The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: How games are made

By on June 8, 2009 5:59:32 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

image Well I said I was going to start going lighter on these journals since each one seems to give the poorly informed an opportunity to flame me or Stardock for whatever woes they have without realizing what’s really going on.

It just goes against my grain to not keep people up to date with what’s happening.  The only thing I will say is this: I’m just the messenger.  My job is a lot like herding cats.

So that everyone is on the same page of who is doing what:

Stardock

Stardock, who I work for, is the North American retail publisher of Demigod as well as the digital distributor of it via Impulse.  Our job is to take the game, put it in a box (or online) for people to purchase at the store. We also are responsible for the marketing and technical support for the game.

However, in the case of Demigod, we also agreed to provide a website to take posted data from the game and display it (rankings, favor points, etc.).

In addition, Stardock developed Impulse which, amongst other things, includes impulsereactor.dll which has what we call a Common Virtual Platform (CVP).  CVP is designed as an interface to a series of web services.  An application calls a CVP function to send XML to servers as well as receive XML from servers that the game can then display in-game.

Here are some examples:

A game might request a team game. The game developer would call something like CVP.RequestMatch() which would then look at players in the queue and send back an XML with the players and their IP addresses for the game to connect to.

A game may want to record how many kills or how much damage they did. It can use CVP to post this data to our servers.

Now, in the case of Demigod, some special code was added to handle connecting players together because Demigod does not have this. GPG used GPGNet in Supreme Commander but it was not available for Demigod.

Raknet

To take the place of GPGNet, we looked at several options including GameSpy Arcade, Games for Windows Live, and Raknet.  Since Demigod’s original ship date was February, we couldn’t use Games for Windows Live as it was too far along. The team ultimately decided to go with Raknet because it was used successfully with The Political Machine.  But The Political Machine is a client/server game.  Demigod is a peer-to-peer game just like Supreme Commander, Warcraft 3, Company of Heroes, and the Dawn of War series. 

So we worked with the developer of Raknet to use that library for Demigod.  I won’t go into the details here other than to say that obviously everything didn’t go as planned on that.  The basic issue was scalability.

For you web developers, the way I would describe it is imagine setting up a really elegant looking new website that runs great during your testing phase. Then you release it and when thousands of people are on it at once, it crashes and burns.  That’s basically what happened with Demigod. 

I still highly recommend Raknet. If someone makes a website using Ruby on Rails, for instance, they should know what the pluses and minuses of it.  Same here.  Ultimately, Stardock and Gas Powerered Games took the lead on this part of the game and so it was our responsibility.

With that, bear in mind, our anticipated technical involvement with Demigod was essentially that we would provide the website, a database, and finding players to connect to each other.  We treated the connectivity the same as you would any other “engine” you license (i.e. Unreal engine, Fmod, Bink, etc.).

Snowball 

In Russia, the publisher of Demigod is Snowball.  If you bought the game in Russia at the store, Snowball is the equivalent of Stardock there.

Atari

Everywhere else it’s Atari. Whether you bought it at a store in Australia or in the UK or on the continent of Europe, Atari is in charge there.

Gas Powered Games

And of course, the game itself is Chris Taylor’s Gas Powered Games which designed and developed the game. They make the demigods, the maps, the items, etc.  Demigod is their game (i.e. they own it). They are the Stephen King to Stardock’s Del Ray books.

I think most people would agree Demigod is an awesome game. Gas Powered Games is one of the top independent game developers in the industry. You’re talking about total pros here.  If it sounds like I’m a fan, it’s because I am.

My point is that when people have some problem whether it be single player, multiplayer, whatever I will do my best to direct the feedback to the right group.  My default position is that everything is my fault and therefore Stardock’s fault.  But that doesn’t mean we literally coded it. I’m just saying that the buck has to stop somewhere.

