The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” – B. Franklin

By on February 19, 2016 6:20:52 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2245

Tim Cook, is saying “No!”, in thunder to the DoJ.

But…”What if there’s info in there that would help catch terrorists?” That “What if” that makes us decide for ourselves the answer to Ben Franklin’s statement. Tim Cook said “No.” to the Justice Department’s Order to assist the FBI extract data from the San Bernadino terrorist’s phone. Wanna know something? He was right to do so.

Why? Well, for one thing, does it occur to anyone that the FBI has the terrorist’s fingerprint? So, why can’t they unlock the phone? Does it occur to anyone the government has super Cray computers which could have unlocked that phone? Why do they want the backdoor which they’ve wanted for a year at least? Why are they saying this is a “once only” when it clearly is not?

The FBI says it would be a “one time”, and that your device’s security wouldn’t be compromised. Security experts disagree: THEY say it will. Guess who I believe? Why should anyone believe that “one time” nonsense? The NSA collected your data illegally for years. Now? Congress has made it legal. Trust them to take your rights without a fight.

From the moment the FBI was created, J. Edgar Hoover collected dirt on everyone and used it to blackmail Presidents and Congresses and Courts. You think anything has changed? They’ve only gotten better at it, and justifying it because they know they’re dealing with sheep (sorry, Jim). The government has violated your rights with impunity, and poo-poo it, and they’ve done it for years…and will continue to do so.

So, if they can unlock the phone (does anyone really believe they can’t?), why ask a Court for an order? Because they want it “legally” (who doesn’t love a farce?), and more than ANYTHING, they want a PRECEDENT. That is what they MUST NOT obtain. The Bill of Rights stands as an integrated whole. The First, Second and Fifth Amendments most definitely depend upon the Fourth Amendment, and “What if” is Not sufficient reason to violate anyone’s privacy, just as “We want to know” isn’t, either.

The government knows it cannot justify the iPhone search with proof there actually is data there which is critical to the security of America. They are acting out of “What if?”. Well, that’s called a “fishing expedition”. It is inadequate reason for a Federal Judge to grant a search warrant. The Court Order was a serious breach of every citizen’s right to privacy and unreasonable search and seizure. Judges guard the Fourth Amendment jealously. They’d better, because the FBI would be looking at their phones with any imaginary “what if” they could dream up. Not just the FBI: Every local Police Dep’t. could “justify” such a search in a similar manner. Where is the boundary?

“We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.” – B. Franklin. Well, The EFF and ACLU, Google, Twitter and Facebook are standing with Apple on this. Shaping up to be an epic fight. I hope “We the People” win. “Backdoors” weaken security. They do not strengthen it. If a backdoor exists, ANYONE can exploit it, and will. The CIA has been trying to break into iPhones for years without success. You can bet the FSB and others have, as well.

So, Tim Cook is vowing to fight the DoJ’s Magistrate’s Order all the way to the Supreme Court. So would I: At best? There’ll be a tie, and no way to resolve it. Fitting in a karmic way.

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/18/fbi-apple-iphone-explainer/

190 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 24, 2016 3:24:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,
That any plans by that crowd would have had anything to do with the succeeding administrations actions a decade later is laughably preposterous.

Administrations come and go, true. But some 'things' always stay the same since they do not depend on the current administration. Besides, there was a reason why that plan was made. Just because it was a different administration, does not mean the reason was no longer valid - US foreign policy has been pretty consistent throughout all these years and all the different administrations.

Quoting psychoak,
France in particular was quite exuberant in their participation, launching the plurality of airstrikes.

Sarkozy was quite the 'cowboy' (perhaps to make up for his own small stature). He loved everything to do with the US. And Blair was not much different - Blair, Bush and Sarkozy. What a trio!

Quoting psychoak,
The UK even outspent us, and no one outspends us on anything...

lol!

Quoting psychoak,
Iraq, like much of the Middle East, is three factions, Kurd, Sunni Arab, and Shia Arab.  We owe this to the way the UK split them up, so they are indeed at fault for such things.   They all hate each other, they're all tribal cultures, and they all want their own country.  The Kurds want Kurdestan, the Shia and Sunni Arabs just want to be running Iraq.

