The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

SERIOUS +Minion Health Items BUG (STILL NOT FIXED IN 1.2)

By on August 21, 2009 7:43:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When buying +Minion Health Items (Hauberk of Life, etc.) and using any General but Erebus, your minions have their original health when summoned and not the boosted health.

Erebus has this problem only without skilling Improved Conversion Aura. After he skills this he has full boosted health minions when summoned. Other skills like Entourage or higher Raise Dead Ward or higher Summoning Yetis or Shamblers do not help!

Quite a disadvantage for the other Generals and hardly intended, hm?

Edit: It's even worse.

+25 Karma | 131 Replies
August 22, 2009 3:50:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I believe this is an intended effect since Minion Erebus is obviously the weakest of all minion generals so he needs the advantage and I'm sure Shamblers and Yetis would be horribly abused should this ever be changed... someday.

Totally unrelated question, would a sarcastic reply to a legit issue be considered trolling, or just bad manners?

August 22, 2009 5:36:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Totally unrelated question, would a sarcastic reply to a legit issue be considered trolling, or just bad manners?

What sarcastic reply?

I also think that Erebus' Minions are the weakest of them all:

That's because they cost more mana than Shamblers or Yetis...  hm no.

But it's because you can have fewer Nightwalkers than Shamblers or Yet... hmm no.

It' definitely because they start with less health than Sha... hmmm no.

Ok, but I'm absolutely sure that the QoT or Sedna have at least one extremely strong level 15 Minion skill that makes their Minions much better, unlike Erebus' crappy Army of the Night skill.

Oh, wait...

August 23, 2009 7:24:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

^Lol.

I sometimes wonder if the devs ever actually tried to use Shamblers or Yetis. They're so inferior to Night Walkers and Spirits it's laughable...

August 23, 2009 9:04:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its not like Erebus' pets can kill Fortresses by themselves 5 minutes into every game, guys.

August 23, 2009 9:33:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oooh, that was a good one.  Erebus had me and rook on him, ran into towers, and still killed us both...at level 1.

Yeah, this isn't ruining the game.  I want my damn money back if they can't get this fixed.

August 23, 2009 10:00:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds similar the Horn issue that caused that item to be removed... perhaps there is a link, here?

August 25, 2009 1:58:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think that was the horn issue: it was the drop-pickup item exploit:

- I have no mana.

- I drop Scaled Helm

- I pickup Scaled Helm

- I now have 550 Mana

They made items no longer add the benefit when you equp them (surely you've noticed this at the shop by now?).

Anyway, my guess is that Erebus' minions are spawned in  a slightly different manner than Shamblers and such and so it uses slightly different code...

August 25, 2009 4:48:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Erebus' minions are spawned in a slightly different manner than Shamblers and such

Nightwalkers' spawning mechanism is quite similar to the Oak's Spirits (Raise Dead Ward = Erebus) and Spirits do have the same bug than the other minions.

August 31, 2009 2:23:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The bug is actually much worse than I thought:

Shamblers have a base health of 625 health.

When you buy Hauberk (+200 health to Minions) and a Sigil (+100 health to Minions) and you make a Shambler, it is summoned with only 475(!) health.

Less than its base health!

Moreover its maximum health is only 775 instead of 925!

Actually, minion health even depends on which order you equip the items!

This bug makes you summon half-dead Minions!

Someone at Stardock/GPG aware of this!?

August 31, 2009 8:04:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No woder im having troublewith my minion QOT build.... Oh and while your fixing this issue plz give yetties and shamblers a buff.

August 31, 2009 9:37:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Are you sure spirits are bugged?  I just tested it with Oak.  Got rank 1 spirits.  Bought Hauberk.  They had 200 more health according to their life bar.  Am I missing something?

September 1, 2009 3:49:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CosMoe,

When you buy Hauberk (+200 health to Minions) and a Sigil (+100 health to Minions) and you make a Shambler, it is summoned with only 475(!) health.

No wonder they're useless!

September 1, 2009 8:49:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With Hauberk, the Spirits do have 200 more maximum health, but when they are created they still have their base health. I did not test the Sigil with Spirits. You might not notice that they have less health when created because when you're zoomed out, the health bar is bugged too. Also your priests (or reinforcement priests) could heal them instantly. I guess that's why I never noticed it before.

September 1, 2009 9:23:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CosMoe,

What the hell?

This is...what?

How do you even screw something up like that? They say development takes time because GPG has to send builds to Stardock for testing, but if this is any indication, the QA department sure as hell isn't doing its job.

September 1, 2009 10:17:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm glad you made this post and mentioned it on other threads (I probably wouldn't have seen it).  Hope we see a bugfix.  Did you send this info into the [email protected]?  A ticket number is created... then the tech will escalate it to GPG if needed (probably).  

September 2, 2009 1:06:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Apparently, when the Sigil buff was created, the developer used the Hauberk of Life item as a model. Part of the copied code was not replaced, and this caused the overwriting error. To fix the problem with the Sigil of Life:

Edit the Consumable Items file:

\lua\common\Items\Consumable_Items.lua

Change line 1274 from:

BuffType = 'CHEST040MINIONHEALTH',

to:

BuffType = 'CONSUMABLE110PASSIVE',

What was happening was that the Sigil and the Hauberk of Life used the same buff name. So they conflicted with each other whenever you picked up or dropped one. In isolation the items would work fine and would not show any effects, however when used in conjunction with each other, this error would appear. Regardless, unless I am missing something this is a simple fix. To avoid the error until it is fixed, just don't use the Hauberk of Life and the Sigil of Vitality at the same time for the purpose of minion hp increases. I'm looking into the summoning minion code now, hopefully that will have a happy ending as well.