However, our ability to exact change is limited by how much of our own resources we can put in to help GPG or Raknet.  Customers of our partners Atari and Snowball benefit from these efforts but I’ll tell ya, I get pretty annoyed when some guy who bought the game in Europe at the store (therefore an Atari customer) is flaming Stardock for whatever problem.  It’s like flaming the fireman for not putting out the fire fast enough.

The Pantheon

The area of pain we’re dealing with this week is the Pantheon. 

Custom game connectivity works very well now and with the updates for this week, they’ll likely reach the point of diminishing returns (i.e. if you still have problems in custom games after this week’s updates, it’s on your end). 

But Pantheon sucks. So does skirmish.  Istari, one of the Stardock developers pulled from Elemental to help on Demigod along with others here have been going through pantheon nonsense all last week and today.

As some of you know (but unfortunately not most people) when things hit the fan with Demigod’s online experience, we brought in developers from Impulse and Elemental to work with GPG and Raknet to get things resolved more quickly. It was a tough call because you don’t necessarily want to have too many chefs in the kitchen but on the other hand, fixing things quickly and well is very expensive and it was either putting the burden on GPG or Raknet and at the end of the day, if I’m making the journals and our name is on the box I feel more comfortable if the people working on it are people responsible to me.  It’s a tough situation all around and everyone is working very hard under difficult circumstances.

Anyway, here’s a typical Pantheon experience:

1. User hits “Fight”
  2. They wait awhile while the system tries to match them with people of similar skill.
  3. They see 4 people on the connection dialog.
  4. One of them disappears.
  5. They end up in a 2 v 1 game.

Here’s another typical Pantheon experience:

1. User hits “Fight”
  2. They wait awhile..
  3. They see 4 people
  4. One of them can’t connect back.

Sometimes you get both.

Here’s a report between Jeff and Istari on the subject:

This log finished off with the following:

PlayerName: Istari PlayerID: 11122 SystemAddress: xxx.204.71.133:64840, Connected to: 46966,52623 PendingConnections:

PlayerName: KutsuShita PlayerID: 46966 SystemAddress: xxx.209.39.38:6112, Connected to: 52623,11122 PendingConnections:

PlayerName: F3kay PlayerID: 52623 SystemAddress: xxx.147.232.59:6112, Connected to: 11122 PendingConnections: 46966

KutsuShita and F3kay DID connect. But part of the 2nd-round handshake failed. If you were to lookat F3kay's playerlog, my money is on that you'd see PLAYER_ID_PONG packets in the packet log, but no PLAYER_ID_PONG in the impulsereactor log. = The packets are coming in, but not getting processed.

This is the same problem I've been trying to track down with a couple users by working one-on-one. The problem appears to have to do with ordered packets not all arriving, causing all future messages to not process. There is a SIGNIFICANT chance that this is also the cause of the disconnects-from-faciliator, but I have no proof of that at this point in time.

Additional information about this problem includes that it most open happens to specific players, that other people show connected in their list (e.g. it says they're connected to everyone) but that they sit as "pending" in other people's list.

**My current theory is that their unreliable connection causes permanent packet-loss on some multi-part ordered messages, and once that happens all further messages fail to get processed as RakNet waits for the prior message.

What you see here is one of the problems with debugging a third-party library. We could either send this error to the developer or we can dig into the library’s source code ourselves and try to fix it.  We’ve been increasingly opting for the latter (mainly because for us, time is of the essence and we have a lot of experienced developers in this area who can do this pretty well).

But this gives you an idea of the kinds of things we’re dealing with.  What we find are not “bugs” but scaling issues. So I want to emphasize that we’re not going through other people’s code and saying “Oh, so and so has terrible code!” What we find are simply cases where Dev A didn’t expect Dev B to do a particular thing.

So this is probably more information than you wanted to know but it gives you an idea of the kinds of things we’re trying to help with here. 

+912 Karma | 84 Replies
June 8, 2009 10:44:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
That touches on an interesting subject.  I think one of the things for Demigod's long-term success will be for the community to be empowered.  Community  moderators and such. This is especially true if we start supporting community mods.

With strict enough guidelines and limited powers from Stardock-employed moderators, this may not be a bad thing. But that's really down the line. Right now there isn't really more than kryo for example can handle, and he's not the only one.

If you're talking content moderators, then it really depends on how the mod tools shape up. Take Sins, there are lots of mods, but comparatively few that actually add new ship models and such - and even 1.5 years after its release most aren't in the final release stage! Granted it would be quicker to add a single Demigod than ships for an entire race, but you guys would still have to see the influx of these before going to community content moderators.

June 8, 2009 10:59:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy.. I am going to implore you.  Don't stop posting man.  I for one, like your posts to the journal.  I even have them saved in my cell phone.  Some people just like to bitch and moan too much.  I only had a beef with the whole networking deal.  Specially when the servers go down.  Although now, demigod is working a heck of a lot better than it used to.

June 8, 2009 11:02:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
That touches on an interesting subject.  I think one of the things for Demigod's long-term success will be for the community to be empowered.  Community  moderators and such. This is especially true if we start supporting community mods.

Glad to read your journal. Makes me more sympathetic to some of your frustrations in others posts, particularly the one I responded to just a few mins ago (wish I read this 1st). I know you can't answer this but is GPG quietly standing in a corner while you take the brunt of the bashing? Bad form.

Is there anyway to get GPG more involved with the community? I have some non-flamy questions I'd love to ask them (art related, I assure you).

We want mods! We want mods! We want mods!

June 8, 2009 11:04:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think there were/are a lot of people who are well aware of each company's vague place in the scheme of things (at least between Stardock and GPG); the issue, at least for me, I have never seen any posts by GPG developers.  I understand and can believe that they do read the forums and listen to the community, but I never see any kind of feedback or updates from them.  Maybe I'm not looking hard enough and they do post about what's going on, but the only ones I ever see posting are Stardock employees.  I think this has created a situation where we have all given up ever hearing from GPG and expect Stardock to be the mouthpiece for this game.  This is not an MMOG and I do not expect updates on a daily basis, even weekly (when the game is in very good shape... almost there), but until the community starts seeing good interactions from someone other than Stardock people are going to whine every time there's a couple days between Demigod Journal updates.

Honestly with all of the issues that have existed since release I have been somewhat miffed at the lack of GPG's presence (there are plenty of problems that have not been addressed that have nothing to do with Stardock, but I feel were completely eclipsed by all of the connection problems).

June 9, 2009 12:28:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You guys see that GPG stated they won't be using Impulse with their future game.  I read it in one of the E3 write ups about Supreme Commander II.  That makes me sad...  I feel pretty comfortable that you will eventually get this fixed and once you do it will be rock solid.

What network code do you guys use with Sins?

June 9, 2009 1:35:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lighter on these journals since each one seems to give the poorly informed an opportunity to flame me or Stardock

its so disappointing when the ignorant few destroy the enjoyment of a large part of the community

frogboy, dont be disheartened because of these people, everyone on here loves your input!

June 9, 2009 4:53:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

frogboy.....dont mind the flamers with all thier negativity..............thanks for all the services you guys provided, you have been great.

not all of us here are flamers

June 9, 2009 5:50:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

more or less it's correct what frogboy wrote, BUT it is not the point!

the scalability problem can and should be checked with a prerelease beta phase. it does not matter who's fault the current problems are. fact is such problems after a release can break the game. customers are not much forgiving after a release. this game could have 10 times more palyers if the scalability of the network stuff had been better checked BEFORE release, if it offered some more maps (whih i guess would have happend already if there weren't so much other problems).

thus it does not matter if it is understandable: the most of the customers do not think about this. it has been released: they wanna play it. in fact, i would say it is nearly too late now. the community will not grow much more if not it will shrunk. there were big expectations and indeed it is a great game. but the issues are killing the motivation... this kills the income of new players.
it's allready happening. and it could had been prevented!

very very sad!

edit: i mean, even such simple stuff like online statistics are NOT working! all, and i mean ALL stats are messed up, missing games, wrong personal demigod stats and many many others. the game does not make the implression of a release version. it is like a beta version. and most customers have no patient for this. this should and could have been prevented! it's nothing new about this.

edit2: don't tell me they didn't new that the web stuff did not work. i do not believe they didn't realised the network problems within the beta. and they still released it. and now they wonder about the reactions? gas powerd games aren't new in this bussiness. they should have knew what they will get.