No contest about that here, as you know if you read my previous post regarding Arab tribal mentality.

Quoting psychoak,
Bush had this idea that we could set up a stable democracy in a tribal shit hole filled with three groups that loath each other on principle and have a long history of murdering each other by the thousands.  Hence the crazy idea.

You see, I don't buy that. At all. I don't think Bush cared a tiny bit about what happened to the Iraqis. That 'lets bring Democracy to the savages' was just a poor excuse to start the war. Personally he wanted revenge for the attempt on his father's life, that I believe.

Quoting psychoak,
The US currently has somewhere around 60% of the reserve currency, with the Euro being the next largest chunk.  No hyper inflation came with the UK losing their status as the reserve currency of choice, and they were once in an even larger position.  What decline they suffered precipitated the loss of their position in the market, it did not come as a result.

Completely different situation. The UK at the time was not using Fiat currency, its currency was backed by its gold reserves. If the Petrodollar system collapses (and it will, sooner or later) the US will lose its permission to simply print more money to get out of financial holes. The number of dollars in existence will then far surpass actual demand (since they are no longer required to buy oil), and you know how the law of supply and demand works: the value of the dollar will *suddenly* come tumbling down. This is the classical definition of hyperinflation: extremely rapid or out of control inflation.

Furthermore, the petrodollar allows the US to buy oil with a currency that it can print at will. When that is no longer true, it will have to pay for oil in something that has REAL value.

February 25, 2016 5:40:48 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums
February 25, 2016 6:48:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There appear to be posts missing, me thinks this thread was pruned, or perhaps I dreamed replying yesterday...

February 25, 2016 6:57:10 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I see a reply from you on 2-23 and two replies from yesterday, psycho.

February 25, 2016 9:20:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,

Well, well. Guess Doc was right.

February 25, 2016 9:26:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The solution to the issue is simple, Just don't buy Iphones anymore.

February 26, 2016 12:43:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting Daiwa,

Well, well. Guess Doc was right.

Yup, this case was just the thin edge of a much wider wedge.

However, I do not can not agree with James Comey about Apple's 'great' security..... nor would the thousands of stars who had their accounts hacked and had their personal photos uploaded to the internet for all to see.   And yes, they all should have sued Apple big time for the breach

February 29, 2016 7:28:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hope you folks saw this;

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/judge-rules-fbi-apple-data-case?utm_content=buffere60aa&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=

Judge Orenstein said, "Apple is not obligated to assist government investigators against its will and noted that Congress has not adopted legislation that would achieve the result sought by the government."

That was a simple drug case...but it ain't looking good for the DoJ. And it shouldn't.

What they want simply puts too much power in the hands of the government.

March 1, 2016 2:48:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Hope you folks saw this;

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/judge-rules-fbi-apple-data-case?utm_content=buffere60aa&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=

Judge Orenstein said, "Apple is not obligated to assist government investigators against its will and noted that Congress has not adopted legislation that would achieve the result sought by the government."

That was a simple drug case...but it ain't looking good for the DoJ. And it shouldn't.

What they want simply puts too much power in the hands of the government.

Hopefully judges in the future follow suit and deny government bids such as this, otherwise it'll be open slather on everybodys electronic privacy, and not just in the US.  Other countries tend to adopt US precedents and I don't want that kind of crap coming here, where government want to know the ins and outs of a cat's arse.

March 1, 2016 4:17:19 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,
So, if they can unlock the phone (does anyone really believe they can’t?), why ask a Court for an order? Because they want it “legally” (who doesn’t love a farce?), and more than ANYTHING, they want a PRECEDENT. That is what they MUST NOT obtain.

I go with this idea - that the FBI/NSA/etc can do a lot more than they're telling us, but know that to make that "lot more" legal, they have to make a legal precedent. I don't use an iPhone so I couldn't care less about the loss of my data etc, but I'm still not confident with the idea that "it's only to unlock this one phone." There's an interesting argument that says that to be admissable in court, that technology/method/software would have to be tested rigorously (as are all instruments used to obtain evidence) and once that happens, the technology/know how to get into in iPhone becomes, intentionally or not, public knowledge. Then it's open slaver for anyone who can use that technology to hack into your iPhone.

