The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Final votes for Beta 3

Please vote

By on May 2, 2012 6:13:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you have played Beta 3 of Fallen Enchantress and haven't voted, please do so.

http://www.elementalgame.com/journals

At the start of each beta, we collect the data from about 500 beta testers and use that to gauge progress.  It's all relative to each beta.

+20 Karma | 33 Replies
May 2, 2012 10:04:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So far beta 3 is much better than the other betas and much more stable, yet I am still dealing with the occasional crash to desktop and turn button sticking.

Fix those issues and the game will be good, but to make it excellent there needs to be way more spells and more random events.

Also I wouldnt mind seeing the following:

1. I would like to be able to upgrade old units with new equipment when its researched.

2. I would like for heal wounds to be added to the life spell book.

3. Also death needs to be balanced and life magic needs to be brought up a few notches in power.

4. There needs to be some form of spell or building that you can build that will protect your city from enemy spells.

5. Now concerning spells every school needs to have at least one single target direct damage spells, one aoe direct damage spell, one debuff, one crowd control, and one strategic damage or debuff spell. Also there needs to be at least 3 global spells for each school.

Examples:

1. Life
    1. One global regen spell that affects all allied units.
    2. Fountain of Life - A global spell that doubles food generation and population growth.
    3. A global spell blesses all allied units.
  2. Death
    1. A global curse on all enemy units entering the players zone of control.
    2. A global buff that causes enemies that die in combat to have a chance of coming back as zombies under that players control.
    3. A global curse that lowers all enemy players production.
  3. Fire
    1. Armageddon - a global spell that causes meteor showers to rain down on random parts of the map every turn.
    2. A global spell that places flame blade on all allied units.
    3. Drought - a global spell that halves the food generation of all enemy players, causing populations to starve off.
  4. Earth
    1. Gold Rush - doubles the gold generation of all friendly cities.
    2. Volcanic Instability - causes volcanoes to appear and erupt at random areas on the map.
  5. Air
    1. Enchant Roads - Enchants all roads in your zone of control, effectively doubling their movement bonus.
    2. Fierce Winds - Causes tornadoes to appear in random portions of the map.
    3. Global Guardian Winds spell on all allied units.
    4. Some form of global spell that has a chance of dispelling all spells cast by enemy players.
  6. Water
    1. Deluge - Causes flooding in random portions of the map as well as halving the movement speed of all units outside of your zone of control.
    2. Another global spell that causes random enemy cities to be affected by freezing temperatures for 5 turns, that halt the cities productions and causes all units that step out of the city to take cold damage.  
May 3, 2012 12:15:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If I remember well I voted fair.

Please fix the crash bugs

Next more race differenciation and then more earth magic spell, see all my previous post.

And finally city combat with walls.

Tactical combat really need elements to obstruct the player / monsters to make it more interesting.

And those are really the only things I'd like to see in-game, the rest is amazing !!!! Thanks a lot !!!

Saw warlock master of the arcane and that game disapoint me a lot but I like their race differentiation a lot and how different they play *hint*

Anyway, fe is already so much better than warlock totalbiscuit really destroyed war of magic but he's eager to test FE well, in the warlock test he mention FE crashing too much for him to make a video

May 3, 2012 1:55:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There was a post by Brad Wardell on this about two weeks ago, I cannot seem to find it. Has it been radically edited, or even removed?

May 3, 2012 3:55:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I voted Good. I think the game is much closer to being amazing than a lot of people have been saying, apart from the city building thing (which is known about). I think the game is nearly there, the choices are there it just the AI to push the player to make them.

May 3, 2012 4:21:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm having a blast playing the game. I wish there were more summons, though. Also, there's a whole bunch of small issues that I hope get ironed out before release (see support forum). I voted Excellent. Although I'm not sure how we are supposed to judge the game, for a beta 2-3-4 or more months from release, it is excellent.

May 3, 2012 4:55:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Captin Dan,

I voted Good. I think the game is much closer to being amazing than a lot of people have been saying, apart from the city building thing (which is known about). I think the game is nearly there, the choices are there it just the AI to push the player to make them.

