very early morning for the US.

Pacov, will your server always be up for public use?

I've also got r2p installed, seems kinda useless at this point.

Perhaps Stardock should provide a server for Vent chat too, or just incorporate ingame chat

October 5, 2009 12:18:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pacov, will your server always be up for public use?

I've also got r2p installed, seems kinda useless at this point.

Perhaps Stardock should provide a server for Vent chat too, or just incorporate ingame chat

Lukas - the server, AFAIK, will continue to be avaialble for public use and has a 100 player capacity.  The owner of the vent is CallTheVoid.  He offered the server as a public vent server some time ago and I decided to make a push to use it and get something going in the community.  So, all the credit for providing the vent server goes to him (eg give him some karma ). 

Frogboy made another post about getting r2p, so I think we'll be seeing the population increase.  It's been somewhat helpful in organizing these games, but not a huge boost.  We'll probably be better off when more people pick it up. 

I'd be thrilled if they provided a vent server and maybe an in game overlay that indicated the vent server address.  I don't think we'll see that happen, but I can dream

And last - I spent my time in dg today doing some tournament practice games for the lagwar tournament that I THINK is starting next week.  I'll probably host another XvX vent game soon.  But remember, you can always just chat up whoever is on the public server and see if they'd be interested in playing a game with you.  Then you could do a 2v2 or 3v3 and you'll have the benefit of voice chat just like that!  Hope to catch you guys later!

October 5, 2009 12:42:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is a very good idea and i want to be a part of this server. I'll download all the necessary software when i get back from work tomorrow.

October 5, 2009 1:15:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting tacoguyV1,
This is a very good idea and i want to be a part of this server. I'll download all the necessary software when i get back from work tomorrow.

That's great!  Looking forward to seeing you online. 

I just finished using the server to get a quick pug going with 2 people that were in the waiting for game channel. 

think that there have been enough ppl the past 2 nights that we can start to keep games going without pacov's direct intervention, although any time you have to give definitely helps

I'd love to hear if you guys are getting games going without me using the voice chat, so do tell if that's the case.  The XvX vent bal games are great especially for dedicated puggers, but my #1 goal is to get more people in the DG community using voice chat (which, IMO, will keep upping the level of competition and fun). 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000390   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.