I also have a far, far more cynical view of "The War On Terrorism" than probably most people. Edward Snowden and how he's advocating using TOR? What evidence do we have that doing that won't actually make it easier for the NSA to track us? In other words, is Mr Snowden actually a double agent?

Basically, what I'm suggesting is that what we were using for online privacy a few years ago actually worked well. Well enough to concern the NSA. Who had two choices: A) Heavy the anti-virus/security suite manufacturers for a backdoor much like the FBI are doing here. Create their own backdoor and then create a "I've just found out the NSA are doing mass surveliance, here's how to defeat it!" situation. Which involves using certain software/browsers etc.

March 1, 2016 8:14:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Your paranoia is deeply misplaced, as someone who knows from a genius programmer family member how easy it is to get into secured systems, I can guarantee that nothing the public has been commonly using since the dawn of the internet was actually secure.  The only serious limitation on the NSA has been the amount of content.  It's just not possible for them to actually look through everything, or even collect everything.  I expect the iPhone isn't at all secure either, and it's simply a matter of the government spending the resources to crack into them that makes them want to harass Apple to do it for them.  Why do work you can legally compel someone else to do for you?

March 1, 2016 9:29:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

Why do work you can legally compel someone else to do for you?

Good point...but the real angle is the legal precedent. That's what they really want, because anything obtained without it will be "the fruit of the poisoned tree"...illegal search and seizure, and getting thrown out of Court.

March 1, 2016 11:02:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They already have a legal search warrant.  The only possible legal barrier here is breaking the encryption, which is a crime thanks to our enterprising fools in D.C., but I highly doubt that applies to the government.

The precedent isn't for getting into people's phones, it's for forcing Apple to do it for them.

March 1, 2016 11:07:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Brad's post let the cat out of the bag.

The true purpose of this thread is about the ability to hide firearm transactions *when* guns become illegal and the government comes to take them away.

Stop trying to pretend it's about a blanket/all encompassing concern for privacy in general, and just start another gun debate.

March 1, 2016 11:25:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not talking about any gun stuff...look at the OP. I'm talking Privacy, and trying to force a company to break its own software.

And it's not just about search warrants, but legal precedent expanding the government's power drastically.

March 1, 2016 11:57:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I like guns...

I even sleep with them, I have a nice little ohai holster for my .45, not that it's in it...  Currently it's just sitting next to my pillow because I was too lazy to roll over and put it back.  Still, our inability to hide firearms transactions from Uncle Fuck Me In The Ass isn't particularly pertinent to whether they have the authority to dictate to a company that it spend resources to further their case at the cost of it's own product value.

March 1, 2016 4:02:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It's true that most -if not all- electronic devices aren't save, but alot of time & effort is needed to get specific systems open. Once quantum-based computer become real, the time for some of these hacking practices will be reduced to almost negligible time. You sure as hell can count the NSA in as topspot buyer!!

Frankly, all terrorists know this - and those which try to be conspirative about their whereabouts & contacts won't use ANY electronic devices at all. Or, use them to lay down false tracks/evidence.

Ofc there are always these which are careless & display a "after me the deluge"-type of thinking and don't give much about informational security or their buddies overseas, since they know they'll die.

Judging from the info given on this particular case, these alledged "terrorists" were not real terrorists at all, just pissed-off careless aggressives that turned massmurderers over a quarrel. Terrorism has become such a blatant politicised slang that is basically applied to anyone you wish to create a prejudgment in the media so noone comes complaining if individual rights are violated.

So just make that violation legal, and get it over with. You know that it will come anyway, sooner or later. If the can do it, if it is beneficial to their cause... some asian city-states already live in a near "glass case" society and their ability to do away with criminals & their general crimerate speaks for itself. And isn't there such a city in the US also (I remember I saw a documentairy on it, can't remember its name....) I'm all for making society more secure esp. if it prevents when innocents become victims at the hands of people that should've been locked up long before.