Same, but I really am not sure I like the vote (I mean what makes a Beta "excellent?").  I mean I really like the way the game is shaping up, but this is Beta.  It's not supposed to be a game demo.  That said, I have been enjoying it as a demo finally.  Previous builds have been far to unstable for me to even 'test,' to the point where I couldn't even get maps to load.

Now it seems that the majority of my CTD are after tactical battles or when clicking a little too fast on menus when 'stuff' is happening in the background.

May 3, 2012 5:05:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I voted good,I was not sure wether to chose good or excellent, but for excellent I think there is still room for improvement, ie more faction differentation, etc.

However I'd say it's somewhere between good and excellent and it will become a very special game.

I still find it a pity they didn't go with the more known fantasy races seen in MoM/AoW because that would have made it much easier for them.( for faction differentiation, fantasy flavour ) Still they're doing a really good job in that area and it's coming along well.

They didn't go that path does make the game more original and I love the fact of starting in a dangerous world, again more original.

btw the Arcane Monolith spell is really cool. Ideas like this are really fun and make the player feel more like a great wizard.

For the first time I'm playing a game of E/FE where I'm thinking: " This is really fun! ".

May 3, 2012 5:40:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Jopis79, be sure to keep an eye on the Stormworld mod: http://forums.elementalgame.com/421802

May 3, 2012 5:43:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I voted good because the beta now has finally started to become a true game, and not just a prototype/proof of concept.

Hawever the beta is nowhere near a release statut yet, even ignoring the few bugs remaining, there is still a lot of work needing to be done on balance and game flow to become the great game that it has the potential to be.

Please keep going !

May 3, 2012 5:56:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does anyone know where the post by Brad is asking us to vote?

May 3, 2012 6:48:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting onomastikon,

It has apparently been deleted, you can no longer find the thread, or Brads posts in his post history. I could not even find my own post.

Im quite certain they decided that the whole thing was just too embarrassing. I would have liked to keep that thread for future reference.

The only way I could find it again was to google my own post and then view the google cache:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vWjikjPqVlcJ:forums.elementalgame.com/422922/page/8/+%22FrenziedFan%22+unprofessional&cd=1&hl=sv&ct=clnk&gl=se&client=opera

May 3, 2012 9:45:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting FrenziedFan,

Quoting onomastikon,
reply 10

It has apparently been deleted, you can no longer find the thread, or Brads posts in his post history. I could not even find my own post.

Yikes!!

May 3, 2012 10:23:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting FrenziedFan,

Quoting onomastikon, reply 10

Im quite certain they decided that the whole thing was just too embarrassing. I would have liked to keep that thread for future reference.

The only way I could find it again was to google my own post and then view the google cache:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vWjikjPqVlcJ:forums.elementalgame.com/422922/page/8/+%22FrenziedFan%22+unprofessional&cd=1&hl=sv&ct=clnk&gl=se&client=opera

I saw that and was personally angered and disappointed in stardock. Its one thing to lock a thread and say okay we are done discussing this. Its quite another to try and pretend it never happened and sweep it under the rug. pathetic move guys, really pathetic.

May 3, 2012 10:45:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just to review the bidding, I voted "Good" on the Beta 3, up from "Fair" on the Beta 2.  IMHO:

FE is a fun game already; it is gettng steadily better; and I am confident it eventually will be Great !  

May 3, 2012 12:03:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I saw that and was personally angered and disappointed in stardock. Its one thing to lock a thread and say okay we are done discussing this. Its quite another to try and pretend it never happened and sweep it under the rug. pathetic move guys, really pathetic.

I think that thread was a turning point where Brad gave up on caring what the forum zealots think. 

May 3, 2012 12:08:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The other thread's view access was increased. It wasn't deleted. The feedback in the thread is being evaluated.

May 3, 2012 2:43:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure it was fair of me to vote "fair"... The more I play the more I enjoy it. With the upcoming adjustments to city building I think this will be close to excellent.

I do crash more than I have with any previous beta though.

May 3, 2012 2:51:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Perhaps there should be more events (like raging xy or marauding Bandit Lord x in the west/north/...appearing in x turns, or "global quests" (like missions that every player can fulfill) to make the world more "non static vital".

