The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Microsoft Shows New Windows 8 Compatible Hardware

By on July 30, 2012 7:52:47 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

Microsoft announced a bunch of new Windows 8 compatible accessories today.  These include several new mice and keyboards, all of which will work with current hardware along with the upcoming Microsoft Surface.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2012/07/30/new-windows-8-ready-mice-and-keyboards-from-microsoft-hardware.aspx

The Wedge Mobile Keyboard.  Actually looks like a nice portable keyboard.  Would be nice for the Surface or any other tablet PC.

The Wedge Touch Mouse.  This is nice that it has no USB dongle, just Bluetooth.  However, I’m not sure how comfortable that would be using.

Sculpt Touch Mouse.  Sticking with the somewhat “normal” mouse design this has a four-way touch scroll strip.  Very useful for navigating Metro on the desktop.

Images via The Windows Blog.

Locked Post 18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 30, 2012 8:38:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Interesting...

July 30, 2012 8:44:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The Wedge is rather small... but an attention getter. MS getting back into hardware.

July 30, 2012 3:02:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I like the move to Bluetooth, as the dongle system has always annoyed me.  I do wish setting up and dealing with multiple Bluetooth devices was less of a hassle, though.

July 30, 2012 3:12:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,
I like the move to Bluetooth, as the dongle system has always annoyed me.  I do wish setting up and dealing with multiple Bluetooth devices was less of a hassle, though.

True. No 'Wizard' for that, it seems.

July 30, 2012 10:12:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
MS getting back into hardware.

MS never really got out of it... they've pretty much always done keyboards, mice and other PC peripherals

July 31, 2012 7:34:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Microsoft should stick with software as none of that is impressive to me. But then again, neither is Windows 8, so .....

July 31, 2012 9:04:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
Microsoft should stick with software as none of that is impressive to me.

Aw I don't know, if MS does anything well it's their hardware products.  Over the years I've purchased a number of Microsoft hardware items and they've all been well made quality products that have outlasted similar pieces from other manufacturers.  I still have a MS keyboard and mouse combo that I bought in 2004, and 8 years later it still performs without missing a beat... something I cannot say for other brands I've tried.  Their webcams are good as well.

Quoting LightStar,
But then again, neither is Windows 8

That's how I felt about Win 8... until I found that I could completely eradicate Metro and use 8 as I do Win 7.  Sure, it'd be better if it worked that way right out of the box and you didn't have to rely on 3rd party apps to make it that way, but once I installed Winstep Xtreme to enable all my shortcuts and access points, etc. - not to mention restoring the start button and menu - it was like being back in Win 7 only faster.

True, that Metro abomination should be consigned to Hell in an express elevator, but underneath it, there's a decent OS that functions pretty well once you configure it to your needs.

July 31, 2012 9:08:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This , for me is one of the biggest drawback to Touch enabled devices.  Sure, they are "trendy" and portable but then you need some good old-fashioned peripherals to have control in a more traditional/usable manner. I see 3 things one would need to lug around instead of one laptop, all requiring charging and/or batteries. It's not so portable if you have to carry a bag full of parts, chargers and supplies with you.

Touch phones make sense although I don't own one and will fit in your pocket but tablet "computers" (I use the term very loosely) are underpowered,under equipped and overpriced toys, IMHO.

As for Touch screens themselves. Are you kidding?  Every laptop I've had in for repair comes to me with a filthy screen. Most users are either too afraid or too lazy to clean the thing, even if it is almost unusable.  Better make the next gen of tablets dishwasher safe.

July 31, 2012 9:14:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

WindowSteamBlog! <grin>

July 31, 2012 4:30:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I thought this was about some new Microsoft hardware not what someone thinks about Win 8.  I was hoping to get some new information not \s. 

As to Microsoft keyboards and mice I have yet found anything that can beat them for durability, but that just me.

July 31, 2012 6:38:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If they would get a fully functional trackpad like the iMacs have I'd buy it in a second.

Their keyboards and mice have held up pretty good for me.

And yeah, I'm gonna buy a $2000 monitor with hi def, color and 3D and then smear my fingers over it all day.  Morons.

August 1, 2012 12:29:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
And yeah, I'm gonna buy a $2000 monitor with hi def, color and 3D and then smear my fingers over it all day. Morons.

My thoughts exactly!   Besides, I still prefer the mouse and keyboard option anyhow.  Despite touch technology supposedly being faster and more direct, I don't want to sit that close to my monitor, within arms reach.  No, I prefer to sit back farther than that and see all of my 32" screen without having to turn my head to view both sides. I mean, what's the point of having a large screen if you can't sit back to enjoy it.

It may be alright for a pad device or notebook sitting on your lap, but I imagine tired and aching arms would be the likely result when using touch in a desktop environment.  Nope, it's not for me!

August 1, 2012 12:43:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So don't?  MS isn't forcing anyone to use touch.

I know I'm not going to.

August 1, 2012 9:50:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
If they would get a fully functional trackpad like the iMacs have I'd buy it in a second.

Not sure how Win8 will handle it, but you might look into something like this:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/8417

August 1, 2012 5:07:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the heads up, Rosco_P, that Logitech device looks rather interesting indeed.

August 1, 2012 11:33:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting lee3908870,
As to Microsoft keyboards and mice I have yet found anything that can beat them for durability, but that just me.

Not just you....I recently bought 2 more Intellimouse Explorers....the 'big' things that are more comfortable....model 1007.

The old one was getting old....the 'rubber' surfaces had gone a bit tacky.... and the new ones were half the price of the original at the time....

August 1, 2012 11:35:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And I bought a second [spare] diNovo Edge [though that's Logitech]....again half the price of what it was....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.