The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

What happened to Global Warming?

By on June 20, 2013 9:54:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

ZombiesRus5

Join Date 02/2009
+312

What happened to Global Warming?

When I put my first above ground pool in around the late 90's we were able to open it in April and start swimming in May.

Now my pool is just opened and still not warm enough to swim in

I'd like some global warming back...

2907 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 9, 2016 10:26:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

ccording to your own weather statistics from official sources, Melbourne Australia set many of it's records heat wise in the late 30's, early 40's, including the temperature for March in 1940, which averaged 28.9 centigrade, a temperature five degrees above the norm and only a tenth of a degree short of your current average.  It's a pretty safe bet that you wont be beating it this year, but hey, shit happens and maybe you'll manage it even though March cools as it progresses down under, unlike here where all I have to look forwards to is more fucking heat for the next 7 months...

Psychoak....that 27.7 was a MINIMUM overnight, not a 'maximum' for a day.

As for all-time maximum....that was 46.2 [in Melbourne - 'Black Saturday'].

March 9, 2016 11:07:29 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

You Aussies have all the fun.

March 10, 2016 12:30:56 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Well people are talking warm when they can't remember 2014 when it hit 80 degrees at the first of January, and didn't cool off until May. Someone told me is was going to hit 100 degrees which would have broke the April 13th record they lied. After 94 none thing surprises me. At least be thankful that we are three degrees overall than the 12 hundreds. I guess if I am anti global warming I should also not care about the environment. Someone were really sloppy on this post.

March 10, 2016 1:17:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

See Fuzzy?  I tell Jafo his really hot March isn't actually really hot, and he completely ignores it, pretending I didn't understand what he was saying...

March 10, 2016 3:15:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

As for all-time maximum....that was 46.2 [in Melbourne - 'Black Saturday'].

That's nothing!   We had 48.3C when I lived at Goodna [about 30km East of Ipswich] a few years back.  Ipswich itself almost reached 50c at 49.4, and at Amberley, about 15km West of Ipswich, it reached 42c.

Not that I blame 'Global Warming'

March 10, 2016 7:28:51 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting psychoak,

See Fuzzy?  I tell Jafo his really hot March isn't actually really hot, and he completely ignores it, pretending I didn't understand what he was saying...

Oh, for fuck's sake....why not just teach your grandmother to suck eggs.

You probably couldn't find Australia with an atlas.

OK....Canberra....fuck-all distance from the Blue mountains.... 9 days in a row over 30.

Again a record. FACT

Why must you insist you know more about Australia's climate than someone actually living in it?

Yesterday's 'low overnight temperature' was the highest on record.  FACT

Australia is the center of the world when it comes to skin cancer....cos on this end of the planet there is a hole in the ozone. FACT

You burn within 12 to 15 minutes. FACT

Just because the center of Capitalism doesn't WANT global warming to exist doesn't mean it isn't happening.

[or perhaps it's only happening for the great unwashed]...

Starkers....the 46.2 was Melbourne CITY....second biggest city in Aus....not some backwoods.

I actually have lived here for 61 years...and am not an idiot.  I still remember the day we left Mildura...[hottest place in Victoria]..1959 ...I was 5.  The temp was 113F - before 'C' was invented [here].  That was summer....not March [in case you need to argue].

BTW....HIGHEST RECORDED TEMPERATURE [in Oz]: Oodnadatta, South Australia 50.7 C (123.3 F) on the 2nd January, 1960. <----  That was the summer we moved.

March 10, 2016 9:19:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

this is March and I live in Texas and its supposed to hit 29C that's 85F.  I know that not 100f but this is march.

March 10, 2016 9:26:53 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Is Australia in the Antarctic now?  Asking for a friend.

March 10, 2016 9:31:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Daiwa,

Is Australia in the Antarctic now?  Asking for a friend.

As Oz is the closest country to the Antarctic its waters come under our 'jurisdiction' ....though the Japanese whalers cleverly fail to acknowledge that.

