The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

War of Magic, should it be brought back?

By on December 7, 2013 7:23:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Greetings!

For those of you not familiar with our Elemental game universe here it is in brief:

Elemental is a fantasy world made up of many different civilizations vying for control the world. There is a great deal of history and lore to tap into and we decided to begin making games in this world back with 2010s release of War of Magic.  Unfortunately, when it came out, it was pretty buggy and got some negative reviews. We fixed the bugs but the game itself was still pretty meh.

So in 2012, we released the second game in the Elemental universe called Fallen Enchantress which was good and we're pretty proud of that game.  We followed it up with an expansion pack called Legendary Heroes that further refined the Fallen Enchantress game mechanics.

We do intend to follow Fallen Enchantress with a third strategy game in the Elemental universe but it'll be very different from either War of Magic or Fallen Enchantress as it focuses largely on, well I can't really go into that yet. 

When Fallen Enchantress was released, we discontinued War of Magic. I don't think it's available for sale anywhere anymore.  My question is, would anyone be interested in us revisiting War of Magic in the future to release a kind of "War of Magic: Director's Cut" or something where we refined the WOM game design, updated the visuals.

WOM had some interesting game mechanics such as a pretty big emphasis on a dynasty system and a number of other distinctive mechanics that could be refined further.

Let us know what you think. Would we be opening up "old wounds" or would be restoring faith to those who believed in the original "not-MOM" concept?

183 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 25, 2015 5:07:57 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

God, I hope not for right now. They need to focus on finishing some of what they have right now...

Just sayin.

February 25, 2016 2:47:59 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

We're not really thinking a remake of WOM.  Rather, should be invest in updating what we have and making it available on Steam?  It would gain the engine updates that LH/SK have but it wouldn't be a new game.

The question is, was WOM "fun" enough as a concept to justify this work?

I personally think it was, for what it's worth. I would totally buy it again if necessary, with updates in it and all. But, that's just me. And yes, I realize this thread has been quiet since October I think it was. Still, it's worth it enough to me that I feel like saying so here.

March 2, 2016 11:20:45 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums
The Fallen Enchantress races are all too similar for my liking - needs some dwarves, elves, orcs etc. Would definitely buy a new version of War of Magic (especially if it had multiplayer)
March 13, 2016 8:54:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would love to see a rebirth of War of Magic. While saying that its reception was bad is an understatement, I still think that a few more months of developement,more stability, more focus, and an improved AI would have produced one of the greatest 4X of all times.

WoM had this amasing feel of a barren and bleak world being "healed" by the player. It had this stylized look that gave the feel of playing inside the illustrations of a fantasy book. The cities were visually amazing. While all factions were humans, elves, dwarves and orcs were here, in disguise under their human skin. The dynasty system, while underdeveloped, was a great idea. All the systems of a fantasy Civlisations were here, just  unfinished and unrefined.

Lastly, it had (at least for me) one elusive thing that it shared with MoM, the diversity, the feel of wonder.

With the initial reception to WoM being what it was, I think that Stardock's reaction was to cull the game through patches in order to stabilize its core. But in the same time it was sanitized, it lost something.

If a WoM return is comercially viable, please, make it happen !

May 1, 2016 11:04:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I might go for it, eventually.  Don't have a steam account, so would check reviews and wait for a GOG version.

May 8, 2016 2:57:46 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

No, I would rather you focus on a new game in the series, not revisit the oldest one.

May 11, 2016 1:44:50 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I would rather the devs focus on their new upcoming fantasy 4x game with Ashes of the Singularity engine.

1. Keep the dynasty/family tree system from War of Magic

2. Crafting system from Sorceror King.

3. Hero System and unit design from Legendary Heroes/Sorceror King.

4. World/Shard travel from Worlds of Magic.

5. Each faction with their own tech tree.

6. Each faction should play differently with their own mechanics such as Endless Legends. Two to three human factions, Elf, Demon/Chaos/Inferno, Orc, Undead factions. etc.

Take the good ideas from other 4x games and improve them.

May 21, 2016 12:18:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

YES!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time: