The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Kickstarter: LIMIT THEORY

By on November 25, 2012 11:34:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+210

I don't have time to play a lot of different games but I saw this one and thought I would mention it as it might have some appeal here.

Kickstarter

Author's Site

This is a procedurally produced universe space sim with missions, planetary interactions, research and npcs.  The current work will be a single player game though down the road he hopes to have networking for MP.

His Kickstarter goal is $50k and he has already raised $47k of it.  You can get a DRM free digital game copy on release starting at a $15 donation.

This game particularly looks like it might appeal to Sins and Galactic Civilizations players.

What's impressive about it is it is using a custom engine to handle the physics of ship flight, planets, etc. as well as handle universe generation ..and it's all been devised and coded by the project creator in under three months with no one working on it but himself.

Sins and GalCiv players will definitely at least want to look over this project and I hope some of you might help the guy get where he's going--looks really worthwhile.

In brief, Limit Theory is:

• An open-world space simulator / RPG
  • A sandbox game : No story, no restrictions.
  • Completely procedural : A completely new universe is only a button-click away.
  • Infinite : The game universe has no boundary.
  • Third-Person or First-Person : Command your ship from within or without.
  • Deep and intelligent : Engage in far more than just combat or trading.
  • Twitch-Based : Aim and fire weaponry directly, as you would in a shooter.
  • Approachable : Intuitive controls and slick interfaces ensure that playing will never feel like a job.
  • Strategic : Command an entire fleet when you amass enough cash to purchase more ships.
  • Extensively-Customizable : Outfit your ship, fleet, and space stations with whatever equipment you choose.
  • Single Player : A universe built just for you, that no one else will ever get to see (unless you choose to share it with them!)
  • Beautiful and Atmospheric : Gaze in awe at a universe as diverse, vibrant, and uniquely-atmospheric as your dreams.
122 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 30, 2013 5:32:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Alright guys, it's that time again for the latest update from Josh on Limit Theory. My god, I haven't looked at the whole vid but compare to last month update, he has kicked up a notch. Just beautiful procedural real time rendering. Kick back and enjoy 17 minutes of what I believe to be a future great game... 

July 16, 2013 11:16:47 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This just looks like such a good game.  If you haven't sen it, check it out.

One notable thing here:  Mac AND Linux support!

July 31, 2013 8:58:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Guess I'll cover the update this month

Another month, another video update on Limit Theory. For anyone seriously interested in following the game, I would definitely suggest checking out the forums, there's nice daily dev logs posted to keep an eye on how things are going.

July 31, 2013 10:01:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting davidabc66,
Guess I'll cover the update this month 

Another month, another video update on Limit Theory. For anyone seriously interested in following the game, I would definitely suggest checking out the forums, there's nice daily dev logs posted to keep an eye on how things are going.

Thanks Dave. Can't be everywhere at once. Mind you, in the span of two days, he created the planet textures and the water, he did that this afternoon. And it's all procedural generated. I really can't wait to see this game when it's fully polished... 

July 31, 2013 10:02:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Double post, rats. ..

July 31, 2013 11:07:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I love this dreamer.  He's blasting through everything like nothing is impossible.  

And now that I see the free flying vid above maybe he'll have a brainstorm and figure out a way to make it available in the future.  He seems to be able to do anything he puts his mind too.

backs out of the room slowly (in awe of this man's work)...  

September 4, 2013 1:39:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hey guys, was a busy Labor Day weekend for me and my co-workers. For those of who know me, my day job is moving people who lost money while at Atlantic City whose company logo is a dog on side of a bus. Anyway, I haven't yet seen this months latest update from Josh, but more than likely. It is filled with eye candy galore as he pushes the envelope of Limit Theory...Enjoy...

October 7, 2013 1:57:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Tried to post this last week but the forums wasn't haven't none of it. Anyway, this is update #9 of Limit Theory and Josh, the dev for the game. Is showing off his beautifully crafted eye candy again. Enjoy...

October 7, 2013 6:44:35 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

no modding support: no support.

October 7, 2013 10:13:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Dark_Ansem,

no modding support: no support.

Not looking like that will be the case. Current talk on the LT forums from the dev seems to be regarding moving all/most relevant game data variables to externally accessible and editable text files, including things like game config settings, research trees, and possibly even the values used by the procedural generation algorithms responsible for creating everything.

So, not looking like there will be an actual built in 'mod manager' at the moment, but such things are easily created by the community if need be.

October 7, 2013 11:30:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

but, for example, no custom models!

October 7, 2013 3:46:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Dark_Ansem,

but, for example, no custom models!

But, an infinite number of procedurally generated ships generated by algorithms which can be customized

But a fair point if you wanted your Star Wars or whatever mods converting the game into something else, however I would not rule out those options either at this point, perhaps we'll yet see an option to pull ships from external models if desired.

October 7, 2013 5:23:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

maybe

the game did look like boss at first.

October 7, 2013 6:44:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Dark_Ansem,
the game did look like boss at first.

You have to realize that this game is still early in it's development, mid-alpha at best. A long way before it gets to beta. Even the ships in game are placeholders and he, Josh. Doesn't know what the final look of the ships will be. The cool part is the engine, it alone will be the coolest addition in any modders library...

