The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

@Frogboy - This is a job for YOU!

The government is finally getting of its ass a trying to do something for gamers!

By on January 6, 2009 9:50:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental ForumsExternal Link

It appears the FTC is looking into the issues with DRM and the effects on consumers and they are soliciting experts on the topic to participate in the discussion. I think this is the PERFECT opportunity for the GBR to be touted on behalf of gamers everywhere. Moreover I suspect several big publishers will have agents participating and we need a publisher who looks out for consumers to be there! Consequently I think this is a job for FrogBoy! Additionally I would like to see the presidents of GPG and ICG there as well.

Up, up and away!!!!...

Hell I'll even kick in for the trip costs if money is an issue.

+171 Karma | 45 Replies
January 6, 2009 9:57:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It's a bird...

It's a plane...

It's a frog...   A FROG ??!!

January 6, 2009 10:45:33 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You're right.   What's more, this will help Frogboy's Presidential bid for 2012.

January 6, 2009 12:08:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No kidding- if anyone should be able to speak on the behalf of consumers as a company, it's Stardock.

I'm glad the FTC is taking a look at this.  I don't favor government intervention, but with a money-driven society, a lot of choices are made for profit rather than the benefit of society/consumers.  The big challenge here will be striking that fine balance between companies being able to enforce copyrights and consumers not being saddled with DRM that is far too restrictive, not advertised as existing when purchased, and causes the consumer to repurchase a product or be unable to use it.

Good find, Spartan! (+1)

January 6, 2009 12:21:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

and causes the consumer to repurchase a product or be unable to use it.

Or worse yet, breaks the customer's computer (the SecuRom shell extension was causing windows explorer to crash every time I right-clicked the wrong file... which also had the effect of making it impossible for me to play)

January 6, 2009 3:06:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frog Punch DRM.

Had to say it since Ippo came back today.

January 6, 2009 3:38:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I must say this is great news. Hopefully Securom and Starforce will be banned from the US also hopefully EA will be shut down.

January 6, 2009 4:31:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Honestly, I can't see how the FTC can do much about this without either a Supreme Court ruling or federal legislation banning the licensing of software. As long as software companies (including Stardock, however differently they address DRM) can legally license software, they are free to put whatever limitations they feel like on that license. Even Stardock would be violating consumer rights right now if licenses didn't sidestep the first sale doctrine. Anything preventing you from selling used software (which Stardock's update policy technically does) violates first sale. At present, tacking a EULA on the software neatly avoids this issue.

Until buying software is legally the sale of a good, consumers are going to be victimized. The FTC might be able to up the threshhold of consumer notice required to make a license agreement (must sign before purchase, mandate return policy for not agreeing after purchase, whatever), but they can't end the practices that are currently pissing so many people off.

January 6, 2009 4:44:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This should be fun!

January 6, 2009 4:47:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

OKAY guys, the governement is involved.  Expect to solve the problem in 2050!

January 6, 2009 4:54:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting WIllythemailboy,
Honestly, I can't see how the FTC can do much about this without either a Supreme Court ruling or federal legislation banning the licensing of software. As long as software companies (including Stardock, however differently they address DRM) can legally license software, they are free to put whatever limitations they feel like on that license. Even Stardock would be violating consumer rights right now if licenses didn't sidestep the first sale doctrine. Anything preventing you from selling used software (which Stardock's update policy technically does) violates first sale. At present, tacking a EULA on the software neatly avoids this issue.

Until buying software is legally the sale of a good, consumers are going to be victimized. The FTC might be able to up the threshhold of consumer notice required to make a license agreement (must sign before purchase, mandate return policy for not agreeing after purchase, whatever), but they can't end the practices that are currently pissing so many people off.

The idea of a developer securing their product is fine with everyone, other than hippy pirates.  It does become a problem, however, when certain "copy protection" mechanisms can damage your operating system or your hardware itself (Hello, StarForce!).  At that point, a line needs to be drawn.

If a studio wants to copy protect the A-Team Collection that's fine.  It's not so fine if it sends Mr. T over to punch me in the face to make sure I don't try to burn a copy.

