The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Happy Memorial Day

By on May 23, 2009 7:34:24 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Greeeeeeeetings!

Well tonight we updated the new network system a couple of times. Micro updates via Impulse are totally the way to go. 

Anyway, the proxy server system is working far better than anticipated. But to go any further with improving the networking, we need some changes that GPG is putting into v1.01 which I mentioned in a previous journal.  I don’t have a set day for that but I am hoping this next week. We already have the release candidate for it.

I was able to verify that tonight’s update does fix favor points and favor items as I finally started to be able to buy some better gear though I still prefer swift anklet to almost anything else.  I think more favor items are going to be needed down the line but that’s another story.

One of the things the Impulse team (which, as some know, was assigned the task of developing a new network connectivity system after the…unpleasantness of the game’s launch) wants to do is have the game more aware of when people are using the /serverproxyonly flag. 

Personally, I’m almost inclined to just have all games be proxied. The big fear we had was that it would add too much lag. But we’re not seeing that in practice. A number of people can hopefully attest that it has totally turned things around for them.  But it works best when everyone uses it.  The downside (for Stardock) is that obviously we have to pay for a bunch of bandwidth around the world. 

In my mind though, it’s simple economics. Stardock’s name is on the box. Nobody cares who made what or why there’s a problem. It’s our job to get in there and make good.

Coupons

The Demigod coupons went out today. There’s been some mixed reviews as some people didn’t understand the rationale.  The idea is that between launch and last week, there were a lot of people who just couldn’t play the game.  Those people could have asked for a refund but they didn’t. They stuck it out.  Now that the multiplayer connectivity is largely fixed and people can play (and yes, we know there are some people who still can’t but the # of games being played nearly doubled overnight since the Impulse team’s code was delivered so we know it’s working a lot better) we want to reward those people.

To everyone else, including people still having issues but have decided to stick it out, we are also going to be sending discount coupons to anything on Impulse.  A lot of the coverage has neglected to mention that part.

Weekend off

It’s supposed to be nice this weekend and it’s memorial day. The crew has the weekend off to relax and recover from the past month.  I don’t know how many games of Demigod I’ll have time to get in this weekend but I’ll probably be around.  If you hang out on the chat channel you’ll occasionally see me on there (make sure it’s an op with my handle and not some random person with a similar handle). 

A lot of the progress this week is thanks to a handful of people who have ISPs/routers that we weren’t familiar with. I won’t mention everyone but here’s a few shout outs:  Boxleitner, pugmastaflex, Dopefish, Gank, Hoverdisk, JudeTepes, Lionheart, MrRyan, and many others who gave us lots of helpful data that has made a big difference. 

Have a great weekend!

+897 Karma | 28 Replies
May 23, 2009 7:38:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally, I’m almost inclined to just have all games be proxied. The big fear we had was that it would add too much lag. But we’re not seeing that in practice. A number of people can hopefully attest that it has totally turned things around for them. But it works best when everyone uses it. The downside (for Stardock) is that obviously we have to pay for a bunch of bandwidth around the world.

in australia we have had people connected to the proxies who have a latency of 500ms, is there a proxy server in australia?

May 23, 2009 7:45:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes and no.  Yes, there is a proxy in Australia but no it's not used yet as the intelligence for picking the closest proxy hasn't been published yet.

May 23, 2009 7:47:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

good to know, thanks

May 23, 2009 7:51:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The coupons went out today??

I didn't get one... Were they only for people who ordered it from the Impulse store or something? I got my copy of Demigod on Amazon, FROM Amazon, which is pretty much retail, so... :<

May 23, 2009 8:05:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I ordered through impulse few weeks back, no dice on coupons for me...

The aussie proxy thing I think is rather important.. should be mentioned in the patch notes that all proxies are currently in the US (i assume)

Thanks for the hardwork, would be interesting to see some post mortem's on this, more specifically on the drama & technical specifics of the stardock/gpg stuff .. I'm a budding game dev & designer, and love hearing about some of the inner workings of the relationships, and decisions. Its weird to me seeing stardock working on netcode, seems like something gpg should be on .. would be nifty to know all this stuff

almost book worthy .. at least a pdf!

May 23, 2009 8:06:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The connections seems to be working much better now, but the lobby still needs some work. You often see yellow pings even though everyone is connected. This can be very confusing especially for new players who don't know about the bug.

May 23, 2009 8:46:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm still gettin huge ping values (2000 - 20,000ms). Any ideas? Verizon DSL? What's up with that cause I still can't play.

May 23, 2009 10:16:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good stuff.  I look forward to all of the eventual content updates.  Thanks for being awesome, Stardock and GPG.

May 23, 2009 10:25:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just to make this clear, if we didnt recieve a 50% discount coupon yet that means we didnt qualify? We had to actively lash out about issues and / or not be able to connect at all? So all those having issues with this game sitting quietly on the sidelines with faith in stardock as a publisher to fix things is going to be penalized? Im assuming your looking at broken stats to see how much was played and from there you deside if were worthy of the 50% coupon or not?

Lets just say I'm hoping all of those things I asked are false because the quote that was said in frogboys journal was pretty cut and dry, easy to understand here's the quote.

"Q: What is publisher Stardock planning to do for Demigod players?

A: The plan is to send out an email this week to users who purchased Demigod prior to today with a coupon for 50% off of Demigod that they can give to their friends.   In addition, next week we will begin sending coupons for other things on Impulse to active Demigod players to help ensure a vibrant multiplayer community. We plan to keep doing that periodically."

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/352561

Please tell me I'm wrong and that all of us whom purchased the game prior to May 18, 2009 19:30:13 will be recieving the coupon for 50% off demigod as stated. I really hope it's just my impatience getting the best of me.

***Repost edit due to being deleted previously for no valid reason.***

I really like stardock and this game but just to delete my post on questions that are completely valid doesnt sit pretty with me. The reason I put it in this thread is because this thread has commented about coupons that directly contradicts what we all were previously told. An answer would be appreciated instead of just a deletion the post. I commend the moderation of trolls that I've seen on this forum. I am not one of those trolls so please dont treat me as if I am one also. Thx.

***Another edit due to realizing I was wrong with this last edit ***

May 23, 2009 10:54:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ghurka, I find it highly unlikely that they are just running around deleting your post.  Forums hiccup, and I am willing to believe that's whats going on.  That said...

We had to actively lash out about issues and / or not be able to connect at all?

I never 'actively lashed out', but I most assuredly got a coupon in the mail.  Oh, and I've had lots of connectivity as well as a few connectivity problems.

May 23, 2009 11:10:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ron Lugge,
Ghurka, I find it highly unlikely that they are just running around deleting your post.  Forums hiccup, and I am willing to believe that's whats going on.  That said...

We had to actively lash out about issues and / or not be able to connect at all?

I never 'actively lashed out', but I most assuredly got a coupon in the mail.  Oh, and I've had lots of connectivity as well as a few connectivity problems.

As much as I wish that was the issue ron there were replys to my original post that were deleted also. Kinda sucks knowing that for sure because I'd much rather it be your version of the story.

May 23, 2009 11:20:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

quote]we are also going to be sending discount coupons to anything on Impulse[/quote]

Thank you, I`m still kicking myself for not getting Space Rangers 2 Complete for $3.99 when I had the chance.

May 23, 2009 11:28:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks, Happy Memorial Day (and I'll be working on Memorial Day 8-4:30 )!

May 23, 2009 11:39:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thans again and happy memorial day. 

May 24, 2009 12:52:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Where am I supposed to get my coupon? In my email address registered to my Impulse account?

Because again, I have yet to receive one, and I had already promised to give it to my friend

May 24, 2009 1:00:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As much as I wish that was the issue ron there were replys to my original post that were deleted also. Kinda sucks knowing that for sure because I'd much rather it be your version of the story.

Seeing as how I remember a very similar post in a different thread of the same name (this one was new to today) did you by any chance just loose track of which thread you posted in? 

(If a mod felt that duplicating the post was unfair, then they should have mentioned it before deleting... or better yet, just no-no'd you)

May 24, 2009 3:52:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kei-chan,
Where am I supposed to get my coupon? In my email address registered to my Impulse account?

Because again, I have yet to receive one, and I had already promised to give it to my friend

they are probably sending them by waves, like what they did for the keys. I imagine they will arrive soon, if not feel free to stomp a dev

May 24, 2009 8:08:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks to all you Vets out there that can read this.  And prayerful thanks to reach those that can't

May 24, 2009 8:17:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Exactly.  I'm sure it's going out in waves because if you send out tens of tens of thousands all at once it can:

1) Crash your email servers

2) ISP tend to really clamp down on it as spam

I would expect the coupons to arrive over the next week.  My suggestion is this:

1) Wait a week

2) Keep checking your spam filters not only on your email program but with your ISP (some don't even send you everything "they" consider spam and block them ever getting to you but they may have a way for you to log into the web and check them anyway)

3) If you don't get the coupon by middle/end of next week then simply contact support.  What a novel concept vs. ranting on a forum.  I would think support should have a record of what emails the coupon was sent to and they can check for you.  But give it a week.

FYI that I got my copy of DG at Best Buy on day 3 after release and I got my coupon so it has nothing to do with where you got the game.

Again, simply wait a week and contact support.  Sounds simple enough to me. 

May 24, 2009 10:30:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally, I’m almost inclined to just have all games be proxied. The big fear we had was that it would add too much lag. But we’re not seeing that in practice. A number of people can hopefully attest that it has totally turned things around for them.  But it works best when everyone uses it.  The downside (for Stardock) is that obviously we have to pay for a bunch of bandwidth around the world.

The other downside is that you're fixing what ain't broke.  Let the people who need proxies use proxies.  Let those of us who don't, not.  Since day 1, I've been one of the people who's had no trouble connecting to people, unless those people had trouble connecting to everyone.  I really don't want my connection tinkered with when it's always worked, and I'd hate to discover that proxying has scaling issues the way some of the other things that were tried did.  Please don't proxy everything; there's no reason for it.

May 24, 2009 1:03:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

n/m

May 24, 2009 2:29:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bonscott,
Again, simply wait a week and contact support.  Sounds simple enough to me. 

Except that from what I hear, the coupons expire at May 29 - so by waiting a week it will be too late. Is this correct, or have I just misread it somewhere?

I would check it myself, but I have yet to recieve a coupon.

May 24, 2009 9:52:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Kei-chan,

I would recommend patience. Odds are these are going out to a large group of people which means it'll take several days for the mail system to send them all out.

May 24, 2009 10:36:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Isn't it just a few kilobites per person, though? I mean, it's just a few lines of text. Even a hundred thousand people shouldn't take days, unless they've got a very small bandwith for their main servers... or are dodging spam detectors.

May 24, 2009 10:40:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting SolaceAvatar,
Isn't it just a few kilobites per person, though? I mean, it's just a few lines of text. Even a hundred thousand people shouldn't take days, unless they've got a very small bandwith for their main servers... or are dodging spam detectors.

Why do you think they were working double time last week?  It takes a long time to type in 100 000 email addresses.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.