March 10, 2016 10:14:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Starkers....the 46.2 was Melbourne CITY....second biggest city in Aus....not some backwoods.

Oi, I resemble that.   Ipswich is practically a suburb of Brisbane, given its proximity and that there's a built-up area all the way in between.  Oh, and those may not have been the official temps for those days, but they were actual temps observed by myself and several friends on actual thermometers in the 3 locations.

As for Melbourne, never liked it.... nor Sydney.  In fact, I don't like big cities at all.  The last time I was actually in Brisbane city was about 15 years ago.... been past it on the way to the airport, but never felt like stopping.  Yup, Ipswich is big city enough for me.

March 10, 2016 11:19:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Just because the center of Capitalism doesn't WANT global warming to exist doesn't mean it isn't happening.

To be clear... This is OPINION

March 10, 2016 11:37:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Large cities generate their own microclimates...not surprising Melbourne would as well, nor that they'd be warmer than more rural areas...

March 10, 2016 2:03:20 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's real easy Jafo, you have these things called thermometers, and they were in use long before even you were born.  People were employed for the task of recording what they said, and these records are used by your weather services to show people silly shit like the normal and record temperatures for a particular day or month, and they all say the same thing.  Your record warm March isn't a record warm March, but it has had a record warm day.  That's how I know more about Australia even though you live in it, because I look shit up instead of parroting what the news is running as a drama piece on how we're all going to die while I pretend my insignificant life span and imperfect memory gives me any real perspective on the long term climate.

March 10, 2016 4:40:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Again...I have never referred to this March as a 'record warm March'.  I simply stated several parts of this country have posted records for hot temperatures.

Being 'clever' and looking crap up on the Internet doesn't make you a genius, not when all you are doing is attempting to refute statements by clouding the issue with irrelevances. [think "record warm March"]

Australia has/is having temperature extremes it has not had before.

A few years ago the B.O.M. added a new temperature code/colour for its charts ....had to differentiate the 45 to 50 C [or was it 50 to 55] ....anyway...it was deemed appropriate to add for clarity.

Naturally...that is ONLY because they never had enough in the first place....and that temperatures were not simply warmer than expected all of a sudden...

March 10, 2016 4:46:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What's needed to add....micro-climates is all well and good...and places like Oodnadatta and Death Valley are going to get a bit warm because they're in the middle of a big land mass.....

...but 46.2 was essentially on the coast....and about the southern-most bit of Oz that isn't Tassie.

That means some seriously warm shit was blowing down from the North and oblivious to the latitude.

Needless to say, Hobart had snow on its beaches last SUMMER.

Nope, nothing odd re the weather at all...

March 10, 2016 5:55:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll see your Black Friday and raise you Black Thursday.

You can pretend I'm an ignorant yank who can't find an entire continent on an atlas even though I've seen The Rescuers Down Under, or you can break with your idiot government and stop ignoring historical records that contradict the modern delusion of an apocalyptic heat wave even when they're referenced as what happens if things get too hot.

March 10, 2016 6:50:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nope...not ignorant...just unobservant.

I didn't mention Black Friday... I mentioned Black Saturday [2009].

Beats your 12 dead on Thursday [1851] by 161...

4 million acres vs 1 million? Considering 158 years of 'advancement' in fire fighting....[not to mention settlement/population].

Of course....since you mentioned it.... Black Friday [1939].... 5 million acres and 71 dead....

Then there's Ash Wednesday [South Oz and Vic] [1983] 75 dead and a million acres....

There are others....just about every year...only not quite as 'significant' that we name them.

Demonstrates the historic accuracy that has Victoria as the world's worst bush-fire prone location.

So....your point was.....? ....

March 10, 2016 6:55:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Victoria - the world's largest barbie...

March 10, 2016 6:56:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Incidentally....as an Architect I naturally have designed/built homes.

I lost one of mine in Ash Wednesday.

I lost another one on Black Saturday [my sister's].

Relying on Wikipedia for worldly experience doesn't cut it when compared with Real Life [tm] ...

March 10, 2016 8:45:01 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have to spell it out, of course...

Post industrial human caused global warming results in unprecedented extreme weather!  Like snow in places that actually get snow, year round, right nearby, and have a history of freakish occurrences as a result, or really hot days in the first week of February that result in a massive brush fire the likes of which have never been seen before, except for in 1851...

Hot air from the north baked Victoria to around 47C and started the biggest fire in Australia's history, one calendar day off from your more recent extreme heat instigated brush fire you're using as one of those unprecedented extremes that show global warming to be true.

I await the next insults with the hope(faint) that they'll be more entertaining than the third grader crap you went with earlier.

March 10, 2016 10:29:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting psychoak,

Hot air from the north baked Victoria to around 47C and started the biggest fire in Australia's history, one calendar day off from your more recent extreme heat instigated brush fire you're using as one of those unprecedented extremes that show global warming to be true.

We don't have 'brush fires'.

And WTF are you now talking about?  1851 was not the biggest...in area burnt...or in death toll.

1939 was a larger area... and 2009 was the largest death toll..

So, again...your point is? [apart from trying to get a rise out of me]

None of my comments is claiming to prove 'global warming'.  I am simply stating records are STILL being broken here... both hot and cold [the snow on Hobart's beaches in Summer was a first].

Sorry if it doesn't fit with your perception of reality...but I can't help that....

March 10, 2016 11:24:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Aussies call them bush fires, the rest of us call them wildfires, or brush fires, in the case of ones like we're discussing where it's less like the Tonges National Park and more like Southern California's eclectic mix of scrub brush and trees.

1939 was most definitely not the largest, I don't know where you got that idea, but the fire in 1851 is recorded as being approximately five million hectares, as opposed to the two million hectare fire you're mentioning.  It dwarfs the other two, only being low in loss of life because there are far more people in Melbourne now than there were on the entire continent at the time.  The entire area was instead populated by sheep, cattle, and wildlife, of which a million plus livestock were lost.

I can't find this summer snow on beaches in Hobart, snow on beaches in Hobart, yes, multiple times, but in August, not January.  Summer snows have been at higher elevations, 800 feet or so being on the low end around Mt Wellington, with May through October having minimum recorded temperatures low enough for it to make it to sea level.  If it actually did take place and isn't just a muddling of recollection of freak summer snows and freak winter beach snows, someone needs to have a talk with Tasmania's weather agencies for having shitty records of stuff actually worth noting.

If you're not claiming these prove global warming, then perhaps you shouldn't be rattling them off while telling me global warming exists?  At best, one could read your posts and decide you were only making the implication, a direct correlation of cause and effect is most definitely present in your posts.

March 11, 2016 12:49:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

As Oz is the closest country to the Antarctic its waters come under our 'jurisdiction'

I believe New Zealand is closer... as is the most Southern tip of Argentina/South America.

As for for the highest temperatures in Victoria/ the worst bushfires.... given that official temperature recording didn't take place in Australia until the late 1800's, early 1900's, it's impossible to say that any temperature is/was the highest.  And obviously, the worst bushfires would be the modern ones in terms of property damage and loss of life... the population is greater, thus more properties than in 1800's.  Therefore it is not a true indication of severity in terms of damage.  I'm sure the [fewer] victims of the 1851 bush fires were equally as devastated as those in 1939 and 2009.

Yes, there have been some record temperatures of late, but that's mainly because maintaining official temperatures is relatively a new thing and cannot be counted as 100% accurate ot that global warming exists/is true.  The planet has historically gone throught these weather fluctuations before, and certainly will again... without global warming being the cause/reason.

March 11, 2016 1:02:30 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

This is actually entertaining.

March 11, 2016 1:33:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm glad you think so.... I try to do my best.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000641   Page Render Time: