The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Interesting coincidence, or is your smartphone listening to you?

By on March 12, 2016 8:49:06 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2257

We’ve seen in the past that Barbie dolls (the interactive sort) and Amazon’s Echo listen to you even when you aren’t aware they are. Of course, Mattel and Amazon tell you that all information passed on is “depersonalized” and not at all invasive.

Now, makeuseof has noticed around the web, people are seeing ads suddenly appear which seem to be linked to conversations they had when their smartphones are being used for messaging or conversations. They deny having “googled” about the topic of the add involved.

The author noticed this…but also a bunch of shows he never watches after leaving his phone at his mother’s house.

This led the author to ask the question in the title:

“It does seem as though this is something more than coincidence. But can it be proven that smartphone mics are being used to collect data and target appropriate content at users?” – makeuseof

Well, Google and facebook deny all accusations.

So…have any of you folks noticed this behavior on your phones?

Source:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/your-smartphone-listening-or-coincidence/

34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 14, 2016 8:06:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Borg999,

or at worst go to a minimum security prison for 6 months.

For mine, they should go to hard-core prisons where there's a 'Bad Boy Bubba' on every cell block... where there's two in the showers and NO soap-on-a-rope.

March 14, 2016 9:59:24 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The primary revenue for a phone company isn't advertising, it's selling bandwidth.  For a server to be pulling key words, the server has to be transferring all those key words.  If they do it at your cost, you'll soon notice that your monthly data limit gets burned up in a few days without you using it.  If they do it at theirs, they'll eat into their profit margin far more than data mining is likely to pay for.  There is no scenario they get this done efficiently without making it immediately obvious.

Mass wiretapping violations by illegally monitoring your cellular customers isn't even in the same ballpark as insider trading.  These aren't minor crimes, they're felonies that come with a five year sentence and a $250,000 fine for every instance.  Insider trading isn't even illegal on it's face, one of the problems with the view that executives get away with things is that many of the "crimes" they've supposedly committed aren't actually crimes.

As a member of a company, it is your prerogative to dump your stock at any time, based on inside information that you have of that company.  What is not legal is if you share that insider information with someone else so they can dump theirs.  All these fat cats that bail out of a company on the way down aren't breaking any laws by doing so.  They're only breaking laws if they falsify the information going out to the public, or committing any number of other white collar crimes.  People that went to prison at companies like Enron and Worldcom were indicted for actual fraud, things like cooking the books to hide falling revenues, resulting in false financial statements to the SEC.

Going to a minimum security prison isn't because they're rich either, it's because they're non-violent and the only real concern we have while keeping them locked up is that they'll get bored and off themselves one night by hanging themselves with their own bed sheet.  According to Wikipedia, Bernard Ebbers is serving more time, at the same prison, than a would be presidential assassin, a hacker that stole tens of millions in wire and credit card fraud, and an eco terrorist that firebombed a university.  A great many violent criminals have gotten a lot less than the 25 years he did, including child molesters, rapists, and murderers.  All he did was preside over a bit of white collar book cooking.

March 14, 2016 11:59:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

A great many violent criminals have gotten a lot less than the 25 years he did, including child molesters, rapists, and murderers.  All he did was preside over a bit of white collar book cooking.

Of course...I'd have that as the benchmark...and have the others who are 'worse' simply executed.

...and I'd have the members of the parole board added to the list when a parolee re-offended.

Simple.

[keeps the incarcerated population 'manageable', too]...

March 15, 2016 1:01:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Of course...I'd have that as the benchmark...and have the others who are 'worse' simply executed.

So, we simply execute those accused of "worse".... actually guilty or not ?

Better still, YOU are wrongly accused of "WORSE".  Are YOU gonna be happy/willing to lose YOUR life because an overworked, ineffiecient legal system got it wrong?  So before you think it's okay to summarily execute a person who has been accused of worse, just think about how many times 'we' got it wrong, and that you wouldn't want to be that innocent man before the firing squad/executioner.

Quoting Jafo,

.and I'd have the members of the parole board added to the list when a parolee re-offended.

So, nobody ever lied to you to get their own way.... and succeeded?  And don't say it never happened.  We've ALL been duped at some time or another.

IF the world was just black AND white, maybe, just maybe we could be so certain and resolute regarding decisions about life and death.

Thing is, the world is more than 50 shades of grey... along with blues, reds, greens and other colours of the rainbow.... and certainity is not that easy because to err is human... and tell me who runs the courts, cos it sure ain't cats or dogs.  No, it's humans.... and humans fuck up/get it wrong all the time.

March 15, 2016 2:21:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The thing about it is, it's just too much data, yes you can collect it all, but you can't (yet) store it all in any economical fashion.  Privacy zealots can rest easy, no one cares about you enough to pay for the storage unless you're a clear threat.

March 15, 2016 2:23:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There are plenty of incarcerated that are guilty without any doubt of guilt. ..and too many parolees rape and murder whilst ther is no repercussions for the board who let them go

March 15, 2016 5:35:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Actually, the question I originally asked would involve a process akin to the way Google scans emails, etc. to provide "tailored" advertising, but would involve voice recognition.

Sorry to interrupt...but just wanted to get back to the OP and the original question I posed...

Has anyone seen advertising tailored to a subject discussed in the presence of one's phone within, say the 24 hours? I was just wondering after having read that story (in Sources) on the net.

March 15, 2016 7:54:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Has anyone seen advertising tailored to a subject discussed in the presence of one's phone within, say the 24 hours? I was just wondering after having read that story (in Sources) on the net.

Yes...back on topic....and 'no'.

One other point.... I don't use my phone for emails...so that's one less way the 'snooping' might happen...

March 15, 2016 8:24:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No, I've not seen it on my phone, either.  However, I do not use the apps any more, just for texts and calls.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000093   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.