October 8, 2013 3:53:37 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

what is so special about it?I've read something, but I can't quite understand.

October 8, 2013 10:22:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Dark_Ansem,

what is so special about it?I've read something, but I can't quite understand.

Nothing, yet. What could be special is dependent on how well the final product lives up to the developers ambitions, and while it's looking good it's still too early to really determine if that will happen.

So, the basics. It's a space sim. Not much to explain there, think Freelancer (look it up if you need to). You fly your ship around, take on missions, buy stuff, sell stuff, upgrade your ship, whatever you want really.

That much is fairly common, a genre of game that I enjoy but nothing standing out much.

Next, less common level is the fleet based stuff. You're not just limited to upgrading your one ship, you can buy more, hire others, own/build stations, build up a fleet play out great battles like an RTS if you desired.

Great features, but here we're on par with the X series, so nothing new (although hopefully a bit more friendly on the UI side)

Now we come to Limit Theory's main advertising point, the 'limit' part. Ideally, there are none. The Universe is infinite and will expand as you explore, allowing limitless gameplay.

In words, that part sounds great. Realistically, Playing with 1,000 systems rather than a million likely wouldn't hurt the experience so this probably isn't going to be a huge deal. But in addition to that, everything else is generated on the fly as well. Weapons, ships, some technologies, NPC's/factions, everything. So every game you play can be an entirely different universe.

That stuff is great, but all things said, arguably not significantly more impressive than a well coded and well designed variations of game series that already exist.

Now, all preceding things aside, what will make LT special? Hopefully, it's the AI. This is the one still uncertain feature that will determine if the game is good or amazing. If the dev lives up to his own dreams, then the selling point of this game is in smart, believable AI leading to a Universe that feels alive.

If the AI meets that goal, we'll have not simply a great, expansive space game similar to numerous others, but a true space sim, one where we can live in a universe that actually feels like it exists without us, as well as feel like our actions impact the course of the universe (because they do).

On the other hand, if the AI doesn't meet that goal, LT will not be all that special. I'll still play it, but basically it'll just boil down to 'yet another' space game, hopefully more stable and with smoother performance thanks to a quality code than many other games, but nothing super amazing.

Time will tell, hopes are still high.

November 4, 2013 1:26:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Greetings all, I'm a little late on Dev Update 10. I do have a day job, anyway. Be prepared to blown away by the visuals as Josh has set the bar again. He talks a little bit about blooming, a simple tech tree and a editor that your modders will love. Grab some popcorn, this is his longest update past the 22 minute mark. Enjoy...

November 4, 2013 1:31:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No real mods for this game, however.

November 4, 2013 1:50:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Dark_Ansem,
No real mods for this game

True, but you can change on how things work in the game, that starts at the 14 minute mark the way he explains in the vid. You did watch it didn't you..?

November 4, 2013 2:18:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

only half of it, afterwards the vid had an error and it stopped. but unless I am grossely mistaken, the fact that I cannot add, say, new ships (new models, sounds, etc) nor it is possible to pilot more than 1 ship (or that was Kinetic Void)?

November 4, 2013 2:30:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Dark_Ansem,
nor it is possible to pilot more than 1 ship

You can pilot more than one ship like in the X series of games with the exception of Rebirth and X1 and X2...

November 4, 2013 2:59:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

in short, every x game except x3.

but the lack of adding custom resources really bugs me off.

also, what do we know about gameplay? does it featyre a hardpoint system, for example?

November 4, 2013 3:51:57 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Dark_Ansem,

in short, every x game except x3.

No, you can pilot other ships and own them in X3

but the lack of adding custom resources really bugs me off.

No, you can change the parameters to affect the procedural generation of ships, resources, vfx, etc...  

Grand Tools.

Perhaps the LT engine's greatest technical achievement thus far is manifested in the LT data editor, a visual data viewing and editing tool that can take any piece of information in the engine, map it out structurally, and allow the user to traverse and modify it in real-time.  The beauty of the tool is not just that it makes for some cool eye candy - but also that it can allow easy editing of any of the in-game data types.  From a practical standpoint, this means that modding - at least data-based modding - will be as easy as loading data from external files that can then be edited easily in LTDE.

also, what do we know about gameplay? does it feature a hard point system, for example?

Game is still in development by ONE person, he is the only one with the exception of a few more, not a dozen team members working this game, only one primary person which, looking at what he has done is phenomenal...

All your questions answered, maybe...

November 4, 2013 6:05:17 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I do not understand. what does data-based modding mean?

November 4, 2013 6:29:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If you haven't checked his updates do so now.

He discussed how he is handling the AI for NPCs and it sounds incerdibley cool.

Instead of "spawning" and "triggering" for random player encounters, the NPCs 'exist" and pursue activities like players.

The example he gives is he started with a "first law" for all NPCs in a system, "Make money".  Then he provided various means for them to do that...trading, piracy, mining.

He let's the AI decide what a particular ship "wants to do".

From there he'll layer oin new directives like "upgrade your ship", "avoid conflict", etc.

So each NPC you run into is an unknown (as it should be).

It may be that it has upgraded, runs into you, puny human, and then decides it can make more money now by attacking you instead of mining like it did before.

Very cool.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.