The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

SERIOUS +Minion Health Items BUG (STILL NOT FIXED IN 1.2)

By on August 21, 2009 7:43:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When buying +Minion Health Items (Hauberk of Life, etc.) and using any General but Erebus, your minions have their original health when summoned and not the boosted health.

Erebus has this problem only without skilling Improved Conversion Aura. After he skills this he has full boosted health minions when summoned. Other skills like Entourage or higher Raise Dead Ward or higher Summoning Yetis or Shamblers do not help!

Quite a disadvantage for the other Generals and hardly intended, hm?

Edit: It's even worse.

+25 Karma | 131 Replies
September 11, 2009 6:22:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*cough*

September 18, 2009 1:55:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No mention of a fix in the 1.19 patch notes !!!

BUMP!!!!!!!!

September 19, 2009 12:03:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is not such an easy fix. I suppose this has to do with the deactivated favor items aswell. To make newly cast minions get full health the sigil and other +minion items would need to be checked, so they all have a unique buff ID (think this got mentioned already) so they dont REPLACE another buff from another item. After that, basicly you just have to set AdjustHealth = true (this is wrong on Sigil I think, it has AdjustEnergy = false, which is doubly-wrong), and it should work. However this might be more complicated then I think, but AdjustHealth = true does work. I tested that.

October 29, 2009 8:20:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CosMoe,
The bug is actually much worse than I thought:

Shamblers have a base health of 625 health.

When you buy Hauberk (+200 health to Minions) and a Sigil (+100 health to Minions) and you make a Shambler, it is summoned with only 475(!) health.

Less than its base health!

Moreover its maximum health is only 775 instead of 925!

Actually, minion health even depends on which order you equip the items!

This bug makes you summon half-dead Minions!

Someone at Stardock/GPG aware of this!?
wtf...has this been fixed by now or what?

November 1, 2009 7:14:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting heavenlysynn,

Quoting CosMoe, reply 9The bug is actually much worse than I thought:

Shamblers have a base health of 625 health.

When you buy Hauberk (+200 health to Minions) and a Sigil (+100 health to Minions) and you make a Shambler, it is summoned with only 475(!) health.

Less than its base health!

Moreover its maximum health is only 775 instead of 925!

Actually, minion health even depends on which order you equip the items!

This bug makes you summon half-dead Minions!

Someone at Stardock/GPG aware of this!?wtf...has this been fixed by now or what?

No

November 6, 2009 8:01:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I love good programmers!!  The problem is like every other profession. There is one good programmer for every 10 half decent ones and then the rest are book programmers. They don't really understand anything, just know they were told they would make lots of money if they programmed and got a degree.  But they suck.

Quoting Ptarth,
So, Lord Erebus also has the same minion summoning with less life issue that Sedna, Oak, and the Queen of Thorns has. However, because his units summon in the middle of combat and typically have access to life regeneration, this has not been noticed. This has further been complicated because when Lord Erebus possesses the conversion aura, his units are given full health when created. The combination of these three things has lead to the incorrect belief that Lord Erebus does not suffer from the changes done to fix item manipulation and minion health levels. However, to counter this, most Lord Erebus builds include Conversion at an early level, so in effect Lord Erebus only infrequently creates minions with low health.

To demonstrate the effect of items on Lord Erebus Minions:

Start a skirmish game with Lord Erebus.

Buy the level 1 minotaur idol and move away from the healing crystal before summoning. Note that the minotaurs are summoned with full health.

Buy God Plate and suicide your minotaurs.

Move away from the healing crystal and resummon the minotaurs, note that they no longer are summoned with max health.

Next, proceed to a creep wave and remain in range until a vampire is created. Note that its health is not maxed. Repeat until you are convinced the health level is stable, less than max at creation. Suicide minions are necessary to allow new vampires to be created.

Now, purchase the conversion aura rank 1. Proceed to create new vampire minions by killing creeps. Note that now your vampires are spawned with full health.

A good demonstration of the effect of the change due to abuse of dropping and equipping items is:

Start a skirmish game with any general and buy God Plate. Summon a minion, and then repeatedly drop and reequip the God Plate. Your minion’s current health will eventually drop to 1.

When Lord Erebus has the Conversion Aura, a check is performed that results in his units being healed to full, specifically in:

\Demigod\bindata\units\heroes\HVampire\HVampire_Abilities.lua

lines: 833-841

The line that heals the spawned vampires is:

839:                vampireling:AdjustHealth(vampireling:GetMaxHealth())

Although healing is incorrect, this line sets the health of the vampire to max health.

