The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

War of Magic, should it be brought back?

By on December 7, 2013 7:23:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1316

Greetings!

For those of you not familiar with our Elemental game universe here it is in brief:

Elemental is a fantasy world made up of many different civilizations vying for control the world. There is a great deal of history and lore to tap into and we decided to begin making games in this world back with 2010s release of War of Magic.  Unfortunately, when it came out, it was pretty buggy and got some negative reviews. We fixed the bugs but the game itself was still pretty meh.

So in 2012, we released the second game in the Elemental universe called Fallen Enchantress which was good and we're pretty proud of that game.  We followed it up with an expansion pack called Legendary Heroes that further refined the Fallen Enchantress game mechanics.

We do intend to follow Fallen Enchantress with a third strategy game in the Elemental universe but it'll be very different from either War of Magic or Fallen Enchantress as it focuses largely on, well I can't really go into that yet. 

When Fallen Enchantress was released, we discontinued War of Magic. I don't think it's available for sale anywhere anymore.  My question is, would anyone be interested in us revisiting War of Magic in the future to release a kind of "War of Magic: Director's Cut" or something where we refined the WOM game design, updated the visuals.

WOM had some interesting game mechanics such as a pretty big emphasis on a dynasty system and a number of other distinctive mechanics that could be refined further.

Let us know what you think. Would we be opening up "old wounds" or would be restoring faith to those who believed in the original "not-MOM" concept?

176 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 11, 2014 5:47:10 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting charon2112,

I'd rather they just add dynasties to LH, amd leave WoM dead. They've replaced it with better games.

I hope if they do that, they make it either a DLC (with only that, I don't want to miss other content) or more preferably with an option in the menus to turn it on and off. I definitely don't want dynasties back. I did originally like the idea, but once I saw it in practice, just didn't really care for it. To those who love it, not saying to keep it out of the game, just please don't force it on me! (or force me to miss other content that may come with it)

October 11, 2014 7:27:58 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,

Quoting charon2112,

I'd rather they just add dynasties to LH, amd leave WoM dead. They've replaced it with better games.

I hope if they do that, they make it either a DLC (with only that, I don't want to miss other content) or more preferably with an option in the menus to turn it on and off. I definitely don't want dynasties back. I did originally like the idea, but once I saw it in practice, just didn't really care for it. To those who love it, not saying to keep it out of the game, just please don't force it on me! (or force me to miss other content that may come with it)

Remember though that you saw dynasties in action in a pretty terrible game.  Done right in LH, they could be great.

October 11, 2014 7:33:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am completely up for a remake of WoM with the experience and knowledge that the developers have matured until now.

I never tried the original, I stayed away because of all the bugs and design shortcomings, but the concept and many of its idea I thought they were brilliant. I would like to see a remake of it "done right".

I would also like to see a DLC adding dynasties and better diplomacy to LH.

October 11, 2014 8:25:29 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

64 bit with improved graphics sounds good to me.

March 19, 2015 12:13:23 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

whay not make it a contest open to modders, 20k prize to the person or team that make the best fix pack to the game and the option if they would be interested in a job at stardock.

March 20, 2015 1:22:35 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Is there any news to share about this whole topic? I'd absolutely love a remake of War of Magic.

May 15, 2015 5:09:00 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

A remake of War of Magic with some delicious 64 bit Oxide powered combat

May 22, 2015 3:30:08 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

We're not really thinking a remake of WOM.  Rather, should be invest in updating what we have and making it available on Steam?  It would gain the engine updates that LH/SK have but it wouldn't be a new game.

The question is, was WOM "fun" enough as a concept to justify this work?

May 22, 2015 6:10:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

We're not really thinking a remake of WOM.  Rather, should be invest in updating what we have and making it available on Steam?  It would gain the engine updates that LH/SK have but it wouldn't be a new game.

yes!

dynasties!

May 22, 2015 6:39:19 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting cardinaldirection,

yes!

dynasties!

This.

May 23, 2015 1:00:01 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It isn't.

I really think after SK, Elemental should be shelved for a few years until a proper sequel to SK, or a new game in the Elemental world can be made, or an Elemental RTS (the Elemental world seems very well-suited to RTS)

May 23, 2015 9:24:38 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

I'd be willing to get an updated rerelease of the game, mostly because I recall liking the game enough to play it often.

