The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

XvX Vent Bal Games Going Up This Weekend - Play with pacov and use voice chat

By on October 2, 2009 2:33:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well hello there, Dg Community. 

This weekend I will be hosting some XvX Vent Bal games.  That silly game name means the following.  XvX - at least 2v2 but as many as 4v4.  Vent - Games that will have voice chat enabled.  If you join the game and aren't willing to join a vent server, you will be kicked.  Bal = Balanced games.  I'll be ensuring that those games are reasonably balanced based on stats.  You can prepare for these games in advance.  The bottom line is if you are willing to take 5-10 minutes to set up vent, you'll at least be able to hear other people speak in the games I'll be hosting (eg if you don't have a mic).  The overall goal is to get more players using voice chat so that its easier to coordinate teams and hopefully people will form some teams of their own. 

Here's all the info you need on getting ventrillo up and running along with a public dg server (https://forums.demigodthegame.com/362211/ thanks go out to CallTheVoid). 

Here is where you can download the client (its free): http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

Here are instructions on how to use ventrilo to connect to a server:  http://www.ventrilo.com/setup.php

And here's the needed server info: 

Sever name:  chi05.hurricanehost.com
Port:  4636

If you see any of my XvX Vent Bal games up and are willing to give voice chat a shot, please join them. Looking forward to meeting you and getting to play on the same side with you as well.  I'm not sure how many of these games I'll be hosting this w/e, but hopefully a few.

Update - I've played 4 games so far and will play some more today. 

Edit - The public server is no longer available

+161 Karma | 59 Replies
October 5, 2009 4:49:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey, I had a game with Pacov today Using the vent chat. It was gr8!

I think the most useful thing for finding a game is to join the waiting for a game room on the vent server. Then pop a hello to whoever else is in there and organise a game.

Worked woderfully

October 5, 2009 5:33:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting pacov,

I'd love to hear if you guys are getting games going without me using the voice chat, so do tell if that's the case.  The XvX vent bal games are great especially for dedicated puggers, but my #1 goal is to get more people in the DG community using voice chat (which, IMO, will keep upping the level of competition and fun). 

I was logged in there yesterday, but my time zone wasn't ideal I think. Didn't get a game there. Since I 'revisited' Demigods this weekend (after giving up on the game for some months because of the bad launch and seeing that there was yet another major update recently) and I only played one match online (countless SP games though) I didn't feel comfortable enough to start organizing a game. I am simply not experienced enough.

But I think the initiative is great. I prefer playing online games with voice chat. It makes for better games and it's easier to avoid ass hats (or the ass hats suddenly behave when it gets more personal than some typed text, I don't know). I would love to try out at least one match over voice some time. I'll keep an eye on this.

October 5, 2009 12:13:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This initiative is great.

But it only sheads the spotlight on an issue with Demigod >.>

October 5, 2009 12:44:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey guys, I was leading some of the games with Pacov (I'm in his premade and he's been asking for my help for these) over the last few days (nothing over the weekend, though, sorry, I play Sins over the weekend with my coworkers. We have epic LANs every weekend ).

I have 4 midterms this Thursday so I'll obviously be studying a lot over this week, but Thursday and Friday night I'll probably try to run a few of these. Expect them to be going up around 7:30-8:30 PST depending on how long my last midterm is and if I go out to eat or make myself dinner.

October 5, 2009 1:16:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Polynomial,
This initiative is great.

But it only sheads the spotlight on an issue with Demigod >.>

Yes, but it also provides a workable solution.  Granted, its not ideal to have to handle everything manually (getting people in voice chat and balancing games manually), it is a passable solution in the meantime.    And balancing should be a bit easier to do when the new overlay goes live.  Don't get me wrong, though - I'd love it all I had to do was click a button and we'd get balanced teams based on stats and if it was a little bit easier for people to get into voice chat. 

...Thursday and Friday night I'll probably try to run a few of these. Expect them to be going up around 7:30-8:30 PST depending on how long my last midterm is and if I go out to eat or make myself dinner.

That's great, Hedgie!  Thanks for doing that. 

October 5, 2009 4:23:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think the issue is so much balanced teams, pacov.

Demigod is a game where the individual skill ceiling is kind of low. Its just about working together as a team, where voice chat kicks in and its something I am fairly sure Stardock can do via the overlay.

October 5, 2009 7:52:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Expect them to be going up around 7:30-8:30 PST depending on how long my last midterm is and if I go out to eat or make myself dinner

Great Ill try and get on thursday

October 8, 2009 11:32:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

---scratchthat---

Got invited to a PM game, going to play one real quick.

--

Alright got trounced Game going up now.

October 9, 2009 12:44:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I doubt I'll be hosting any of these this weekend.  I'll probably pop onto the pub server from time to time and might try to get a game in. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.