So, how to fix the problem? It is simple enough.

First off, in the Hvampire_Abilities.lua file, move line 839 down two lines, outside of the validation check for Conversion and for Coven. This will ensure that Lord Erebus’s vampires are always reset to full health after being spawned.

Next, do similar sorts of adjustments to the other generals, Sedna, Queen of Thorns, and if you really have to Oak (he is overpowered anyway).

(It’s a joke btw, so relax).

An example of how this would be done for the Queen of Thorns. Open:

\Demigod\bindata\units\heroes\HVampire\HQueen_Abilities.lua

Go to line 205, right before

CountShamblers(def.MaxShamblers, shambler)

Add:

shambler:AdjustHealth(shambler:GetMaxHealth())

Now, when she summons Shamblers they will be healed.

To fix the general idols, you’d have to edit the

\lua\common\Items\Generals_Items.lua

and add a similar line to the generic summoning code, something like

minion:AdjustHealth(minion:GetMaxHealth()) around line 40 would most likely work.

So, unless I missed something, this should fix all the minion health glitches.

Also, I can confirm that the Ptarth guy above's changes fix the problem with the Sigil. Plus he is really handsome.

November 6, 2009 8:32:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

BUMP for 1.2 BUMP

November 20, 2009 6:59:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Still not fixed.

This bug has been known for 3 months now.

Stardock/GPG, what the hell !?

November 20, 2009 7:13:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

3 month is nothing we have bugs known since beta still existing. patience cosmoe, such things need years. don't forget, for each patch they have to figure out what new bugs they have to introduce.

November 20, 2009 7:15:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bumpity bump...

absurd

November 20, 2009 7:44:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OMG, is this for real? So, have i been getting my Hauberk of Life with its +200 minion health for nothing? Is the new priced Theurgist Cap with its +200 minion HP also affected?

And has someone here suggested a code fix to this problem, and has it still not been fixed? 

Good lord...

November 20, 2009 1:06:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CelMare,
3 month is nothing we have bugs known since beta still existing. patience cosmoe, such things need years. don't forget, for each patch they have to figure out what new bugs they have to introduce.

LOL

Maybe decades to fix....who knows?

November 20, 2009 5:08:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bumping this everyday until this gets fixed >>

November 22, 2009 5:57:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bumping this everyday until this gets fixed

November 22, 2009 6:40:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I tried Ptarth's fix with a mod, but to no avail. It did not work.

November 22, 2009 4:35:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

eh? That's wierd. It worked when I modded it into 1.18 (or whatever the previous nonhash obsessed version was). Want to send me th emod or tell me what you did?

November 22, 2009 4:41:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I went to the countShamblers line, and right before that I added shambler:AdjustHealth(shambler:GetMaxHealth()). I might have done it wrong. Do you think you could take a stab at it?

There wasn't anything in /bindata, so I looked in dgdata and modified the file there.

November 23, 2009 5:48:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good Morning,

So I went and tested it out. My suggestion works with 1.19. I'm not sure about the requirements for paths in mods. Sorian's TB fix doesn't use any paths and works. However, when I tried the same with this mod it didn't work. It might have something to do with the .bp versus .lua.

Anyway, I added the line where I said I did and Shamblers summon fine. This only works for shamblers, no other minions are affected. However, I'd like to point out that while this is a solution, it isn't an elegant one. It also isn't a generic solution, this line will have to be added to all summons. To solve the problem, I can think of two other options.

1. Look deeper into the summoning code to find a place where all summoned units can be summoned at full health.

2. Like ntrophy suggested, edit all items to adjustHealth. (Caveat this will not fix nonitem buffs, so something will have to be done to account for that.)

Regardless, here is a copy of the mod that I got to work. If it doesn't work get back to me and I'll try again. As a reminder this only works for shamblers. Not other summons, and no other demigods.

November 23, 2009 7:39:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice! Ptarth it works like a charm

Now shamblers have full health when summoned!

November 23, 2009 8:20:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What were you doing differently that you couldn't get it to work?

November 23, 2009 8:50:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've spent some more time looking into things, so I am going to post my findings here. The modding community has a lot of different levels of knowledge, but the knowledge isn't being shared. I'm trying to do my part to solve that.

Demigods is based on the same engine as Supreme Commander. That means much of the documentation on Supreme Commander is also valid for Demigods.