May 24, 2015 8:55:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would love to have the original WoM back with the updates.  It had a unique feel that is not covered by FE or LH.  Much more Empire management with food/population management and in my opinion a better base system for the RPG growth (Stats /Encumbrance / Separate Talent Points ).

June 19, 2015 10:23:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Please correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't Stardock already have plans to make a further patch to Legendary Heroes which might include Dynasties?

An Updated War of Magic runs the risk of looking like Legendary Heroes under a different name. The main purpose behind Stardock bringing out FE & LH as I understand was to replace Elemental but I can understand as the CEO if you still feel a nagging desire to make Elemental what it was intended to be so if you're going to do it at least make sure that it plays differently from LH although my preference is for more development on LH. 

And given that Fe:LH is so much further developed than Elemental but still with a lot of room for improvement why not follow up LH with another patch or mini expansion through some DLC content. 

I still feel like LH could do with some more work

-graphics improvements

-AI improvement

-overhaul to the civic and economic system. More specialized buildings, more resources, more Wonders, more unique map features. 

One thing needed for instance is a Capital City choice for 1 and only 1 of your cities (as a an addition to the usual town/conclave/fort options that would serve as a jack of all trades function). Partly because some maps and start locations don't provide a lot of expansion sites to cities and to make a capital city have a special part of your empire; both for roleplaying purposes and strategy if for instance you lose your expansion and you get boxed in by the AI or alternatively if your map only gives you a handful of sites to place cities. 

June 19, 2015 2:30:55 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Amazing how people keep coming back to this topic!

IIRC dynasties were planned for the Leader Pack DLC but they had to axe that (those precious engineering hours!).

June 23, 2015 1:11:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think to sum it up, we all would like to see dynasties, but I'm not sure what else from the original WoM anyone has any interest in that was not carried over in the sequels.

June 24, 2015 8:53:33 AM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Sorcerer King's artwork is looking fantastic! Legendary Heroes was a good game, with v ugly graphics (e.g. those leader portraits ). So what I'd like to see is Legendary Heroes (or at least a synchronous fantasy 4X by any name) remade with Sorcerer King style graphics.

June 24, 2015 5:57:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mrtrevorcooper,

Sorcerer King's artwork is looking fantastic! Legendary Heroes was a good game, with v ugly graphics (e.g. those leader portraits ). So what I'd like to see is Legendary Heroes (or at least a synchronous fantasy 4X by any name) remade with Sorcerer King style graphics.

Absolutely!

But even more than the graphics, I'd love to have the Sorcerer King stability! It just feels so much more solid while playing. Playing LH I have the feeling I'm tip-toeing around the engine.

June 24, 2015 6:59:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

N/A

June 24, 2015 7:16:12 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

For all its faults, I have such  an emotional attachment to WOM (hundreds of hours playing BETA's, initial release, and fixes) that I'd feel compelled to buy an updated version.

I don't know what your break-even point would be on a project like this but as long as it doesn't interfere with development of new games/sequels I say go for it.

June 26, 2015 1:53:49 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Yes please do.

I enjoyed War of Magic for what is was. 

June 27, 2015 4:10:14 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Something a bit more in line with dominions 3-4, liked how the domains in that works. Death or growth, heat or cold etc. Liked the dynasty stuff from WoM. Even the combat from Dominions might be great if it didn't require so much micro to setup.

Kinda want something thats Ck2, Majesty, MoM & dominions. Remember there needs to be OP hellhounds and other things that melt stuff because its magical. AoWs really failed to get the OP done correctly and the fact the AI took an insane amount of time across all the games was ridiculous.

I regret playing the beta of EoW and it really put me off even playing FE, at least something was learned from it. Now remember Multiplayer is a requirement and by email or by someother form that allows people to play their turn and give it to the server because thats what made Dominions stick out.

August 15, 2015 3:48:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Definitely!

Would these updates for the steam copy also be available in a patch to those of us who bought the original game? For some crazy reason I bought a physical copy of the game on ebay a few years back and I quite enjoy it lol!

August 15, 2015 6:49:35 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

To reinforce my earlier post, I tried to reinstall the game (had a bit of a hankering to play it recently)...and I wasn't able to get it to work, so I would definitely support this again.

October 25, 2015 4:18:01 PM from Sorcerer King Forums Sorcerer King Forums

So, is this going to happen?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001547   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.