The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

To all the ignorant Americans.

By on May 13, 2009 6:06:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stop kicking me. Seriously. 250 ping is NOT too high. The fact I live in Australia is not going to lag the game. 

See, this game uses magical thing called netlag. It means that anyone below 350 is, is going to well have 350 latency. This means 0-350 ping is going to give identical performance. The guy with 50 ping is going to be just as laggy as my 300 ping (and laggier if his comp or connection sucks).

So, guys, stop kicking me. It just makes it impossible for me to get a game, because Aussie players are rare, and if I want to play I have no choice but join US games. 

- Sincerely, your sad and annoyed Australian who wants to play Demigod. 

+4 Karma | 162 Replies
May 13, 2009 9:26:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I warned you to change the title........

May 13, 2009 9:28:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting PurplePaladin,
Everyone knows, Australias have much bigger pings than Americans    But you should play with their pings regaurdless to be a good sport.  And stop kicking their pings, it's very hurtful. 

You should try playing with the Western Europeans.  I heard you can get much larger pings over there.

May 13, 2009 9:29:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JagerJack,
I warned you to change the title........

hahaha

May 13, 2009 9:41:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Change the title but I agree with teh stop kicking business. My 250 ping from New Zealand is fine

May 13, 2009 9:53:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Edit: Quote tags hate me. Again.

Everyone knows, Australias have much bigger pings than Americans. But you should play with their pings regaurdless to be a good sport.  And stop kicking their pings, it's very hurtful.
For your sake I hope this post was intended as satire...

Stop kicking me. Seriously. 250 ping is NOT too high. The fact I live in Australia is not going to lag the game.
See, this game uses magical thing called netlag. It means that anyone below 350 is, is going to well have 350 latency. This means 0-350 ping is going to give identical performance. The guy with 50 ping is going to be just as laggy as my 300 ping (and laggier if his comp or connection sucks).
So, guys, stop kicking me. It just makes it impossible for me to get a game, because Aussie players are rare, and if I want to play I have no choice but join US games.

- Sincerely, your sad and annoyed Australian who wants to play Demigod.

A valid point made using the worst title possible. Thats besides the point however; this discussion has already taken place here.

I always find Australians calling someone else ignorant amusing!
Visit Australia - the land where they don't have any toilets for 3000 miles...

Funnily enough, most countries don't build public toilets in the middle of their wilderness.

May 14, 2009 12:42:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Australians always complaining about something.

May 14, 2009 12:49:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Look dude, with how hard it is to get a good game going, I think it makes sense to kick high pingers.  And yes >250 is a high ping.

If it's skirmish and the game is running fine, no worries.  If it's skirmish and the game is stuttering or going half speed, who do you think we're gonna look at to leave?  If you guess "guy with the highest ping (and probably lowest sim speed)" you guessed right.

If it's a custom game and people are coming in slowly, sure I'll probably let a 200 pinger stay.  If it's a custom game and I have people with low pings pooring in, who do you think I'm going to kick?

May 14, 2009 12:54:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Insults aren't very helpful. We can all be friends here.

Thanks for sharing the info... maybe just don't be so harsh next time...

May 14, 2009 12:59:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Totally agree with the OP.

Being Australian, at night I regularly let late night Americans into my games and play without issue. 250ish pings on a decent connection are absolutely fine. I only draw the line at Europeans (of which we get tons try and join our 3v3 AUSSIE games ffs!) as 3-400+ms really turns into a slugfest.

Seriously, cut us a little slack.

ps. it's not the size of your ping, it's how you use it

May 14, 2009 1:07:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You guys all need to work an reading comprehension. 

See, if the title had been "All Americans are ignorant" instead of "To all the ignorant Americans", yes, I'd certainly call it prejudice and insulting. It isn't though.

Quoting Sly_Squash,
Look dude, with how hard it is to get a good game going, I think it makes sense to kick high pingers.  And yes >250 is a high ping.
No, it's not, for the reasons stated in the OP. You are a perfect example of the kind of ignorant hosts that kick me. 

Quoting MishYu,
are you sure people are kicking you because of your ping and not because you say stupid and asshole things like "to all you Ignorant Americans"?
They usually kick me before a get a chance to say anything. I've even had quite a few apologize (or say "too high" ping), which just proves the fact they are ignorant.
Quoting InFlames128,
It is always funny to see a post just asking to turn into a flame war. As was already said..I am pretty certain any group of people can be ignorant, and no, Americans most definately do not have a monopoly on it. Luckily for the human race, all people everwhere can enjoy the experience of huge groups of ignorant people.  That said, Its the host choice entirely if they chose to kick anyone for any reason. Hosting a game does not grant other players a bill of rights. It is NOT a democracy where there will be open discussion of all topics. It is a game. If someone joins, it is entirely in the host rights to kick them for any reason or whim they feel like. As they say..man up. I am sorry that people kick you for your ping, but if you were on a FPS you would get the same. I do agree that putting geographic descriptions in the title would help, but your complaints (and aggressive uncalled for topic) are hardly going to improve your situation.
Sure, it's the hosts choice. Thing is, at this rate, Australians are going to be driven away from this game completely. It's incredibly disheartening to be kicked from 3 out of 4 games, and makes me just want to play something else. 

