The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Interesting coincidence, or is your smartphone listening to you?

By on March 12, 2016 8:49:06 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2257

We’ve seen in the past that Barbie dolls (the interactive sort) and Amazon’s Echo listen to you even when you aren’t aware they are. Of course, Mattel and Amazon tell you that all information passed on is “depersonalized” and not at all invasive.

Now, makeuseof has noticed around the web, people are seeing ads suddenly appear which seem to be linked to conversations they had when their smartphones are being used for messaging or conversations. They deny having “googled” about the topic of the add involved.

The author noticed this…but also a bunch of shows he never watches after leaving his phone at his mother’s house.

This led the author to ask the question in the title:

“It does seem as though this is something more than coincidence. But can it be proven that smartphone mics are being used to collect data and target appropriate content at users?” – makeuseof

Well, Google and facebook deny all accusations.

So…have any of you folks noticed this behavior on your phones?

Source:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/your-smartphone-listening-or-coincidence/

34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 12, 2016 11:16:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bump

March 12, 2016 11:46:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't see ads on my phone, but then, I mostly only use it as a phone.

March 12, 2016 12:03:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jim...you'd have to open a browser to see this happen, if indeed it happens.

March 12, 2016 12:08:08 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

A bit unrelated, but nonetheless still as disconcerting, I have an old iPhone 4s that I let the service expire on. I use it for my appointment book with work, to listen to music, and to occasionally text my wife through my home wifi. I took out the sim card after the service expired, I only turn the wifi on when I"m going to use it so it's off 90% of the time like it was this morning. All of a sudden, out of the blue, I get an amber alert on my phone, at exactly the same time as my wife gets one on her cell phone... How is that even possible? Somehow, either Apple lies about the wifi being off or the "authorities" are able to turn on my wifi to push me that alert. It has truly stumped me how this could have happened... I don't think of myself as paranoid but I'm starting to get there...

March 12, 2016 12:44:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Avatar137...I can't explain how that might happen unless there are wifi channels the Police can broadcast over which you can't disable on your old iPhone?

March 12, 2016 2:38:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Avatar137,

All of a sudden, out of the blue, I get an amber alert on my phone, at exactly the same time as my wife gets one on her cell phone... How is that even possible?

They used SMS prior to 2012 but since then emergency alerts are broadcast by FEMA on a dedicated frequency from cell towers to all compatible devices in range, whether they are registered for service or not. Think of it as the digital equivalent of weather radio.

http://www.ctia.org/your-wireless-life/consumer-tips/wireless-emergency-alerts

March 12, 2016 2:46:46 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I guess we can hope that's a one-way channel. 

March 12, 2016 4:54:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

what is a phone?

March 12, 2016 5:19:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Jim...you'd have to open a browser to see this happen, if indeed it happens.

Yeah, I know. That's why I said I mostly only use my phone as a phone.

I do actually open Chrome occasionally, maybe once or twice a month. Haven't seen any ads.

March 12, 2016 5:21:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I get amber alerts every once in a while. Myself, my wife, and some guy in the walmart parking lot all got one at the same time one night.

March 12, 2016 7:37:05 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I kinda hope my smart phone listens to me....cos if it doesn't it won't know what to pass on to the other person on the end of 'the phone line'.

Cos if that's the case I just as well could leave it off...and talk to myself...

March 13, 2016 12:37:44 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Jafo,

I just as well could leave it off...and talk to myself...

Like that'll ever happen.

March 13, 2016 7:51:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

talk to myself

You know what that is the first sign of, talking to yourself.... and being you have an insanity that's well entrenched, from long, long ago, we're well beyond the 1st, 2nd and 3rd signs and into those that haven't been so well documented as yet

Yup, Freud and his lot would have been perplexed by your brand of lunacy.  They should have shifted focus from Lewis Caroll before it went viral, me thinks.

March 13, 2016 9:30:03 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting kryo,

Quoting Avatar137,

All of a sudden, out of the blue, I get an amber alert on my phone, at exactly the same time as my wife gets one on her cell phone... How is that even possible?

They used SMS prior to 2012 but since then emergency alerts are broadcast by FEMA on a dedicated frequency from cell towers to all compatible devices in range, whether they are registered for service or not. Think of it as the digital equivalent of weather radio.

http://www.ctia.org/your-wireless-life/consumer-tips/wireless-emergency-alerts

Ah, thanks for the info, kyro, didn't realize the antennas were AM/FM type that would work without the sim card installed or wifi being on... that makes sense. Really surprised me! I also got this response over at the iFans site:

Sent through the carrier most likely. So long as your phone's radio antennas are working, government services that go through the cell phone system will still work (like 911, amber alerts, etc.). It is technically a good thing to have 911 service on your phone, even when not in service IMO. If you really want to disable it, turn on airplane mode, then turn on wifi (if you want wifi).

