The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Kickstarter: LIMIT THEORY

By on November 25, 2012 11:34:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Sinperium

Join Date 02/2010
+210

I don't have time to play a lot of different games but I saw this one and thought I would mention it as it might have some appeal here.

Kickstarter

Author's Site

This is a procedurally produced universe space sim with missions, planetary interactions, research and npcs.  The current work will be a single player game though down the road he hopes to have networking for MP.

His Kickstarter goal is $50k and he has already raised $47k of it.  You can get a DRM free digital game copy on release starting at a $15 donation.

This game particularly looks like it might appeal to Sins and Galactic Civilizations players.

What's impressive about it is it is using a custom engine to handle the physics of ship flight, planets, etc. as well as handle universe generation ..and it's all been devised and coded by the project creator in under three months with no one working on it but himself.

Sins and GalCiv players will definitely at least want to look over this project and I hope some of you might help the guy get where he's going--looks really worthwhile.

In brief, Limit Theory is:

• An open-world space simulator / RPG
  • A sandbox game : No story, no restrictions.
  • Completely procedural : A completely new universe is only a button-click away.
  • Infinite : The game universe has no boundary.
  • Third-Person or First-Person : Command your ship from within or without.
  • Deep and intelligent : Engage in far more than just combat or trading.
  • Twitch-Based : Aim and fire weaponry directly, as you would in a shooter.
  • Approachable : Intuitive controls and slick interfaces ensure that playing will never feel like a job.
  • Strategic : Command an entire fleet when you amass enough cash to purchase more ships.
  • Extensively-Customizable : Outfit your ship, fleet, and space stations with whatever equipment you choose.
  • Single Player : A universe built just for you, that no one else will ever get to see (unless you choose to share it with them!)
  • Beautiful and Atmospheric : Gaze in awe at a universe as diverse, vibrant, and uniquely-atmospheric as your dreams.
122 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 1, 2013 4:35:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting bonscott,

He's a one man band, created the engine himself in his dorm room at night.

Exactly...

Quoting Campaigner,
I don't understand what's so good or cool about it. Good graphics where his ship slowly moves through space.

He even admits during the video that it was not optimised yet. You're looking at a very early alpha game in the making...

You aren't looking at the grand scheme of things. His game engine alone could be worth millions to other Developers/Publishers because he created it from the ground up, Now, substitute his graphics say something like Sins or Eve online. An entire galaxy running on your rig without slow down.

Then you can see the endless possibilities this means for space based RTS games...

April 1, 2013 7:14:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I kicked in on this project.  This person is a wonderful new talent.  I can't wait to see where his imagination takes him.  

April 1, 2013 8:07:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting G_Bison,

He even admits during the video that it was not optimised yet. You're looking at a very early alpha game in the making...

You aren't looking at the grand scheme of things. His game engine alone could be worth millions to other Developers/Publishers because he created it from the ground up, Now, substitute his graphics say something like Sins or Eve online. An entire galaxy running on your rig without slow down.

Then you can see the endless possibilities this means for space based RTS games...

I thought the graphics was tied to the engine to a certain extent (like Half-life to Half-life 2 or something).

I don't understand what is so great about he having created that engine since I don't understand how hard it is to create a gameengine.

I know from Brads posts that it takes years to create a good gameengine but I don't understand if it's just about "doing it" or if it's trial and error or however it is you do it.

April 1, 2013 9:28:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Campaigner,
I know from Brads posts that it takes years to create a good gameengine but I don't understand if it's just about "doing it" or if it's trial and error or however it is you do it.

I don't seem to understand the question but I'll try answering it.

A game engine takes years to develop into something that's actual "workable" and suitable for gameplay regardless of the method, that includes testing to see if the thing works. Ypu need an actual team of developers if you want to create in a "short" amount of time (still a few years though).

The fact that he is able to create one by himself, that's actually workable is an achievement onto its own.

We arn't even talking about the fact that he still has to create art, music, and gameplay assets.

April 2, 2013 2:11:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rovert10,

Quoting Campaigner, reply 28I know from Brads posts that it takes years to create a good gameengine but I don't understand if it's just about "doing it" or if it's trial and error or however it is you do it.

I don't seem to understand the question but I'll try answering it.

I wonder if creating a gameengine is easy but just tedious (like moving crates around in a warehouse. Anyone can do it but it's tedious) or if it's hard to know HOW to do it (like engineering with its advanced math).

April 2, 2013 2:29:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It is hard to do since it requires extensive knowledge of coding and also tedious as there's constant testing, bug-fixing, and optimization going on.  A lot of new games are choosing to license an already-existing engine such as CryEngine 3 or Unreal Engine because its cheaper and easier than the studios making a brand new engine for their game.