More movement/changes and "non-fighting-interesting-places"... perhaps travelling traders, smiths looking for ressources to sell special weapons, Castles where Collectors of rare Weapons live, mercaneries that work for you for several turns for money, Bounty hunting, neutral fractions with special interests or missions, Druids protecting their holy super-earth shard, witches evoking a demon at a stone ring... more "pseudo-roleplaying" making the world vital and telling storys... that would perhaps to much, but very nice would be when your actions would create positive or negative reactions (at neutral fractions?) or at least when you would gain influence-points.

I also liked the marry-idea in Elemental.

We have a fantasy-world here that can be creative filled, it has not only to be kill&loot.

The quests are good, but I would like to see more of this kind of gameplay.

May 3, 2012 2:53:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Judging as a finished game, not just a beta, I went with "good." I've been playing since the very first WoM beta, and up until now I always felt like Elemental had potential, but hadn't quite realized it yet. Starting with this release I think FE is genuinely enjoyable to play in its own right, and not just because I'm excited about where the game is heading - it finally feels like we've gotten there, great work.

That being said, FE has a lot of little balance/variety/general "polish" issues that hold it back from "excellent," so I'm looking forward to seeing the game get even better before the official 1.0 release. But the basic game mechanics finally feel solid, and those other things are small changes, FE is definitely approaching "excellent" in my book.

May 3, 2012 3:15:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"I always felt like Elemental had potential, but hadn't quite realized it yet." is exactly what I think, too.

The question always was "will it realize it/finish it at all?"

The main difference between Elemental and FE are for me the noticeable presence of opponents in FE.

Elemental was a little bit like playing alone sometimes.

It is more concentrated right now, where Elemental wanted everything but nothing really was finished.

For me some things of these "Elemental everythings" can return one day as expansions, when the main game is ready.

You can say I voted a "fair+". It is true that it is close to good, seen technical, but I am not sure how to see it as a long-time-motivating strategy game for ambitious players and if the AI ( or the illusion of AI) will arrive a level at difficulty "challenging" or "hard" that makes dealing with the opponents an interesting challenging fun.

I do not know how close is 0912 to the final game.

Sounds close to me, but on the other hand you can count endless, even when you count patches as well, so the steps can be 091 to 1.2 but it could also be 0912001 to 1.20001.

May 3, 2012 3:23:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can the BETA POLE be made a little more in depth than a 1 question survey?  Maybe 1 question on each main area of development?  AI, Combat, Faction Diversity, Stability, Fun, overall impression... etc?

May 3, 2012 3:29:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FE is looking much, much better.

There are still some stability issues and some serious polishing issues,  but we are getting there.

Please, Stardock, heed the suggestions from some of my fellow forum members. They have provided some amazing feedback. Some of it is so good that you couldn't buy it anywhere and they gave it to you for free.

May 3, 2012 3:33:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I voted good. However, I don't necessarily think the game is "good" yet, due to the inadequate AI, balance issues, and obviously polish. But I do believe the game is going in the right direction, and positive forward momentum is being maintained. I agree with all the changes that have been made so far, even if only conceptually.

So, good on you, Stardock. Even despite my misgivings about certain aspects of the game, I'm still raving about it to my friends in the hope that they will get on the beta.

May 3, 2012 3:37:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cparkin01,

Can the BETA POLE be made a little more in depth than a 1 question survey?  Maybe 1 question on each main area of development?  AI, Combat, Faction Diversity, Stability, Fun, overall impression... etc?

Second this idea. It'd be interesting to see which specific areas of gameplay people want improvements to in order to get them up to "excellent" (if they're not already there). For me it's: AI, faction diversity, and balance of the tech trees/the different paths to victory.

You could actually do it with two questions: overall impression, and which area of the game do you think needs most improvement (like this poll combined with that one we got earlier). Although being able to rate every game area as excellent/good/fair/poor would be even better.

May 3, 2012 4:44:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

units seem to be stronger then heroes late game- much so before magic- which would seem to relegate casters to buff bots late game. I was playing as GIlden and at the end of the tech tree companies had a attack value of like 200 plus and some crazy defense as well. No champion of any level can compete with that. I'm not sure if this is a balance issue but I would like to see more champ damage scaling based off of level.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000532   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.