Back in 1.xx GPG fixed items so that they wouldn't give hp/mana when equiped. This was to solve the problem of infinite free mana by picking up an item, casting, dropping item, and repeating. The problem was that when they did this they neglected to address minions being created.

Minions are created with the CreateUnitHPR function. This function seems to be present in the demigods executable and I have not been able to change it.

The CreateUnitHPR function has the parameters of [blueprint, army, x, y, z, pitch, yaw, roll]. Blueprint is the unit, army is side(?). X, Y, & Z is the location the unit will be created at. Pitch, Yaw, & Roll describe the orientation of the unit.

In my fix I suggested 'healing' a unit as soon as it is created. This is the same way that GPG dealt with the vampire aura hp buff. ntrophy suggests changing the items so that they properly modify the hp on summoning of units. As far as I can tell, the units have a set base health, which is then modified by items, however only items that have been properly updated with the health update code.

What does this mean? I think that all items should be properly updated and that all summons should include a full heal at creation line. When GPG wrote the code they were not expecting to have to deal with both situations, I believe that doing this now will prevent any other reoccurances later on down the line. I'll probably try to make an attempt on this. If the dgmodding site was back it would be nice, but it may be gone for good.

Additionally, I personally think that a mod collection should be created that contains fixes to the game. Not balance changes, but fixes. So the missing towers bug, the sludge slinger & parasite aiming, the descriptive text updates, etc, should all be put together and host somewhere. Ideally these changes would be implimented in the base game of demigods as this progress. If someone wants to nominate their time and effort to do it, I'd be willing to help out some. The key is that this is a long term commitment, with probably no reward. Sounds fun eh?

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who was looking into things or wondering how the lua works.

November 23, 2009 9:06:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Additionally, I personally think that a mod collection should be created that contains fixes to the game. Not balance changes, but fixes. So the missing towers bug, the sludge slinger & parasite aiming, the descriptive text updates, etc, should all be put together and host somewhere. Ideally these changes would be implimented in the base game of demigods as this progress. If someone wants to nominate their time and effort to do it, I'd be willing to help out some. The key is that this is a long term commitment, with probably no reward. Sounds fun eh?

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who was looking into things or wondering how the lua works.

I am willing to accept that kind of commitment but there is a big problem for me:

I am NOOB in lua language. This means that when i see some obvious things like: 

GetHealthBonus = function(self) return Buffs['EricsRing'].Affects.MaxHealth.Add end, or Icon = 'NewIcons/Ring/Ring6', i pretty much know what it does, and why it is there.

But when it comes to write something in lua from scratch, i dont know a thing!

For example: Someone owns a car. He loves cars and drives like a pro. he knows which part of the engine is this and that, what does each part do etc. But when it comes to fixing his car.....he calls service or whatever. Get my point?

I think it is time for me to learn the lua language from scrath, so.... we will see!

November 24, 2009 4:02:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

morpheas768: I'm guessing it isn't the Lua that is causing problems. It is understanding the structure of the demigod programming.

So, I looked into AdjustEnergy = true as ntropy suggested.

I found that only a few things actually have AdjustEnergy on them.

Torchbearer's Form switch to ice grants energy regen & has AdjustEnergy = true.

Demigods when they levelup have AdjustEnergy = true & AdjustHealth = true.

Demigods when they are initialized have it.

All achievement items that affect max health and max mana have AdjustEnergy and AdjustHealth = true

Occulus's minion buffs.

It would seem that the AdjustEnergy/Health = true may produce the infinite mana/health bugs that were the cause of these issues in the first place. For achievement items this isn't an issue because they can't be dropped. Adding them to droppable items may however be exploitable.

November 24, 2009 4:31:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow i thought that AdjustEnergy/Health was only for favor items!

What the hell? Did they not think of this?

November 24, 2009 7:33:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's also used for some skills, such as Torchbearer's Inspirational Flame and item like Sigils. So it's at quite a few places. The buff for health and mana just have to be handled properly. I have suggested some code for that in the "Report Problems" sticky thread, however I'm unsure if it considers every aspect. I tested it with a few items... such as Sigils. That should fix the health/mana issues on any buff situation for dgs. The AdjustEnergy/Health just have to be set accordingly. For minions the problem seems to be twofold. Some items have or had wrong codes, I think Sigils +100 minion health was one of them. This would have to be fixed. Second, when spawning minions, the question is when the item buffs are applied. So either all the minion items need AdjustHealth or the minions have to be healed right after creation and after the items buffs were applied (if they dont adjust).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.