The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Yes, The Political Machine 2012 is coming

By on April 3, 2012 3:07:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I’ve been getting a lot of emails in recent weeks asking if Stardock is going to make a 2012 edition of The Political Machine.  The answer is: YES. 

The Political Machine is a PC strategy game where players run for President. You can play against a computer opponent (which is fun) or against a human over the Internet (which is sick fun).  This year, we’re doing things with it a bit differently. It’s going to focus just on the 2012 election (rather than throwing in historical elections and fantasy elections which tended to dilute the experience) so that we can make it available at a much lower price – $6.95 to pre-order.

While The Political Machine has always been designed to be a “game” first, its statistical model is robust enough that it’s been used in schools to help teach players about Presidential elections.

This year’s election is looking particularly exciting.  As some may recall, the game accurately predicted the results in 49 out of 50 states in 2004 (the original edition) and predicted the results in 2008 as well – months before the election in both cases.

Here’s the home page:

http://www.politicalmachine.com/

Here’s the official announcement:

http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=2717

+897 Karma | 36 Replies
April 3, 2012 4:03:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Will it be based on the WoM/FE engine? Or the old one used by GalCiv 2?

April 3, 2012 4:28:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Actually TPM 2008 used Kumquat.

April 3, 2012 4:38:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can we play as Steven Colbert?

Smiles slowly over a period of 25 seconds

April 3, 2012 7:48:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I bought and played the 2008 version after getting it recommended to me by the then editor of Gamepolitics.com. The game was a blast to play. However, if there is one glaring weakness to be found in that game, one that I hope they rectify in this version, is the lack of third parties.

Granted, I know that running as a third party in the real world with its current political climate is a sure fire way to not get elected president, it would be nice for a fictional simulation of the race for president to allow for such a choice. In fiction, anything is possible. So why couldn't a third party win in a video game?

April 3, 2012 8:35:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Editorial_Games,
So why couldn't a third party win in a video game?
Likely because the fictional masses which actually vote in the game just watch the TV ads from whoever slings the most money around.

Note: I am an Independent voter and am not party affiliated. I'll vote for whoever I think would make the best president whether it be in the main elections or in a primary.

As I recall, TPM 2008 was a blast.

April 3, 2012 8:39:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Vote for me and I'll turn america into the Kingdom of Nation Kingdom.

April 3, 2012 9:29:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I belong to the Robot party.

"Death to Humans"

April 3, 2012 9:32:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

"Death to Humans"

Works for me!

April 3, 2012 11:15:41 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

"Death to Humans"

Good thing I'm full of that stuff called 'Awesome-Sauce' instead of that blood silly humans use!

April 3, 2012 11:39:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm.

So who is going to win this year's election?

April 4, 2012 1:42:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Probably not the Republicans. They have no viable candidates.

Re: Robot Party

I am a Robosexual. Is this party for or against robotic marriage?

April 4, 2012 1:56:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting seanw3,
I am a Robosexual. Is this party for or against robotic marriage?

Well if you're a human, I think they're going to kill you so your foolish concept of marriage has no meaning for them.

April 4, 2012 2:05:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Then I am starting a new party. 

All join the Autocrat Party!

April 4, 2012 2:19:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not sure about the omission of the other sorts of elections, the historical and fantasy ones. Seems like taking them out makes the game lose something, and it certainly makes the game less of a successful teaching tool. But the cheaper price point is definitely a good idea from a business standpoint. Maybe try releasing historical elections as DLC?

This also reminds me that Kumquat can apparently handle province-oriented games, what with the states. It would be cool if Stardock made a Grand Strategy game, It's not great that Paradox effectively monopolizes that market, and considering how their AI is it shouldn't be too hard for Stardock to win a slice of that pie.

Quoting Tasunke,
So who is going to win this year's election?
By the polls, Obama.

April 4, 2012 2:59:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Editorial_Games,
Granted, I know that running as a third party in the real world with its current political climate is a sure fire way to not get elected president, it would be nice for a fictional simulation of the race for president to allow for such a choice. In fiction, anything is possible. So why couldn't a third party win in a video game?
I'd like to see the independents included. They have impact. And there is strategy in the parallel running of independents, and other wildcards to weaken an opponents base. And there is potential for an independent to take the highest office. There just needs the proper impetus. Perot came close. Had he not dropped out, he would have garnered a great many votes. There is a history of third party influence. But I can imagine some difficulties with adding them to the game.

