The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

To all the ignorant Americans.

By on May 13, 2009 6:06:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Stop kicking me. Seriously. 250 ping is NOT too high. The fact I live in Australia is not going to lag the game. 

See, this game uses magical thing called netlag. It means that anyone below 350 is, is going to well have 350 latency. This means 0-350 ping is going to give identical performance. The guy with 50 ping is going to be just as laggy as my 300 ping (and laggier if his comp or connection sucks).

So, guys, stop kicking me. It just makes it impossible for me to get a game, because Aussie players are rare, and if I want to play I have no choice but join US games. 

- Sincerely, your sad and annoyed Australian who wants to play Demigod. 

+4 Karma | 162 Replies
May 13, 2009 6:08:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It is true that I have played many games with Aussie players and with players above 300 ping without having any trouble.  Because the game is peer-to-peer, you don't notice any lag.  I'm not saying that the game doesn't occasionally run very slowly for some reason, I'm just saying that it is unrelated to the ping of a player, as far as I can tell.

May 13, 2009 6:17:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've played with people from Israel with no problems at all. I'm on the US West Coast.

May 13, 2009 6:18:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your best bet, is to just to keep waiting until the proxy servers get started up. Go make some friends in Aussieland you can play with as well. Also, make a thread asking if Aussie Demigod players would like to plan some Aussie-only games together.

And, uh, btw... calling Americans ignorant is NOT going to help your situation any better. All races and nations of people can be ignorant, not just Americans. So by your logic, me being American, is it possible for me to assume that Australians are as dumb and shortsighted as you are? Think outside the box and try fixing things rather complaining about a few instances. Do as I said above and maybe you will get a better time out of Demigod.

Point is, it isn't just Australians having this problem, even Americans are getting this problem too. So don't be calling out Americans when YOUR problem is easily fixable.

May 13, 2009 6:18:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, the game running slowly is someone playing without a powerful enough PC.

May 13, 2009 6:18:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You make a good point, but I don't think you want the first thing people read to be: "To all the ignorant Americans." You might want to change the title of the post to avoid being flamed.

Just a suggestion.

May 13, 2009 6:18:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm sorry you will be blue in the face and likely expire before you convince the moronic masses that ping in one game is not equivalent in every way to ping in any other game.

Some people will even get all pissed off and close their whole lobby if someone even suggests this is the case.

May 13, 2009 6:25:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My advice: you can't change your ping, so work with what you've got.  As soon as you get in the lobby, make a hillarious joke, and comment that you realize your ping is high but you make up for it with a very fast pc, etc.  Make some conversation, make it so they don't want to kick you.  You aren't the prettiest girl in school so you gotta work for it, strut your stuff.

May 13, 2009 6:32:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Mishyu, how are the proxy servers going to help? He's not having any trouble connecting, he's getting kicked because his ping is 250-300ms - the proxies will just make this worse if he connects through them (which he wouldn't anyway).

There are a few Aussie players, but Demigod still hasn't been released at retail here for some reason, so you can only really get a game going for a couple of hours each night. I've played a few games with US west coast players, in which I have around 250 ping, and that doesn't case any lag at all.

May 13, 2009 6:32:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's true ping means very little in this game until its in the 400's, in fact I dont even see why people post "US WEST COAST" and such, when I'm sure there is no one with more than like a 150-200 ping even the complete opposite side of USA. High pings may be scary, but since the US has the biggest customer base, especially at the moment, they need to be more accomodating to other countries since making an Aussie game and waiting 100 hours just to get a 3v3 going due to lack of people not even connectivity issues, is a royal pain

May 13, 2009 6:37:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

See, this game uses magical thing called netlag

And they really need to lower it.  I'm sick of playing TB or QoT and having to literally mash on the 4 key for it to register.  I'd like to press it just once one of these days.

May 13, 2009 6:43:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OP well said.

May 13, 2009 6:44:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It might also be wise to consider that it is the host's lobby. You kinda just have to go with what they say until the game starts, and when that's asking too much you can find another game.