June 9, 2009 6:15:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What I find sad is that if you complain, you are called a flamer, poorly informed, negative, ignorant, bitch, whiner.

Pantheon is a WHOPPER part of this game (to the extent that it's given a tab all of it's own on this website) and we all know it doesn't work and never has worked properly.

When did it become ok for the customer to be flamed when he complains about things that are not working?

How much should the customer care WHO does the fixing and how much effort is being put into fixing it (unless of course there is a GPG website where people should be complaining).

June 9, 2009 6:46:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MrBoingy,
(unless of course there is a GPG website where people should be complaining).

http://forums.gaspowered.com/index.php

there are boards here

June 9, 2009 6:46:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Druez,
You guys see that GPG stated they won't be using Impulse with their future game.  I read it in one of the E3 write ups about Supreme Commander II.  That makes me sad...  I feel pretty comfortable that you will eventually get this fixed and once you do it will be rock solid.

What network code do you guys use with Sins?

SupCom 2 is being published by Square Enix, so in some ways it probably doesn't make sense for them to use Impulse features. But the problem isn't with Impulse either, that's behaving just fine.

June 9, 2009 6:54:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the updates Frogboy, you guys do get a lot of flack in the forums, and sure Pantheon and Skirmish aren’t fully up and running yet but with a little patience it’s easy enough to get into a game.  For all the loud winey people out there I’m pretty sure there is a much greater silent majority who deeply appreciate the feedback you give us in the journals and appreciate even more that you’re working really hard to get the multi player working as well as possible. 

No game is perfect, but it’s really nice to get feedback from you guys that you know what isn’t working and what you’re doing about it.

Keep up to good work

June 9, 2009 6:59:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update FB, keep it up! Its always an interesting read. And as said before in here, just ignore the ignorant.. (  ) They most likely dont take the time to read before posting. 

And just keep banging away at those problems till they go away. Fixing up Demigod is the only way to silence the ignorant also.

June 9, 2009 7:45:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Someone know why GPGnet was not available for Demigod ?
And of course, thank for the update Frogboy. I play regularly with some friends and they all enjoy your updates.

June 9, 2009 8:00:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Frogboy needs to focus on more elemental things in Stardock. Demigod provided quite an insight on game development. For those of us that enjoyed the ride, be glad of it.

June 9, 2009 8:26:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@ opening post

I love this update. As a programmer (sort of) I love the technical stuff. If you ever feel like it post another technical thread. I'm sure the ones that understand it find it an intresting read.

I'm wondering one thing, about RakNet. It is ofcourse true that often times it's better to 'fix things yourself' as it's usually quicker. 2 parties mean that party A has to convey the problem to party B, things are misunderstood, have to be cleared up, etc. But I wonder how RakNet is dealing with these problems. Do they have a team working on this together with Stardock? Did they provide code explanation in order to find the problems? Are any of the Stardock fixes/adjustments going to be merged with the RakNet code? It's not to flame, I'm just intrested in these project dynamics.

June 9, 2009 9:08:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is a post to bookmark. Now we can just link this to people who get angry.

June 9, 2009 9:14:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Dead Ghost,
This was the biggest mistake and it's SD's fault because you could have postpone the release date by a couple of months and make DG's MP work with either Gamespy or GfWL, and not risk it with some untested p2p netcode (Raknet). All of these problems could have been avoided by just postponing the release.