Perhaps 2012 is the year of the independents. In the past I've supported both parties. Just been a matter of finding who represents best. Sometimes the pickings are slim, but the field was often broad. That's changed. One party has become radicalized. The other ineffectual and scattered. The radical party solidifies its stranglehold. Entire industries are parts of its power base. The titans of these industries hold unelected seats, in high public office. Our Ag bills being written by the giants of Agriculture. Much more. Consolidation of great power. One result of which being seen in congress. One party ineffectual against the established power of its radicalized opponent. It's a new climate. With greater stakes.

People have feared an independent vote was a wasted vote. Or a vote that might help a "bad guy" win. But when one party can totally stymie the other, even while having less seats in a house... people lose confidence. "One guy or the other, whats the difference anymore!?". The party_with_power owns it. The 'party in power' grows irrelevant.  

A Third Party? 

A climate for a third party develops. A perfect storm of sorts. Seen on the streets. Heard through mainstream and social media. A diverse and varied presence across the net. There is significant population comprised of adherents from both parties, who feel disfranchised from party representation. Enough to tip the scales? I don't know, who's out there running? Frackin media whoreouts. The affected public is gonna have to do some of this. The unaffected public will split a third of the vote evenly. One half a 1/3 to each of the two parties. So what about the majority 2/3's? Will they be diluted to apathy and 2 party voting. Or will enough be affected towards change, to create a raucous rally of a viable third party alternative? Show couch sitting media babes of all stripes, that there is momentum behind an alternate. A third choice whose popularity is rising. Someone worth a look. A real candidate with growing support. Grassroots gone Wildfire. 

Wouldn't it be fun to duke it out in game, as an independent versus the RNC and DNC?

April 4, 2012 9:29:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Can we play as Steven Colbert?

Smiles slowly over a period of 25 seconds

LOVE THIS!

Thankfully you can create your own characters as needed.

April 4, 2012 12:29:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
LOVE THIS!

Thankfully you can create your own characters as needed.

So that's a yes? 

April 4, 2012 1:07:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it possible to be part of the 'U.N. bloodline' trait: receive practicly limitless amounts of finance to support your party & 'their' agenda, would get bonuses to media coverage (support/coverups), helpfull *$$*$$in*tion$, union thugs with the 'blockaid voting lines' ability, would have greater access to the bigger scope of things that would help you overcome most moral decisions, & so on (anyone ever watch tha movie 'The Whistle Blower'?)

edit: please fell free to delete this if you see fit & please forgive me if I've said to much as I drink all day & don't know how to shut up sometimes

April 4, 2012 1:18:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Not only Colbert (although I'm not sure if he was ever officially in it), but perhaps Perry, Bachmann, Cain (sex scandals included!), Huntsman, and others?

I understand the desire to focus it on the actual happenings of 2012, but I think most of us would find it more interesting with all of the 2011/2012 candidates.

In particular, with the plethora (unironic use) of Republican candidates as opposed to the inabundance of Democrat candidates, the game would seem rather empty without the full cast.

April 4, 2012 1:24:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Sole Soul,
Not only Colbert (although I'm not sure if he was ever officially in it), but perhaps Perry, Bachmann, Cain (sex scandals included!), Huntsman, and others?

I understand the desire to focus it on the actual happenings of 2012, but I think most of us would find it more interesting with all of the 2011/2012 candidates.

In particular, with the plethora (unironic use) of Republican candidates as opposed to the inabundance of Democrat candidates, the game would seem rather empty without the full cast.

They're all in there.  You can even go on the Colbert Report in the game.

April 4, 2012 1:34:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Sold.

April 4, 2012 1:52:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

That would be awesome if the game showed up on an episode of The Colbert Report! I'd love to see Brad on the show.

April 4, 2012 2:37:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sold

April 4, 2012 2:52:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

From TPM2008:

April 4, 2012 4:21:35 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting jackswift85,

Quoting Frogboy, reply 20

Sold.

(Comedy) Gold.

This sounds like a winner; thanks, Brad & co.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.