The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Windows 8 Editions Revealed

By on April 16, 2012 8:19:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+759

One of my biggest gripes with Windows in past years has been the ridiculous amount of versions/SKU’s for Windows.  It was confusing to both consumers and business customers, and I was concerned this would happen again to Windows 8.  I was wrong and I am glad about that.

Today Microsoft announced the Windows 8 Editions and there are only a few to choose from:  Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro and Windows RT.

For PCs and tablets powered by x86 processors (both 32 and 64 bit), we will have two editions: Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro. For many consumers, Windows 8 will be the right choice. It will include all the features above plus an updated Windows Explorer, Task Manager, better multi-monitor support and the ability to switch languages on the fly (more details on this feature can be found in this blog post),which was previously only available in Enterprise/Ultimate editions of Windows. For China and a small set of select emerging markets, we will offer a local language-only edition of Windows 8.

Windows RT is the ARM version and will only be available on PC’s and Tablets pre-installed.  This edition will also include a touch optimized version of Office.

I’m glad they have simplified Windows 8, and I’m looking even more forward to getting the final release.

Check the Windows Blog for a comparison of features between editions.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

Locked Post 47 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 16, 2012 8:36:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm going for the Not On My PC Edition.

April 16, 2012 8:38:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LOL, the blog says, "It’s beautiful".  Yeah right, it looks like the boxes Fisher Price toys come in.

April 16, 2012 9:11:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Not On My PC

April 16, 2012 9:25:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A price range might be nice to see for some but not for me.  If Windows 8 was a Free upgrade right now I would stay with Windows 7.

April 16, 2012 10:24:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,
Today Microsoft announced the Windows 8 Editions and there are only a few to choose from:  Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro and Windows RT.

Finally.  The 30 billion Vista/7 eds were BS.

April 16, 2012 11:16:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Microsoft's finally learning from their mistakes.  It's back to just two flavors, just like in the XP era (before they added that Media Center crud. )

April 16, 2012 11:44:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting VistArtXPosed,
Microsoft's finally learning from their mistakes.
If that were true, Windows 7 would be a stopping point.

April 16, 2012 11:46:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting VistArtXPosed,
Microsoft's finally learning from their mistakes.  It's back to just two flavors, just like in the XP era (before they added that Media Center crud. )

I have only been using XP since I got into computers, but now that I have been introduced to 7, I see why people don't like Media Center, its just hard to use, plain and simple.

April 17, 2012 12:51:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If they don't fix the stuff Brad's complaining about, I'm not purchasing a downgrade.

April 17, 2012 12:53:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Quoting gevansmd,
LOL, it looks like the boxes Fisher Price toys come in.

Quoting Zeta1127,

its just hard to use, plain and simple.
Lmfao

April 17, 2012 7:29:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Anyone ever heard the term "ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!"? What a waste of my TechNet Subscription.

April 17, 2012 9:41:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
Anyone ever heard the term "ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!"? What a waste of my TechNet Subscription.

And to think I was going to purchase a TechNet subscription prior to the next OS release. This was shortly after purchasing Win 7 for 3 machines [no family license available here in Oz] and finding out about the benefits of a TechNet sub after the fact, but now I'm not so sure. While Office and past Oses are available through it, my primary reason to have purchased a Technet sub would have been to furnish 4 PC's with the next OS, and to date I have not been convinced that Win 8 is indeed an upgrade to Win 7. 

I have played a bit with the Win 8 Customer Preview and I don't mind working within the regular desktop, it's not too much different to Win 7 underneath, but if we're always forced back into Metro as the default OS, and it cannot be disabled, then there would have to be some more than compelling features/reason for me to purchase Win 8.

April 17, 2012 9:48:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
I have played a bit with the Win 8 Customer Preview and I don't mind working within the regular desktop, it's not too much different to Win 7 underneath, but if we're always forced back into Metro as the default OS, and it cannot be disabled, then there would have to be some more than compelling features/reason for me to purchase Win 8
After you got Win8 set up, how much time did you spend in Metro?  I never do anymore.

April 17, 2012 10:16:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
After you got Win8 set up, how much time did you spend in Metro? I never do anymore.

I spend no time in Metro once I'm into what I want to do.  However, I find that I'm taken back to Metro too often, like after reboots and other interruptions.... and it always has to be negotiated at startup.  For me that's an annoyance I'd rather not have to deal with.  Admittedly, Winstep Xtreme takes much of the Metro pain away, but I'd rather that Metro could be disabled entirely so that I do not have to deal with it at all.

Microsoft may think its smart in trying to marry different platforms under one OS, but I never use those other technologies and do not want the abomination that is Metro forced upon me as the default UI.

April 17, 2012 10:19:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've not tried it yet, but here is a link to skip or switch to the desktop on startup.  http://www.wiztechie.com/2012/03/windows-8-consumer-preview-bypass-metro-start-screen-and-show-desktop-on-startup/

April 17, 2012 11:53:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the heads up, Aaron, I'll give it a try once I've had some sleep.... 1.52am here in Oz and I'm tired as.

April 17, 2012 4:22:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
I've not tried it yet, but here is a link to skip or switch to the desktop on startup.  http://www.wiztechie.com/2012/03/windows-8-consumer-preview-bypass-metro-start-screen-and-show-desktop-on-startup/[/quote]

I'm sad that I had to ditch win8.  It was way more efficient.

But no drivers for my 3g modem and gaming was less than stellar for many titles.  

(Yes, I can still use it with internet, no, I'm not going to dual boot.  Too annoying.)

April 17, 2012 7:29:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RDP access is the only feature of XP/Vista/7 home that was missing that I always needed.  Hopefully they will allow it in 8, but I doubt it.

April 17, 2012 9:49:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gevansmd,
LOL, the blog says, "It’s beautiful".  Yeah right, it looks like the boxes Fisher Price toys come in.

hahaha, good one!

April 17, 2012 10:23:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Agreed.  Not until there is a Metro-less release.

April 17, 2012 10:27:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Haaaaaaaa! the boo birds are out again. . .

April 17, 2012 10:38:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting lee3908870,
Haaaaaaaa! the boo birds are out again. . .

It all comes down to being a customer or user and our own individual choices.  It's not always that folks are reluctant to change. 

April 17, 2012 11:20:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows 8

Windows 8

Fisher Price

Fisher Price

April 18, 2012 12:11:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The other thing that pisses me off about Metro apps concept is MS' trying to emulate Apple, etc, and cash in on other folks works by taking a 30% slice off the top.  While it may seem a paltry amount per app, though probably not to the author, it will net MS millions upon millions, and for mine, that's just not right.  It's certainly not a market I will buy into... or from.  All the functionality and eye candy I need is in my purchased software and freeware I've downloaded, so apps and tile thingies are not something that'll get on my systems.

April 18, 2012 12:58:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting gevansmd,
Windows 8

Reduced 75%Original 800 x 450

Fisher Price

Reduced 88%Original 500 x 500

sooooo use the dev preview instead of the consumer preview a lot to 'prove' your point do you

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time: