The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

LONG play-through of the Beta of Fallen Enchantress

By on April 28, 2012 11:31:25 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Listen to me bitch and moan while I play Beta 3 of Elemental: Fallen Enchantress.

+80 Karma | 15 Replies
April 29, 2012 1:07:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can say, you're a great player Brad!  A Forest Drake destroyed your capital, oh well.  I guess I will have to make sure I defend my capitals well.

April 29, 2012 1:16:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey Brad, you play your turns too quickly and autoresolve too much!

April 29, 2012 4:24:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yea, I do tend to zip through the games a bit fast. 

April 29, 2012 4:50:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and taken that young ogre at the beginning. One or two flamebolts and a hit from your golem would have done it. Also I noticed you don't bother to get first strike much, I find it makes a huge difference.

April 29, 2012 5:46:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Firestorm is totally glitched... Hopefully you noticed how much, Brad! It should do damage to units, but not wipe out whole cities and armies. With the amount of damage it should be doing, many of those armies you nuked should have lived. Also, the damage from the afterburn effect is not enough to kill your sovereign by a long shot, and yet it seems to kill your sov and your heroes about 12 times when you walk on there. Something is wrong here!

April 30, 2012 3:21:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think that you being able to build a second tower of dominion when you already had one was a bug.

It did not appear that you built one yourself but gained one when you took Lord Markin's city.

I noticed that you destroyed built resources on your way to take a city, it is better to leave them if they are in the city's area of influence as you then gain them already built on the next turn. 

The arcane monolith spell is quite cool and powerful.  One thing to do is to destroy an outpost and replace it with a monolith the same turn.  This converts the resources to yours already built on the next turn.  This can also be done with pioneers and outposts but is easier with the spell.      

A spell book with tabs or bookmarks for the different types of spells would be very useful.   Please suggest it to Derek.

April 30, 2012 1:05:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Who else here would love a lot more of these "long" play-throughs?  I love seeing how the developer plays his own game.

April 30, 2012 3:26:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome play through.  This was a blast to watch.   Firestorm FTW!

April 30, 2012 5:12:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"If I can do it, it's not a bug" 

Spoken like a true demi-god!  

April 30, 2012 7:35:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i'm glad you caught that bug where AI doesn't get all the goodie huts.

April 30, 2012 8:48:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A few things I noticed on the tactical side-

AI should probably do defensive buffs before offensive ones

Defense buff should be cast on the unit tanking damage (a lot of time mana seemed wasted casting stoneskin on the sov, who wasn't being targeted)

Step your regular unit back when its about to die.  Save the unit to fight another day.

I guess I notice that stuff more when watching rather than directly playing.

I also tend to try to make a more powerful killer stack so that I can wipe an area of the big baddies so that I don't lose as much time to having roamers take down cities and outposts.  If you can keep stuff alive and not keep rebuilding units its not too bad.  Its definitely harder in .911/.912 than before though.

I also noticed that kind of like me the tech research was all over, wasn't really trying to become good at any one thing or feeling directed down a path by resources/ needing to worry about economy (other than mana lack early on).

Anyways, interesting to watch and see some of the things other people were trying out, just tossing the thoughts I had while watching (as well as crying noooo!  when you walked into firestorm . .again . .)

May 1, 2012 7:10:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I enjoyed watching this, I hope you will do more in the future. 

The auto-battle AI seems to suck at spell casting, wasting lots of mana buffing your champion/sovereign when your other units can handle the enemy unit alone. Direct damage spells should be prioritized in easy battles, with buffs only being used if the battle is very close or if you are outmatched. 

I think you should clear out monsters and monster lairs more aggressivley. You lost so many resources over the course of the game, including gold and time to build them, I think it would have paid off to let Magnar build up while you went around hunting. I agree that adding improvements to outposts such as defender bonuses and militia will help reduce micromanagement, but it doesn't protect your resources, only the outposts.

I feel like you should have developed your champions more. Generally your sovereign is pretty tough, especially as a spell caster. The free flame dart spell from your staff seemed pretty useful. I would have given all the armor and weapons to my champion, and left the scraps to my sovereign. I think this would have made you end up with 2 powerful units in the end instead of just 1.

May 1, 2012 9:44:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting UmbralAngel,

The auto-battle AI seems to suck at spell casting, wasting lots of mana buffing your champion/sovereign when your other units can handle the enemy unit alone. Direct damage spells should be prioritized in easy battles, with buffs only being used if the battle is very close or if you are outmatched. 

I wanted to say the same thing, also in the battle of 18:26 the AI cast a buff spell and doesn't move and moves the next turn and doesn't cast. These two turns could have been joined in one for the same result. The AI also looks like it played Dominions 3, letting the heroes act like Super Combatens. Two turns casting spells is a lot when the battle is over in three turns.

May 1, 2012 12:16:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

gotta love your personality "get back over here you aint gettin away" "oh sh*t"  "who's your daddy"  

I know it's still a bit away, but I can't wait to see a video of ya'll stardockians playin mulitplayer - I think it'll be epic with all the different strategies & treaties that are sure to happen.  If I were you I would go for the Diplomacy win since I think it rare one would want to attack the hand that pays them.  Might be nice to have a vid from each persons perspective.

May 1, 2012 12:41:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For the record, I like the "hunh!" sound of people getting hit in tactical battles.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000407   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.