It's not that simple. Game studios have contracts, publishers have contracts, lots of money is invested (could run in the millions). Just postponing a release could mean contracts are broken and usually there are very VERY severe consequences.

June 9, 2009 10:57:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MrBoingy,
What I find sad is that if you complain, you are called a flamer, poorly informed, negative, ignorant, bitch, whiner.

The problem is that you all keep complaining long after Stardock hears about the problems. They know it is messed up. Flaming the people that are making an effort to keep you in the loop is stupid. It hinders communication, and you are doing more harm than good by constantly bringing things up. FFS, everyone knows about the problems! Give it a rest. Go troll on 4chan somewhere.

June 9, 2009 11:07:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The bigger problem is that there's a difference between complaining and flaming. There are lots of threads complaining that something doesn't work that are worded like "Hey, this and this still doesn't work, here's what I tried, does anyone have any ideas or when it'll be fixed?", which are perfectly fine (even if they are about the same general thing).

Then there are threads/posts (and a few of these are in this thread too) which don't say anything other than "Omg Stardock it's all your fault, you screwed up!!!" which doesn't say anything useful and just gets on their nerves after a while. These are the people that get called all those things, because they don't express any desire to try and see if it's anything on their end or if anyone has suggestions.

The first group of people, however, generally get decent responses because they just care about getting their game to work, rather than going on anti-Stardock rants.

June 9, 2009 11:29:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting twifightDG,

It's not that simple. Game studios have contracts, publishers have contracts, lots of money is invested (could run in the millions). Just postponing a release could mean contracts are broken and usually there are very VERY severe consequences.

I know that maybe i don't have the full picture, but as far as i know, publishers are responsible for the final quality of the game and it's their decision to postpone or not the release. And many, many times, the publisher is the one that rushes a game to the market, with bugs and unfinished stuff and then the devs are complaining that they didn't have enough time to properly finish it. I know that Frogboy said that from their point of view, the game worked and was finished when was released. But this is not an excuse for not testing enough the game (doing a larger open beta) and not using proven netcode like Gamespy or GFWL, instead risking with some obscure, unproven and untested netcode like Raknet. If they could have made the decision to postpone the release by a couple of months, just think about all the good stuff: stable netcode with Gamespy or GFWL, additional demigods (the ones that weren't ready for the release, Oculus for ex, that are still in the game files), useful friends list with matchmaking, replay option (that wasn't finished) and maybe an open beta to crush some bugs (the infamous ability bug that has recently been fixed). And now, instead of flaming our frustrations on SD and GPG, we could have actually played the game and everyone would be happy. So imo, the one who made the decision not to postpone the game and release it in this state is the one who is responsible for all this mess.

I only agree that customers should stop flaming because it is futile. Like the paragraph above. Nothing good can come out of it. The damage was done, everyone knows it. But on the other hand, i can't agree with the legions of fanboys who accept a broken game and say thank you. I accept it's semi-broken and i hope it will be fixed someday (slim chance, but that's another story), but i can't say thank you yet. I could say thank you Frogboy, for being so open, but that's about it. That doesn't fix the game, especially when you consider that it's not their game, it's GPG's game. When the game will be fixed, when some of the community feedback will be taken into account and we'll see some gameplay tweaks and content based on feedback and mp truly fixed (not only connections problems, but also group join, rematch, etc), then i will say Thank you.

June 9, 2009 11:39:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Epiphenomenon,

Quoting MrBoingy,
reply 9

The problem is that you all keep complaining long after Stardock hears about the problems. They know it is messed up. Flaming the people that are making an effort to keep you in the loop is stupid. It hinders communication, and you are doing more harm than good by constantly bringing things up. FFS, everyone knows about the problems! Give it a rest. Go troll on 4chan somewhere.

Well, isn't that the problem?

We're 'complaining LONG after Stardock hears about he problems'.

The most important part of the game is not working since I bought it (which was.. not sure how long ago exactly but it's more than 5 weeks.. I bought it pretty much first day it came out).