May 13, 2009 6:58:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting UhelligGudn,
...in fact I dont even see why people post "US WEST COAST" and such

because we be representin'

WEST SIDE!!

May 13, 2009 7:07:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've been kicked from a game before for 130 ping.

People are idiots, and they don't understand how the internet works. 

Really I wouldn't mind playing the EU games either, anything up to 400 ping feels fine to me. 

May 13, 2009 7:14:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I never host and I'd feel bad kicking anyone... however, every game I've played where someone had a ping of 250+ always ended up playing very choppy.  Most of the time they dropped out mid way as well.  Some of those were rage quits, but I think most were connection problems.

I'm not saying high ping always constitutes a laggy game and I believe what you said about the netlag.  However, just from my experience, playing with a high ping fella ended up in bad games.

May 13, 2009 7:44:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting G4N35H,
It might also be wise to consider that it is the host's lobby. You kinda just have to go with what they say until the game starts, and when that's asking too much you can find another game.
I wouldn't mind so much if they informed in the game's title "US West ONLY" or "3v3 < 200ping US West". That way I save myself the trouble of joining, waiting a minute for them to realise I have 300 ping, and getting kicked. 

May 13, 2009 7:48:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

is his talk of netlag true? and the numbers he uses?

May 13, 2009 8:04:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As an American, I have no idea how to fix your being an "Australia."

May 13, 2009 8:08:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In my experience, Australians and Singaporeans can play in each other's games fine, if that helps. You'll welcomed to join. Hell, I had a game with someone from Holland yesterday (and I'm from Singapore). The game was in slow mo but there wasn't any spike lag. We proceeded to have almost a full game; we surrendered after getting utterly creamed so as not  to waste time.  

May 13, 2009 8:21:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LOL Sucker =P I can't believe you ended up in the DG community.

Even after your horrible display of idiocy and ignorance in the dow2 forums (Mr. Can't go a day without putting up 50 retarded jackass posts) where you just would never shut up or say anything with any slight intelligence, I wouldn't have kicked you.

But now I will, because I'm sick of you. So don't even think about joining the games I host. I am not an ignorant American, and your title is prejudice and completely unnecessary. If you would have chosen your words better I would have thought differently and perhaps sympathized for your situation.

Good thing you are thousands of miles away and you can put up an arrogant douchebag front without having to deal with people face to face. Hope you like being bashed in this game as much as you got bashed in dow2, now people here are going to hate you too.

May 13, 2009 8:51:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I always find Australians calling someone else ignorant amusing!

Visit Australia - the land where they don't have any toilets for 3000 miles...

May 13, 2009 9:12:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It is always funny to see a post just asking to turn into a flame war. As was already said..I am pretty certain any group of people can be ignorant, and no, Americans most definately do not have a monopoly on it. Luckily for the human race, all people everwhere can enjoy the experience of huge groups of ignorant people.  That said, Its the host choice entirely if they chose to kick anyone for any reason. Hosting a game does not grant other players a bill of rights. It is NOT a democracy where there will be open discussion of all topics. It is a game. If someone joins, it is entirely in the host rights to kick them for any reason or whim they feel like. As they say..man up. I am sorry that people kick you for your ping, but if you were on a FPS you would get the same. I do agree that putting geographic descriptions in the title would help, but your complaints (and aggressive uncalled for topic) are hardly going to improve your situation.

May 13, 2009 9:17:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Everyone knows, Australias have much bigger pings than Americans    But you should play with their pings regaurdless to be a good sport.  And stop kicking their pings, it's very hurtful. 

May 13, 2009 9:20:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

are you sure people are kicking you because of your ping and not because you say stupid and asshole things like "to all you Ignorant Americans"?

May 13, 2009 9:22:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting woca,
is his talk of netlag true? and the numbers he uses?

True.

Also, American aren't the only ignorant ones. I have been kicked from EU and Aussie games numerous times.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.