But don't be naive & think that this will somehow prevent terrorism from happening. The surveillance state is basically effective in dealing with low-profile criminals, mugging political opposition & free thinkers. Real criminals will always find a way to cover successfully cover their tracks.

March 6, 2016 10:37:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Chasbo,

How much do you trust D.C.? NSA, CIA and all of it. I don't trust them. Those who practice genocide all over the planet.

<sarcasm>The folks who brought us the School of the Americas, torture, and ingenious re-definitions like 'enhanced interrogation,' deliberately 'destabilized' freely elected governments in Chile, central America, pre-shaw Iran, etc. merely to implement 'regime change' against the elected will of the people.  NSA (and friends) would never use this back door more than the one time they promise.  I trust the NSA - they have my personal / individual interests (life, liberty, property, pursuit of happiness )at heart.  If you have nothing to hide - then you should support the NSA.  Our secret / covert / semi-secret alphabet soups have such a long history of respecting the voting rights of third world countries, of enforcing the Geneva convention (terrorists are defined as enemy combatants to block any civilian court shenanigans - so Geneva applies instead), etc.  Yes, occasionally they make a mistake, but its for us! </sarcasm>

Isn't the use of our powerful minds to massage words / definitions / language wonderful? Consider the words of the profit prophet:

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe to them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter." 

March 6, 2016 2:56:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ElanaAhova,
Isaiah 5:20 "Woe to them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter."

March 6, 2016 10:05:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The world is not black and white. To consider Apple the "good' vs. the NSA and other agencies is to have blinders on.

Apple is not altruistic, nor some white knight variant. It exist solely to benefit it';s shareholders, and would crush you under it's heel if you stood in it's way, as would any diligent organization who's sole objective is profit.

Despite the popular opinion on this board, corporations are not the savior of mankind, truth, justice and the American way. A corporation's priority is not for the benefit or well being of the citizens, just because their business interest and the public interest happen to align this time.

When you trust the business model to do the right thing for the public, you end up with lead in the drinking water.

March 6, 2016 11:30:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I really doubt there's anyone on the planet who is at all aware of the goings on and would thus be weighing in on such a relatively obscure subject as this, that thinks Apple is altruistic.  Fortunately, their motive, and even their character on the whole, is irrelevant to the validity of the suit.  The feds have, in essence, asked for a court order requiring a company to do work for them, without reimbursement, that will damage the value of work they've already done.  What I find as scary as them pulling it off is the complete lack of any coverage pointing to this factor.

March 7, 2016 5:43:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Was laughting about the recent interview of McAfee on this topic

March 7, 2016 8:13:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Borg999,

The world is not black and white. To consider Apple the "good' vs. the NSA and other agencies is to have blinders on.

Apple is not altruistic, nor some white knight variant.

Don't generalize my position.

In this matter (the OP), Apple's position is entirely correct.

Quoting psychoak,

I really doubt there's anyone on the planet who is at all aware of the goings on and would thus be weighing in on such a relatively obscure subject as this, that thinks Apple is altruistic.  Fortunately, their motive, and even their character on the whole, is irrelevant to the validity of the suit.  The feds have, in essence, asked for a court order requiring a company to do work for them, without reimbursement, that will damage the value of work they've already done.  What I find as scary as them pulling it off is the complete lack of any coverage pointing to this factor.

Well said.

March 7, 2016 9:55:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Don't generalize my position.

In this matter (the OP), Apple's position is entirely correct.

I wasn't generalizing your position. I was commenting on a post (by someone else), who framed this issue in terms of good and evil,  - making a blanket claim that gov't agencies are evil, and Apple by default good. Which is just not the case.
March 7, 2016 12:14:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's not that A or B are evil, but their actions either are, or aren't, independent of their TRUE motivations.

Plus, nobody and nothing in this world is 100% good or 100% evil. But if you look at the bigger picture, at all their recent actions and their consequences (or potential consequences) for EVERYBODY, you can pretty much have a good idea on where they stand on the good/evil scale.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.