January 6, 2009 5:13:49 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Goodgimp, damn! I'd buy that collection and then TRY to burn a copy just to get Mr T over to my house!

January 6, 2009 5:27:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OKAY guys, the governement is involved. Expect to solve the problem in 2050!

thats sooner than never.  I might be alive to see that day.

January 6, 2009 5:43:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting The_Regicide,
Goodgimp, damn! I'd buy that collection and then TRY to burn a copy just to get Mr T over to my house!

Hahaha,   for that

January 6, 2009 6:08:16 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I believe in the power of consumers.

Obnoxious copy protection and DRM will die not because of the government but because gamers will simply purchase alternatives that don't treat them like criminals.

The NPD figures for 2008 came out recently and Sins of a Solar Empire was in the top 10 best sellers at *retail* which doesn't even consider the fact of the millions of dollars sold of it via digital distribution.

People vote with their wallets and the tide is turning.  Even iTunes is rapidly moving away from restrictive DRM.

January 6, 2009 6:22:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Frogboy - So does that mean that you and the presidents of your affiliate (GPG, ICG) development houses are going to submit panel member petitions? Being a publisher and developer with one of the best, if not the best, customer support reputations in the industry, as well as all the accolades SD has received in the past month I would think you at least would be a guaranteed selection.

January 6, 2009 6:36:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

OKAY guys, the governement is involved. Expect to solve the problem in 2050!

And cost about $1,000,000,000,000

January 6, 2009 6:53:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My main concern is that Sony, EA and Ubi will fill the place with paid meat puppets. I can see it now, when they ask for audience members to speak to the panel the people will say shit like "DRM is the greatest things mom and apple pie!" or "DRM is the frontline against this nation thieving pirates and all the evil people in the rest of world" -etc... After all look what ConCast, TW and AT&T did at the hearing they participated in the last few years. Can we expect less from the same type of companies in the gaming industry? I think not...

January 6, 2009 6:57:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

January 6, 2009 18:53:55

My main concern is that Sony, EA and Ubi will fill the place with paid meat puppets. I can see it now, when they ask for audience members to speak to the panel the people will say shit like "DRM is the greatest things mom and apple pie!" or "DRM is the frontline against this nation thieving pirates and all the evil people in the rest of world" -etc... After all look what ConCast, TW and AT&T did at the hearing they participated in the last few years. Can we expect less from the same type of companies in the gaming industry? I think not...

What if DRM ends up subsidized by the government?  That's my worry.

I just don't want to be FORCED to accept DRM to legally buy games.  If that happens, I would leave the market.

January 6, 2009 7:11:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FTC + DRM + Industry 'Experts' from the big publishing houses - Frogboy = Bad

FTC + DRM + Industry 'Experts' from the big publishing houses + Frogboy = Better but FTC and DRM in the same sentence makes me cry.

Sammual

All hail the frog!    

January 6, 2009 7:43:18 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Spartan,

That's what i'm worried about the most. Frogboy, please help the gaming community don't just sit there, help convince the goverment to ban DRM for good.

January 6, 2009 7:57:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'd rather frogboy create this great games and not waste his time.  Who cares about DRM when all the good games come from Stardock?

January 6, 2009 8:18:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Emperor_Seth,

That's what i'm worried about the most. Frogboy, please help the gaming community don't just sit there, help convince the goverment to ban DRM for good.

A government at rest will tend to stay at rest until acted upon by an outside source of funding. We're already winning in the fight against DRM, so I'd rather Frogboy appeal to the FTC's inertia than try to push against the tide of lobbyists and campaign donations.

Save the pushing for copyright reform, which is the real root of our problems.

January 6, 2009 8:27:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tototot,
I'd rather frogboy create this great games and not waste his time.  Who cares about DRM when all the good games come from Stardock?

January 6, 2009 8:28:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Save the pushing for copyright reform

Make it a clear reform, a water-tight, clearly understood reform.

January 6, 2009 8:41:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Tototot,

What Luckman said, if Brad goes to that case than it'll be the final blow for our war against DRM.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.