So let's say that's 5 weeks (I think it's more but for ease of calculation).

And they've been doing these mega-hour working weeks... let's say.. 50-60 hours a week?

And they've got at least 4 people working on it (Impulse, GPG, Elemental, Raknet).

You're telling me that in over in 1000 man hours of trying to fix the most fundamental problem, we still have no ETA on the fix?

You don't think that's even remotely strange/worrying?

But you know, I don't want to be a whiner so:

My problem is pantheon.

I've forwarded all the necessarily ports.

I've done the proxy switch.

Please could you give me an ETA on the fix that will make Pantheon 70% reliable (I don't think anything will be ever 100% when it comes to connectivity).

(i've searched the forums but I don't believe anyone has offered any sort of ETA)

June 9, 2009 11:50:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the info and I am glad to see you are still willing to talk to us.

To those who keep saying its their falt as 'they should have tested it longer and pushed back the release date' you keep missing the fact that in Beta it appeared to work fine. They didn't have thousands of people suddenly just try and play the game until it was released. It not something that you can trully test for until it happens. The same thing happens with EVERY online game. Even WoW had a rough start with the sudden increase in players at the start.

Give them time and all be good. Just play Custom games until things smooth out. Keep up the great work.

Also for those that think it has been a long time to get this game fixed you should have been around for Marvle Vs Online. It took over a YEAR to get the first patch, and it still left bugs unfixed. They are doing what they can in a VERY timly manner. This is not a MMO with a whole team dedicated to fixing bugs every day for the life of the game.

June 9, 2009 11:55:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Chris has emailed me and said that the comment was taken out of context.

First, Demigod doesn't use "Impulse" for its MP gaming other than displaying game lists in the client and accepting posted data.

What we would recommend to others would be Games for Windows Live as that would be probably what we would have done if it had been ready.

Second, I would be very surprised if SupCom 2 isn't available on Impulse. 

Impulse is a digital distribution system similar to Steam or Direct2Drive or GamersGate.  It doesn't provide MP connection options. That's what systems like GamesSpy Arcade, Games for Windows Live, and Raknet do.

June 9, 2009 12:00:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

edit2: don't tell me they didn't new that the web stuff did not work. i do not believe they didn't realised the network problems within the beta. and they still released it. and now they wonder about the reactions? gas powerd games aren't new in this bussiness. they should have knew what they will get.

No, they didn't recognize the network problems in the beta, and given their explanation as to why they occured it makes perfection sense.

Computer Science time:  big O notation refers to the scalability of a program.  Something that grows at O(N) means that as the number of inputs (players, whatever) "N" increases, the time (or space) the program needs to run increases at "N" speed, linearly.  O(N^2) means that it increases with the square of N, and O(2^N) means it increases geometrically (bad, bad, bad!).  Problem is, in the beta they didn't have sufficient N, or number of users, to reveal that the raknet code scaled at O(N^2).  The one time they added additional servers, they thought that was just because they didn't have enough servers up for the code (yes, in hindsight, that should have been a red alert signal).

You're telling me that in over in 1000 man hours of trying to fix the most fundamental problem, we still have no ETA on the fix?

You don't think that's even remotely strange/worrying?

In order to give an ETA on the fix, first you have to identify the problem.  In this kind of problem, finding the bug in the code is the single longest and most painful part of the process.  You have literally thousands of lines of code to go through.  You can't give an ETA until you know the 'code level' problem (at which point the ETA is probably "it'll be quicker to fix this than to figure out how long it'll take to fix it).

Given the decision (which SD has admited was flawed, btw!) to 'assume' proper connectivity during pantheon / skirmish, they actually have three seperate problems.  One:  find where people aren't connecting right, and fix that.  Two:  add handling for where they can't fix the above (i. e. its an end-user problem).  Three:  find a way to properly bug-test for the fixed problems, when they are problems they can't reproduce 'in-house' (AKA:  Large beta, which can be hard to get going).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.