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the divergent tangent there doc!

March 13, 2016 12:44:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Avatar137,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the divergent tangent there doc!

No reason to apologize at all, Avatar137.

March 13, 2016 4:12:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

March 13, 2016 7:25:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

2of3 can you send me one of those tinfoil hats, I've lost mine!!!

March 13, 2016 7:33:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The truth is that Apple is listening to you, and this time, they're not thinking about privacy.

March 13, 2016 8:37:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Borg999,

The truth is that Apple is listening to you, and this time, they're not thinking about privacy.

I doubt that it's just Apple.  Given to corporate clamour to collect everybody's last dollar, it's reasonable to think that Microsoft and others are doing it as well.  I mean, why wouldn't manufacturers and telcos eavesdrop to collar more sales, corral more bucks?

If one uses their phone primarily as a phone, which I do - and as a MP# player sometimes - I think... well hope that you're reasonably safe, given that it's an offence to tap/listen into phone conversations without a warrant.   I think it's when users turn to various apps as a means of communication, like through Facebook and the various messenger apps, is when the big corporates know they can eavesdrop with impunity.... after all those communications are not covered by the same kind of legislation as phone communications are.

Yup: "Look, we'll give you all these wonderful new apps on your phone that will do all sorts of wonderful things for you... what you don't know is that you'll sacrifice your privacy and security by using them."

I think that about covers it.

March 13, 2016 8:39:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Borg999,

I doubt that it's just Apple.  Given the corporate clamour to collect everybody's last dollar, it's reasonable to think that Microsoft and others are doing it as well.  I mean, why wouldn't manufacturers and telcos eavesdrop to collar more sales, corral more bucks?

If one uses their phone primarily as a phone, which I do - and as a MP3 player sometimes - I think... well hope that you're reasonably safe, given that it's an offence to tap/listen into phone conversations without a warrant.   I think it's when users turn to various apps as a means of communication, like through Facebook and the various messenger apps, is when the big corporates know they can eavesdrop with impunity.... after all those communications are not covered by the same kind of legislation as phone communications are.

Yup: "Look, we'll give you all these wonderful new apps on your phone that will do all sorts of wonderful things for you... what you don't know is that you'll sacrifice your privacy and security by using them."

I think that about covers it.

March 13, 2016 9:01:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

I kinda hope my smart phone listens to me....cos if it doesn't it won't know what to pass on to the other person on the end of 'the phone line'.

Cos if that's the case I just as well could leave it off...and talk to myself...

March 14, 2016 10:01:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

......I know how that feels. 

March 14, 2016 2:26:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The barrier on listening to everyone 24/7 is that it's a colossal waste of bandwidth and monitoring resources, never mind that it's illegal.  The cost probably far outweighs any monetary pick me up they'd get from selling whatever information they managed to glean before someone discovered the invasion and the company went bankrupt from the resulting class action lawsuit while the executives all went to prison.

Are they data mining the messaging service?  Quite possible.  If someone's going to hear you having sex because your phone is in the same room, it's either the NSA doing it, or there's a major criminal case in someone's future.

March 14, 2016 5:56:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

If someone's going to hear you having sex because your phone is in the same room

In my case that'd be a major waste of bandwidth.... given how many years they'd be waiting.

March 14, 2016 7:09:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting psychoak,

The barrier on listening to everyone 24/7 is that it's a colossal waste of bandwidth and monitoring resources, never mind that it's illegal.  The cost probably far outweighs any monetary pick me up they'd get from selling whatever information they managed to glean before someone discovered the invasion and the company went bankrupt from the resulting class action lawsuit while the executives all went to prison.

Are they data mining the messaging service?  Quite possible.  If someone's going to hear you having sex because your phone is in the same room, it's either the NSA doing it, or there's a major criminal case in someone's future.

Substantial Resources? A few servers pulling key words and matching it with an advertiser. That's fairly low cost compared to potential ad revenue, -  and executives only go to prison in extreme circumstances. Most are able to hide behind the corporate veil, or at worst go to a minimum security prison for 6 months. And the corp might pay a de-minimis fine and write it off as a cost of doing business. Then do it again in 6 months.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.