September 2, 2009 1:44:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can anyone confirm what Ptarth indicates here?  Will this do the trick (eg the bug would be squashed)?

September 2, 2009 1:49:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So, Lord Erebus also has the same minion summoning with less life issue that Sedna, Oak, and the Queen of Thorns has. However, because his units summon in the middle of combat and typically have access to life regeneration, this has not been noticed. This has further been complicated because when Lord Erebus possesses the conversion aura, his units are given full health when created. The combination of these three things has lead to the incorrect belief that Lord Erebus does not suffer from the changes done to fix item manipulation and minion health levels. However, to counter this, most Lord Erebus builds include Conversion at an early level, so in effect Lord Erebus only infrequently creates minions with low health.

To demonstrate the effect of items on Lord Erebus Minions:

Start a skirmish game with Lord Erebus.

Buy the level 1 minotaur idol and move away from the healing crystal before summoning. Note that the minotaurs are summoned with full health.

Buy God Plate and suicide your minotaurs.

Move away from the healing crystal and resummon the minotaurs, note that they no longer are summoned with max health.

Next, proceed to a creep wave and remain in range until a vampire is created. Note that its health is not maxed. Repeat until you are convinced the health level is stable, less than max at creation. Suicide minions are necessary to allow new vampires to be created.

Now, purchase the conversion aura rank 1. Proceed to create new vampire minions by killing creeps. Note that now your vampires are spawned with full health.

A good demonstration of the effect of the change due to abuse of dropping and equipping items is:

Start a skirmish game with any general and buy God Plate. Summon a minion, and then repeatedly drop and reequip the God Plate. Your minion’s current health will eventually drop to 1.

When Lord Erebus has the Conversion Aura, a check is performed that results in his units being healed to full, specifically in:

\Demigod\bindata\units\heroes\HVampire\HVampire_Abilities.lua

lines: 833-841

The line that heals the spawned vampires is:

839:                vampireling:AdjustHealth(vampireling:GetMaxHealth())

Although healing is incorrect, this line sets the health of the vampire to max health.

So, how to fix the problem? It is simple enough.

First off, in the Hvampire_Abilities.lua file, move line 839 down two lines, outside of the validation check for Conversion and for Coven. This will ensure that Lord Erebus’s vampires are always reset to full health after being spawned.

Next, do similar sorts of adjustments to the other generals, Sedna, Queen of Thorns, and if you really have to Oak (he is overpowered anyway).

(It’s a joke btw, so relax).

An example of how this would be done for the Queen of Thorns. Open:

\Demigod\bindata\units\heroes\HVampire\HQueen_Abilities.lua

Go to line 205, right before

CountShamblers(def.MaxShamblers, shambler)

Add:

shambler:AdjustHealth(shambler:GetMaxHealth())

Now, when she summons Shamblers they will be healed.

To fix the general idols, you’d have to edit the

\lua\common\Items\Generals_Items.lua

and add a similar line to the generic summoning code, something like

minion:AdjustHealth(minion:GetMaxHealth()) around line 40 would most likely work.

So, unless I missed something, this should fix all the minion health glitches.

Also, I can confirm that the Ptarth guy above's changes fix the problem with the Sigil. Plus he is really handsome.

September 2, 2009 1:59:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Apparently, when the Sigil buff was created, the developer used the Hauberk of Life item as a model. Part of the copied code was not replaced, and this caused the overwriting error.

Now that is just sloppy coding. GPG should be very much ashamed.

Ptarth, thank you!

September 2, 2009 2:06:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can anyone confirm that he is really handsome? 

Thanks for the effort on this, Ptarth!  Hopefully we can get some action on it in an upcoming build.   

September 2, 2009 2:07:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You are welcome.

However, someone should independently verify that what I did actually does what I claim. It is easy enough to write all sorts of claims about these things.

I'd also cut GPG some slack on this one. Sure it is an error, but it is rather difficult to notice. Plus, I'd hate for people to come after me with pitchforks for some of the horrible code that I've written, goodness knows I deserve it though.

Oh, and I checked, that ptarth guy is really, really handsome.

September 5, 2009 3:11:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bumpity

September 5, 2009 4:31:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm deserved bump. Any news on SD picking up on this? (I know it's GPG's job but they never reply).

September 5, 2009 4:47:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've posted this over on GPG's forums as well.  http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=39105.  I posted there regarding the tb autoattack fix http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=39104 and Sorian, a GPG staffer who does also post on SD boards (he appears to only have updated his avatar to indicate GPG) chimed in and indicated he was working on the tb autoattack fix.  No one from GPG has jumped into the thread I posted re:the minion health bug as of yet. 

September 5, 2009 4:55:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This really needs to be fixed in v1.2.

You'd only understand the frustration about this bug if you played the QoT and used Shamblers, which, for some unknown reason (sarcasm), almost nobody does.

Imagine a Regulus hitting you with Mark of the Betrayer Level2 (775 mana). All Shamblers die on summoning (wasted up to 975 mana) and you take 600 damage and have reduced movement speed and nothing to mulch.

If this bug was also affecting Erebus, you'd hear a lot more whining...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.