April 2, 2013 3:37:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And even Chris Roberts, creator of Wing Commander. Has even shown support for Josh. But back to his game engine, I do believe his coding skills is like we breathing. It's second nature, not saying he's a genius, but over on the Limit Theory forums, when he get's to talking about coding. Wow, I have to break out my coding to ebonics Thesaurus to know what he is saying, he get's deep. But, he's a cool guy and he believes in what he is doing, can't wait to see his finished masterpiece.... 

April 28, 2013 9:16:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Alright guys, moments ago, Josh has just uploaded Limit Theory v1.0 take a look what he has done since the beginning of April...

April 29, 2013 10:52:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Oh very cool--thanks for posting this!

April 29, 2013 11:18:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, if wasn't for you, I've wouldn't know about Josh and his creation. I'm just waiting for the beta and hopefully be a part of it...

April 30, 2013 12:05:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I have several programmer friends and it's a real accomplishment for a single person to produce something like this.  Looks better every time he updates.

April 30, 2013 12:20:38 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
it's a real accomplishment for a single person to produce something like this.  Looks better every time he updates.

Indeed...

May 31, 2013 2:23:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Alright gang, it's that time again. The latest update from Josh on Limit Theory. Once again, the progress he has made is phenomenal. Everything is procedural so if you go back and watch previous videos, you can see the progression as this game takes shape. Anyway, enough of me yammering. Watch the vid...

June 3, 2013 6:32:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Very cool.

June 3, 2013 7:17:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'll actually be buying his game when it comes out.

Chris Roberts (Freelancer, Wing Commander, Star Citizen) pledged to his project and said he would have hired him if he hadn't progressed so far in his own work already.

June 3, 2013 7:39:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This looks really awesome. The fact that it's all procedurally generated is sweet. I have a question, though (maybe this isn't the best place for it but here goes): what about gameplay? Has there been much discussion of that? I looked at the dev logs and he seems to be really good at what he does (making an engine to generate and display an awe-inspiring universe), but I couldn't find anything about what kind of things you'll be doing in said universe.

June 3, 2013 8:09:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

He is basically working on the engine right now but also has someof the ship combat done.

The game will be somewhere between Sins and GalCiv in concept.

Will be interesting to see.

June 3, 2013 8:34:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting pomalley,
what about gameplay?

but I couldn't find anything about what kind of things you'll be doing in said universe.

For the most part, if you played the X3 series, mostly sandbox and may have some type of story play or campaign...

Here's a couple of vids from the recent pre alpha release of people playing around in Josh's universe...

June 3, 2013 8:39:16 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting G_Bison,

Quoting pomalley, reply 41what about gameplay?

but I couldn't find anything about what kind of things you'll be doing in said universe.

For the most part, if you played the X3 series, mostly sandbox and may have some type of story play or campaign...

Here's a vid from the recent pre alpha release of people playing around in Josh's universe...

June 3, 2013 8:43:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting G_Bison,

what about gameplay?

Here's a vid from the recent pre alpha release of people playing around in Josh's universe...

Also on another thread, check this new game on Kickstarter...

June 5, 2013 3:12:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sinperium,

He is basically working on the engine right now but also has someof the ship combat done.

The game will be somewhere between Sins and GalCiv in concept.

Will be interesting to see.

OK. Are there any posted plans for gameplay? I think I saw something about procedurally generated ship designs. (He really seems to love procedurally generated stuff) but that doesn't really say much as far as gameplay. "Somewhere between Sins and GalCiv" mean it will be a strategy game?

Quoting G_Bison,

So more like a space-trading game?

June 5, 2013 7:31:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting pomalley,
So more like a space-trading game?

I going to say yes, but the game is still early but, more than likely, yes...

Here's a link and you can read his current and past daily updates he posts...

June 6, 2013 2:50:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, I read a couple of those, and they seem to all be about programming details. (Well, what did I expect from a daily log?) I just haven't seen anywhere on the website where he talks about plans for the gameplay. I'm not saying I absolutely need to know this stuff (I didn't back and won't be playing it until it comes out, in any event), it's just quite a contrast from, say, everything I've read about Jon Shafer's game where it's all gameplay all the time.

June 6, 2013 11:24:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

He has specifically mentioned trading and combat. Open universe is the other mantra he has.  The rest we will see.

June 7, 2013 2:24:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fair enough. (I guess if you're not going to use this kind of engine for trading and combat, then what the heck are you thinking?) Any details? Or just those words?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2015 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.