May 14, 2009 3:54:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Australians always complaining about something.

GIVE ME BACK MY DUMMY THEN!

May 14, 2009 4:51:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

im always playing with  either americans or eu guys  i can't connect well to aussieland  i get 330 ping to over there

but i also got 330 ping to the SD  dudes  they much ghave like a huge lot off routers and firewalls

May 14, 2009 5:05:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You should host a game for americans, call it "US West Coast"-something. Since you are the host, you have the power not to be kicked and since they can't kick you, you can teach them about netlag.

May 14, 2009 5:30:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i usually see loads of custom games called "US GAME - BAD PING = KICK" or something.

Can't say I resent the OP for his post.

But then, I'm from "Old Europe" and since bush we apparently hate you all anyways

May 14, 2009 5:53:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I got Kicked because my ping was 220 >.>

May 14, 2009 6:01:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm an aussie player, but i only ever usually play what would be considered late night over here.

So the majority of my games seem to be in the 300-350ish ping region to  US or europe.

Best lag free game ever was a 2v2 me, someone from russia, japan and UK. We were all at 330-350 ping and it was lag free, With the exception of a spike or two. Very courteous gamers too.

What i found funny was that as soon as we were in the game, EVERYONE tried to justify why they should stay even wit hteh high ping, "im japanese cable, this ok?" etc. I.e. everyone had been kicked for "high ping" before.

The funniest is getting in a game with entirely US players in it, trying to blame my 300 ping on the fact the game is playing so slow, without even considering the guy with the lowest ping has a sim speed of -2.

Can't wait till its released everywhere. June is going to be demigod's first great month.

May 14, 2009 6:04:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting liq3,
See, if the title had been "All Americans are ignorant" instead of "To all the ignorant Americans", yes, I'd certainly call it prejudice and insulting. It isn't though.
'

Hah. He's right you know.

To all those getting their panties in a bunch over a merely assumed prejudice, the fact of the matter is, your responding in kind is only validating you as "ignorant" per the above wording. If you are offended at being called ignorant, then this is who the OP was aimed at. It is expressly NOT directed to those Americans who actually know what they're doing.

Having said that, there really wasn't a need to distinguish a group of people, unless for some reason the OP is only having these problems with Americans (which I can't imagine is true). Better if he had have called it "To all the ignorant people kicking me for my ping..."

May 14, 2009 7:06:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Funnily enough, most countries don't build public toilets in the middle of their wilderness

Ah, so you've been to Melbourne too...

May 14, 2009 7:11:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LOL AUSSIES

don't mug me, criminal!

May 14, 2009 7:27:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kstampy,
LOL Sucker =P I can't believe you ended up in the DG community.

Even after your horrible display of idiocy and ignorance in the dow2 forums (Mr. Can't go a day without putting up 50 retarded jackass posts) where you just would never shut up or say anything with any slight intelligence, I wouldn't have kicked you.

But now I will, because I'm sick of you. So don't even think about joining the games I host. I am not an ignorant American, and your title is prejudice and completely unnecessary. If you would have chosen your words better I would have thought differently and perhaps sympathized for your situation.

Good thing you are thousands of miles away and you can put up an arrogant douchebag front without having to deal with people face to face. Hope you like being bashed in this game as much as you got bashed in dow2, now people here are going to hate you too.

Way to make Americans look good not.  And "technically" hes correct "most" american games I join as a Brit I get booted just cos i'm a Brit.  My ping can be 100 (normally 100-200 for US games) but I get some junk about "Ugh this is americans only" or "Where you from Kuze cant you read *lol*" or finally "Your pings too high (120ms)".  Again most american games i join the kids in there are idiots.  In all of my experience so far in demigod, I've met nice americans, some xenophobic ignorant idiot americans. and general idiots from other countries.  Maybe the OP went alittle OTT, but most american hosts dont have a clue about pings or netlag and are therefore ignorant!

Please note throughout my post i said "most" i'm not tarring every american with the same brush.

May 14, 2009 7:36:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting PhogoX,
As an American, I have no idea how to fix your being an "Australia."

There can be only one.. so which do we sink into the Pacific?

Seriously though I've been insta kicked from Euro games too for less ping than that..

May 14, 2009 8:06:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Windburn,

Having said that, there really wasn't a need to distinguish a group of people, unless for some reason the OP is only having these problems with Americans (which I can't imagine is true).
Actually, it is only Americans (or at least ppl living in the US). I only join Aussie/NZ and US games. I don't join EU games, because imo 400+ ping is just too much. Of course, 0-350 is identical as far as the game is concerned. 

May 14, 2009 8:23:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Chaosnaska,
don't mug me, criminal!

You are, of course, aware that America was partly built by French convicts, correct?

May 14, 2009 8:55:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can someone explain what "netlag" is and why it makes it that high pings don't lead to lag in the game?

May 14, 2009 9:07:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Multianna,
OP well said.

Even the part where the OP speaks about  « ignorant Americans » ?! (In the not-yet-edited topic title.)

(I'm a French-Canadian ...) 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000719   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.